PDA

View Full Version : University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

George Foster
12-11-2011, 12:49 AM
I think this game was coach Cal's best coaching preformance at Kentucky. Jones was still in Lexington, Davis in foul trouble the whole game, down 10 points with 6 minutes to play and it still took a miracle 3 to beat us. A loss is a loss but to play N.C., Kansas, Indiana at home, and win 2 of those starting 3 freshman....i will take that.

This will focus the team. They were reading to many press clippings. They can't just show up and win. They learned something valuable today.

fearofpopvol1
12-11-2011, 06:28 AM
First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form did UK deserve to win that game. If we had somehow emerged with a W, I would have felt like we stole it from the Hoosiers.

Something has got to be up with T. Jones. He was not himself at all.

The officials made some real head scratchers, but that is only in line with our history at Assembly Hall. The travel on MGK was especially egregious. They also ignored a clear foul on Lamb in favor of Davis.

Overall, I hope this result will pay positive results for UK deep into March.

Congrats Hoosiers. Don't worry, I won't welch on MY bet. ;)

Being perfectly honest, I thought IU had a few missed calls too that should've been called on UK. I thought overall, it was a pretty fair balance on the refereeing.

jmac
12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I think this game was coach Cal's best coaching preformance at Kentucky. Jones was still in Lexington, Davis in foul trouble the whole game, down 10 points with 6 minutes to play and it still took a miracle 3 to beat us. A loss is a loss but to play N.C., Kansas, Indiana at home, and win 2 of those starting 3 freshman....i will take that.

This will focus the team. They were reading to many press clippings. They can't just show up and win. They learned something valuable today.
Well said. Plus the fact IU hit almost everything they threw up from 3 point range and it seemed every loose ball fell in their hands.
If UK had just hit a free throw or two in the last minute, they would have scratched out a win anyway. (Davis 0-1, Lamb 1-2 )
This team was going to lose a few so let's see how they bounce back. Go Cats !!

TeamSelig
12-11-2011, 09:46 PM
It was interesting to see IU fans rush the court acting like they won a national championship. Eh... maybe I am just bitter.

Scrap Irony
12-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't like anyone rushing the court-- it's a recipe for disaster, as you've got 10,000 college kids geeked out about a win and 15 guys who just lost a tough game walking the other way. It's only a matter of time until someone gets truly hurt.

That said, there's a reason IU fans rushed the court yesterday. They haven't won anything more significant than that game in more than a generation.

Razor Shines
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Don't like anyone rushing the court-- it's a recipe for disaster, as you've got 10,000 college kids geeked out about a win and 15 guys who just lost a tough game walking the other way. It's only a matter of time until someone gets truly hurt.

That said, there's a reason IU fans rushed the court yesterday. They haven't won anything more significant than that game in more than a generation.

A generation? Lol. Nice.

I agree with you on the rushing the court stuff. Players have been injured just not high enough profile players that would cause a knee jerk reaction.

Any school in America would have rushed the court in that situation. Being unranked and beating #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutus
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
A generation? Lol. Nice.

I agree with you on the rushing the court stuff. Players have been injured just not high enough profile players that would cause a knee jerk reaction.

Any school in America would have rushed the court in that situation. Being unranked and beating #1.

People have been rushing the court for, what, four decades? There's certainly a risk of people being injured, and there have most definitely been injuries resulting from it before, but this has been going on so long it seems too PC to start making a big deal of it now.

I do think it is getting overplayed these days, but part of the reason for that is because so many more games are hyped up and televised than ever before.

WVRed
12-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Being perfectly honest, I thought IU had a few missed calls too that should've been called on UK. I thought overall, it was a pretty fair balance on the refereeing.

I'm not going to complain about officiating, especially since the previous year UK shot 44 FT's compared to IU's 16 at Rupp. It did have an impact (especially in the first half), but that's to be expected on an opposing court.

I would kinda like to see the home and home series scrapped and go back to Louisville/Indianapolis. With UK looking to change up its schedule, I wouldn't be opposed to a four team invitational with UK, Louisville, Indiana, and Butler (possibly Notre Dame if Louisville leaves to the Big 12 later) and alternate the venues. I've always found the UK-IU series to be basketball's version of the Red River Rivalry or the World's Largest Cocktail Party, where you can get two equally passionate fanbases into one venue and the rivalry not lose any luster.

WMR
12-11-2011, 11:05 PM
A generation? Lol. Nice.

North Carolina and Kentucky wouldn't, I guarantee it.

IU should be above it as well. They have five freaking NCs... understandably most people rushing the floor last night weren't born yet when they won their last one.

WVRed
12-11-2011, 11:07 PM
People have been rushing the court for, what, four decades? There's certainly a risk of people being injured, and there have most definitely been injuries resulting from it before, but this has been going on so long it seems too PC to start making a big deal of it now.

I do think it is getting overplayed these days, but part of the reason for that is because so many more games are hyped up and televised than ever before.

If the game is in hand, then I don't have a problem with rushing the court. As soon as the game ended, my first reaction was that Kentucky needed to get off the court before somebody got hurt. Indiana won the game on a buzzerbeater and one of the players I noticed on the ground that had fallen was Darius Miller. With a herd of celebratory fans coming at you, you have to kinda worry about the players getting trampled by accident.

WVRed
12-11-2011, 11:08 PM

IU should be above it as well. They have five freaking NCs... understandably most people rushing the floor last night weren't born yet when they won their last one.

Kansas didn't when they beat Ohio State.

Just sayin'.

dabvu2498
12-11-2011, 11:13 PM
UK, UNC, KU never lived through 6-20, 11-21, and 12-20. Not to mention Mike Davis... Although Matt Doherty and Billy Gillispie did their best.

Cut em some slack. I don't know why one fanbase would want to give another fanbase grief for having fun. It's not as if they burned couches. :)

fearofpopvol1
12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
It's the first time IU had knocked off a #1 team in 9 years and it's their best start in 20 years. It's a pretty big deal. Rushing the court is fair game for any school in that sort of position. I'm pretty surprised people care that much and/or are that bitter.

Brutus
12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
It's the first time IU ahd knocked off a #1 team in 9 years and it's their best start in 20 years. It's a pretty big deal. Rushing the court is fair game for any school in that sort of position. I'm pretty surprised people care that much and/or are that bitter.

It just seems like get off my lawn. Something for fans to complain about. Really never understood why it's such a big deal personally.

Razor Shines
12-11-2011, 11:37 PM
It's the first time IU ahd knocked off a #1 team in 9 years and it's their best start in 20 years. It's a pretty big deal. Rushing the court is fair game for any school in that sort of position. I'm pretty surprised people care that much and/or are that bitter.

9 years? That's a short generation.

WVRed
12-12-2011, 12:04 AM

Not bitter at all. Just thinking about the players likely caught in the meelee.

Like I said, I had no problem with Indiana rushing the court, or even South Carolina a couple years ago. My only complaint though is that the game was very much in doubt until the final whistle when the ball left Watford's hands. One of the UK players was on the ground when the fans burst loose.

At the same time though, I really don't know how you handle it. Eventually though somebody WILL get hurt and then rushing the court will be forbidden throughout college basketball.

fearofpopvol1
12-12-2011, 12:41 AM
9 years? That's a short generation.

Sounds like sour grapes

fearofpopvol1
12-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Not bitter at all. Just thinking about the players likely caught in the meelee.

Like I said, I had no problem with Indiana rushing the court, or even South Carolina a couple years ago. My only complaint though is that the game was very much in doubt until the final whistle when the ball left Watford's hands. One of the UK players was on the ground when the fans burst loose.

At the same time though, I really don't know how you handle it. Eventually though somebody WILL get hurt and then rushing the court will be forbidden throughout college basketball.

I can definitely appreciate the safety concerns angle for sure, especially if a player was on the ground. I think that's a valid beef.

cumberlandreds
12-12-2011, 09:06 AM
First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form did UK deserve to win that game. If we had somehow emerged with a W, I would have felt like we stole it from the Hoosiers.

Something has got to be up with T. Jones. He was not himself at all.

The officials made some real head scratchers, but that is only in line with our history at Assembly Hall. The travel on MGK was especially egregious. They also ignored a clear foul on Lamb in favor of Davis.

Overall, I hope this result will pay positive results for UK deep into March.

Congrats Hoosiers. Don't worry, I won't welch on MY bet. ;)

Only thing wrong with Jones was that he didn't think he was getting the ball enough and started pouting. He was seen mouthing "get me the ball" at one point to Teague. If a player doesn't think he's getting the ball enough then you go get it by rebounding and hustling after loose balls. He did none of that. Jones had better grow up in a hurry or UK will not reach its potential this season. According to Cal over the summer we were told he had matured and was going to be the best player in the nation. By Saturdays actions he's a long way from that.

As far as IU rusing the court I expected if they won the game. IU had fallen to bottom of the barrel for three years or so. When you have big bump up like, they are having this season, and finally get a big win against a name team, rushing the court is going to happen. Congrats to them. They deserved the win. They out hustled UK most of the night and quite clearly wanted to win the game more.

BRM
12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Kansas didn't when they beat Ohio State.

Just sayin'.

Kansas wasn't an unranked team coming off some miserable consecutive losing seasons. Let them go through what IU did and then see how they would have responded.

WVRed
12-12-2011, 04:40 PM
For the record, UK stormed the field and tore down the goalposts after beating Tennessee in football earlier this year.

And that was worth it. Can't blame Indiana fans (or anybody else who's had to deal with mediocrity).

Hoosier Red
12-12-2011, 05:00 PM

I've never been a snob about these things as we discussed earlier in the summer. In general, I'm for rushing the court for the biggest home win of the year. There's little doubt that beating the archrival, ranked number 1 coming into the game, on the last second shot will qualify as biggest win of the year. Even if tOSU gets to be #1 by the time IU plays them, it's still not as big of a win because there isnt' the historical rivalry with the Buckeyes that you have with Kentucky.

Whether UNC, or Kentucky would or wouldn't shouldn't really have any concern to IU students or tOSU students or Vanderbilt students. It's a fun experience for everyone involved, and if your school is too cool for that, ce la vie.

5TimeWSChamps
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Worst fans Ive ever dealt with trying to leave. Had people come up to me and shove me while screaming F*** YOU AND F*** KENTUCKY.

I will never ever root for anything good to happen in that state ever again. Louisville fans were 100x better.

And they hang banners for PRESEASON NIT CHAMPIONSHIPS

Razor Shines
12-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Worst fans Ive ever dealt with trying to leave. Had people come up to me and shove me while screaming F*** YOU AND F*** KENTUCKY.

I will never ever root for anything good to happen in that state ever again. Louisville fans were 100x better.

Waaaa. Oh you're not going to root for anything good to happen to Indiana ever again? I guess I better get my helmet.

We've all had bad experiences with fans in other places. You think no one's ever been given a hard time at UK?

I'm sorry that it happened but there are jerks in every crowd.

5TimeWSChamps
12-12-2011, 09:58 PM
So you are condoning assault?

Got it, spoken like a true IU fan, just like Bobby Knight

WVRed
12-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Waaaa. Oh you're not going to root for anything good to happen to Indiana ever again? I guess I better get my helmet.

We've all had bad experiences with fans in other places. You think no one's ever been given a hard time at UK?

I'm sorry that it happened but there are jerks in every crowd.

No doubt. It comes with the territory going into a hostile environment.

Of course, I live in a state that the state's flagship school throws rocks at busses of their in-state rival and distributes t-shirts making fun of a horriffic plane crash that scarred that rival. You really don't have much to complain about.

EDIT NOTE: I just found this story from KSR.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=102294

As we enjoyed cheap domestic drafts, IU fan, after IU student, after IU alum berated us with “Kentucky f*ggots,” “Leave hillbillies,” “F*** Kentucky,” and “You are not welcome here.” Man and woman, boy and girl. If we were keeping statistics it would not be hyperbole to state we heard something along these lines once every 10 minutes, and we estimated that 1 in 7 Hoosiers we came across the entire day verbally assaulted us. It was the most uncomfortable I have ever been in an American town. Frankly, it didn’t even feel American. We couldn’t fathom the abuse we were taking nor where it was stemming from. It was that vitriolic.

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2011, 12:01 AM
The guy whho wrote that is a friend of mine. I was there, and its 100% true

Razor Shines
12-13-2011, 12:44 AM
So you are condoning assault?

Got it, spoken like a true IU fan, just like Bobby Knight

Yeah that's what I said. That's nearly well as ignorant as the people you encountered....well maybe not nearly but you get the point.

All I'm saying is you could probably get stories like that at most rivalry games in the US. Is it right? Of course not but there are idiots that root for every team. And I have to believe that that story is slightly exaggerated.

I used to live between Lexington and Louisville. My wife is Mexican, there were jerks wearing UK gear that made some less than PC comments. You know what that says to me about UK fans? Jack crap.

WMR
12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
I had been wanting to ask you about your experience at the game 5timewschamps. It sounds like your experience was pretty typical of how UK fans were treated... pathetic behavior by IU fans. Sounds like it was primarily the under 30 and students...

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=167549678&mid=167549678&sid=888&style=2

Thread with other first-hand accounts.

I'm glad I wasn't at the game, if someone had shoved me or spit on me I'd be in an Indiana jail right now.

WMR
12-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Some more first-hand accounts...

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=167609458&mid=167609458&sid=888&style=2

Hoosier Red
12-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Often times fans let their emotions get the best of them.

Scrap Irony
12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
A generation? Lol. Nice.

What game has been bigger over the past 20 years?

This win is a crowning achievement for Crean, who, I'm sure, was feeling the heat from three consecutive really crappy seasons.

It's a reminder to the IU fans that they should belong in the upper pantheon of the NCAA and to not accept mediocrity.

It's a sign to potential recruits that IU is the type of program they might want to consider.

