PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs Thread 2011:

Pages : 1 [2]

HotCorner
06-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Awesome job by the Mavs with that epic comeback! Nowitzki was so clutch. Now THAT's a closer.

Eric_the_Red
06-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Do you think Bosh sent Nowitzki a paper invitation, an evite or a Facebook event invite for the clear lane to the basket he gave him?

No Heat player came to help and Bosh gave up too much floor with a foul to give on the game winning shot. Terrible defense.

WVRed
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Are you kidding? This is the price I pay for being a Reds fan and not paying allegiance to the other dopey teams that play in Ohio. Where is LaBron from? Where did he play up until this year? Typical Ohio bias. Also, LaBron has always been the media's darling and a lot of people just blindly follows what the media tells them to do- see presidential election 2000.

These responses are milk and cookies compared to what happens when I wander over to the OSU thread. (How's Mr. Sweater-Vest working out for you guys? ) Or check out the responses I received when I made a few innocent comments re Marquette's smacking of Xavier. The Bengals and Browns- not even worth posting about (The Pack is back!).

I forgot- here's something else on Dwyane's resume that Labron will never accomplish:

http://www.nba.com/heat/news/wade_soy_061204.html

Seriously, it's LEBRON

I obviously don't follow Marquette with any regularity, but from what I watched in this years NCAA tournament, I doubt the result would have been any different with Buzz Williams at the helm. He was taken to task by Ole Roy the same way Crean was, and Williams was the coach at Kansas then.

As for the UK loss, I'm with WMR. If Wade was only playing at 50% due to injury, do you think the results would have been a little more different? I don't know that Kentucky would have won with a healthy Bogans, but it would have made the game a lot closer. It's not even on my top painful losses for UK.

But to quote Al McGuire: "They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...."

You've only got six more national championships to go before you catch up. :)

Mutaman
06-03-2011, 01:26 PM
You've only got six more national championships to go before you catch up. :)

The Yankees have won twenty something more championships than the Reds. That still doesn't diminish the Yankee's level of suckitude.

Mutaman
06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
The ole LeBron choke job. It's about time.

He certainly didn't choke but I'm not sure dribbling the ball around for 24 seconds and then hoisting 40 footers (as LeBron seemed to be doing the entire 4th quarter) was a good game plan. Also Marion really schooled him on the other end. I've never been a big fan of Dirk's, but he showed me something last night. Also, can't let Dallas have an 11 rebound edge.

reds44
06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
He was 0 for (I think 4) with 2 points in the 4th quarter of a game where his team blew a 15 point lead or whatever it was.

That's choking.

WVRed
06-03-2011, 03:18 PM
The Yankees have won twenty something more championships than the Reds. That still doesn't diminish the Yankee's level of suckitude.

http://humour.200ok.com.au/img/pancake_bunny.jpg

Mutaman
06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
http://humour.200ok.com.au/img/pancake_bunny.jpg

Let me try to explain it slowly and carefully. I have to keep in mind the level of education we're dealing with here. Its called an analogy, or to be more specific, a metaphor. It was an implied comparison between two unlike things, the New York Yankees and the University of Kentucky, that actually have something in common: they've both won a lot of championships and they both suck.

WVRed
06-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Let me try to explain it slowly and carefully. I have to keep in mind the level of education we're dealing with here. Its called an analogy, or to be more specific, a metaphor. It was an implied comparison between two unlike things, the New York Yankees and the University of Kentucky, that actually have something in common: they've both won a lot of championships and they both suck.

Yeah, I get it's an analogy. It's just an absolutely horrible one.

One's in first place in their division and the other is a preseason no 2 ranked team in the nation next year. Yeah, they both suck.

You might want to try to do some research before talking smack.

KoryMac5
06-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Jordan would have driven a stake through the Mavs hearts last night. While Lebron is the best player in the NBA he ain't Michael Jordan, yet. Nice to see the soft label being removed from Nowitzki.

TeamSelig
06-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Nothin wrong with being below Jordan in terms of killing the opponents spirit, hopes, and will to win.

KoryMac5
06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Nothin wrong with being below Jordan in terms of killing the opponents spirit, hopes, and will to win.

There is something wrong with losing at home up 15 with a chance to go up 2-0. Mavs were did in the water. Jordan had the ability to suck the life out of opponents. The Bron doesn't quite have that killer instinct yet. Part of the problem is Wade doesn't realize it isn't his team anymore.

Mutaman
06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Part of the problem is Wade doesn't realize it isn't his team anymore.

You can say that part of the problem was Miami's bench, or part of the problem was getting killed on the boards, or part of the problem was Chris Bosh shooting 4 for whatever . (Bench, boards, Bosh). You can say part of the problem was James driibling around in the 4th quarter and hoisting 40 footers. You can say part of the problem was not helping out on Nowitski in the 4th quarter.

But I'm curious what Wade did or did not do during that game that would support saying he was part of the problem.

improbus
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Anyone remember game 2 of the 1992 NBA Finals? In game 1, Jordan had the famous six three pointer game when he looked at the scorer's and shrugged his shoulders. He also had 35 in the 1st half. So in game 2, the Bulls had a 10 point lead with 4:36 to go. Then, some guy named Michael Jordan had a meltdown. He committed a dumb foul, got a technical foul, and missed the last shot. The game when into overtime and the Blazers won. Danny Ainge had 6 points in 1 minute. Does this sound familiar at all? Let's not get too caught up in these kinds of games.

improbus
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Wade is unbelievable. No one in basketball is able to move side to side the way he can. I

improbus
06-05-2011, 11:49 PM
LeBron didn't help my argument by attempting to disappear in the 4th. Thanks buddy...

Mutaman
06-05-2011, 11:59 PM
LeBron didn't help my argument by attempting to disappear in the 4th. Thanks buddy...

Well at least he held down Marion. But somethings wrong when Wade gets as many boards as James and Bosh combined. And don't they have anyone who can put some muscle on Dirk? Thank god for the great Udonis.

TeamSelig
06-06-2011, 01:12 AM
I think I can remember Lebron literally taking over a game last year (or was it the year b4 last?) where he scored every PT in OT or something like that... maybe it was the final 25 pts... it was an amazing feat

reds44
06-06-2011, 02:41 AM
I think I can remember Lebron literally taking over a game last year (or was it the year b4 last?) where he scored every PT in OT or something like that... maybe it was the final 25 pts... it was an amazing feat
That was like 4 years ago against the Pistons.

And if the Heat win the championship Wade will be the MVP. Typical LeBron.

Brutus
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm as jilted by LeBron as the next guy, but I think he's getting an unfair rap here.

LeBron's excellence is more defined by his overall court game than just his scoring. He's such a good player because of his passing, his rebounding, his defense, his ability to make plays, etc. Last night, while LeBron wasn't scoring, he was playing a pretty good game finding open teammates and getting Miami some good looks. And with the way D-Wade has picked up his scoring this year, becoming (arguably) the second-best scorer in the NBA behind Kobe, there hasn't been the need for LeBron to take over games the way he did in Cleveland.

