PDA

View Full Version : Value rate your Reds...

brm7675
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I think everyone believes that overall Joey Votto is the number 1 Reds player. But I ask you, if you had to rate the next 9, to give you the Top 10 present Reds, how would you rate them on importance overall to this team. This is not how much you 'like" them, but their overall value to this team both in the field, at the plate and in the clubhouse.

No. 1 Votto
No. 2 Phillips
No. 3 Bronson
No. 4 Rolen
No. 5 Hanigan
No. 6 Stubbs
No. 7 Bruce
No. 8 Co-Co
No. 9 Wood
No. 10 Gomes

swaisuc
04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Cool thread. For 2011 only.....

1. Votto
2. Phillips
3. Rolen
4. Bruce
5. Bronson
6. Chapman
7. Cueto
8. Wood
9. Bailey
10.Cordero

Stubbs or Volquez would probably be next. To me, our 4 main position players are our most valuable, but beyond them its the pitchers. If we were to lose any of 5-10, we would take a pretty big hit. The value a solid, above-average starter brings to your team cannot be overstated. I may be premature putting Chapman 6th until he pitches in some higher leverage situations, but I really expect him to contribute at that level before this season is over.

KYRedLeg
04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
1. Votto
2. Rolen
3. Phillips
4. Gomes
5. Arroyo
6. Hanigan
7. Heisey
8. Bailey
9. Stubbs
10. Bruce

I would continue on with Janish, then Wood. Votto is a given...Rolen's defense at 3rd, decently dependable bat, and clubhouse presence has made this team what it is, I think. BP's glove, and bat...I feel like Gomes' current bat, and "character" he brings to the team is very important.

Why Heisey isn't getting more playing time than Mr. Strikeout and Mr. Streak has me scratching my head right now.

Reds
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Votto
Arroyo
Phillips
Rolen
Bruce
Hanigan
Hernandez
Janish
Stubbs
Gomes

swaisuc
04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
I would continue on with Janish, then Wood. Votto is a given...Rolen's defense at 3rd, decently dependable bat, and clubhouse presence has made this team what it is, I think. BP's glove, and bat...I feel like Gomes' current bat, and "character" he brings to the team is very important.

Why Heisey isn't getting more playing time than Mr. Strikeout and Mr. Streak has me scratching my head right now.

Obviously, this whole thread is a matter of opinion, but it seems like you're basing a ton on who is hot right now. I assume that Mr. Streak is a dig at either Bruce of Stubbs, but neither has been half as streaky as Gomes. He just happens to be on the right side of that streakiness at the moment.

Then again, if the point was who you value more RIGHT NOW for tonight, I should have left guys who are injured off all together and just moved up the hottest bats (Gomes, Hannigan, etc). We probably need to specify a time period for this thread to make much sense.

Reds
04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
I based mine on career performance and expectations for 2011.

BTW i forgot our SS, and didn't include any bullpen, felt it was necessary to include both catchers.

roby
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Very Cool thread idea

1- Votto

2- Arroyo
3- Phillips
4-Cueto
5-Chapman
6-Rolen
7-Bruce
8-Wood
9-Volquez
10-Hanigan/Hernandez

brm7675
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Very Cool thread idea

1- Votto

2- Arroyo
3- Phillips
4-Cueto
5-Chapman
6-Rolen
7-Bruce
8-Wood
9-Volquez
10-Hanigan/Hernandez

Interesting list, why do you value Chapman so highly at this point? Also kinda surprised you have Volquez so high.

bshall2105
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
1.Votto
2.Arroyo
3.Cueto
4.Rolen
5.Bruce
6.Phillips
7.Cordero
8.Stubbs
9.Volquez
10.Chapman
11.This isn't a player but the fact that Paul Keels is gone really improves the value of the Reds

redsfan_12
04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
1. Votto
2. Bruce
3. Phillips
4. Cueto
5. Rolen
6. Co-Co
7. Arroyo
8. Stubbs
9. Chapman/ Masset
10. Gomes

CrimsonCrusader
04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
1) Votto
2) Arroyo
3) Phillips
4) Gomes
5) Bruce
6) Rolen
7) Stubbs
8) Hernandez
9) Hanigan
10)Chapman

DirtyBaker
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
1) Votto
2) Rolen
3) Phillips
4) Arroyo
5) Hanigan
6) Wood
7) Heisey
8) Hernandez
9) Bruce
10) Chapman

Maker_84
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
1) Phillips
2) Votto
3) Cueto
4) Chapman
5) Arroyo
6) Wood
7) Heisey
8) Rolen
9) Stubbs
10) Bruce

mroby85
04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Interesting list, why do you value Chapman so highly at this point? Also kinda surprised you have Volquez so high.

I actually posted that list, he was still logged in on the computer and I had posted before I checked it. The reason I had Chapman so high is because I think he is a huge part of whether this team is successful or not, in the late to middle innings. I think is a pivotal point in the game that Rhodes was automatic in last year, and Chapman needs to step into that spot, and has the potential to do so. Also, he has potential to be that shut down ace that they're missing right now.
Volquez is a similar story, like it or not he has the best potential of shutting anyone completely down in the rotation, and he's shows that several times this season already after the 1st inning. He also had an all star season before his injury that he was unbelievable. I value him highly because of his potential to reach that next tier as a starter, and be "the guy" in the rotation. I know he's been really frustrating this year, and I still wish we didn't trade Hamilton for him, but he shows flashes of greatness, just needs to be more consistent, and hopefully that will come with more reps. I feel like the team needs both of those guys to reach their potential to be legit WS contenders.

Oxblood
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM

1. Votto (hands down our best, might be the best in MLB)
2. Stubbs (if he puts it together, lights out)
3. Janish (the glue in the infield)
4. Rolen (clubhouse champ)
5. Bailey (needs to be our ace, he wants it)
6. Hanigan (all facets solid, on the verge of being great)
7. Phillips (should be higher, possible headcase)
8. Wood (step it up kid)
9. Heisey (needs to play everyday)
10. Arroyo (we want the good bronson)

bounty37h
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
If your including clubhouse as one of 3 considerations as mentioned in OP, its a shame Gomes isnt getting more respect on here. He is the glue for this team IMO with his fire and personality.

DirtyBaker
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
It's Janish who isn't getting respect. He would be above Gomes in my 11-20.

BPhillips4
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure if this is supposed to be, at the peak of their value, future potential included, or how they're performing at this minute.

I'll do mine based on a solid mix of them all lol

1. Votto- Obvious choice is obvious.
2. Jay Bruce- The plate presence must improve, but the potential is still high. Elite-level RF defense is what puts him in this spot for me.
3. Brandon Phillips- His approach at the plate seems vastly improved since mid-last season. Factor in the GG caliber D at a MI position and this is an easy call tome.
4. Travis Wood- True "value" in the fact that he can possibly be the ace of the staff by year's end.
5. Drew Stubbs- The kid is looking more and more like he can really hit and he covers a ton of ground in CF
6. Cueto- If he's as consistent as he can be, the man should be a very good #2 starter for this club.
7. Arroyo- He has been an absolute rock in the middle of the rotation for this club.
8. Volquez- Wildly inconsistent with the potential for greatness. A maddening player really.
9. Rolen- Brings huge leadership abilities to the club, great glove and can still hit. Durability issues keep him from being ranked higher.
10. Chapman- In a few years I feel like he'll be at the top, but for right now it all lies in potential.