The only win that comes close would be Mike Davis' Regional Finals game to put them in the Final Four. However, rightly or wrongly, IU was considered, at that time, as one of the top four programs in basketball history, with North Carolina, Kentucky, and UCLA.

Before the Kentucky win, IU might have been mentioned seventh, behind those four, Duke, and Kansas.

It's a generational win.

dabvu2498
12-13-2011, 09:57 AM
What game has been bigger over the past 20 years?

Beating Duke in the Sweet 16 in 2002.

Every win in the NCAA tourney > any win in December.

This win is nice, but it doesn't mean much if they end up 18-12 or so. And Hoosier fans, this could happen. I don't think it will, but it could.

BRM
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Two friends of mine (U of L grads) will never go to Rupp because they got the same treatment there as you guys outlined above. Like Razor said, it happens everywhere. Sad but true.

Hoosier Red
12-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Some more first-hand accounts...

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=167609458&mid=167609458&sid=888&style=2

I wasn't at the game, but was in Bloomington that night. I can say that these accounts seem to be outside the norm of what I saw. From the experiences shared elsewhere it seems that it was outside the norm.

Doesn't excuse the bad behavior obviously. But i'd hate to see it reflect on the fanbase as a whole. My guess is no matter where you go there are going to be jerks.

Alcohol surprisingly doesn't seem to make them act any better.

Hoosier Red
12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Well said. Plus the fact IU hit almost everything they threw up from 3 point range and it seemed every loose ball fell in their hands.
If UK had just hit a free throw or two in the last minute, they would have scratched out a win anyway. (Davis 0-1, Lamb 1-2 )
This team was going to lose a few so let's see how they bounce back. Go Cats !!

IU was 9 for 15 from behind the line. That's good, but it's not unheard of. I know Sheehey in particular had the one which bounced in, out, and back in. But he had some good looks rattle out in the first half so it all evens out. Leave guys open and it tends to come back and bite you.

UK shot almost 70 percent in the second half. That's unreal. It really speaks to how good UK can be offensively if they get any threat from behind the arc to stretch out a defense.

Heard Calipari said last night something to the effect of "Teague did foul Verdell, it's the only foul they didn't call on us last night."

Considering Kentucky was in the double bonus while UK had four fouls called on them in the 2nd half, it seemed like an appropriately classy thing to say.

What was interesting to me was that going in, I really thought IU was going to have to play almost a perfect game. I thought that if they could hold off the turnovers, and do a good job with rebounds, and get the ball into Zeller they'd have a chance. It turns out they did one of the three and won.

But not to worry Kentucky. That's a good team. I don't think there are a lot of SEC schools who can keep up.

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Im not mad about the outcome, IU deserved to win.

My bliod is still boiling at the postgame behavior though

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/039915857X/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=sr_1_1&qid=1323784718&sr=8-1

First ive heard about this book...Love Wojo though

George Foster
12-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm not going to complain about officiating, especially since the previous year UK shot 44 FT's compared to IU's 16 at Rupp. It did have an impact (especially in the first half), but that's to be expected on an opposing court.

I would kinda like to see the home and home series scrapped and go back to Louisville/Indianapolis. With UK looking to change up its schedule, I wouldn't be opposed to a four team invitational with UK, Louisville, Indiana, and Butler (possibly Notre Dame if Louisville leaves to the Big 12 later) and alternate the venues. I've always found the UK-IU series to be basketball's version of the Red River Rivalry or the World's Largest Cocktail Party, where you can get two equally passionate fanbases into one venue and the rivalry not lose any luster.

If the pre-conference home schedule gets weaker, I will give up my season tickets. The price is crazy as it is. With the ticket price and with the required donation to the blue white fund I pay $195 for 2 tickets per home game. If they scrap the home and home series with North Carolina and Indiana and do not replace them with GOOD teams...I'm out. Its get old paying almost $200 bucks a game to see East Tennessee St, Samford, and Ohio University. All the games are on TV...in HD...I'll keep my 4K.

WVRed
12-13-2011, 11:11 PM
If the pre-conference home schedule gets weaker, I will give up my season tickets. The price is crazy as it is. With the ticket price and with the required donation to the blue white fund I pay $195 for 2 tickets per home game. If they scrap the home and home series with North Carolina and Indiana and do not replace them with GOOD teams...I'm out. Its get old paying almost $200 bucks a game to see East Tennessee St, Samford, and Ohio University. All the games are on TV...in HD...I'll keep my 4K.

From everything I've read, UNC is the likely candidate to be done away with. Next season UK is playing Duke in the Champions Classic and Maryland at the Barclays Center. Add in Louisville and UNC on the road plus a road game in the Big East (or whats left of it) and the schedule is out and out brutal for a team likely rebuilding next season.

The teams that have been floated around are Kansas, Arizona, Texas, and WVU. I'll take the first two.

RiverRat13
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM

I'm not a UK fan but I wouldn't blame you. The early season tournaments are fun and provide great match-ups, but college basketball should be played on college campuses. There's no way the UK/UNC or UK/IU games are nearly as fun if they were played at the United Center or an aircraft carrier. If everything is going the route of made-for-TV, fans might as well follow suit and watch everything on TV.

cumberlandreds
12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
From everything I've read, UNC is the likely candidate to be done away with. Next season UK is playing Duke in the Champions Classic and Maryland at the Barclays Center. Add in Louisville and UNC on the road plus a road game in the Big East (or whats left of it) and the schedule is out and out brutal for a team likely rebuilding next season.

The teams that have been floated around are Kansas, Arizona, Texas, and WVU. I'll take the first two.

Throw in Indiana too. It looks like they are back in the picture now. That is going to be a really tough schedule for a team that is going to lose a ton of talent after this season. Miller and Vargas are seniors. Likely to the NBA are Jones,Lamb,Davis and Gilchrist. If Teague comes along like most of us think he will be gone too. Even a top recruiting class will be hard to replicate that type of talent.

WVRed
12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Throw in Indiana too. It looks like they are back in the picture now. That is going to be a really tough schedule for a team that is going to lose a ton of talent after this season. Miller and Vargas are seniors. Likely to the NBA are Jones,Lamb,Davis and Gilchrist. If Teague comes along like most of us think he will be gone too. Even a top recruiting class will be hard to replicate that type of talent.

Indiana is the other way. The point is scheduling consistency. When we play the other teams, we have IU at home.

Stray
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Figured I'd ask here since maybe you guys can help. I've never been inside Rupp Arena so I have no clue what it's like there...

I was looking to get my parents UK tickets for Christmas. On Stubhub lower level seats are pretty friggin expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has been and can tell me if the upper level seats are still a good place to watch the game? And I assume I should try to get seats in a row that's closer to A than to Z?

WVRed
12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Figured I'd ask here since maybe you guys can help. I've never been inside Rupp Arena so I have no clue what it's like there...

I was looking to get my parents UK tickets for Christmas. On Stubhub lower level seats are pretty friggin expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has been and can tell me if the upper level seats are still a good place to watch the game? And I assume I should try to get seats in a row that's closer to A than to Z?

The upper level are nosebleed. You almost have to bring binoculars in order to see anything.

Something you can try and I can't guarantee this will work, but UK supposedly puts the student section tickets to the holiday week games on sale an hour and a half before gametime. Samford, Loyola, and Lamar are your best bets. The tickets are relatively inexpensive ($5-$10) because the students are away for the holidays.

Stray
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Awesome man, thanks for the info. I'll look into that deal, if I can't get em then I'll look for something else to get them for Christmas lol.

Ticketmaster was pretty much out of 2 tickets together for the games I checked out, and lower level tickets on Stubhub were all 100+ each, and a lot of them were well north of that.

fearofpopvol1
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Brilliant Kentucky Fan- SportsCenter Anchor Audition Tape - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUao4mXPew&feature=related)

WVRed
12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
You need to look up Kige Ramsey. :)

jmac
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
From everything I've read, UNC is the likely candidate to be done away with. Next season UK is playing Duke in the Champions Classic and Maryland at the Barclays Center. Add in Louisville and UNC on the road plus a road game in the Big East (or whats left of it) and the schedule is out and out brutal for a team likely rebuilding next season. The teams that have been floated around are Kansas, Arizona, Texas, and WVU. I'll take the first two.
You bring up a good point my friend and I have been discussing lately. Year 1 , Cal gets a top freshman class and has success. Year 2 , he does it again. Year 3, he may have his best team yet.
Yet, as we have said and you said, next season...Cal will experience something he hasnt had yet at UK. That is lack of experience.
The first 3 years , he has had a few guys who could provide in some cases, quality minutes and in some case points as well.
Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, Josh Harrelson, and the last 2 years....Darius Miller (not really counting his freshman year).
Assuming Jones and Lamb leave, next season appears like UK will lack the experienced "Supporting cast" he has had the last 3 years.
Jon Hood could supply it but the jury is still out on him. So yeah, despite another top-ranked (maybe) class coming in, I can certainly see a rebuilding type season. Still above average but lacking the Miller-Harrelson-Stevenson type on the bench.

WVRed
12-16-2011, 12:34 AM
You bring up a good point my friend and I have been discussing lately. Year 1 , Cal gets a top freshman class and has success. Year 2 , he does it again. Year 3, he may have his best team yet.
Yet, as we have said and you said, next season...Cal will experience something he hasnt had yet at UK. That is lack of experience.
The first 3 years , he has had a few guys who could provide in some cases, quality minutes and in some case points as well.
Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, Josh Harrelson, and the last 2 years....Darius Miller (not really counting his freshman year).
Assuming Jones and Lamb leave, next season appears like UK will lack the experienced "Supporting cast" he has had the last 3 years.
Jon Hood could supply it but the jury is still out on him. So yeah, despite another top-ranked (maybe) class coming in, I can certainly see a rebuilding type season. Still above average but lacking the Miller-Harrelson-Stevenson type on the bench.

I'm not too worried about next year. We have plenty of rides to give and I look for college basketball as a whole to be down due to draft defections. The NBA coming back is going to hurt UK next year, but its going to hurt a lot of other teams who had players spooked into coming back (UNC, Baylor).

UK has Ryan Harrow running the point and being able to practice with this years team as a transfer. Add in the NBA lockout and who he's been able to pickup with and I feel really good about his contributions next season.

Wings will be fun to watch. Archie Goodwin is already in the fold and will likely play the MKG/Liggins role of Cal-coached teams in being able to play and defend three key positions. Alex Poythress is someone who will likely be the sharpshooter for this class with his ability to hit open three's. UK is very much in play for Shabazz Muhammad who has an intense motor similar to MKG.

Inside, well.... Kyle Wiltjer will likely be back and can play an inside out game at the center position. He won the three point shooting contest last year at the McDonalds All American game and has worked inside on developing a hookshot. Willie Cauley is a raw defensive type of project who reminds me a lot of Joey Dorsey. Won't give much offense but the defensive and rebounding presence is there.

Another name to keep an eye on: Khem Birch. Birch is looking into transferring from Pitt because he isn't happy playing center and one of the schools being mentioned is Kentucky. He is an athletic PF type prospect who would likely have to sit until January of 2013, so he would be available for the second half of the season.

In the end, Cal will get who he wants. I wouldn't be shocked if UK has a surprise player or two return next season. If I had to wager, it would be Doron Lamb. Lamb is one of the best players in college basketball, but is undersized for a SG at the NBA level. I think he would be a first rounder this year, but improving as a combo guard could get him sold as a PG to the NBA, especially running an offense with Muhammad, Goodwin, and Poythress at the wings.

jmac
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Someone mentioned to me today that Lamb looks like the kind that may come back for another season.
Also, when I was mentioning the UK experience over the last few years, I forgot about Liggins till WVRed mentioned him. He played an important role too.

WMR
12-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow, this is super exciting.

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/17/1997718/lexington-committee-oks-design.html

Joseph
12-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow, this is super exciting.

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/17/1997718/lexington-committee-oks-design.html

Love it, but whats with the horses in the photo?

WVRed
12-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Some pretty nice statlines from the game tonight. Davis with a double double in the first half. MKG flirting with a triple double. Teague with 8 assists to one turnover.

Terrence Jones injured his pinkie and didn't return. Hopefully he gets straightened out for Louisville.

WMR
12-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Love it, but whats with the horses in the photo?

Been around Lex lately? I'm guessing it's an homage to the horses in the park and around town. just guessing

jmac
12-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Here is a little snippet and the link as well that most UK fans will like to see. :D Wonder what Rick thinks of this ?

“Yeah, we’re one of them. Like I said, rankings don’t mean nothing, for real, ’cause we better than half the teams, but we ain’t gonna get into all that. But that’s just how I feel and that’s the attitude I’m gonna walk into every game with. And I mean, then we beat Vandy and um, Memphis. Yes, Yes, we are the number one team in the country in my eyes. [Chip: "Number one?"] Number one team in the country in my eyes. And like I said, we gonna go undefeated. Point blank, period.”

Chane Behanan ï€*"We're the No. 1 team in the country..." - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTOwawTmV8&feature=player_embedded)

Joseph
12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Here is a little snippet and the link as well that most UK fans will like to see. :D Wonder what Rick thinks of this ?

I always heard you could get a good education at U of L.

5TimeWSChamps
12-30-2011, 01:03 PM
UL tomorrow

Stray
12-31-2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder if Cincinnati/Xavier has anything to do with the refs in this game. That was about as unwatchable of a half of basketball as I've ever seen.

Foul, foul, foul, foul, turnover, foul, foul, foul.

joshnky
12-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I wonder if Cincinnati/Xavier has anything to do with the refs in this game. That was about as unwatchable of a half of basketball as I've ever seen.

Foul, foul, foul, foul, turnover, foul, foul, foul.

