PDA

View Full Version : ABC cancels "All My Children" and "One Life To Live"

Roy Tucker
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I was a big AMC fan back in the '70's. A little sad to see it go.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/abc-cancels-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live/

cumberlandreds
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
My wife watched AMC for a while. She would record it and watch it at night when she got home from work. Are there any daytime soaps left? I would think the niche audience is all but gone since most families have two workers and are not home during the day.
I can remember when I was really young my mother watching As the World Turns,Search for Tomorrow,guiding Light and a couple of others I have forgotten. I think they got a little too risque for her and she eventually quit watching them.

Sweetstop
04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
eons ago when in high school i began watching "the doctors" and "another world". followed them thru college and the early years of my marriage. finally stopped cold when my 3 year old daughter began recognizing all the characters by name..:)

Sea Ray
04-18-2011, 04:06 PM
My wife watched AMC for a while. She would record it and watch it at night when she got home from work. Are there any daytime soaps left? I would think the niche audience is all but gone since most families have two workers and are not home during the day.
I can remember when I was really young my mother watching As the World Turns,Search for Tomorrow,guiding Light and a couple of others I have forgotten. I think they got a little too risque for her and she eventually quit watching them.

I think they have lost their markets but someone's going to be watching TV at that time after these are gone. The airwaves won't go blank. I wonder how long Gen Hospital and the others have? I think there's about 3 or 4 left

Reds
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I was at the grocery store during the NCAA tourney and an old woman was complaining because the basketball was ruining her days because it interrupted her soaps. I think the soap generation is dying off, likely because there aren't as many stay at home mothers/fathers these days.. and I've heard soaps just aren't profitable esp. compared to game shows that are easy to follow and cheap as dirt to make compared to series with cameos etc.

Chip R
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
I was at the grocery store during the NCAA tourney and an old woman was complaining because the basketball was ruining her days because it interrupted her soaps. I think the soap generation is dying off, likely because there aren't as many stay at home mothers/fathers these days.. and I've heard soaps just aren't profitable esp. compared to game shows that are easy to follow and cheap as dirt to make compared to series with cameos etc.

That may well be. From what I understand people believe Bravo, with their slew of "reality" shows will be the choice for the displaced soap opera viewers.