Mutaman
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm as jilted by LeBron as the next guy, but I think he's getting an unfair rap here.

LeBron's excellence is more defined by his overall court game than just his scoring. He's such a good player because of his passing, his rebounding, his defense, his ability to make plays, etc. Last night, while LeBron wasn't scoring, he was playing a pretty good game finding open teammates and getting Miami some good looks. And with the way D-Wade has picked up his scoring this year, becoming (arguably) the second-best scorer in the NBA behind Kobe, there hasn't been the need for LeBron to take over games the way he did in Cleveland.

Getting 3 rebounds a game isn't going to cut it. Dallas has been killing Miami on the Boards. Wade had to go crazy on the boards last night because nobody else was. He needs some help in this area.

Homer Bailey
06-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Sorry, I was away for the weekend. Looks like others have helped clean up the mess, much appreciated.

Solid take from J.A. Adande here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=LeBron-110606&ex_cid=espn-twttr):

If winning an NBA Finals game won't be enough for LeBron, then winning the Finals won't be either if this series continue in this manner and Wade plays the starring role in two more victories. LeBron wants to win. That's not enough for us. We want him to go out and win it and in a specific manner. You can already hear the keyboards clicking now, saying LeBron's first championship didn't count because he wasn't the Finals MVP.

Did you know that in Kobe Bryant's first NBA Finals he shot 37 percent and averaged 15.6 points per game against the Pacers in 2000? But when it's time for comparisons, you only hear that Kobe has five rings, not 4.5.

When Michael Jordan repeatedly passed to John Paxson in the final quarter of the 1991 NBA Finals, it was viewed as a breakthrough, the superstar yielding to the system for the sake of the team. LeBron does it and its treated as an act of cowardice.

Mutaman
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I was away for the weekend. Looks like others have helped clean up the mess, much appreciated.

Solid take from J.A. Adande here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=LeBron-110606&ex_cid=espn-twttr):

No knowledgeable sports fan gives a whit about who the MVP is, that's talk for bar stools and talk radio. All Miami fans are asking for is for James to start hitting the boards and to stop playing like he's in over his head in the fourth quarter, whether its aimlessly dribbling around like he did in game two, or running away from the ball like he did last night.

This will have to happen because I guarantee you on Tuesday night, Dallas is not going to let Wade beat them in crunch time. They are going to double him and say to James "show us what you can do". I bet Wade is preparing James for this right now.

Brutus
06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Getting 3 rebounds a game isn't going to cut it. Dallas has been killing Miami on the Boards. Wade had to go crazy on the boards last night because nobody else was. He needs some help in this area.

Well, LeBron hasn't been getting offensive rebounds as much this series because he's been tasked with trying to eliminate the Mavericks' transition game, as they're sending sometimes as many as two players out as soon as a shot goes up. So LeBron has not been able to go after offensive rebounds for that reason.

Defensively, he didn't get many boards last night, but the Mavs got 12 offensive boards out of 40 attempts (30%) -- which is a bit high but not alarmingly so. It didn't get so bad that LeBron was costing his team dearly because he wasn't rebounding at a prodigious rate.

But you've also got to stop and consider why Wade was "going crazy on the boards." First, Wade was guarding Barea or Kidd, and both were doing a ton of penetration of the high screens and turning the corner. The Mavs were getting a lot of quick looks off their first passes. Wade was getting more rebound attempts not that he was trying any harder, but simply had been in better position several times.

I just think you're looking too much at the rebound number as a sign of performance without considering all the various factors that may have contributed.

Mutaman
06-06-2011, 08:35 PM
I just think you're looking too much at the rebound number as a sign of performance without considering all the various factors that may have contributed.

Wade, a little guard, had as many rebounds as the two giants combined. I think we can safely look at that as "a sign of performance".

Brutus
06-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Wade, a little guard, had as many rebounds as the two giants combined. I think we can safely look at that as "a sign of performance".

No, I don't think we can. It's an oversimplification and is far from a scientific measurement. There are too many dynamic factors that play a part into getting a rebound, especially in a sample of one single game.

Mutaman
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
No, I don't think we can. It's an oversimplification and is far from a scientific measurement. There are too many dynamic factors that play a part into getting a rebound, especially in a sample of one single game.

I always thought Russell and Chamberlain had the advantage of "dynamic factors". I thought Dallas was killing Miami on the boards because James and Bosh wern't doing their job, I didn't realize it was the result of "dynamic factors". Also, Wade had 10 rebounds in game one so its two single games (out of 3) where he's done this. How many games does a guard have get rebounds in double figures before we can say its a sign of performance. How about the 29 points, is that a sign of performance?

Brutus
06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I always thought Russell and Chamberlain had the advantage of "dynamic factors". I thought Dallas was killing Miami on the boards because James and Bosh wern't doing their job, I didn't realize it was the result of "dynamic factors". Also, Wade had 10 rebounds in game one so its two single games (out of 3) where he's done this. How many games does a guard have get rebounds in double figures before we can say its a sign of performance. How about the 29 points, is that a sign of performance?

I don't feel like going into a big technical discussion about the game of basketball, but have you considered that not every team has every player crash the boards on every single missed shot? Believe it or not, as a team strategy, sometimes players hang in the perimeter, or even get back to try and create a fastbreak. Sometimes it's as simple as how the defensive assignments work for a given game.

With centers and frontcourt players, rebounds are more static. But a player of James' versatility, he's not always going to be asked to crash the boards in every game.

improbus
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't feel like going into a big technical discussion about the game of basketball, but have you considered that not every team has every player crash the boards on every single missed shot? Believe it or not, as a team strategy, sometimes players hang in the perimeter, or even get back to try and create a fastbreak. Sometimes it's as simple as how the defensive assignments work for a given game.

With centers and frontcourt players, rebounds are more static. But a player of James' versatility, he's not always going to be asked to crash the boards in every game.

Agreed, also, part of the beauty of the Heat is that they have elite rebounders at every position. James, Wade, Miller, and Bosh are perennially amongst the best rebounders at their position. Also, keep in mind that LeBron has been guarding Jason Terry most of the series and Terry likes to hang out on the perimeter.

Scrap Irony
06-06-2011, 11:55 PM
James is dropping back on offense, trying to limit the Mav fast break. He's also playing the role of distributor more often. (And lack of shot attempts.)

Defensively, James is guarding Terry, who shoots from long distance, meaning he's out of position (for the most part) in order to rebound on that end of the court.

In short, the guy is playing the role of lead guard, while Wade is playing the slasher role against players ill-suited for the role of stopping him.

He's still pulling down 6.7 rebounds per game-- not great. Not bad either.

He's going 20/6/6, shooting 51% from the floor, 43.8% from three, not to mention playing solid defense on Terry, who's shooting poorly.

His playoff WAR is leading the league, fwiw.

Brutus
06-07-2011, 12:16 AM
James is dropping back on offense, trying to limit the Mav fast break. He's also playing the role of distributor more often. (And lack of shot attempts.)

Defensively, James is guarding Terry, who shoots from long distance, meaning he's out of position (for the most part) in order to rebound on that end of the court.