No, that is how every Louisville game goes. When you foul constantly you play a lot of ugly games. Fortunately it works for them most of the time.

WMR
12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
IDK about basketball, but Pitino has got a great rugby team there.

29-14 now all-time.

joshnky
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
IDK about basketball, but Pitino has got a great rugby team there.

29-14 now all-time.

The 'rugby' style plays a lot better in the big east than it does in non-conference or tournament games.

Kentucky has a great team but I feel a lot better about the Cards after this game. If Russ Smith can continue to play at a high level and Siva gets out of his funk this team will be in contention for the Big East title. The defense is solid and the offense will hopefully come around with health and experience.

WMR
12-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Russ Smith appears to be 2x the player Siva is.

He has filled the Knowles role quite well.

WMR
12-31-2011, 05:24 PM
MKG is just a beast... probably my favorite player to watch of the Cal era simply because he plays so hard every single play. NEVER takes a second off, much less a play.

joshnky
12-31-2011, 05:47 PM
MKG is just a beast... probably my favorite player to watch of the Cal era simply because he plays so hard every single play. NEVER takes a second off, much less a play.

Agreed. He was the difference maker in this game.

And as you well know having Davis inside is a huge help and really threw off Louisville's game. Siva and Kuric thrive on that drive and kick to the corner when the wing defender moves to help. One thing I noticed with UK is Kuric's defender never left him because they didn't need to with Davis inside. Kuric excels when he is given room to work but UK rarely even gave him room to catch the ball.

On the other side, Teague has to scare UK fans. It says something that Siva had an awful game but you could still make the case that he outplayed Teague (which is a comparison of two awful lines). Maybe he turns it on like Knight did last year but, if not, he is going to cost them some games.

5TimeWSChamps
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Anthony Davis if he hadnt gone through his growth spurt...

farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6627995027_2d00f007b0.jpg

WVRed
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Not at all crazy about this draw. Saw Baylor play WVU this year and they have the size to give Kentucky problems. UConn as a three seed is scary as well.

Sad reality is, as WMR said last year, how many times will the NCAA try to screw Kentucky over?

jmac
01-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Just curious on this, as I was driving home ..the Big Blue call in show was on. I dont normally listen to this btw so thats why I'm asking.
Anyway, an assistant coach was on instead of Cal. Does anyone know if Cal has done any of these shows this year ?
I was talking to a friend about this the other day and said how, while Cal has the personality to handle the fanfare that comes with UK from a national perspective, he doesnt seem like the kind of guy who would really like listening to the "Why Doesnt Polson play more....I'll hang up and listen" type callers. :D

Hoosier Red
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I've certainly never failed to criticize Kentucky Sports Radio or Matt Jones when I felt it was warranted. But big ups to him for interceding on behalf of the freshman who made a $10,000 shot at halftime and whom Kroger informed it might not pay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/protest-helps-half-court-shot-contest-winner-claim-153247431.html

WVRed
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
I've certainly never failed to criticize Kentucky Sports Radio or Matt Jones when I felt it was warranted. But big ups to him for interceding on behalf of the freshman who made a $10,000 shot at halftime and whom Kroger informed it might not pay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/protest-helps-half-court-shot-contest-winner-claim-153247431.html

I work at Kroger and to be honest I am actually embarrassed that this happened. This is a Fortune 500 company that $10,000 isn't a lot of money to and will go a long way to a college freshman.

The replay may have been questionable, but don't create negative publicity by refusing to pay. It makes Kroger look cheap and petty, and working there, I've got plenty of stories that I'll save for another day.

Razor Shines
01-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Should have just given him a giant check and when he couldn't cash it tell him he needs to find a bigger bank.

WVRed
01-12-2012, 12:51 AM
With Tennessee coming up, here goes:

http://tagsgf.com/wp-content/uploads/TAGsgf-Cuonzo_Martin-scowl.jpg

http://www.moviewallpaper.net/wpp/Samuel_L_Jackson_in_Coach_Carter_Wallpaper_3_800.j pg

cumberlandreds
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
It will be a tough game in Knoxville. It always is for UK. If they come out not ready to hustle and play hard, like last night, it will be an L.

Scrap Irony
01-12-2012, 09:31 AM
In Kentucky's only two real away games, they've really struggled.

Were they playing a good team last night, they'd have lost.

It may be a similar year to last, with UK losing five or six games they shouldn't in the league.

WMR
01-12-2012, 02:03 PM
This team is further along right now than last year's team was at this time. Last year's team probably loses last night, this team toughed it out and ended up winning by 15 in the end after really struggling throughout.

It's so hilarious seeing the crowds that show up in the SEC for Kentucky versus any other school in the conference. This is certainly nothing new, though. It has been like that for us in the SEC for 60 years.

WMR
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Think they might be starting to get a little tired of the Tubster up in the frozen tundra...

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120112/SPORTS04/101120035/DeLand-column-Gophers-need-recycle-coach?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Outdoors|s

WMR
01-12-2012, 02:31 PM
UK is leading the SEC in FT%?!?!?!

That can't be right. :lol:

cumberlandreds
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Think they might be starting to get a little tired of the Tubster up in the frozen tundra...

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120112/SPORTS04/101120035/DeLand-column-Gophers-need-recycle-coach?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Outdoors|s (http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120112/SPORTS04/101120035/DeLand-column-Gophers-need-recycle-coach?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Outdoors|s)

Ouch! Tubby's days are numbered in Minnesota. I can't see him lasting past this season.

WMR
01-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm sure Dick Vitale is going to be taking to ESPN to call out the Gopher fan base any day now... ;)

jmac
01-12-2012, 08:47 PM
This team is further along right now than last year's team was at this time. Last year's team probably loses last night, this team toughed it out and ended up winning by 15 in the end after really struggling throughout.
It's so hilarious seeing the crowds that show up in the SEC for Kentucky versus any other school in the conference. This is certainly nothing new, though. It has been like that for us in the SEC for 60 years.
I thought the same thing ! :beerme:

Joseph
01-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Has TJ hurt his draft stock by coming back this year?

jmac
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
He may have technically hurt it but I didnt think he was NBA ready last year and still dont think so this year up till now. By "ready", I mean being able to come in and make an immediate impact.

Stray
01-18-2012, 01:28 AM
So yeah, Anthony Davis is pretty good.

cumberlandreds
01-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Davis put himself into POY talk after last night. He's just getting better and better. He's also just showing a tip of what he can do. UK will never see his full potential but some lucky NBA team will.

Scrap Irony
01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Davis is the most disruptive player in college basketball right now. I don't know if that makes him the POY, but it does put him in the discussion. His defense-- both on-ball and off-- is remarkable. You literally have to get into his body and even then, he may block or alter your shot. When he's in the game and another team scores in the lane, I'm surprised.

His offense is coming around as well. That spin move away from the defender with his left hand was a thing of beauty, as was the drive to the hoop from 20 (with one dribble) where he got fouled.

Selfishly, I'd love to see what he could do for three years of college ball, but, yeah, he's ready now to play Marcus Camby as a pro. As he progresses, I see a little Hakeem and a little Duncan in him. IMO, the best pro prospect to come out of Kentucky that I've ever seen.

Razor Shines
01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Davis is the most disruptive player in college basketball right now. I don't know if that makes him the POY, but it does put him in the discussion. His defense-- both on-ball and off-- is remarkable. You literally have to get into his body and even then, he may block or alter your shot. When he's in the game and another team scores in the lane, I'm surprised.

His offense is coming around as well. That spin move away from the defender with his left hand was a thing of beauty, as was the drive to the hoop from 20 (with one dribble) where he got fouled.

Selfishly, I'd love to see what he could do for three years of college ball, but, yeah, he's ready now to play Marcus Camby as a pro. As he progresses, I see a little Hakeem and a little Duncan in him. IMO, the best pro prospect to come out of Kentucky that I've ever seen.

And he's ^ not even a UK fan.

Isn't that the obligatory line after scrap defends or praises UK? Lol

Im not trying to start trouble, just messing with you guys.

Scrap Irony
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
And he's ^ not even a UK fan.

Isn't that the obligatory line after scrap defends or praises UK? Lol

Im not trying to start trouble, just messing with you guys.

Does it help if I say I'm a Calipari fan?

He was among the best people I met while covering recruiting a decade ago. I would have become a Memphis fan, but I was a Western grad and couldn't see rooting for a team in Tennessee. Besides, WKU is the alma mater-- that's who you should root for. Anyway, as a neophyte reporter, I didn't understand how things worked. He sat down with me, explaining how this stuff was to go, gave suggestions about questions, places to talk to recruits, to other coaches, what subjects to avoid, how to get them to open up.

He literally took an hour out of his day-- while recruiting-- to help out some guy whom he would likely never see again.

When he did see me again (the next year), he remembered my name and introduced me around the coaching carousel. He made Tom Izzo and others move down the seats so that I could sit next to him while he evaluated high school talent. He showed me his notes (and let me Xerox them), talked about his recruiting philosophies, and got the other coaches to open up about their philosophies.

It was a fascinating look into the world and mind of CBB coaching. I wouldn't have gotten it if not for Cal.

And the thing is, he didn't have to do it. There was absolutely no reason to talk to me. I was from a middle-of-the-road paper in the middle-of-the-road Kentucky town with no interest in Calipari (at the time). We weren't even on the internet at the time, so it's not like he got anything out of it. It was a totally altruistic move on his part-- and altruistic moves are rarer than hen's teeth in just about any part of today's society, let alone the insular world of CBB coaches.

All this talk about how "slimy" he is bothers me, as I actually know a little about the man. He's the opposite of slimy. Or at least he was to me.

Redhook
01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Wow. Thanks for sharing that story Scrap.

WMR
01-19-2012, 01:10 AM
AD has got a little Garnett in his game too.

I'll be very interested to see what his game looks like once it's fully developed a few years from now. He has all the tools.

WMR
01-19-2012, 01:24 AM
That is a pretty powerful recollection, Scrap.

You had mentioned before that you had had experiences with Cal, but that's the first time you've gone that in-depth that I can remember. Kudos to you. I'm envious you got to experience that with Cal.

cumberlandreds
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow. Thanks for sharing that story Scrap.

Same from me. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

Razor Shines
01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Does it help if I say I'm a Calipari fan?

He was among the best people I met while covering recruiting a decade ago. I would have become a Memphis fan, but I was a Western grad and couldn't see rooting for a team in Tennessee. Besides, WKU is the alma mater-- that's who you should root for. Anyway, as a neophyte reporter, I didn't understand how things worked. He sat down with me, explaining how this stuff was to go, gave suggestions about questions, places to talk to recruits, to other coaches, what subjects to avoid, how to get them to open up.

He literally took an hour out of his day-- while recruiting-- to help out some guy whom he would likely never see again.

When he did see me again (the next year), he remembered my name and introduced me around the coaching carousel. He made Tom Izzo and others move down the seats so that I could sit next to him while he evaluated high school talent. He showed me his notes (and let me Xerox them), talked about his recruiting philosophies, and got the other coaches to open up about their philosophies.

It was a fascinating look into the world and mind of CBB coaching. I wouldn't have gotten it if not for Cal.

And the thing is, he didn't have to do it. There was absolutely no reason to talk to me. I was from a middle-of-the-road paper in the middle-of-the-road Kentucky town with no interest in Calipari (at the time). We weren't even on the internet at the time, so it's not like he got anything out of it. It was a totally altruistic move on his part-- and altruistic moves are rarer than hen's teeth in just about any part of today's society, let alone the insular world of CBB coaches.

All this talk about how "slimy" he is bothers me, as I actually know a little about the man. He's the opposite of slimy. Or at least he was to me.

That is pretty cool. And I've never had anything bad to say about Cal anyway.

I completely understand liking a program because of a personal interaction with a coach. That's why I have such affection for Duke. I had a personal experience with K where he did some amazing things for some friends of mine that he had no reason to do other than kindness and he had no expectation of ever receiving public praise for his deeds.

New York Red
01-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Has TJ hurt his draft stock by coming back this year?
The latest NBA Draft Express 2012 mock draft came out yesterday, and it had Terrence Jones listed at #10, so apparently his returning for a second year hasn't effected his draft stock at all. His finger still isn't 100% healed, but it's getting there and I think it showed in his last couple games. He's getting back to the TJ he was prior to the IU game, and that is bad news for UK opponents.

Scrap Irony
01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
The latest NBA Draft Express 2012 mock draft came out yesterday, and it had Terrence Jones listed at #10, so apparently his returning for a second year hasn't effected his draft stock at all.

It should. Jones seems to be someone who wilts under pressure. He'll need to be treated with kid gloves as an NBA player, and coaches don't normally do that. (Witness Paul Westphal and Demarcus Cousins as an example.)

WMR
01-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Grats to Derek Willis on choosing Kentucky today.

WVRed
01-20-2012, 10:24 PM
It should. Jones seems to be someone who wilts under pressure. He'll need to be treated with kid gloves as an NBA player, and coaches don't normally do that. (Witness Paul Westphal and Demarcus Cousins as an example.)

I don't know. The NBA is a league that drafts primarily on talent, and Jones is a hybrid mismatch for teams. Can play both forward positions at the next level, has decent range, and a lefty to boot. Reminds me a lot of Lamar Odom.

I have a feeling that the 2013 class could be even scarier than this one, and Derek Willis is the first piece. From everything I've seen, the floor for Willis is Scott Padgett, leading me to think he will fill Wiltjer's role if he goes pro his sophomore year.

WMR
01-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't see Wiltjer leaving until at least after his Junior season. He couldn't come close to making it in the NBA right now with his defense and lack of physicality. (That being said, he will be a great player for UK before he leaves.)

WMR
01-21-2012, 05:41 AM
What is going on at Louisville?

They are seriously imploding quicker than any team I have ever witnessed. Any UL fans please chime in. From my friends who are UL fans, they are getting more and more sick of Pitino by the minute....

