PDA

View Full Version : Minor Leauge Baseball and Throwing Balls up to the Crowd

The Voice of IH
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I attened my first minor league game yesterday, a 10:05 (am) start here at Canal Park home of the Akron Areos. It was like 'school day' or something where over 200 kids showed up to the ball park on a field trip.

When a ball was fouled back though, the ball boy would never throw a ball up to the screaming kids. their dissappoinment was evident. It got me thinking, do most minor league parks not throw balls into the crowed.

I find that getting a ball from a professional game usually helps kids get into the game, thus being good business to throw them. You are creating fans.

But the Areos did not, and it was apparent to me at least that he had no intention of throwing any ball up their way. Is this the norm around minor league parks, or is something up here in Akron?

Random Question, not a big deal but just interested. :lol:

cinreds21
04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
They do. The ball boys aren't really "allowed" to though. The players will all the time.

Danny Serafini
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Ball boys aren't allowed to at Toledo Mud Hens games. Players do though.

GOYA
04-14-2011, 04:17 PM
In Louisville, players do it all the time. Sometimes even walking over to the railing and talking to kids as they hand them a ball. Sweet tosses every ball he gets to a kid.

The Voice of IH
04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
See, that just seems wrong to me. Why are Ball Boys not allowed to throw balls up. I feel like it is bad business not to.

VR
04-15-2011, 12:18 AM
The best and worst of it.....

At a game last year....I watched DRH field balls in batting practice and pretend to throw them to kids in the stands, only to laugh and throw them back in. Very disturbing.

The king for the Reds has to be Jordan Smith....who threw 50% of every ball he fielded to fans in the recent series in AZ. Very cool to see.

I'm just stunned overall at the lack of fan engagement at games these days.....and we wonder why the Reds can't draw more fans.

Danny Serafini
04-15-2011, 12:43 AM
The king for the Reds has to be Jordan Smith....who threw 50% of every ball he fielded to fans in the recent series in AZ. Very cool to see.

Seems inconvenient for him to be sawing balls in half like that. :p