In short, the guy is playing the role of lead guard, while Wade is playing the slasher role against players ill-suited for the role of stopping him.

He's still pulling down 6.7 rebounds per game-- not great. Not bad either.

He's going 20/6/6, shooting 51% from the floor, 43.8% from three, not to mention playing solid defense on Terry, who's shooting poorly.

His playoff WAR is leading the league, fwiw.

Eh. You basically summed most of what I was trying to say and did it much more to the point. I wish I'd just given you the floor earlier, to be honest lol

Homer Bailey
06-07-2011, 01:34 AM
A player's rebounding ability is not defined by the number of rebounds, but the number of rebounds he prevents the other team from getting. If you can show me LBJ getting schooled on the glass by either lack of effort or positioning, you can criticize that. A player could have ten rebounds, but give up 5 by laziness, or he could have games where he has 3 rebounds and gives up zero.

Mutaman
06-07-2011, 02:56 AM
A player's rebounding ability is not defined by the number of rebounds, but the number of rebounds he prevents the other team from getting. If you can show me LBJ getting schooled on the glass by either lack of effort or positioning, you can criticize that. A player could have ten rebounds, but give up 5 by laziness, or he could have games where he has 3 rebounds and gives up zero.

Or a player coud have 3 rebounds and gave up 11. Considering Dallas has killed Miami on the boards the last two games, somebody's been giving up a lot of rebounds.

improbus
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Dallas really needs to win tonight. Time for Berea and Terry to step up or this series will not return to Miami.

reds44
06-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Wade is trying to carry LeBron to a ring.

Captain Hook
06-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Dallas really needs to win tonight. Time for Berea and Terry to step up or this series will not return to Miami.

The series is basically over if they don't.

The 1st three quarters of every game in this series has meant very little in deciding anything.Looking forward to seeing who steps up in the fourth tonight.

CTA513
06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Is ESPNs gamecast not working right for anyone else?

CTA513
06-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Heat are getting very sloppy in the 4th

reds44
06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
LeBron is getting beaten by Jason Terry right now on defense too. There goes that excuse.

CTA513
06-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Wade with a chance to tie the game and misses another free throw.

Reds
06-08-2011, 12:41 AM
VanGundy is the worst announcer, he infuriates me with his comments on a game to game basis.

Reds
06-08-2011, 12:41 AM
hopefully dallas can hold on, i'd love to see a long series where the mavs prevail

Playadlc
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Only 10 shots for Lebron tonight.

Seriously, why?

CTA513
06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Wade screws up any chance of the Heat getting a good shot and Miller is forced to throw up a shot to end the game.

reds44
06-08-2011, 12:51 AM
LeBron had 8 points lol

Playadlc
06-08-2011, 12:56 AM
LeBron had 8 points lol

He didn't try to make a single play in the last 5 minutes, passing it off to anyone who could possibly catch the ball.

Homer Bailey
06-08-2011, 01:40 AM
LeBron: "I was in the pool!"

http://redriverpak.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/george_costanza020.jpg

Mutaman
06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Heat in 5.

Or maybe not.

LvJ
06-08-2011, 08:38 AM
LeBron is such a piece of crap.

http://i54.tinypic.com/219xycx.jpg

Chip R
06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Only 10 shots for Lebron tonight.

Seriously, why?

One of his teammates is "dating" his mom?

HotCorner
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Meanwhile Dirk steps up again in the 4th - even when he's not 100% - to lead his team to the win.

HotCorner
06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/219xycx.jpg

The flopping in this series by Miami has been brutal. Yet the refs continue to fall for their act. The NBA should seriously consider making flopping a technical foul next season to deter this trend. It's basketball - not soccer or acting. :D

texasdave
06-08-2011, 11:42 AM
The flopping in this series by Miami has been brutal. Yet the refs continue to fall for their act. The NBA should seriously consider making flopping a technical foul next season to deter this trend. It's basketball - not soccer or acting. :D

As Barkley would put it, 'that's turrible'. You're the best player in the game and you have to flop? Just turrible.

WVRed
06-08-2011, 12:13 PM

That would be a wonderful idea for college as well. Coach K would have to retire.

Razor Shines
06-08-2011, 06:08 PM
That would be a wonderful idea for college as well. Coach K would have to retire.

::Fart Noise::

I wonder how much time Coach K spent with the Heat teaching them how to flop?

texasdave
06-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I haven't really paid close attention to these Finals, but the guy on the radio stated that Lebron has a combined 9 fourth-quarter points through the first four games. How is that even possible from the best player in the league?

Mutaman
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I haven't really paid close attention to these Finals, but the guy on the radio stated that Lebron has a combined 9 fourth-quarter points through the first four games. How is that even possible from the best player in the league?

See Alex Rodriguez, post season: 2004,2005,2006 and 2007.

WMR
06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Okay. Prediction time. :D

Who is going to win tonight and what sort of line will LBJ put up?

I think the Heat will win but I'm still deciding on what LBJ is going to do... :lol: Will he step up and play like he did versus Chicago or become even more passive? I think he gets at least 20 points tonight and at least 7 assists with > 6 boards.

What I don't get is all the jump shots they are taking (all 3). Where they excel is attacking the rim, I hate to see them settle for perimeter Js versus a Dallas D that can be scored against by LBJ/Wade/Bosh off the dribble.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd say the Heat should win. They've looked like the better team all along. The games the Mavs won have been extremely ugly wins. The Heat looks much more athletic and just better basketball players.

Having said that, I think the Mavs almost have to win this game. They are much more mentally strong. The Heat (and Lebron) look like they get shook and lose confidence. When things are right, they just roll along and look dominant. But when thing gets bad (and the Mavs will do that to you), they get a bit of the deer in the headlights look.

If the Mavs can keep it close till the 4th quarter, they seem to be able to bring the defensive hammer down and get the Dallas crowd riled up. If that happens, I can see the Mavs winning another close (and ugly) game. If the Mavs lose this game, going to Miami for the last 2 games and winning them will be very difficult.

KoryMac5
06-09-2011, 07:20 PM
The Heat should win tonight but most folks have been predicting Heat victories the last 4 games. I expect The Bron to come out and try to pound Dallas into submission early as he will be fired up about his play and the rumors that are now again dogging him in the playoffs. Dallas could pull it out if there shooters get hot which they haven't been so far in this series. Remember Jason Terry can get pretty streaky, ask the Lakers about that.

So far great series! Just what the NBA needed.

HotCorner
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
The Mavs have yet to play a good game in this series yet are tied. I say tonight is the night for their shooters to click. Mavs win!

WMR
06-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Okay, has anyone heard the latest "rumors" concerning LeBron?

Revering4Blue
06-09-2011, 11:02 PM

Yup.

Talk about taking your (non-basketball) talents to South Beach.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/06/those_dirty_lebron_james_and_r.php

CTA513
06-10-2011, 12:40 AM
This one looks to be over

Chip R
06-10-2011, 12:44 AM

Why is it that things like this - if true - always happen to LeBron during the most important series of the season?