Coach Rick Pitino, on George Mason transfer G Luke Hancock:

"He's our best basketball player. He's mentally [and] physically the best player on the team. He's a true basketball player. I really haven't coached anyone like him in my life. He's got a gigantic chip on his shoulder, and I mean that in a positive way."

WMR
01-21-2012, 09:02 AM
CALIPARI CALIPARI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3EUPOp9hk)

:laugh:

jmac
01-22-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't see Wiltjer leaving until at least after his Junior season. He couldn't come close to making it in the NBA right now with his defense and lack of physicality. (That being said, he will be a great player for UK before he leaves.)

Agree totally on Wiltjer. The only thing that will I think even put a "leaving" notion in his head is if he has a couple of good tourney games, hits some 3's etc and gets alot of media love.
It would be nice to see him and Hood come back strong next year and be major impact players. (course Wiltjer can still impact this year too ) ;)

5TimeWSChamps
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Terrence Jones may be back

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Stray
01-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Man I saw some of that game today, LSU played really dirty.

Scrap Irony
01-28-2012, 08:08 PM
I didn't think so.

They played tough, that's all.

Stray
01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
I didn't think so.

In what I watched, I saw Anthony Davis get tackled from behind and smacked in his face. I get playing hard, but those were cheap shots.

WMR
01-29-2012, 12:17 AM
A flagrant 2 is the very definition of a dirty play. :doh:

They took about 4 cheap shots at AD today. Glad he emerged without any serious injury. That pull down from behind is how careers get ended.

WVRed
01-29-2012, 12:59 AM
A flagrant 2 is the very definition of a dirty play. :doh:

They took about 4 cheap shots at AD today. Glad he emerged without any serious injury. That pull down from behind is how careers get ended.

If a Flagrant 2 hadn't been called, I almost wonder if Cal would have went Woody Hayes. I don't think I have ever seen Cal that upset (and deservedly so).

On a side note, do you think if LSU's football team would have tackled the way the basketball team did, that they would have won the national championship? :)

cumberlandreds
01-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I didn't think so.

A horse tackle is a dirty play. He should be suspended for a game or two also.
If UK plays like they did Saturday the rest of the season I don't see anyone not in the NBA beating them. When Davis,Jones and Gilchrist are all clicking there's not a better frontline. Saying that Gilchrist had an off game offensively but he was terrific defensively.

RiverRat13
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Kentucky has far and away the most talent of any team in college basketball. And that's really saying something considering how good UNC, OSU, UConn and Syracuse could be this year. If Cal can't win a title with this group, the scrutiny he should be under should dwarf anything Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, or any other coach in recent memory who "couldn't win the big one" faced.

I posted this on November 8th and I still stand by it.

durl
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
A horse tackle is a dirty play. He should be suspended for a game or two also.

I agree. If you're going to commit a flagrant foul in order to prevent a basket, wrap the guy up and hold him still. Putting both hands on his shoulders and pulling/pushing him down to the floor while he's in the air is dangerous stuff.

Scrap Irony
01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
He's running full-tilt boogie and trying to stop the guy from dunking.

Was it a hard foul? Sure. Was it technically a Flagrant-2? Sure, I guess.

Was it meant to harm the other player? Not hardly.

If he'd have meant harm, he'd have harmed him.

That's the kind of stuff Kentucky is going to get until they totally destroy two or three teams in a row. Or until officials start calling everything.

Which is boring.

It's going to be a wrestling match pretty much every time out. That's the only way most of these teams stay with UK.

Maybe Florida plays fast. Maybe Vandy.

But, for the most part, it's going to be the same thing as LSU night in, night out.

jmac
01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
In response to the post earlier, yes Cal does have imo the most talented team. I dont think though that they are "way ahead" of UNC or OSU and probably even Syracuse. While I think UK would be favored by most, as a UK fan, I understand the tourney is 1 and done. One good shooting game or bad shooting game or bad call away from going home till next season.
Guess I am saying if UK doesnt win it all, I wont be ready to ride Cal out on the next bus. He has got UK back to where we are relevant again and that is what I was wanting.
I will say this is the best UK team since the 96 team and they have an excellent chance of going the distance. :thumbup:

Joseph
01-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't watch every game, but I will say that Cal has made the last two years the most interesting and exciting since the back to back to back national championship appearances in the late 90's.

ervinsm84
01-30-2012, 11:30 PM
In response to the post earlier, yes Cal does have imo the most talented team. I dont think though that they are "way ahead" of UNC or OSU and probably even Syracuse. While I think UK would be favored by most, as a UK fan, I understand the tourney is 1 and done. One good shooting game or bad shooting game or bad call away from going home till next season.
Guess I am saying if UK doesnt win it all, I wont be ready to ride Cal out on the next bus. He has got UK back to where we are relevant again and that is what I was wanting.
I will say this is the best UK team since the 96 team and they have an excellent chance of going the distance. :thumbup:

I think its debatable whether or not its Cal's most talented team, but youre definitely right that about the nature of the tournament. The tournament is a variance filled giant box of luck and all coaches and teams can do is try and get as good of a chance as possible to bring home a title. I think tournament success is one of the most overrated things out there as far as how good a coach or program is doing, even though its the only thing a lot of fans will care about. So far, in his tenure, Id say he's definitely done a great job with the talent hes brought into Kentucky, and really with the way his teams have guarded its been tremendous. Even if this UK team gets a terrible matchup in rd 2 and plays a team that has a guy play the game of his life (like Brandon Paul of Illinois did vs Ohio State when he dropped 43 points on 15 shots) and Kentucky doesnt make the sweet 16, hopefully most UK fans wont be calling for his head.

The one thing I think he hasnt gotten enough credit for is how good of a defensive coach he really is. Im not sure what he teaches or does differently, or maybe he just gets guys to buy in more, but year in and year out his teams at Memphis and his UK teams have been one of the tops for defensive efficiency (pts allowed per poss adjust for opp).

2012 UK #8 at 86.7
2011 UK #15 at 90.4
2010 UK #6 at 86.3
2009 Mem #1 at 82.5
2008 Mem #4 at 83.9
2007 Mem #11 at 86.9
2006 Mem #6 at 87.4

His worst defensive team over the past 7 years was #15 in the country and made a final four. Thats a pretty absurd track record and as much as some of his detractors will point to him "just getting great players," and not being able to actually "coach" them there are tons of really talented teams that are absolutely anemic at defense.

jmac
01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
When I say most talented, I was basically saying most balanced. His first team was mainly inside and last year was perimeter.
This year, you have A good mixture of inside/outside and some slasher types as well.
I hadnt been much of a Teague fan all season but he seems to really be coming around about running the offense.
As posted above...a very good defensive team as well.

WVRed
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM

What scares me as always is youth. You really never know what to expect, but this team can beat you in so many different ways. I do want Kentucky to lose one more game before the NCAA tournament starts, even if its a SEC tournament game. With such a young team, I'd rather see them hit a brick wall in conference play than in March.

We have the athleticism to run any team out of the gym. Play zone and you've got Miller, Lamb, and Wiltjer who has come on of late who can knock it down from three. Force UK to beat you inside and you've got Davis and Jones.

Until this teams wins a title, I don't even want to begin comparing this team to the 96 team. The 96 team had balance, but had two proven seniors (Delk and McCarty), two juniors (Derek Anderson and Anthony Epps), a star sophomore (Antoine Walker), and a star freshman (Ron Mercer). We are basically running out one senior (Miller), two sophomores (Lamb and Jones), and the rest are freshmen.

WMR
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
There are no sure things in the NCAA tournament. UL fans should know that as well as anyone.

I'll be disappointed if this team doesn't reach the Final Four, but no matter what happens, there is no coach I would rather have than Cal.

dabvu2498
01-31-2012, 04:53 PM
The 1996 team was legit 10 deep.

There was a future NBA center (Mohammed) on that team who could barely get off the bench.

Ditto 1998 and Michael Bradley.

dabvu2498
01-31-2012, 05:18 PM
After looking back at those 96-97-98 teams on http://www.bigbluehistory.net, I poked around some more at that site. (Great site, by the way.)

All of the top 5 scoring seasons by freshmen at UK have occurred in the last 2 seasons (Knight, Wall, Jones, Cousins, and Lamb). #9 (Bledsoe) is also from the last 2 seasons. In the top 20 of that list, only 2 were Pitino recruits (Mashburn and Rhodes).

I can remember thinking how amazing Ron Mercer was as a freshman. Yet, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will likely surpass his season scoring total tonight. Anthony Davis already has.

Amazing how much recruiting/roster structuring has changed in a fairly short amount of time.

Sea Ray
01-31-2012, 05:36 PM
You guys worried about the game tonight at 7?

WVRed
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM

I was more worried about playing you guys in Knoxville. Cuonzo has done pretty good since coming to Tennessee. Kinda helps you got a five star recruit a bit early too. :)

If we lose this game, we can blame Nike for the new uniforms and it will be an excuse for the older fans to scream about wearing something other than blue and white. :D

ervinsm84
01-31-2012, 06:13 PM

Im not a UK fan but id be shocked if they lost this game. Change it to @ Tenn again and then it'd be a concern for them.

Fwiw, Uk is favored by 16.5 points and the vig free ML is basically them as a 14.5 to 1 favorite.

Really, the only games left in the reg season that they have any real chance of losing are:
@ Miss St
vs Fla
@ Fla
vs Vandy
@ Vandy

New York Red
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
After looking back at those 96-97-98 teams on http://www.bigbluehistory.net, I poked around some more at that site. (Great site, by the way.)
For a single team or school, that's the best sports information site I've ever seen, and I've been on the internet a long, long time (since 1994). Jon Scott has done an incredible job accumulating data for that site. For anything UK basketball related, it's the only place you need.

New York Red
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
I only worry when we go on the road. The home winning streak has to end at some point, but I don't think it happens this year.

jmac
01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
I only worry when we go on the road. The home winning streak has to end at some point, but I don't think it happens this year.

For some reason I can see Vandy coming into Rupp and drilling around 15-3's. They are the team that I have said "could" stop the home court.
If UK comes out to play, I think they should run the table at home though.

cumberlandreds
02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Another devastating defensive performance by UK. If Woolridge doesn't have that 3 pt flurry in the 1st half, UT struggles to get to 30 points. They are quickly becoming one of the best defensive teams I have seen at UK. Davis is really coming on too. He's starting to hit that 15 ft jumper that he was missing earlier in the season. If he hits that shot consistently he becomes very Kevin Durant-like.

cumberlandreds
02-01-2012, 09:10 AM
For a single team or school, that's the best sports information site I've ever seen, and I've been on the internet a long, long time (since 1994). Jon Scott has done an incredible job accumulating data for that site. For anything UK basketball related, it's the only place you need.

That is a great site. I refer to it often.

Sea Ray
02-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I tuned it early in the first half and it was 20-5, then told my wife to change the channel. That was enough basketball for me...

WVRed
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I tuned it early in the first half and it was 20-5, then told my wife to change the channel. That was enough basketball for me...

So much for us being worried about the game. :D

I don't see anybody beating UK at Rupp this season. Especially the way they are playing right now. The first half of the SEC schedule has been pretty easy with the weaker teams in the conference. Three of the last four games (at Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and at Florida) will tell a lot about the team heading into tournament play. Florida next week then Vandy for College Gameday will be huge as well.

I hate seeing how far Tennessee has fallen. It kinda sucks seeing you guys scheduled and over with before we even play the top SEC teams in Florida and Vandy. Usually one of the games was in late February or March.

Scrap Irony
02-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Both Florida and Vandy have all the requirements to beat Kentucky, no matter where they might play.

1) Both teams have multiple players that can shoot from long distance. (Not just threes, but long threes.) This stretches the defense and allows for easier drives to the hoop, as the middle of the lane gets less clogged with well-balanced shooters. No UK opponent shoots better than Vandy-- or Florida, for that matter. Both have at least three guys on the court at all time that can shoot from 25 for a decent percentage.

2) Both teams have a tough rebounder and scorer underneath that can play physical. The best bet for other teams is still to rough up Davis. Both Florida and Vandy have that guy. They could very well negate Davis' numbers and perhaps get him in foul trouble. Kentucky is a completely different team without Davis-- they are inherently beatable.

3. Both play tight defense, daring you to drive, then play very good help defense in taking charges. Both Donovan and Stalllings like charges, chart them, and focus on them. (Unlike Kentucky, who looks for blocks.) This may get four or give Kentucky players in foul trouble.

IMO, Kentucky is likely to lose at least one more game, perhaps three. (Mississippi State also looks like a team that could beat UK.)

dabvu2498
02-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Vanderbilt won't beat UK in Rupp and it will take a huge effort by the Dores to beat them in Memorial. And even then, if it's a close game, the edge will go to UK.

My Dores are pretty much gutless.

Scrap Irony
02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Vanderbilt won't beat UK in Rupp and it will take a huge effort by the Dores to beat them in Memorial. And even then, if it's a close game, the edge will go to UK.

My money is on Vandy at home, Kentucky at Rupp.

But if you held a gun to my head and made me pick one team that has the best shot at upsetting Kentucky at home, it's your gutless 'Dores. They always play Calipari teams tough, as they space and shoot well. Too, defensively, they make Kentucky beat them outside.

jmac
02-01-2012, 06:35 PM

They certainly have the tools to do better than what they've shown so far. Like last night however, trailing Arkansas by around 6-8 with 40 seconds to go and they were taking 10 seconds or more to get a shot off. The announcers were even saying "They're taking too much time."
Yet there was Stallings with arms crossed standing watching instead of encouraging them to get moving (he was right in front of team also).
Still, It wouldnt surprise me to see Vandy win the game at Tn.

dabvu2498
02-01-2012, 06:42 PM
They certainly have the tools to do better than what they've shown so far. Like last night however, trailing Arkansas by around 6-8 with 40 seconds to go and they were taking 10 seconds or more to get a shot off. The announcers were even saying "They're taking too much time."
Yet there was Stallings with arms crossed standing watching instead of encouraging them to get moving (he was right in front of team also).
Still, It wouldnt surprise me to see Vandy win the game at Tn.

