PDA

View Full Version : Why don't pitchers throw inside?

Mutaman
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I was listening to an interview with former Cardinal great Bill White and he was asked the biggest difference between baseball now and when he played back in the 60's. Without hesitating he said "Pitchers don't throw inside like they used to. They don't move hitters off the plate. They let hitters control the inside of the plate."

I think Masset is a perfect example. Heres this big goofball who can throw 96 miles per hour and he spends most of his time throwing breaking balls down and away. No wonder hitters get comfortable and step into his pitches and hit them to right field.

I don't get it. What's the reason for this?

Simon Rhymon
04-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Umpires seem to be very sensitive to players getting hit. You see players diving into pitches and getting plunked when the ball is 4 inches inside. Or some hitters wearing big elbow pads and having less "instinct" to jump out of the way and the ump is quick to issue a warning. Then the rest of the game both sides are overly fearful of pitching inside and losing the pitcher for the game plus he and the manager being suspended.

Give me the days of Drysdale, Gibson, and Marichal throwing to both sides of the plate and defending themselves in the batter's box compared to today's methods.