Mutaman
06-10-2011, 01:51 AM
That was the quietest triple double in the history of basketball.

reds44
06-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Oh dearest Homer Bailey, where art thou?

LvJ
06-10-2011, 02:52 AM
Lovin' it.

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MARIONBEAT.gif.pagespeed.ce.OV2bxjYXuv.gif

Homer Bailey
06-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh dearest Homer Bailey, where art thou?

I'm right here. I believe I predicted that the Mavs would win the series. LeBron is playing like absolute crap. What do you want me to say? I don't just blindly defend him, I state my opinions. I still think he's the best player in the world, but he sure isn't playing like it right now. I'm befuttled.

NJReds
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Being that I live in the east and don't watch a lot of western conference basketball, I've gained a lot more appeciation for Dirk Nowitzki based on his play this series. I knew he was a terrific scorer, but he's really an outstanding passer and team leader. Just outstanding. And Rick Carlisle is a heck of a coach, too.

That said, I still expect the Heat to win in 7 unless Wade actually misses time with his hip injury. But he looked fine last night in the fourth quarter so I doubt that will be an issue. I really would like to see Dallas celebrate in South Beach, though.

RBA
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Why were people down on the Mavs? They easily rolled over the defending champs to make it this far. Maybe it's the East Coast bias again?

KoryMac5
06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
I am a Mavs fan since the Aguirre, Ro B, Perkins days and never in a million years did I think the Mavs would be up 3-2 with 2 games in Miami left to play. Please whatever you do nobody pinch these Mavs players and wake them up. Let us Dallas fans enjoy this dream.

It has been a great playoffs so far from a fan persepctive and game 4 in Dallas has to go down as one of the most enjoyable games we have seen in the playoffs.

dabvu2498
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Why were people down on the Mavs? They easily rolled over the defending champs to make it this far. Maybe it's the East Coast bias again?

You love playing that East Coast bias card, don't you?

But no. In the case it was portrayed that the Heat dismantled the Bulls while the Lakers wilted against the Mavs.

Given how good the Heat looked against the Bulls, I'd say the predictions were justified. But I don't think the Mavs got enough credit for the outcome of the WCF.

NJReds
06-10-2011, 01:11 PM

I'm not down on them. It's been a terrific series and they're playing great. But I think it will be tough to win in Miami again, and I think you'll see a Wade/LeBron parade to the free throw line in Game 6.

RBA
06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
You love playing that East Coast bias card, don't you?

But no. In the case it was portrayed that the Heat dismantled the Bulls while the Lakers wilted against the Mavs.

Given how good the Heat looked against the Bulls, I'd say the predictions were justified. But I don't think the Mavs got enough credit for the outcome of the WCF.

Keyword "portrayed". The Western Conference is not a cake walk. Looks like the Heat are the ones wilting.

dabvu2498
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Keyword "portrayed". The Western Conference is not a cake walk. Looks like the Heat are the ones wilting.

Or, one could say that the Heat had to exert themselves more to get past the Bulls while the Mavs cruised past the hapless Lakers.

Damn! I could work for ESPN!!!

Puffy
06-10-2011, 01:36 PM
So, when does the NBA assign Joey Crawford to Game 6?

Lol

dabvu2498
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Lol

Good call.

By hook or by crook this thing is going 7 games.

This series has generated as much pub for the NBA as I can remember. Even more than the recent Celtics-Lakers matchups.

Roy Tucker
06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Good call.

By hook or by crook this thing is going 7 games.

This series has generated as much pub for the NBA as I can remember. Even more than the recent Celtics-Lakers matchups.

Yep. Time for Wade to get 25 FTAs. I swear, sometimes when Wade drives, its like a 32 Blast to the fullback. All they need is a pulling guard.

I don't think its the Mavs were underestimated, its more the ESPN-fueled James-Wade-Bosh circus turned a gigwatt spotlight on this series.

I've enjoyed it more than I expected to. Terry pulled the Mavs' butt out of the fire last night.

HotCorner
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Or, one could say that the Heat had to exert themselves more to get past the Bulls while the Mavs cruised past the hapless Lakers.

Damn! I could work for ESPN!!!

However the Mavs played the media darling Thunder in the Western Conf. Finals. ;)

HotCorner
06-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I am a Mavs fan since the Aguirre, Ro B, Perkins days and never in a million years did I think the Mavs would be up 3-2 with 2 games in Miami left to play. Please whatever you do nobody pinch these Mavs players and wake them up. Let us Dallas fans enjoy this dream.

It has been a great playoffs so far from a fan persepctive and game 4 in Dallas has to go down as one of the most enjoyable games we have seen in the playoffs.

Same for me. I even had a green Rolando Blackman jersey back then. The 90's were brutal but along came Mark Cuban who changed of the culture of the franchise for the better.

Puffy
06-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Same for me. I even had a green Rolando Blackman jersey back then. The 90's were brutal but along came Mark Cuban who changed of the culture of the franchise for the better.

Yeah, Cuban has been a godsend for the Mavs.

If Dolan hires back Thomas in any capacity I will be searching for a new team. The Hornets, Mavs and Thunder are my second group so I'd have to choose one of them.

Slyder
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Its the "Super Team" Bias. This was suppose to be some "greatest of all time" collection of core players. I will admit I thought they were done after getting absolutely steam rolled by Chicago in Game 1. But Dallas is playing smart they aren't letting Miami run and oh ya that German dude (whats his name? j/k) is pretty good himself.

I wish I could pinpoint whats the problem with Miami but it might just be maturity from LeBron.

NJReds
06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Classy guys ... LeBron and Wade.

Maybe Dirk should come into Miami's arena with a walker and an ice pack on his hip.

LeBron, Wade feign illness before game (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6648286)

DALLAS -- Dirk Nowitzki's sinus infection and the ensuing storyline apparently was a source of amusement for Miami Heat superstars Dwyane Wade and LeBron James before Game 5.

As they walked out of American Airlines Center after Thursday morning's shootaround, Wade and James pretended to cough and wheeze, smirking as they repeatedly covered their mouths with their shirts while being filmed by Miami CBS affiliate WFOR.

"Whoa, did y'all hear me cough? I think I'm sick," Wade said before turning toward James and chuckling.

reds44
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm right here. I believe I predicted that the Mavs would win the series. LeBron is playing like absolute crap. What do you want me to say? I don't just blindly defend him, I state my opinions. I still think he's the best player in the world, but he sure isn't playing like it right now. I'm befuttled.

The only negative about LeBron has been he's lack of winning. He's the best player, but only because Kobe got old. All the bad things I have said about him are coming true this series.

reds44
06-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Lol

To be fair to Joey, he did the game last night.

reds44
06-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Classy guys ... LeBron and Wade.

Maybe Dirk should come into Miami's arena with a walker and an ice pack on his hip.

Funny coming from Wade who was taken off the floor on a WHEELCHAIR for a SHOULDER injury.

Kingspoint
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Nothing's more enjoyable than seeing the Miami Heat losing.

LvJ
06-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Nothing's more enjoyable than seeing the Miami Heat losing.
Quoted for truth.

LvJ
06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
http://youtu.be/7UGYNrV1yYo

Kingspoint
06-11-2011, 07:36 PM
From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

The Pacers are expected to remove the interim tag from coach Frank Vogel next week, sources tell SI's Chris Mannix.

Vogel's salary and staff are being hammered out before an official announcement is made. Vogel's hiring is good news for Darren Collison and Roy Hibbert, who both saw bumps in confidence and production under Jim O'Brien's successor. Vogel went 20-18 as the Pacers' interim coach last season and then lost a five-game series to the Bulls in the playoffs.

Source: Chris Mannix on Twitter

Revering4Blue
06-11-2011, 11:20 PM
From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

The Pacers are expected to remove the interim tag from coach Frank Vogel next week, sources tell SI's Chris Mannix.

Vogel's salary and staff are being hammered out before an official announcement is made. Vogel's hiring is good news for Darren Collison and Roy Hibbert, who both saw bumps in confidence and production under Jim O'Brien's successor. Vogel went 20-18 as the Pacers' interim coach last season and then lost a five-game series to the Bulls in the playoffs.

Source: Chris Mannix on Twitter

I'm fine with it. From what I gather, Vogel will have to revamp his staff. Terry Porter has been mentioned as a possible assistant coach.

One thing that concerns me:

Most mocks have the Pacers selecting Jimmer Fredette at 15. I'm not flat-out projecting Fredette to be a bust--he may turn out to be another Mike Bibby--but the Pacers need a real 2 guard and a shot blocking C/PF off the bench. Fredette doesn't fill either need. I'm not entirely sold on Brandon Rush and Paul George may be better served as a SF.

Most Pacer fans will most likely flame me for this, but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't consider dealing Granger to G.S in a deal involving Monta Ellis. I tend to agree with Kingspoint that Granger is a better Robin than a Batman, and that George is more than capable of assuming Granger's role.

improbus
06-12-2011, 12:47 PM
As a LeBron defender, I feel pressure tonight. C'mon LeBron, please don't continue to make me look like an idiot.:(

NJReds
06-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Hmm ... based on the NBA rules, game 7 will be 8 on 8 ... everyone else should be suspended for leaving the bench during that pushing and shoving.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Heat apparently don't have a problem with letting opposing players have uncontested shots.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Dirk is 1 for 12 and the Heat are still losing.

KoryMac5
06-12-2011, 10:24 PM
1-12, never have I seen Dirk shoot so poorly in 13 yrs. I am hoping for something a little better in the 2nd half as Terry and Stevenson have given the Mavs a chance here.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Dirk is now 3 for 17 and the Heat are still finding a way to be down.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Heat are being about the opposite of Dirk at the free throw line.

NJReds
06-12-2011, 11:21 PM
JJ Barea is an impressive player.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Heat are playing pretty lazy

RBA
06-12-2011, 11:29 PM
You know the Miami coach is going to get the axe. (if the Heat lose).

NJReds
06-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Heat are playing pretty lazy

Refs are going whistle happy now. This game has no flow.

NJReds
06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Way too much passing by the Heat before that turnover. Nobody wants to shoot.

NJReds
06-12-2011, 11:35 PM
If the Heat win, it's going to be on Wade's back.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Way too much passing by the Heat before that turnover. Nobody wants to shoot.

Yep and they aren't even getting closer to the rim with these passes.
Its just passing it around until someone has to take a shot.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 11:38 PM
If the Heat win, it's going to be on Wade's back.

They aren't winning this unless the Mavs hand the ball over to the Heat every possession.

NJReds
06-12-2011, 11:40 PM
They aren't winning this unless the Mavs hand the ball over to the Heat every possession.

Well ... they've done it the last two possessions. But it's probably too late.

savafan
06-12-2011, 11:41 PM
CTA513
Heat just gave up with about 50 seconds left.

NJReds
Happy for Dirk and Cuban. I'm sure Stern will love giving him the trophy.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Bosh 7 of 9
I'm betting hes wondering why he didn't get the ball more instead of having the other guys chuck up bad shots.

RBA
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
ABC/ESPN can call it an upset, but the better team won.

Slyder
06-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Bosh 7 of 9
I'm betting hes wondering why he didn't get the ball more instead of having the other guys chuck up bad shots.

I wonder if he regrets agreeing to be the third wheel in this. When he could have gone elsewhere.

LvJ
06-12-2011, 11:47 PM
ABC/ESPN can call it an upset, but the better team won.

Agreed.

Slyder
06-12-2011, 11:50 PM
What an amazing job by the James gang this series :thumbup:

KoryMac5
06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
As a lifelong Mavs fan I am happy as can be right now! Nice to see a collection of ballplayers win as a team! Great job by Coach Carlisle this series.

CTA513
06-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I wonder if he regrets agreeing to be the third wheel in this. When he could have gone elsewhere.

I don't know, but I'm guessing he can't be happy with how they used him at times this season including tonights game.

HotCorner
06-13-2011, 12:18 AM
As a lifelong Mavs fan I am happy as can be right now! Nice to see a collection of ballplayers win as a team! Great job by Coach Carlisle this series.

Ditto.

reds44
06-13-2011, 12:36 AM
LeBron was -24 tonight. lol

kaldaniels
06-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Posted it in the Reds game thread too...

YouTube - ‪LeBron James On Winning Championships With Miami *Welcome Party*‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-slCPeh3o)

kaldaniels
06-13-2011, 12:58 AM
LeBron just pooped on everyone who rooted against him. Paraphrasing, "At the end of the day, they are gonna still have their personal problems that they always have"

texasdave
06-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Heat just gave up with about 50 seconds left.

I guess it is Lebron's team after all. :lol:

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Miami = Loser

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 04:42 AM
I guess it is Lebron's team after all. :lol:

There's a whole lot of truth to that.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Agreed.

No kidding. It would have been a major upset if Miami had won. Miami lost two of three on their home court and two of three away.

Roy Tucker
06-13-2011, 08:54 AM
The trouble with the Heat is that after the Big 3, they are the LA Clippers or Washington Wizards.

I enjoyed Mike Breen, Jeff Van Gundy, and Mark Jackson as announcers. Magic Johnson is a really lousy analyst.

improbus
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
There are a number of ironies, especially in the LeBron department.
1) He had the Heat playing the most flowing, movement based offense that they had played all year. LeBron was consistently getting Haslem layups, Chalmers open 3's, and even Juwan Howard open jumpers at the top of the key.
2) Yet everyone wanted him to go classic LeBron/Kobe/Wade and go 1 on 5 isolation basketball that nearly everyone hates. If you noticed, every time LeBron went to the rim, all 5 Mavs pinned down on him and fouled him (without actually getting the call).
3) It wasn't the Heat's offense that let them down. Their defense couldn't get a stop when they needed it.
4) Wade choked just as much as LeBron, if not more. He was had some inexcusable 3's and unforced turnovers in the 4th quarter of almost every game. But because he's won, he gets the benefit of the doubt.
5) The worst thing LeBron did this season netted $2 million for a charity. I wish every "selfish" athlete would be so generous.
6) This may sound strange, but Miami was probably the least "selfish" place LeBron could have gone. It was the only situation where he wasn't going to be "the man" (even in Chicago he would have been the man, because Rose wasn't Rose before this year). I'm not sure how he can be called a 'narcissist' for this.
7) "The Decision" was a callous piece of TV, but keep in mind that people had been talking about the summer of 2010 for 3 years. It had been built up to be the biggest free agent movement in the history of sports, so why would it be unexpected for LeBron to handle it any differently. In a way, anything less than the Decision would have been a disappointment. It sort of reminds me of the movie "Traffic". The kid who deals drugs explains why he does iy by saying (and I'm paraphrasing), "Well, rich kids kept coming down here looking for drugs, so we started selling what they wanted. What else can you expect?" In a way, how can anyone complain about the Decision when ESPN had roundtable panels with a ridiculous wheel of fortune like gimmick to discuss his future.

WVRed
06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
The trouble with the Heat is that after the Big 3, they are the LA Clippers or Washington Wizards.

I enjoyed Mike Breen, Jeff Van Gundy, and Mark Jackson as announcers. Magic Johnson is a really lousy analyst.

I read somewhere that the Heat could possibly explore trading Chris Bosh in the offseason for some role players. It would make sense to part with him to get some depth, even if it is lesser players.

Although by the same token, the Big Three in Boston was the same way. When KG, Pierce, and Allen were there, they didn't have the depth. What helped them the most was Rondo coming into his own. I thought Mario Chalmers could have the same effect but it didn't happen.

Slyder
06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I read somewhere that the Heat could possibly explore trading Chris Bosh in the offseason for some role players. It would make sense to part with him to get some depth, even if it is lesser players.

Although by the same token, the Big Three in Boston was the same way. When KG, Pierce, and Allen were there, they didn't have the depth. What helped them the most was Rondo coming into his own. I thought Mario Chalmers could have the same effect but it didn't happen.

So they are going to try and get even smaller... Honestly Chalmers should be the one they try and trade IMO.

TeamSelig
06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
They will be able to add to their depth with the vet min and the MLE

IslandRed
06-13-2011, 01:51 PM
The Heat's problems with working Bosh into the offense were well-documented in the regular season, but someone on ESPN -- I forget who -- made a good point about James and Wade, in that neither of them (particularly James) is good without the ball. Which makes sense, since both of them have spent their careers as the primary scorer/ball-handler, but the Heat haven't developed much if any of that whole-greater-than-the-parts synergy. Honestly, there were stretches during the Finals where they looked as if they'd never drawn up an offense.

NJReds
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
They will be able to add to their depth with the vet min and the MLE

Depending on how the labor issues are resloved, there might not be a MLE. And if the NBA goes to a hard salary cap, the Heat and many other teams will have to reduce salary.

TeamSelig
06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
That is true. But we'll see.

Razor Shines
06-13-2011, 02:17 PM
There are a number of ironies, especially in the LeBron department.
1) He had the Heat playing the most flowing, movement based offense that they had played all year. LeBron was consistently getting Haslem layups, Chalmers open 3's, and even Juwan Howard open jumpers at the top of the key.
2) Yet everyone wanted him to go classic LeBron/Kobe/Wade and go 1 on 5 isolation basketball that nearly everyone hates. If you noticed, every time LeBron went to the rim, all 5 Mavs pinned down on him and fouled him (without actually getting the call).
3) It wasn't the Heat's offense that let them down. Their defense couldn't get a stop when they needed it.
4) Wade choked just as much as LeBron, if not more. He was had some inexcusable 3's and unforced turnovers in the 4th quarter of almost every game. But because he's won, he gets the benefit of the doubt.
5) The worst thing LeBron did this season netted $2 million for a charity. I wish every "selfish" athlete would be so generous.
6) This may sound strange, but Miami was probably the least "selfish" place LeBron could have gone. It was the only situation where he wasn't going to be "the man" (even in Chicago he would have been the man, because Rose wasn't Rose before this year). I'm not sure how he can be called a 'narcissist' for this.
7) "The Decision" was a callous piece of TV, but keep in mind that people had been talking about the summer of 2010 for 3 years. It had been built up to be the biggest free agent movement in the history of sports, so why would it be unexpected for LeBron to handle it any differently. In a way, anything less than the Decision would have been a disappointment. It sort of reminds me of the movie "Traffic". The kid who deals drugs explains why he does iy by saying (and I'm paraphrasing), "Well, rich kids kept coming down here looking for drugs, so we started selling what they wanted. What else can you expect?" In a way, how can anyone complain about the Decision when ESPN had roundtable panels with a ridiculous wheel of fortune like gimmick to discuss his future.

Agree with a lot of this.

Mutaman
06-13-2011, 02:18 PM

I didn't notice Lebron going to the rim very often. The legitimate knock on him is that he was running away from shots, particularly in the fourth quarter of the last three games. He became Jason Kidd when the Heat needed someone who could score. I think he became literally afraid to shoot the ball down the stretch.

Not to mention, who was guarding Terry last night?

Brutus
06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I didn't notice Lebron going to the rim very often. The legitimate knock on him is that he was running away from shots, particularly in the fourth quarter of the last three games. He became Jason Kidd when the Heat needed someone who could score. I think he became literally afraid to shoot the ball down the stretch.

He wasn't getting all the way to the rim, but he most definitely was penetrating a bunch. He'd get to the middle of the floor and when Dallas had a secondary defender help up to close off the penetration, he was making interior passes to get easy layups or short jumpers for a teammate. Improbus was definitely right about that... he had a great series getting to the elbow extended and spotting a teammate inside.

improbus
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM

There were some times he could have done that., One thing I noticed about LeBron is that he really only ever goes to the rim when he starts out beyond the 3 point arc. He never cuts to the basket, catches a pass, and finishes near the rim. That is a huge hole.

Also, the another criticism I have of LeBron is that he is very predicatable. Wade's strength is his quick and unpredictable Euro Step. LeBron's body language tells you exactly what he is going to do, be it a 26 footer, a drive, or a pass, and if I know it, the defense knows it too.

Mutaman
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
He played like Albert Pujols coming up in the ninth inning of game 7 with the tying run on first, and bunting! He was running away from the ball!

reds44
06-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Wade carried LeBron on his back for almost the entire series. The excuses for LeBron are laughable. He didn't even want the ball last night.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30005543

John Kasich, Governor of Ohio, declared the Dallas Mavericks "Honorary Ohioans" after their 2011 NBA title.

Unassisted
06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Early Vegas line on the 2012 NBA title:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/13/spurs-are-early-20-to-1-choice-to-win-2012-nba-title/

Miami Heat 5/2

Los Angeles Lakers 11/2

Chicago Bulls 6/1

Oklahoma City Thunder 8/1

Dallas Mavericks 10/1

Boston Celtics 12/1

San Antonio Spurs 20/1

Orlando Magic 22/1

New York Knicks 28/1

Portland Trailblazers 30/1

Atlanta Hawks 40/1

Denver Nuggets 40/1

Memphis Grizzlies 40/1

New Orleans Hornets 45/1

Houston Rockets 50/1

Utah Jazz 60/1

New Jersey Nets 65/1

Philadelphia 76ers 65/1

Phoenix Suns 65/1

Charlotte Bobcats 75/1

Indiana Pacers 75/1

Los Angeles Clippers 75/1

Cleveland Cavaliers 100/1

Detroit Pistons 100/1

Golden State Warriors 100/1

Milwaukee Bucks 100/1

Minnesota Timberwolves 100/1

Sacramento Kings 100/1

Washington Wizards 100/1

Toronto Raptors 150/1

CTA513
06-13-2011, 04:37 PM

John Kasich, Governor of Ohio, declared the Dallas Mavericks "Honorary Ohioans" after their 2011 NBA title.

Congrats Mavs, we can't win crap here so we want you to be one of us.

Brutus
06-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Wade carried LeBron on his back for almost the entire series. The excuses for LeBron are laughable. He didn't even want the ball last night.

LeBron shot 48% from the field for the series, averaged 7.2 rebounds (which was just about his season average 7.5), 6.8 assists (7.0 season average), 1.7 steals (1.6 season average) and turned it over just a hair about his season average (4.0 per game).

Not a bad series at all. In fact, the PER difference between Wade and LeBron for the playoffs was just 26 to 24.

That said, LeBron's PER for the last two years in the playoffs were 28 and 37. So clearly he wasn't as dominant as he had been in the past, but much of that, in terms of rate stats, simply had to do with not taking as many shots. So it would be expected he didn't have as high a PER.

Chip R
06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Oops

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/06/13/11/Miami-paper-runs-ad-seling-Heat-champion/landing_heat.html?blockID=532262&feedID=3565

CTA513
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
LeBron just pooped on everyone who rooted against him. Paraphrasing, "At the end of the day, they are gonna still have their personal problems that they always have"

Heres the quote:

"All the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. So they can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they got to get back to the real world at some point."

:cool:

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 05:57 PM
That Atlanta Hawks money looks really good at 40 to 1.

5TimeWSChamps
06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
100 to 1 for the Wolves next year? We aren't the worst!

Slyder
06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
With the labor dispute coming in the NBA. IF a hard cap is accepted and you MUST trade one of the big 3 in order to get under which one do you trade? LeBron, Wade, or Bosh.

KoryMac5
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
LeBron shot 48% from the field for the series, averaged 7.2 rebounds (which was just about his season average 7.5), 6.8 assists (7.0 season average), 1.7 steals (1.6 season average) and turned it over just a hair about his season average (4.0 per game).

Not a bad series at all. In fact, the PER difference between Wade and LeBron for the playoffs was just 26 to 24.

That said, LeBron's PER for the last two years in the playoffs were 28 and 37. So clearly he wasn't as dominant as he had been in the past, but much of that, in terms of rate stats, simply had to do with not taking as many shots. So it would be expected he didn't have as high a PER.

Hmmm good numbers until you look at the 4th quarter. Truth be told, Lebron pulled a Houdini in the 4th quarter of a championship series. HE let his anxiety get the best of him and he wilted under the pressure. IF you look at him in the Chicago series he was a dominant force. However after looking at the Dallas series Lebron definitely checked out. Pat Riley has his hands full dealing with a player who is not mentally tough in the biggest of spots. I look for the Heat to make a move in the offseason, perhaps a sign and trade with Orlando for Dwight Howard.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 07:52 PM
From Rotoworld via The Big Lead w/ Rotoworld comments:

After the Dallas Mavericks captured the 2011 NBA championship on Sunday night, DeShawn Stevenson put on a T-Shirt that read, "Hey LeBron! How's My Dirk Taste?"

Stevenson has been adding serious intrigue to the Miami vs. Dallas story line throughout the postseason, but this one may be the best yet. Follow the link to see a picture of Stevenson rocking the t-shirt proudly, and it's probably only a matter of time until he and Soulja Boy team up in the offseason.

CTA513
06-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I can only imagine the outrage if James or Wade did that.

Mutaman
06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Not a bad series at all..

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
Mark Twain

Slyder
06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
From Rotoworld via The Big Lead w/ Rotoworld comments:

After the Dallas Mavericks captured the 2011 NBA championship on Sunday night, DeShawn Stevenson put on a T-Shirt that read, "Hey LeBron! How's My Dirk Taste?"

Stevenson has been adding serious intrigue to the Miami vs. Dallas story line throughout the postseason, but this one may be the best yet. Follow the link to see a picture of Stevenson rocking the t-shirt proudly, and it's probably only a matter of time until he and Soulja Boy team up in the offseason.

OMG you owe me a new computer moniter. IM sorry I just busted a gut laughing.

Slyder
06-13-2011, 08:27 PM
I can only imagine the outrage if James or Wade did that.

Difference being Dallas did win. If LeBron or Wade did something like that AFTER they won fine. LeBron and Wade did their talking before and couldn't back it up.

NJReds
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Hmmm good numbers until you look at the 4th quarter. Truth be told, Lebron pulled a Houdini in the 4th quarter of a championship series. HE let his anxiety get the best of him and he wilted under the pressure. IF you look at him in the Chicago series he was a dominant force. However after looking at the Dallas series Lebron definitely checked out. Pat Riley has his hands full dealing with a player who is not mentally tough in the biggest of spots. I look for the Heat to make a move in the offseason, perhaps a sign and trade with Orlando for Dwight Howard.

They'd have to trade Wade, LeBron or Bosh to get Howard. Nobody will trade for Bosh and be forced to pay him the max. He's a jump shooting power forward that doesn't play much defense. Very good player ... not a max contract player, though. The Heat won't trade Wade or LeBron.

They'll have to add a big man that can score more than 0 points (Anthony can come off the bench). They need a point guard, too.

Revering4Blue
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Which he (LeBron) may well regret.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43377649

LeBron's marketability declining?

reds44
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
They'd have to trade Wade, LeBron or Bosh to get Howard. Nobody will trade for Bosh and be forced to pay him the max. He's a jump shooting power forward that doesn't play much defense. Very good player ... not a max contract player, though. The Heat won't trade Wade or LeBron.

They'll have to add a big man that can score more than 0 points (Anthony can come off the bench). They need a point guard, too.

You're kidding right? Next to Dirk, dude is the best PF in basketball.

TeamSelig
06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
I think people are forgetting Bosh put up 24-10 with good efficiency as a #1. He's prob not best suited as a 3rd option... he took alot of slack this year and put up 18-8... those are still good numbers.

NJReds
06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
I think people are forgetting Bosh put up 24-10 with good efficiency as a #1. He's prob not best suited as a 3rd option... he took alot of slack this year and put up 18-8... those are still good numbers.

Good numbers, but I don't think he's a max player. And I don't think that there are a lot of NBA teams that would trade for him with that contract, especially since a hard cap may be in effect next year. I don't think the Heat have any intention of breaking up the 'big 3' anyway.

Puffy
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
You're kidding right? Next to Dirk, dude is the best PF in basketball.

Ummmm, you think Bosh is better than Amare? Okay........

How bout Blake Griffin? Pau Gasol? Zack Randolph? Kevin Love?

Cause I'd take every one of them over Bosh (except maybe Love). And thats not including the old guys (Duncan and Garnett, but thats only because they old). Bosh is no where near the second best power forward right now. More like 5 or 6th best. And he is getting paid close to max dollars and thats the issue.

texasdave
06-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Cause I'd take every one of them over Bosh (except maybe Love). And thats not including the old guys (Duncan and Garnett, but thats only because they old). Bosh is no where near the second best power forward right now. More like 5 or 6th best. And he is getting paid close to max dollars and thats the issue.

Personally, I would take LaMarcus Aldridge over Bosh as well.

texasdave
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Dallas at 10-1 is nice. They could be better with Caron Butler back in the mix.
Portland at 30-1 is sweet.
Utah at 60-1 with two lottery picks is worthy of consideration.

Tony Cloninger
06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

I hated the way LeBroin handled his leaving ....but he still had the right to leave if he wanted to and saw no way they build a team around him. He is way overhyped of course....he did that himself and then the media followed, of course.

RBA
06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
The Las Vegas odd makers must think the Lakers are going out and getting somebody(s) this off season. Unless they are counting on the LA fans throwing away their money at those odds.

Chip R
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
The Las Vegas odd makers must think the Lakers are going out and getting somebody(s) this off season. Unless they are counting on the LA fans throwing away their money at those odds.

Dwight Howard said that he isn't going to sign an extention with Orlando unless they improve the team. Rumor has it if he's traded, the Lakers are the team he would go to.

NJReds
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Dwight Howard said that he isn't going to sign an extention with Orlando unless they improve the team. Rumor has it if he's traded, the Lakers are the team he would go to.

Seems to be a good match because they could send Bynum as part of a package back to Orlando. Not sure how the salaries match up. I guess the lakers would have to add salary to make it a match under the current rules.

NJReds
06-14-2011, 12:36 PM

It's a little crazy to put odds on a season before the offseason even starts. What were the Heat's odds last year at this time before "The Decision"?

5TimeWSChamps
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
It's a little crazy to put odds on a season before the offseason even starts. What were the Heat's odds last year at this time before "The Decision"?

Exactly. I got the Celtics at 100-1 before 07-08 the morning of the KG trade because I figured it would go down that afternoon and wanted to get in before the odds changed. Well I put the last $24.88 of my sportsbook account on them at 100-1 and about an hour later they had dropped to 4-1.

That $2,488 was nice

Puffy
06-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Personally, I would take LaMarcus Aldridge over Bosh as well.

Ugh - me too. Forgot to list him! Good call :thumbup:

Puffy
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM

More recently Howard stated he wanted to blaze his own path and stay in Orlando.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6609008

5TimeWSChamps
06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
PF's better than Chrissy Bosh

LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Love
Al Horford
Amare Stoudamire
Pau Gasol
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki

And that's off the top of my head

Tony Cloninger
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Exactly. I got the Celtics at 100-1 before 07-08 the morning of the KG trade because I figured it would go down that afternoon and wanted to get in before the odds changed. Well I put the last $24.88 of my sportsbook account on them at 100-1 and about an hour later they had dropped to 4-1.

That $2,488 was nice

What? NO Taxes? :D

reds44
06-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Yes.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Bosh averaged 24 and 11 his last year in Toronto and shot 51% from the field.

TeamSelig
06-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow you guys are severely underrating Bosh

Puffy
06-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Wow you guys are severely underrating Bosh

I don't think so. Reds44 said he was the second best power forward in NBA. I think he is probably the 4th or 5th best tops. I think Dirk, Amare and Blake Griffin are currently better. I think a strong argument could be made for Randolph and Gasol and Aldridge. Either way, he is in that 4, 5, 6, or 7 range IMO.

Where are you disagreeing?

NJReds
06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't think so. Reds44 said he was the second best power forward in NBA. I think he is probably the 4th or 5th best tops. I think Dirk, Amare and Blake Griffin are currently better. I think a strong argument could be made for Randolph and Gasol and Aldridge. Either way, he is in that 4, 5, 6, or 7 range IMO.

Where are you disagreeing?

And I said he's not a max player. But in a league with a cap, there aren't many players that I wouldn't give a max contract to, that probably could get one on the open market. Probably leftover from the nightmare of Allan Houston.

Puffy
06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
And I said he's not a max player. But in a league with a cap, there aren't many players that I wouldn't give a max contract to, that probably could get one on the open market. Probably leftover from the nightmare of Allan Houston.

Ahhhhh, the Scott Layden years. Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley both traded for and owed over 90 million for the two of them. Salary cap nightmares

TeamSelig
06-16-2011, 11:05 PM
It's hard to gauge Bosh's value as a third option but as a star player, he is better than Amare (better defense and rebounding)... Randolph? Really? The guy is a cancer. Gasol... stat wise Bosh > Gasol but I think Gasol probably has more impact on a game than Bosh does. Gasol plays alot of C though with Bynum out with his yearly injuries. As for Griffin, the dude is a rookie. Let's see him slump a little and see how he reacts.

I'm not even gonna debate stuff like Horford > Bosh. Whoever posted that either doesn't watch the NBA or is trolling.

KoryMac5
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Bosh is definitely top 5 not his fault he is the third option on Miami. In Toronto he averaged 24 and 10 his last season there, and he did perform well the last couple of games in the Finals.

I still would trade Wade for a big and depth though as I think with the way he plays his body is going to start breaking down with injuries in the next few seasons. He plays with reckless abandon out there, has to catch up to him sooner or later.

improbus
06-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Miami was two 4th quarter meltdowns from sweeping the Finals and not having any of the series go for more than 5 games. This was the worst Heat team we will see. so let's give them a few years before we break them apart.

Revering4Blue
06-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Miami was two 4th quarter meltdowns from sweeping the Finals and not having any of the series go for more than 5 games. This was the worst Heat team we will see. so let's give them a few years before we break them apart.

That's true. Looking at this objectively, I don't understand the "break them apart" or fire the coach mentality. With all of the constraints, the Heat were not constructed to win it all this season. Granted, the East was not that strong this year due to injuries and questionable roster moves--I'm looking at you, Boston. But still, to come that close to winning it all in year one of Lebron/Wade/Bosh era is actually quite an accomplishment.

HotCorner
06-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I love this pic! :D

http://i52.tinypic.com/2m7zyis.jpg

Slyder
06-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Short of some vets taking less money to play with the big 3 I don't really see how you can do much better considering what restrictions having 3 max (or near max) contracts puts you behind. I think the Heat as long as they employ all 3 of the big 3 are always going to have issues with depth and relying too heavily on the big 3 that will stumble when they face a team legitimately 7-9 deep like Dallas was this year.

Not to mention the fact that theres already talk with the new collective bargain contract coming up about the league going to a lower HARD salary cap and may necessitate trading one in order to get under the new cap.