If Vandy were to get some sort of significant lead (10+), they may be able to sustain it. Maybe. But if it's close, or they have to mount a comeback. Forget it.

See the end of the VU-Miss State game for evidence. 2 last second situations and one of them falls to Brad Tinsley and the other goes to Jenkins and he rushes a shot that he had time to take.

They're talented. But they're gutless. And I think Stallings is kind of weary of them. I'm pretty much weary of them myself.

Sea Ray
02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
So much for us being worried about the game. :D

I don't see anybody beating UK at Rupp this season. Especially the way they are playing right now. The first half of the SEC schedule has been pretty easy with the weaker teams in the conference. Three of the last four games (at Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and at Florida) will tell a lot about the team heading into tournament play. Florida next week then Vandy for College Gameday will be huge as well.

I hate seeing how far Tennessee has fallen. It kinda sucks seeing you guys scheduled and over with before we even play the top SEC teams in Florida and Vandy. Usually one of the games was in late February or March.

I'm amazed Tenn has done as well as it has. They've lost a lot of close games to big teams this year. We all know why they are where they are

WMR
02-01-2012, 10:00 PM
So we beat Eww T at football, swept in men's bball, women's bball, badminton, bowling... anything else I'm forgetting?

jmac
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
So we beat Eww T at football, swept in men's bball, women's bball, badminton, bowling... anything else I'm forgetting?
Signed a football recruit today who decommitted from UT...:D

Joseph
02-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Signed a football recruit today who decommitted from UT...:D

Which one?

jmac
02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
This is the player, Joseph. Feel free to move to football thread if you want.

Khalid Henderson – LB – 6’0 / 213 – Mableton, GA
There might not be a player that more fans were awaiting a LOI from than Henderson. He’s a talented linebacker with defensive back-like speed. He plays just like Danny Trevathan and could actually pull off the same look if he could grow his dreads out just a little longer. A former Tennessee commitment, Henderson should challenge for playing time at linebacker right away when he arrives in Lexington.

jessica.mike22
02-02-2012, 02:53 AM
http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/37/b/happy.gif

I'd kill for Jones and Liggins to come back. If all 3 decided to it'd be incredible. It's just a little depressing because of the fact that other schools have been able to return their studs.

WMR
02-02-2012, 03:23 AM
http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/37/b/happy.gif

I'd kill for Jones and Liggins to come back. If all 3 decided to it'd be incredible. It's just a little depressing because of the fact that other schools have been able to return their studs.

Wait, wut?

WMR
02-02-2012, 07:16 AM
The next great UK big man....

Nerlens Noel - The Best Defensive Player in the Country - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggE9Xaw6n8)

Classified to 2012 yesterday.

cumberlandreds
02-02-2012, 09:07 AM
That's great news about Noel. If UK gets him and Muhammed they will no doubt have another number 1 recruiting class.

Sea Ray
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM

I'd chime in and say that the Lady Vols will kick your butt in a couple weeks but that'd mean that I give "hoot" about women's athletics. The fact that you obviously do is your problem

WMR
02-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I'd chime in and say that the Lady Vols will kick your butt in a couple weeks but that'd mean that I give "hoot" about women's athletics. The fact that you obviously do is your problem

You guys are the women's bball school, not us.

It's okay, I'd be a bit cantankerous now too if I was a Eww T fan.

ervinsm84
02-02-2012, 02:16 PM
The next great UK big man....

Nerlens Noel - The Best Defensive Player in the Country - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggE9Xaw6n8)

Classified to 2012 yesterday.

Normally its hard to tell much from highlight videos, but he looks like a complete freak athletically. Plus it looked like he tries to dunk any and everything around the rim which is great for someone that big, he finished with both hands around the rim on back to the basket moves, and a decent # of his blocks were when he was guarding the man with the ball which is a lot harder to do and more valuable defensively than blocks when helping bc then hes not taking himself out of rebounding position when he left his man to contest/block the shot. I think Anthony Davis may have more blocks this year when he was the primary defender than just about any other guy I've ever seen in college.

Only nitpick, and this is the definition of nitpicking, is a guy like him should pretty much never ever try to take a charge, but it still shows that hes not afraid of contact, probably has a decent understanding of defensive positioning/ rotations, and is willing to do team oriented dirty work type things which is a massive plus for highly rated recruits that could have a bit of diva in them.

Useless rant, but he even used his left hand on a lot of the blocked shots vs right handed players, which was refreshing. Still blows my mind that a lot of guys still go up with their dominant hand no matter what to block a shot. If youre an on the ball defender vs a right handed shooter, use the left hand to block/contest. Reverse it for left handed shooters. Reach is at least one inch or more higher and its less distance for the defenders hand to travel so its quicker. When as help defender, it doesnt matter much.

TLDR CLIFFS:
Freak Athletically
I'm Sold

WMR
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
The block he makes at 2:10 is one of the best blocks I have ever seen, at any level.

That little guard was gonna bring the house down and Noel just blocked the hell out of him.

jmac
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Just reading on another site regarding the "mass exodus" off this year's team after the season. We lose Miller (he has been a pleasure to watch mature) and Vargas.
Out of the others...who does everyone think will leave early ?
Myself, I can see Davis obviously and MKG.
Jones probably. I can kind of see Lamb coming back and it would be in Teague's best interest to come back for another year. To me, the only one ready to step in and make an impact would be Davis and he would get banged around more than the last 2 games.
Also, I was telling a buddy,the way Cal has got these guys playing unselfish and not for stats and having fun, if they suffered a Final Four loss or Championship loss, it wouldnt totally shock me if most of them said "hey ...let's go back and win it next year ! " :D

jmac
02-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Here is an interview I read with Brandon Knight :

NEW YORK — Brandon Knight admits he wonders what it would be like to still be playing for Kentucky and getting the chance to lob alley-oop passes to freshman sensation Anthony Davis.

“Of course , of course, I would think about that,” Knight told SNY.tv before shooting 3-for-8 for nine points with one assist as the Detroit Pistons lost their sixth straight, 113-86, to the Knicks Tuesday at Madison Square Garden.

“They’re doing great this year so congratulations to them. I feel we’d be doing even better if I was there.”

While Knight’s old team is 22-1 and ranked No. 1 in the nation, his current team is 4-19 and owns the second-worst record in the NBA.

He has already lost more games in his rookie season with the Pistons than he did in his last two years — one at Kentucky and one at Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Pine Crest — combined.

“I mean, you just try to find a positive in everything,” Knight said. “You know that we’re a team that’s rebuilding so you just try to find a positive and not try to focus on losing. You don’t like losing. But through it all, as long as you’re taking strides to get better, which I see our team doing, I’m fine, as long as we’re pushing to become a different team.”

WVRed
02-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Just reading on another site regarding the "mass exodus" off this year's team after the season. We lose Miller (he has been a pleasure to watch mature) and Vargas.
Out of the others...who does everyone think will leave early ?
Myself, I can see Davis obviously and MKG.
Jones probably. I can kind of see Lamb coming back and it would be in Teague's best interest to come back for another year. To me, the only one ready to step in and make an impact would be Davis and he would get banged around more than the last 2 games.
Also, I was telling a buddy,the way Cal has got these guys playing unselfish and not for stats and having fun, if they suffered a Final Four loss or Championship loss, it wouldnt totally shock me if most of them said "hey ...let's go back and win it next year ! " :D

Too early to tell. This time last year everybody had Knight penciled in to come back. I think once SEC tournament time rolls around Teague will start turning some heads. Maybe not as highly regarded as Knight or Wall, but he could solidify his draft status and being tutored by Cal gives him a few more brownie points.

Scrap Irony
02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
That's great news about Noel. If UK gets him and Muhammed they will no doubt have another number 1 recruiting class.

From a reporter friend, it looks like both are very possible at this point.

Too, for what it's worth, my friend isn't all that sure whether Kidd-Gilchrist will go pro after this year. He's supposedly having the time of his life and, while he may go in the lottery, MKG wants top three.

WVRed
02-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Both Florida and Vandy have all the requirements to beat Kentucky, no matter where they might play.

1) Both teams have multiple players that can shoot from long distance. (Not just threes, but long threes.) This stretches the defense and allows for easier drives to the hoop, as the middle of the lane gets less clogged with well-balanced shooters. No UK opponent shoots better than Vandy-- or Florida, for that matter. Both have at least three guys on the court at all time that can shoot from 25 for a decent percentage.

2) Both teams have a tough rebounder and scorer underneath that can play physical. The best bet for other teams is still to rough up Davis. Both Florida and Vandy have that guy. They could very well negate Davis' numbers and perhaps get him in foul trouble. Kentucky is a completely different team without Davis-- they are inherently beatable.

3. Both play tight defense, daring you to drive, then play very good help defense in taking charges. Both Donovan and Stalllings like charges, chart them, and focus on them. (Unlike Kentucky, who looks for blocks.) This may get four or give Kentucky players in foul trouble.

IMO, Kentucky is likely to lose at least one more game, perhaps three. (Mississippi State also looks like a team that could beat UK.)

IMO, it comes down to coaching, but I'll look at both teams individually:

Florida: The Gators have a tendency to fall in love with the three. They have players that can slash and I think Bradley Beal and Kenny Boynton would give Kentucky problems, but if given an option, Florida will opt for three's over slashing and pounding it inside. Florida did this in the SEC championship game and Kentucky dominated the entire game by just running their offense and selecting the opportunities.

Vanderbilt: Vandy is the opposite of Florida. If you put defenders on the outside and lock down the perimeter, it forces Vandy to beat you with Festus Ezeli. Harrellson neutralized him last year, and if Davis could hold his own, I'd rather force Vandy to beat UK inside than let Jenkins or Taylor get hot from deep.

Mississippi State worries me the most. Sidney and Moultrie can pound away inside against Davis and Jones and its a road game that will be the most hostile environment UK will have faced outside of Bloomington, especially if UK is still no 1. I think it would take a hot shooting game by the Cats and hoping for a favorable whistle for UK to come away with a win in Starkville.

dabvu2498
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Vanderbilt: Vandy is the opposite of Florida. If you put defenders on the outside and lock down the perimeter, it forces Vandy to beat you with Festus Ezeli. Harrellson neutralized him last year,

Really? Festus had 14-7 in Nashville (and Steve T had 12 more) and 22-13 in Lexington.

That said, Davis is not Josh Harrellson. And Festus isn't nearly the player he was last year before the injury.

WMR
02-03-2012, 06:53 AM
I want Noel more than I want even Shabazz. He fills the most glaring potential hole on next year's roster and will do so in dazzling fashion.

WVRed
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Really? Festus had 14-7 in Nashville (and Steve T had 12 more) and 22-13 in Lexington.

That said, Davis is not Josh Harrellson. And Festus isn't nearly the player he was last year before the injury.

Maybe neutralized wasn't the best word. The Lexington game was pretty telling though. Ezeli had a monster game but by feeding the ball inside to Ezeli, it took possessions away from Jenkins and Taylor. Ezeli had the big night but Kentucky came away with the win.

The key was allowing Harrellson to work alone and Davis will be the same way. If UK double teams inside, then Vandy kicks back out for an open three.

It's the same strategy that beat Ohio State last year. Let Sullinger get his points while keeping the ball out of the hands of Buford and Diebler.

jmac
02-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I want Noel more than I want even Shabazz. He fills the most glaring potential hole on next year's roster and will do so in dazzling fashion.

Agree 100 %. I will add though I think Davis has spoiled us. He plays so mature as far as the way he conducts himself and very very seldom gets into foul trouble. While Noel may be a great talent, it is hard to fathom him making the impact Davis has right away but you never know. ;)

jmac
02-04-2012, 12:50 AM
From a reporter friend, it looks like both are very possible at this point.

Too, for what it's worth, my friend isn't all that sure whether Kidd-Gilchrist will go pro after this year. He's supposedly having the time of his life and, while he may go in the lottery, MKG wants top three.

MKG just seems like a kid who does love the college game. Might not be a bad idea working on his jump shot a little more as well. I would take a sophmore year from him.

WMR
02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Someone needs to interview Kevin Stallings...

how is it possible that his team lost to Florida when Florida had just played on Thursday?!?!?!

There needs to be an investigation.

dabvu2498
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Someone needs to interview Kevin Stallings...

how is it possible that his team lost to Florida when Florida had just played on Thursday?!?!?!

There needs to be an investigation.

They're not very good.

dabvu2498
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I think every team Darrin Horn had at WKU were all better than the one he has at USC.

ervinsm84
02-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Didnt get to see the game, but checked the box score. How is it possible to win by 34 on the road when the opponent makes 9-20 from 3? That's beyond scary, even if South Carolina isn't any good.

dabvu2498
02-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Didnt get to see the game, but checked the box score. How is it possible to win by 34 on the road when the opponent makes 9-20 from 3? That's beyond scary, even if South Carolina isn't any good.

UK faced tougher defense in the pregame lay-up line.

WVRed
02-04-2012, 11:51 PM
UK faced tougher defense in the pregame lay-up line.

Pretty much sums it up. Jones and Davis scored at will on the inside. South Carolina hit a ton of three's but Davis closed off the inside and South Carolina's defense was absolutely abysmal.

traderumor
02-05-2012, 11:34 PM
UK looks like they should win the NC game by 20 points based on talent alone--but they most likely won't. Some team will actually be able to play interior defense and they'll have to hit something other than a dunk. All the flying and alley oops can be intimidating, which I thought South Carolina players might just ask for autographs, they seemed so in awe.

WMR
02-06-2012, 12:10 AM
UK looks like they should win the NC game by 20 points based on talent alone--but they most likely won't. Some team will actually be able to play interior defense and they'll have to hit something other than a dunk. All the flying and alley oops can be intimidating, which I thought South Carolina players might just ask for autographs, they seemed so in awe.

Is that what Ohio State is gon do? How did those Buckeyes do against South Carolina?

Kentucky vs Ohio State 2011 ncaa tournament - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TLnW8tcQLA)

Big Tymers - Still Fly - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I)

Me, personally? I would love to whip OSU again in the NCAA tournament. :)

WVRed
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM

Kentucky played a cupcake SEC scheudle early on. Now they are getting into the upper echelon of SEC play, starting with Florida on Tuesday. Florida, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State have the big men in SEC play to combat Davis.

Kentucky's offense is based around the dribble drive, which involves numerous penetration maneuvers and kickouts. South Carolina's defense allowed for Kentucky to pound them inside, but this is a team that can beat you in more ways than just dunking the ball. Doron Lamb had 18 points, including three 3's. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has a motor that I haven't seen on any player that has played at UK and is a game-changer on defense.

What's scarier about Kentucky though isn't their offense but their defense. For a team loaded with freshmen, Kentucky is the best defensive team in the nation right now. Anthony Davis alone has more blocks by himself than a handful of Division 1 teams. Before the South Carolina game, UK had held their last three opponents to below 50 points.

I'm not going to predict Kentucky to win a national championship, but I will say this is John Calipari's best shot at doing so. He had chances at UMass and Memphis but this is the best collection of talent assembled at any of his stops and IMO the second most talented team in UK history behind the 96 team. If he doesn't do it this season, he may still get top recruits, but the pressure will start to mount.

WMR
02-06-2012, 12:28 AM
I want to beat Ohio State and North Carolina again pretty bad.

Greatest program in college basketball history deserves to beat the best.

WMR
02-07-2012, 07:50 PM
BIG game tonight.

WVRed
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
BIG game tonight.

After watching this game tonight, I think this answered if Kentucky can win without lobbing it in for dunks. They've done it in this game, but have also done it from deep as well.

Time for everybody to fess up, who had Kentucky winning by 20 tonight? I sure didn't.

Scrap Irony
02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
That was dominating. By far, the best team in the country right now, as Florida has a very good team who played both Syracuse and Ohio State (the other two dominant teams in the country so far this year) within just a few points.

I do agree with Jimmy Dykes that a team that presses could make it interesting against Kentucky. I also continue to think that Vandy could very well beat Kentucky this weekend. (As could MSU in Starkville later this month.)

Quick question: who would you rather have, Kantucky fans-- John Wall or Anthony Davis? Demarcus Cousins or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? Patrick Patterson or Terrance Jones?

Stray
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Such an entertaining team. If I see they're on TV I make it a point to watch haha.

WVRed
02-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Quick question: who would you rather have, Kantucky fans-- John Wall or Anthony Davis? Demarcus Cousins or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? Patrick Patterson or Terrance Jones?

I saw something this week that was a comparison between the two teams. I agree with most of the analysis:

C: Davis vs Cousins.

I would give this to Davis, but by a slight edge. DeMarcus was a beast in his own right when he was here, but Davis changes the game in so many ways on the inside.

PF: Jones vs Patterson.

This is even IMO. Patterson was the epitome of the word "Team Player" and sacrificed for the good of the team. Jones doesn't have Patterson's leadership, but his size and ability to score make him a mismatch for anybody.

SF: MKG vs Miller.

MKG, not even close. Miller's game has elevated so much though since his sophomore season, but MKG is a future NBA star.

SG: Lamb vs Bledsoe.

I would take Lamb here, although its close. Lamb has improved his ballhandling and Bledsoe was basically a second PG. What gives Lamb the edge is his shooting ability.

PG: Wall vs Teague

This one goes to Wall, not even close. Teague has made strides lately, but Wall is a once in a lifetime type of PG.

Bench: 2010 team. Had a five star center coming off the bench and two starters from the previous years team coming off the bench as seniors. This years team has someone who has started the past two years and a freshman forward who is still trying to figure out his role going forward.

Overall: I would take this years team over 2010. Depth is a concern, but this years team has the shooting that the 2010 team didn't.

WMR
02-08-2012, 05:31 AM
I'll never predict a NC, but man this team is looking good right now.

I think Anthony Davis is the overall most dominating player in the country.

He showed a little midrange floater tonight. His game is just going to expand and expand over time.

cumberlandreds
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
The way they are dominating the SEC to this point is very 96 like. I won't compare the 96 team with this one yet. But if they continue on like this it may be a valid comparison. The games at Vandy,Miss State and Florida will really show what this team is made of. All tough places to play against a quality team.

traderumor
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Warning sign as you climb up Everest--Beware the February Peak. Many a team has hit in thinking that they're at the top, then start going back down the mountain :p

WVRed
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
The way they are dominating the SEC to this point is very 96 like. I won't compare the 96 team with this one yet. But if they continue on like this it may be a valid comparison. The games at Vandy,Miss State and Florida will really show what this team is made of. All tough places to play against a quality team.

I refuse to compare this team to the 96 team, even if this years team wins it all. Individually maybe, but there's just so many elements to consider.

The 96 team had more leadership at the top level. Delk, Pope, and McCarty were seniors. Derek Anderson, Anthony Epps, and Jeff Sheppard were juniors. The youngest players on the team were Antoine Walker as a sophomore and Ron Mercer as a freshman. This team has one senior who comes off the bench to complement three freshmen and two sophomores.

The 96 team was so deep that one of the players on that team who could have started for any team in the SEC ended up redshirting 5 games into the season. Nazr Mohammed, who was one of the best big men for Kentucky over the decade, was essentially the 10th man as a freshman.

WVRed
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Warning sign as you climb up Everest--Beware the February Peak. Many a team has hit in thinking that they're at the top, then start going back down the mountain :p

Let's wait and see how the rest of the month goes. Saturday will be a pretty telling game at Vanderbilt. Two weeks from now will be the real test as UK finishes the season at Mississippi State, back home at Rupp for senior night against Vanderbilt, then at Florida before SEC tournament play starts.

I remember reading somewhere that Kentucky and Ohio State had the easiest schedules in January but the tougher games in February. I think you guys still have two dates left with Michigan State, so we both have the "February Peak" to consider.

I'm pulling for Kentucky to lose a game before the NCAA tournament starts, even if its in the SEC tournament. With a young team, I'd rather get a conference loss out of the way early and get them refocused than see them hit a brick wall in March.

cumberlandreds
02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Let's wait and see how the rest of the month goes. Saturday will be a pretty telling game at Vanderbilt. Two weeks from now will be the real test as UK finishes the season at Mississippi State, back home at Rupp for senior night against Vanderbilt, then at Florida before SEC tournament play starts.

I remember reading somewhere that Kentucky and Ohio State had the easiest schedules in January but the tougher games in February. I think you guys still have two dates left with Michigan State, so we both have the "February Peak" to consider.

I'm pulling for Kentucky to lose a game before the NCAA tournament starts, even if its in the SEC tournament. With a young team, I'd rather get a conference loss out of the way early and get them refocused than see them hit a brick wall in March.

I'm never pulling for UK to lose any game period. I have the theory that any loss has the potential for the team to lose confidence. Also a loss may destroy momentum and never be able to regain it. Losing is a funny thing. Sometimes it doesn't matter but many times it does. I would rather not suffer a loss just for the sake of losing because you just never know what road that will lead you.

Hoosier Red
02-08-2012, 12:44 PM

I agree with this. It always drives me crazy to hear announcers in the 2nd half of the month say, "And they're getting hot at just the right time." I keep thinking to myself, "No they're not, they're getting hot a month too early."

Stray
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
From the 7 guys they play it's what, 4 freshman, 2 sophmores, and a senior? I don't think it's really possible for a team that young to peak a little over halfway through a season. There's no reason to think they're not just progressively getting better as the year goes on.

dabvu2498
02-08-2012, 02:30 PM
From the 7 guys they play it's what, 4 freshman, 2 sophmores, and a senior? I don't think it's really possible for a team that young to peak a little over halfway through a season. There's no reason to think they're not just progressively getting better as the year goes on.

Actually, I think the fact that there are only 7 guys that play much would be the reason they could possibly peak early.

That said, I think there might only be 8-10 teams in the country who can get within 10 point of UK on any given day on a neutral court. And maybe on 2-3 who could actually beat them.

Stray
02-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Actually, I think the fact that there are only 7 guys that play much would be the reason they could possibly peak early.

That said, I think there might only be 8-10 teams in the country who can get within 10 point of UK on any given day on a neutral court. And maybe on 2-3 who could actually beat them.

I dunno, I would disagree. When I watch them play I see a lot of super talented young players who aren't even remotely close to their ceiling. The potential is there for a couple of them to be NBA superstars. Obviously that isn't gonna all happen at UK, but there's no reason to think they're not going to keep getting better. And that point guard they have seems to get better with each passing game.

bucksfan2
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM

This is the reason I don't see them winning it all. It is very difficult to win it all with freshmen. Its tought to keep that consistancy going over the course of 6 (5) do or die games. I also wonder if the down SEC is going to hurt UK when they get deep into the tournament.

As of right now I think there are a handful of teams (UK, UNC, OSU, Syracuse) who can win it all. I just think UK's youth will hurt them more than the other teams. That said the tournament is all about matchups, officiating, and avoiding the upset. A quick whistle putting a key player on the bench early can change the whole dynamic of the game.

Stray
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
This is the reason I don't see them winning it all. It is very difficult to win it all with freshmen. Its tought to keep that consistancy going over the course of 6 (5) do or die games. I also wonder if the down SEC is going to hurt UK when they get deep into the tournament.

As of right now I think there are a handful of teams (UK, UNC, OSU, Syracuse) who can win it all. I just think UK's youth will hurt them more than the other teams. That said the tournament is all about matchups, officiating, and avoiding the upset. A quick whistle putting a key player on the bench early can change the whole dynamic of the game.

I think the freshman thing is blown out of proportion. It's an issue when you have young guys who don't execute, can't mesh with teammates, or physically aren't ready for a high level of basketball. Those are problems Kentucky doesn't appear to have.

The tournament is a crapshoot though, and I definitely agree on it all being about matchups/officiating...even more so with Kentucky since they aren't deep.

bucksfan2
02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I think the freshman thing is blown out of proportion. It's an issue when you have young guys who don't execute, can't mesh with teammates, or physically aren't ready for a high level of basketball. Those are problems Kentucky doesn't appear to have.

The tournament is a crapshoot though, and I definitely agree on it all being about matchups/officiating...even more so with Kentucky since they aren't deep.

Freshmen are freshmen anyway you spin it. Its not the meshing part that I don't like, its that they have never experienced the tournament. Its that no matter how you spin it they are freshmen. Its hard not to panick when you go down late in a tournament game. You just can't replicate that type of experience.

IMO last year's tournament is a prefect example of a perfect story for my Buckeyes. They undoubtably the best team heading into the tournament, got screwed over by their own AD and put into the group of death. They had freshmen at two key positions (Guard and post presence) and lost to UK. They suffered from youth and a bad draw more than anything else.

My theory may be wrong, but I think you don't win the tournament with freshmen.

WMR
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Four of UK's top eight players have Final Four experience.

I would take that along with a handful of the absolute best freshmen in America over a less talented team with just Sweet Sixteen experience.

Another solid check in UK's favor is that their experienced players are also their prime perimeter threats.

Teague is the only one I worry about. Luckily, our backup PG is one of those kids with FF experience.

gonelong
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Freshmen are freshmen anyway you spin it. Its not the meshing part that I don't like, its that they have never experienced the tournament. Its that no matter how you spin it they are freshmen. Its hard not to panick when you go down late in a tournament game. You just can't replicate that type of experience.

They are not the freshman of 20 or 30 or 40 years ago though. Most of them have played many more games by the time they arrive on campus and are more tightly focused on just that sport than in days gone by.

Camps, summer leagues, individual instructions, etc. are much more prevelant than in years past. Not to mention, there are not as many dominating seniors and juniors to exploit the Freshman either, they are in the NBA.

GL

WVRed
02-08-2012, 10:52 PM
IMO last year's tournament is a prefect example of a perfect story for my Buckeyes. They undoubtably the best team heading into the tournament, got screwed over by their own AD and put into the group of death. They had freshmen at two key positions (Guard and post presence) and lost to UK. They suffered from youth and a bad draw more than anything else.

My theory may be wrong, but I think you don't win the tournament with freshmen.

On the other hand, you had a team four years prior that ran the table all the way to the championship game that featured predominantly freshmen. Had it not been for one of the best back to back performances by Florida in the NCAA tournament, Ohio State would have likely won the NCAA tournament that year with a class of Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Daquean Cook, and David Lighty, among others.

I say this because I see a lot of similarities between that Ohio State team and this Kentucky team. Anthony Davis is the best post player prospect to come out since Greg Oden, and even though they play different positions, MKG has the same impact on the floor that Mike Conley did.

I do agree with one thing, and I've said this on a UK board that I post on:

The NCAA will do no favors for Kentucky.

Two years ago we got matched up with a 2 seed that should have been a number one and last year we got a 4 seed in the bracket of death. Even if we get the number one overall seed, the NCAA will give us a death sentence and give whoever wins the ACC a cakewalk.

Something else I find interesting though, you pointed out Ohio State had youth at key positions in PG and post presence. They were knocked off by a team that started a freshman PG and had two other key freshmen in the rotation.

cumberlandreds
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
They are not the freshman of 20 or 30 or 40 years ago though. Most of them have played many more games by the time they arrive on campus and are more tightly focused on just that sport than in days gone by.

Camps, summer leagues, individual instructions, etc. are much more prevelant than in years past. Not to mention, there are not as many dominating seniors and juniors to exploit the Freshman either, they are in the NBA.

GL

You hit the nail on the head. The AAU summer leagues have totally changed players. They play each other for years and are not intimidated at all of the college environment. Freshman today play like Juniors of 30 or 40 years ago. Back in the 70's and 80's it was rare to see a freshman come in and play significant minutes. Now its no problem.

Hoosier Red
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
On the other hand, you had a team four years prior that ran the table all the way to the championship game that featured predominantly freshmen. Had it not been for one of the best back to back performances by Florida in the NCAA tournament, Ohio State would have likely won the NCAA tournament that year with a class of Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Daquean Cook, and David Lighty, among others.

I say this because I see a lot of similarities between that Ohio State team and this Kentucky team. Anthony Davis is the best post player prospect to come out since Greg Oden, and even though they play different positions, MKG has the same impact on the floor that Mike Conley did.

I do agree with one thing, and I've said this on a UK board that I post on:

The NCAA will do no favors for Kentucky.

Two years ago we got matched up with a 2 seed that should have been a number one and last year we got a 4 seed in the bracket of death. Even if we get the number one overall seed, the NCAA will give us a death sentence and give whoever wins the ACC a cakewalk.

Something else I find interesting though, you pointed out Ohio State had youth at key positions in PG and post presence. They were knocked off by a team that started a freshman PG and had two other key freshmen in the rotation.

The NCAA does no favors for anyone, except for maybe Duke. ;)

jmac
02-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Myself and a friend of mine was talking yesterday and he said something like "Now watch UNC lose a couple of games and get a 2 seed in our region ". Of course they lost last night and have to play at Duke.

WVRed
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
The NCAA does no favors for anyone, except for maybe Duke. ;)

Duke got a cakewalk bracket as the 4th no 1 seed two years ago and got one last year. Pitt also got a favorable bracket last year but lost to Butler in the second round.

Myself and a friend of mine was talking yesterday and he said something like "Now watch UNC lose a couple of games and get a 2 seed in our region ". Of course they lost last night and have to play at Duke.

I posted this in the other thread, but UNC doesn't worry me, especially if you watched the Duke game last night. Kentucky has improved as the season has went on and North Carolina has kinda regressed.

Outside of Kentucky beating themselves, there are only two teams I think that can pull it off. Ohio State and Syracuse.

Craft scares me on defense matched up on Teague and Sullinger will be the best big Davis will face on the college level if they meet up (finesse vs power). If they get into their offense and disrupt ours, they could pull it off.

Syracuse plays a 2-3 zone and like Ohio State can throw the bigs at Kentucky. A zone is tricky because Kentucky can get hot from three and neutralize it, or if the shots aren't falling gives Syracuse a shot to win.

Those are the only two teams I see. There are others that can keep it close on a neutral court, but those are the two that scare me.

New York Red
02-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Syracuse won a national championship with two freshmen playing a huge role (Melo and McNamara). UK has three freshmen who play big roles (two of whom are almost guaranteed to be named all-americans). UK also has a Senior and two Sophomores who played big roles in last year's NCAA tournament run. All five of UK's NCAA tournament games last year were single-digit games, with three of them being decided by three points or less. To say UK doesn't have experience in pressure-packed tournament games is just not true.

Do we have as much experience as some other schools? No we don't. But how many teams have the tourney experience plus the talent to beat UK? Very few. Two of them, UNC and Kansas, we've already beaten this year. Winning a national championship involves a lot of factors, with luck being one of them. UK may or may not win #8 this year, but if we don't it won't be because we have three freshmen playing major roles.

jmac
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Duke got a cakewalk bracket as the 4th no 1 seed two years ago and got one last year. Pitt also got a favorable bracket last year but lost to Butler in the second round.

I posted this in the other thread, but UNC doesn't worry me, especially if you watched the Duke game last night. Kentucky has improved as the season has went on and North Carolina has kinda regressed.

Outside of Kentucky beating themselves, there are only two teams I think that can pull it off. Ohio State and Syracuse.

Craft scares me on defense matched up on Teague and Sullinger will be the best big Davis will face on the college level if they meet up (finesse vs power). If they get into their offense and disrupt ours, they could pull it off.

Syracuse plays a 2-3 zone and like Ohio State can throw the bigs at Kentucky. A zone is tricky because Kentucky can get hot from three and neutralize it, or if the shots aren't falling gives Syracuse a shot to win.

Those are the only two teams I see. There are others that can keep it close on a neutral court, but those are the two that scare me.
My personal opinion is UNC "when they come to play", is the second best team in the country behind UK. For some reason, Williams hasnt had this team clicking on all cylinders very often. Yet it wouldnt surprise me to see them go in and beat Duke at Cameron.
I realize teams rise and fall in the rankings with every win and loss but I still feel like after UK, the next 2 best teams are OSU and UNC and a Championship game with either would be an excellent game.
I am just not that sold on Syracuse yet. They havent played many tough teams on the road and when they did, lost to ND and beat Cincy by 7.The Big East has been strange this season. Pitt cant beat anybody and then gets on a winning steak before losing one they was "supposed" to win. ND wins at WVU. Louisville gets blown out by Providence etc. With results like this, it's hard for me to judge exactly how good Syracuse is in comparison to UK and the others.

WVRed
02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
My personal opinion is UNC "when they come to play", is the second best team in the country behind UK. For some reason, Williams hasnt had this team clicking on all cylinders very often. Yet it wouldnt surprise me to see them go in and beat Duke at Cameron.
I realize teams rise and fall in the rankings with every win and loss but I still feel like after UK, the next 2 best teams are OSU and UNC and a Championship game with either would be an excellent game.
I am just not that sold on Syracuse yet. They havent played many tough teams on the road and when they did, lost to ND and beat Cincy by 7.The Big East has been strange this season. Pitt cant beat anybody and then gets on a winning steak before losing one they was "supposed" to win. ND wins at WVU. Louisville gets blown out by Providence etc. With results like this, it's hard for me to judge exactly how good Syracuse is in comparison to UK and the others.

One thing is for sure, Kentucky has seen a zone (plenty, actually) this season. I don't think Syracuse has seen a team with the speed that UK has to offer.

Syracuse is also a team that tends to flame out, and if they advance far in the Big East Tournament, they could be one of the first teams out.

That being said though, they have the mix of veteran leadership (which means everything or nothing, depending on who you talk to), and depth. The depth factor scares me against Kentucky, who only runs 7 deep.

jmac
02-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Did anyone see a clip of Digger telling "all" the UK fans in Nashville to basically keep quiet for Gameday today ? I didnt post the link cause one of the fans yelled an expletive. Just curious if anyone seen or heard about it. UK fans had the 3rd balcony in blue.

dabvu2498
02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Get ready to see a lot more zone.

WVRed
02-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Did anyone see a clip of Digger telling "all" the UK fans in Nashville to basically keep quiet for Gameday today ? I didnt post the link cause one of the fans yelled an expletive. Just curious if anyone seen or heard about it. UK fans had the 3rd balcony in blue.

Yep, and as soon as it happened fans broke out in "Go Big Blue" chants.

If you want to do something about it and you're Vandy, its simple. Get YOUR fans into the seats and keep Kentucky's out. Indiana did a pretty good job of that when we played there in Bloomington (and beating up one of our Playboy models. :D).

Get ready to see a lot more zone.

Been there, seen that. It's probably the only thing that will keep games close, but if Kentucky is hitting, it won't matter.

WMR
02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
I wonder if Stallings knows who our freshmen are now?

:lol:

The Operator
02-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Did anyone see a clip of Digger telling "all" the UK fans in Nashville to basically keep quiet for Gameday today ? I didnt post the link cause one of the fans yelled an expletive. Just curious if anyone seen or heard about it. UK fans had the 3rd balcony in blue.I think Digger is gonna feel the wrath of Big Blue Nation for quite a while after this. What a tool.

"Don't ruin this for College GameDay". Come off of it, Digger. I wonder if this has anything to do with his 4-12 record coaching against UK? :D

dabvu2498
02-12-2012, 02:15 AM
I wonder if Stallings knows who our freshmen are now?

:lol:

Why does the UK fan base feel the need to act like it has a giant chip on it's shoulder? Did Stallings not give enough credit this week?

Vanderbilt Coach Kevin Stallings offered a sobering response to a question about facing No. 1 Kentucky.
“I don’t know if you ever look forward to playing a team as good as they are,” he said Thursday. “But we’re here. I know our guys will be excited. Our fans will be excited.
“And I’ll act like I’m excited if that will make everybody feel better. But we have a tall challenge.”

Vandy Coach Kevin Stallings noted the familiarity his team has for Kentucky’s style. And vice versa.
“At this stage, there aren’t any surprises,” he said Thursday. “Knowing what to expect is not an issue. It’s being effective against them that’s the difficult part.”

You guys have a great team and they seem like good, classy kids who play hard and play together. That should be enough.

WVRed
02-13-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IBh6yL8Mccw

In response to Stallings, I think WMR is referring to his comments about Kentucky not getting a Thursday-Saturday draw (among others). Just because it wasn't this past week doesn't mean Stallings hadn't given UK serious bulletin board material in the past. Between Stallings and Rick Stansbury, I don't know who is the worst.

WVRed
02-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Can't get the video to play, but its an up-close shot of Digger addressing the crowd.

dabvu2498
02-13-2012, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IBh6yL8Mccw

In response to Stallings, I think WMR is referring to his comments about Kentucky not getting a Thursday-Saturday draw (among others). Just because it wasn't this past week doesn't mean Stallings hadn't given UK serious bulletin board material in the past. Between Stallings and Rick Stansbury, I don't know who is the worst.

Not only did they not get a Thursday-Saturday draw, they get to play 4 teams on the back end of that draw.

Is Stallings' (and Donovan's) point about scheduling not valid?

WVRed
02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Not only did they not get a Thursday-Saturday draw, they get to play 4 teams on the back end of that draw.

Is Stallings' (and Donovan's) point about scheduling not valid?

Let me ask you this, if Stallings and Donovan had a top five team in the nation that brought ratings to the networks and received a favorable schedule because of it, do you think they would be complaining?

Case in point: Kentucky does play a Thursday game this year, but because they are playing Florida for Senior Day and its a rivalry game, CBS picked it up and the game was moved to Sunday.

I liked Cal's response myself when asked about Stallings comments: "Does Vandy still have the benches on the end baselines? Doesn't that create an unfair advantage?"

dabvu2498
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I liked Cal's response myself when asked about Stallings comments: "Does Vandy still have the benches on the end baselines? Doesn't that create an unfair advantage?"

Uhhhhhhhh... They were told to put the benches there by the Conference after Memorial opened. Largely at the request of Adolph Rupp. He didn't want to have to climb up and down from the front row of stands to coach his team.

To your other comment, you admit that UK receives preferential treatment from the schedule makers? I mean, with them being such a boon for the conference as you say, shouldn't the SEC want them on the Thursday night ESPN game more than a team like Ole Miss???

WVRed
02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Uhhhhhhhh... They were told to put the benches there by the Conference after Memorial opened. Largely at the request of Adolph Rupp. He didn't want to have to climb up and down from the front row of stands to coach his team.

To your other comment, you admit that UK receives preferential treatment from the schedule makers? I mean, with them being such a boon for the conference as you say, shouldn't the SEC want them on the Thursday night ESPN game more than a team like Ole Miss???

I don't know much about scheduling, but usually Tuesday and Wednesday nights are basketball nights.

With ESPN, I would venture to say they work in conjunction with their sister networks (ABC). Factor in a lot of the sitcoms air on Thursday nights, most of the ratings will be down anyways.

I'm not saying UK fans would give up UK to watch The Big Bang Theory or the Office, but the mainstream viewers likely would.

Just my guess, don't have a degree in this kind of thing. :p

Scrap Irony
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Kentucky obviously has an advantage in scheduling this year.

Stallings looks bad in complaining, though. It's a built-in excuse, one year after telling anyone who'd listen that it was simply preparing his team for the NCAA.

Bush league.

cumberlandreds
02-13-2012, 02:43 PM

The Super Tuesday SEC game is ESPN biggest rating time for the SEC. So that more than anything that is the reason UK plays the majority of games then and not on Thursdays. They do have a game scheduled for Thursday March 1 against Georgia but CBS intervened and moved the next game to Sunday against Florida. So what can you do? TV rules the schedule.
Stallings has very little complain about with his built in advantage of the benches at home. He needs to look at that before making any complaints about anyone else's schedule.

dabvu2498
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Kentucky obviously has an advantage in scheduling this year.

Stallings looks bad in complaining, though. It's a built-in excuse, one year after telling anyone who'd listen that it was simply preparing his team for the NCAA.

Bush league.

I agree that Stallings shouldn't have complained to the press unless he had already gone the the conference with his gripe.

That said, he's not complaining about Vandy's schedule Heck, they only got stuck with Thurs-Sat once this year.

His gripe was that UK hasn't had a Thurs-Sat IN TWO YEARS and that 4 of their Saturday opponents this year are coming off of Thursday night games.

And FWIW, I don't think it's any conspiracy on the part of the conference to give UK an easy schedule. I think it was lack of dilligence by the schedule makers to provide an equitable schedule.

cumberlandreds
02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
UK's mens basketball practice will be on ESPNU and ESPN3 Wednesday at 3pm. How about that?

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/13/2067559/uk-giving-out-free-tickets-tuesday.html

Sea Ray
02-14-2012, 10:08 AM

I don't follow women's BB a lick but apparently I can sure prognosticate it. The Lady Vols indeed kicked, as you'd like to say, Eww K so bad that your coach said that it ought to have cost them more than one loss:

“It probably should count as more than one loss, but it only counts as one,” Kentucky Coach Matthew Mitchell said

Enjoy your mens BB team. They're very good and look like shoo ins for the Final Four but don't bother screwing up a good thing by bringing up women's sports.

WMR
02-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't follow women's BB a lick but apparently I can sure prognosticate it. The Lady Vols indeed kicked, as you'd like to say, Eww K so bad that your coach said that it ought to have cost them more than one loss:

Enjoy your mens BB team. They're very good and look like shoo ins for the Final Four but don't bother screwing up a good thing by bringing up women's sports.

LOL Sea ray fail ... Told you that you were a womens bball school. I KNEW you wouldn't be able to resist bringing that game up. I bet you had your garbage truck worker convention-colored pom poms on last night.

You should show a little more respect for the only sport at your school that's worth a damn anymore.

Also, what would a ut fan know about enjoying a men's final four?

WMR
02-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Can someone please tell me wdf Peyton Siva is doing here???? :eek:

Peyton Siva actin suspect with the booty grab. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuwhQesRQY&sns=em)

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Sea Ray
02-14-2012, 03:49 PM
LOL Sea ray fail ... Told you that you were a womens bball school. I KNEW you wouldn't be able to resist bringing that game up. I bet you had your garbage truck worker convention-colored pom poms on last night.

I'm surprised you'd make the mistake of bringing up womens BB, but bring it up you did so enjoy the bed you made

Razor Shines
02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm surprised you'd make the mistake of bringing up womens BB, but bring it up you did so enjoy the bed you made

Lol.

Yeah, you enjoy that bed WMR. Arrrrg!

This is the weakest round of trash talking I've read in this thread.

jmac
02-14-2012, 06:02 PM
One thing is for sure, Kentucky has seen a zone (plenty, actually) this season. I don't think Syracuse has seen a team with the speed that UK has to offer.

Syracuse is also a team that tends to flame out, and if they advance far in the Big East Tournament, they could be one of the first teams out.

That being said though, they have the mix of veteran leadership (which means everything or nothing, depending on who you talk to), and depth. The depth factor scares me against Kentucky, who only runs 7 deep.

I hadnt got to see Syracuse much till some of the UConn game and then the second half last night. We all know anyone can beat anyone on a given night in college basketball, but as far as their ranking # 2, I havent been impressed at all by what I have seen in Syracuse. Louisville should be kicking themselves for losing that game. I heard a stat a few minutes ago that Syracuse was 1-20 something outside the paint. Not sure if thats the game or just a half. Nevertheless, their shooting didnt impress me.
Of course if UK plays the Orangemen, they will probably shoot lights out.
My guess is as you said, they could possibly be knocked out early depending on matchups.

dabvu2498
02-14-2012, 11:44 PM
This is the weakest round of trash talking in the history of teh intranets.

Fixed that for you.

WVRed
02-15-2012, 12:27 AM
In other news, Digger released a statement through ESPN, saying that he gives the same lecture at other venues and that he respected Kentucky's fan base and looked forward to their run in the NCAA tournament.

I read KSR (especially since TBK has went downhill), but I really kinda wonder if that website brought a LOT of this on with ESPN and Digger with the Occupy Memorial movement. Granted, UK fans would have shown up, but when Dickie V is giving shoutouts to Matt Jones on national television, you know ESPN is checking to see on these kind of things.

On a side note, I've asked this before, but are there any good UK message boards out there? I've been posting on TBK for awhile but I really think that site is about to bite the dust. Marc has gone AWOL and has posted nothing in the past few months and rumor has it he is trying to open a bar in Bowling Green.

I know there is one that cumberlandreds posts on, just keep forgetting about it.

traderumor
02-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Gonna have to leave work early tomorrow to watch practice on ESPNU :rolleyes:

WMR
02-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Fixed that for you.

Vandy lol.

WMR
02-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Gonna have to leave work early tomorrow to watch practice on ESPNU :rolleyes:

It's funny how you go from thread to thread crapping on other teams but OSU has never lost a game without the refs doing them in...

Guess that Sweet 16 game from last year is still chapping your ass. ;)

dabvu2498
02-15-2012, 04:02 AM
KSR, specifically Drew Fraklin, burned their last bridge with me last week:
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=106876

When in reality, it was those vile Cards fans doing it a year ago:
http://kykernel.com/2010/12/31/uk-spoils-yum-center’s-debut-as-setting-of-the-battle-of-the-bluegrass/

If you're going to be righteous, at least be right.

I'm sure they'll miss the two hits a year I give em. :)

cumberlandreds
02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
In other news, Digger released a statement through ESPN, saying that he gives the same lecture at other venues and that he respected Kentucky's fan base and looked forward to their run in the NCAA tournament.

I read KSR (especially since TBK has went downhill), but I really kinda wonder if that website brought a LOT of this on with ESPN and Digger with the Occupy Memorial movement. Granted, UK fans would have shown up, but when Dickie V is giving shoutouts to Matt Jones on national television, you know ESPN is checking to see on these kind of things.

On a side note, I've asked this before, but are there any good UK message boards out there? I've been posting on TBK for awhile but I really think that site is about to bite the dust. Marc has gone AWOL and has posted nothing in the past few months and rumor has it he is trying to open a bar in Bowling Green.

I know there is one that cumberlandreds posts on, just keep forgetting about it.

It's Wildcatnation.net. We are a small group but most that post a lot are very knowledgeable. I also think we do a good job of keeping the trolls aways too. Come, look and take test drive.

traderumor
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
It's funny how you go from thread to thread crapping on other teams but OSU has never lost a game without the refs doing them in...

Guess that Sweet 16 game from last year is still chapping your ass. ;)
This is a general message board. I read the basketball threads and comment on them when I have something to say. Go figure that I am not as enamored with other fans' teams as they are.

I read and post in the UK and IU thread, haven't touched the UC thread that I recall (maybe I posted something about the fight? don't remember, I'll let you stalk that one out). I guess its ok to be a homer in your team's thread, but don't let any poster from another team come in and give their take on your team.

BTW, the intent was not crapping on UK, it is the ludicrous idea that a college basketball practice is being nationally televised.

Sea Ray
02-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Lol.

Yeah, you enjoy that bed WMR. Arrrrg!

This is the weakest round of trash talking I've read in this thread.

Probably because it's not trash talking. It's just correcting the record. There's no trash talking when it comes to women's BB. Unlike WMR,
I've got too much class for trashtalking anyway. Who was it that brought up the trash talking in this thread anyway?

dabvu2498
02-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Vandy lol.

At least we can agree on some things... We both want to party with this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SAplMhlP2Ok

Scrap Irony
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
BTW, the intent was not crapping on UK, it is the ludicrous idea that a college basketball practice is being nationally televised.

Really? Because I love it. I love seeing the innerworkings of big-time basketball. If they're showing day in the life stuff, I'm hooked. OSU, Murray State, St. Mary's-- whomever it is-- I want to know.

As to this practice, I noticed two things:

1) Calipari speaks in short bursts of code and working as an assistant under him would be really, really hard. This is one quote I wrote down, just because I thought it was funny:

"You... Coach... Coaches... Throw the-- yeah. Yeah. You need to get it there [pointing from halfcourt to a general area] on the-- yeah. Get it. NOW!"
Figure that one out.

2) The interviews at the end of the practice were actually pretty brutal about living the fishbowl life at Kentucky. Anthony Davis said that he sometimes thinks it's not worth it to be as cloistered and in-demand as he is. Kidd-Gilchrist said basically the same thing, calling the fans around him "crazy" (and not in a good way). Wiltjer didn't quite come right out and say anything that negative, but it was certainly an odd way to end the practice. I can't imagine a prospect watching those interviews and thinking, "Yeah! That's where I want to go!"

cumberlandreds
02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I thought the practice was great to watch. I really liked the 4 on 3 drill they did for the 3 point defense. I'm glad these aren't on TV everday or I would never get anything done at home.

traderumor
02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Really? Because I love it. I love seeing the innerworkings of big-time basketball. If they're showing day in the life stuff, I'm hooked. OSU, Murray State, St. Mary's-- whomever it is-- I want to know.

As to this practice, I noticed two things:

1) Calipari speaks in short bursts of code and working as an assistant under him would be really, really hard. This is one quote I wrote down, just because I thought it was funny:

Figure that one out.

2) The interviews at the end of the practice were actually pretty brutal about living the fishbowl life at Kentucky. Anthony Davis said that he sometimes thinks it's not worth it to be as cloistered and in-demand as he is. Kidd-Gilchrist said basically the same thing, calling the fans around him "crazy" (and not in a good way). Wiltjer didn't quite come right out and say anything that negative, but it was certainly an odd way to end the practice. I can't imagine a prospect watching those interviews and thinking, "Yeah! That's where I want to go!"

This is interesting and ironic, isn't it? Turning practice into a "fishbowl" as well.

As to the interest, I like watching a little BP before a Reds game, but I don't want to watch it all the time. Football spring games, fun to watch for a bit, then just a bore. A matter of taste.

WMR
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Probably because it's not trash talking. It's just correcting the record. There's no trash talking when it comes to women's BB. Unlike WMR,
I've got too much class for trashtalking anyway. Who was it that brought up the trash talking in this thread anyway?

Class and Sea Ray.

Is that like oil and vinegar? LOL.

I've seen you attempt to talk plenty trash on this board. Unfortunately for you, UT sucks at every sport now (besides the aforementioned women's bb).

WMR
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
At least we can agree on some things... We both want to party with this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SAplMhlP2Ok

omg dab... lol. Is that Sea Ray?

dabvu2498
02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
"We just need Florida and Georgia to lose..."

WMR
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
"Maybe in 3 years we'll hire Bruce Pearl back..."

I've actually heard/read that lunacy from several Vol fans.

"It was just a barbecue." :lol:

Razor Shines
02-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Class and Sea Ray.

I've seen you attempt to talk plenty trash on this board. Unfortunately for you, UT sucks at every sport now (besides the aforementioned women's bb).

Lol

cumberlandreds
02-17-2012, 09:32 AM

I saw you signed up on WCN. Hope you like it and can post a lot.

Sea Ray
02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Class and Sea Ray.

Being a Bengal, Reds and UT fan in the 21st century doesn't lend itself to trash talking but you overstepped when you extended UK BB success to the women so I was calling you on that. Stick to trash talking on men's BB and you'll do fine. Be happy with that

jmac
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Joe Lunardi’s latest bracketology has UK in a region with Ohio State. Forgetting the won-loss record, I still think the best teams talent wise are UK-UNC-OSU so I would rather see a UK-OSU matchup in Final Four. Of course Lunardi's updates that weekly so it could change and probably will. Just makes for some fun debate.

KoryMac5
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Joe Lunardi’s latest bracketology has UK in a region with Ohio State. Forgetting the won-loss record, I still think the best teams talent wise are UK-UNC-OSU so I would rather see a UK-OSU matchup in Final Four. Of course Lunardi's updates that weekly so it could change and probably will. Just makes for some fun debate.

Wow no mention of Syracuse in the discussion.

jmac
02-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Wow no mention of Syracuse in the discussion.

I havent got to see Syracuse that much. Actually seen them vs ND,UConn and U of L. I'm just not as impressed with them as others seem to be. Maybe I am just seeing them at the wrong times though.

jmac
02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Miller with a nice Blake Griffin first half dunk ! :D

WVRed
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I think I agree with this comment from KSR:

Ole Miss provided the blueprint for a team to beat Kentucky…play extremely physical with the Cats and hope to get Anthony Davis in foul trouble…it worked tonight, and yet the Rebels still lost by 15.

Tuesday night is going to be a dogfight IMO. Mississippi State is desperate and on the bubble. They have the size inside to give Kentucky problems and the perimeter players to keep them honest. Stansbury has no control over his team, but desperate teams tend to do crazy things.

Regardless, this will be the dirtiest game Kentucky has faced outside of LSU this season, and at the end of the game, Stansbury will say its Kentuckys fault.

jmac
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Did anyone see the comments by Stansbury ? I'm sure Cal will make some subtle reference to it as Beckham didnt like it either.
Here is the entire clip including the writer's opinion.

Mississippi State Coach Rick Stansbury took a couple of shots at his former player Twany Beckham today. As reported by the Courier Journal, Stansbury said:

“I saw his stats the other day in SEC play. Did he make one or attempt one shot?”

This was then followed by:

“He’s seeing some pretty good basketball. He’s getting a front-row ticket every night. Yes, sir.”

Twany Beckham didn’t take too kindly to that comment and tweeted (in a response that has now been removed):

“that dude wanna coach where I’m playin at…not worried at all”

I have normally liked Rick Stansbury, but have always thought him to be a bit of a whiner. Regardless of those tendencies, taking shots at former players, even subtle ones, seems completely unnecessary.

I would like to know why a coach feels the need to take shots like that. :nono:

dabvu2498
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Stansbury is an idiot.

Scrap Irony
02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Have a reporter friend who insists Stansbury's the worst coach he's ever dealt with at any level. He insists Stansbury's the most sarcastic and angriest coach he's ever had to talk to.

His bottom three?

Gillespie
Pitino
Stansbury

Joseph
02-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Uh oh.

dabvu2498
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
You guys are going to have to talk to traderumor about Ted Valentine.

The Operator
02-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Whew! That was a scary one. Their resiliency tonight was impressive.

Stray
02-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Darius Miller playing like a senior, he hit some huge buckets late in the 2nd half.

WMR
02-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Doug Shows makes TV Ted look like a certified professional. :eek:

And that's NOT an endorsement of TV Teddy. :eek: :eek:

Shows is an embarrassment to the sport.

5TimeWSChamps
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
What a great win. No idea who can beat this team

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk