04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Let's keep it going! There is no off-season when it comes to UK basketball. :D

WVRed
04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
A good way to get this thread started:

Who is the "impending commitment"?

WMR
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
So tough to say... you would think either Uchebo or Lacey??? Perhaps DeAndre Daniels?

WVRed
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Can't see Daniels since he has scratched Kentucky off the list. Lacey is supposedly going to visit Kansas and there is concern with grades.

I don't know much about Uchebo but he would be a post presence we need.

I think it's somebody for 2012 possibly. Hoping for Shabazz Muhammad.

WMR
04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Can't see Daniels since he has scratched Kentucky off the list. Lacey is supposedly going to visit Kansas and there is concern with grades.

I don't know much about Uchebo but he would be a post presence we need.

I think it's somebody for 2012 possibly. Hoping for Shabazz Muhammad.

Uhh, You need to do some reading my friend, UK is back in play for DD.

LexRedsFan
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Jones and Liggins will be back IMO. Knight's gonzo.

Carolina_Redleg
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd kill for Jones and Liggins to come back. If all 3 decided to it'd be incredible. It's just a little depressing because of the fact that other schools have been able to return their studs.

bucksfan2
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
WMR Buckeye fans (still angry about the Tournament obviously) pointing fingers about one and dones is rich indeed. Shall we start counting the One and Dones from OSU over the past several seasons? Where were all the Buckeye fans whining about One and Dones when they were playing for the National Championship?

My statement earlier about the OSU one and dones is that they were required to attend class because their 2nd quarter grades were due right as the tournament was starting. If they were not attending class they would have been ruled ineligible just prior to the NCAA tournament.

As for OSU's one and dones I don't like it either. The only player that truly was ready to turn pro after his freshman season was Oden. You can teach that kind of size as well as defensive knowledge. Guys like Connely, Cook, Mullins, Kufos all could have benefited from staying.

One and dones along and their class attendance is an issue in college basketball today. If someone enters the draft they don't really have the time the go through all the pre-draft combines, interviews, camps, etc. You would be hard pressed to find any underclassmen that is able to attend class with all that going on.

Revering4Blue
04-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Bob Knight apologizes to Kentucky.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6390170

WMR
04-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Bob Knight apologizes to Kentucky.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6390170

Half-assed "non-apology" apology which is, of course, exactly what I expected from Bob Knight.

Bob, apology not accepted. We know you still loathe Kentucky and don't worry the feelings are reciprocated fully.

http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/indiana.html

Saturday, March 22 1975 - http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/19750322Indiana.html

dabvu2498
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I still think Knight's instructional golf videos are the best! :D

WVRed
05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
The Kentucky Combine was in Lexington the past two days, and from the looks of things:

Brandon Knight is gone. He was getting confrimation from teams to stay in the draft.

Terrence Jones is borderline. I think it comes down to similar to what happened last year with UW-UK. Now its UK-NCAA and to be fair, he can do a lot by coming back and improving his draft stock. He could be 9-12 this year or possibly a top 3 next if he comes back.

Liggins will probably be back. I don't think he can get any team to guarantee to take him late in the first round.

On a side note, I did hear something about other teams wanting to send their players to the Kentucky Combine and Cal said no. I doubt Louisville would have with Terrence Jennings but I would feel bad if Kenneth Faried from Morehead State was turned away by Cal. I would have opened it up to any Kentucky school but Louisville, mainly because Pitino has the resources to do it himself.

TeamSelig
05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
I think Terrence Jones could be CRAZY good next year.

WVRed
05-05-2011, 10:17 PM

He could, but he really has a decision to make.

Right now he is projected to go toward the end of the lottery. By coming back and putting together a consistent season and becoming a top option for this team, he could be a top 5 pick next year. He showed great potential early in the season to do just that, but once SEC play rolled around, he hit a wall.

If he comes back and doesn't improve (doubtful), then he is in the mix with a whole slew of forwards coming out. His stock could really take a hit, especially if he is going up against Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger, and Perry Jones.

Joseph
05-05-2011, 10:58 PM
And the labor situation could be added to that mix as well.

WVRed
05-05-2011, 11:16 PM
And the labor situation could be added to that mix as well.

Was going to include that.

This article is REALLY interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/john-calipari-invites-john-wall-back-to-kentucky-in-case-of-a-lockout/2011/05/05/AFEB8V0F_blog.html

The short version: Cal has offered to former UK players and even Derrick Rose to come to Kentucky to use the facilities. If any of the players decide to re-enroll at UK, they could take the court against the Cats in practice.

Imagine the impact on the court and with recruiting. This is a major selling point for the Cats.

WVRed
05-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Not a surprise, Knight staying in the draft.

WMR
05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Can't fault his decision at all. Thanks for getting us back to the FF, BK.

That shot to beat OSU will live on forever in UK lore...

cumberlandreds
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Can't fault his decision at all. Thanks for getting us back to the FF, BK.

That shot to beat OSU will live on forever in UK lore...

Don't forget the Princeton shot as well. If hadn't have hit that one they may not have made it to the Ohio State game.

WVRed
05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Don't forget the Princeton shot as well. If hadn't have hit that one they may not have made it to the Ohio State game.

Only thing I wish was that Knight would have been fouled on the final possession against UConn. Four point play to end regulation and who knows what happens in overtime.

WMR
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
T. Jones to announce his decision via Twitter tomorrow via Coach Cal twitter... makes you think he's staying... Don't want to get too excited. ;)

LexRedsFan
05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Jones will be back.

LexRedsFan
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Erh, maybe not. Just got some info saying he's leaving. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Joseph
05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
As its often stated, the draft is so often predicated on potential. I think Jones has the most potential of any of our early entries this year, so there could be some team who said they'd take him in the top 15, thats all it takes, one.

WVRed
05-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Erh, maybe not. Just got some info saying he's leaving. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Is it Marc Maggard by chance? I don't have TBK anymore but i'd be shocked if he announced it by Twitter that he was leaving. Good way to alienate fans IMO.

LexRedsFan
05-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Is it Marc Maggard by chance? I don't have TBK anymore but i'd be shocked if he announced it by Twitter that he was leaving. Good way to alienate fans IMO.

First one was based upon MM. He was (and still is) adamant TJ will be choosing to return. My second post was based upon a guy who lives with some athletes, and is almost always nails saying that TJ is gone.

At this point I'm torn as to what I think will happen, as much as TJ probably is/was. Like you, I can't see him choosing to announce that he's leaving via Twitter.

WVRed
05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
First one was based upon MM. He was (and still is) adamant TJ will be choosing to return. My second post was based upon a guy who lives with some athletes, and is almost always nails saying that TJ is gone.

At this point I'm torn as to what I think will happen, as much as TJ probably is/was. Like you, I can't see him choosing to announce that he's leaving via Twitter.

Go with MM. He's been accurate 95% of the time. I used to subscribe to the premium section to TBK and the only thing I ever remember him being wrong about was Will Barton. He said TJ was coming to Kentucky last year when everybody had him pegged for Washington.

LexRedsFan
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Go with MM. He's been accurate 95% of the time. I used to subscribe to the premium section to TBK and the only thing I ever remember him being wrong about was Will Barton. He said TJ was coming to Kentucky last year when everybody had him pegged for Washington.

He also was adamant Teague was choosing UK.

WMR
05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Terrence Jones coming back!!!! :D

Joseph
05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Terrence Jones coming back!!!! :D

Excellent news.

TeamSelig
05-07-2011, 05:39 PM
YES!

TeamSelig
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Okay, say Liggins returns. What is your lineup?

PG Teague / Lamb
SG Liggins / Lamb
SF Gilchrist / Miller
PF Jones / Miller / Wiltjer
C Davis / Wiltjer / Vargas

WMR
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
1.Teague
2 Lamb
3 Gilchrist/Liggins/Miller (one of those 3 IMO ... Miller/Liggins more likely early, Gilchrist perhaps more likely late)
4 Jones
5 Davis

WVRed
05-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Starting the year:

PG-Teague
SG-Liggins
SF-Miller
PF-Jones
C-Davis

Lamb, Gilchrist, and Wiltjer first off the bench.

Toward the end of the year, I think Gilchrist will take over for either Miller if Disappearius returns or Liggins if he struggles offensively. These two have to start early to give us a defensive advantage. Gilchrist will come along, but freshmen don't come in knowing how to play defense right away. Once he buys in, he will start to challenge for a starting spot.

I'm also hearing Trevor Lacey will pick the Cats on May 18th, adding to an already loaded recruiting class. The rich get richer.

TeamSelig
05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Well, I think Miller will start initially. Gilchrist is too good and if plays D like he is being hyped to, I don't see how he won't be starting later on.

I'd guess an 8 man rotation something like this......

PG Teague 32 Lamb 8
SG Liggins 30 Lamb 10
SF Miller 12 Gilchrist 28
PF Jones 32 Miller 8
C Davis 32 Wiltjer 8

cincy jacket
05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Looking more and more like Liggins will not be back next year. Wonder how this will effect the Lacey recruitment? With or without Liggins next years team will be absolutely stacked. Already tying to figure out a way to get my hands on UNC-UK tickets. It will be an absolutely epic game.

TeamSelig
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I've heard people talking about Lacey but I haven't seen any HL or heard much about him. What kind of player is he?

WVRed
05-08-2011, 11:34 PM
I've heard people talking about Lacey but I haven't seen any HL or heard much about him. What kind of player is he?

IMO he's more like Doron Lamb. He is an excellent shooter but not much of a ballhandler unless he has to be.

I'd like to find a way to add both Lacey and DeAndre Daniels. Daniels is a lanky prospect who would be more likely to replace Liggins and both would add some 3 pt shooting.

WVRed
05-08-2011, 11:37 PM
I was hoping UK wouldn't lose Liggins, but you can't blame him for wanting to support his family.

His leadership and defense early on is going to be missed. I said earlier that Liggins would have likely started this season until Gilchrist supplanted him, but its looking like UK will be starting three freshmen again.

WVRed
05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
On another note, Jeff Goodman probably just made the dumbest quote of the year. Said that Calipari was a "salesman" in getting Terrence Jones to return for an extra season.

It's funny how Harrison Barnes and Jared Sullinger both return to college because of their "love for college". Jones comes back, and Calipari is a "salesman". Nice little double standard.

How many people on here think that Roy Williams or Coach K would rip up a kids scholarship to tell him he is ready for the draft? Doesn't sound like a salesman to me.

cincy jacket
05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I'd like to find a way to add both Lacey and DeAndre Daniels. Daniels is a lanky prospect who would be more likely to replace Liggins and both would add some 3 pt shooting.

Whatever happend with Daniels? Keep hearing that he is always about to sign with UK, then Kansas, and then Duke and nothing ever happens. Seems to be the oddest situation with him changing classes and then allthis drama now playing out.

I haven't seen Daniels or Lacey play, but I know people who have seen Lacey play and they all came away impressed.

Revering4Blue
05-09-2011, 09:16 PM
On another note, Jeff Goodman probably just made the dumbest quote of the year. Said that Calipari was a "salesman" in getting Terrence Jones to return for an extra season.

It's funny how Harrison Barnes and Jared Sullinger both return to college because of their "love for college". Jones comes back, and Calipari is a "salesman". Nice little double standard.

How many people on here think that Roy Williams or Coach K would rip up a kids scholarship to tell him he is ready for the draft? Doesn't sound like a salesman to me.

And then Goodman lauds Jones' decision to return.

On the surface, with a terrific recruiting class coming to Lexington, many would question why Jones stuck around. But the talented forward isn’t close to ready for the NBA – he’s inconsistent and immature. NBA types told me he would have gone somewhere from 10-15 this year. He’ll probably move up slightly next year, but he can help win a national title and be better prepared for the next level.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Jeff-Goodman-winners-and-loser-from-the-NBA-draft-deadline-050911

I enjoy his columns, but, yes, that was an incredibly stupid "salesman" comment.
Double standard, indeed.

LexRedsFan
05-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Goodman was trollin' UK fans. He's admitted he says this Crap just to get a rise out of UK fans.

Seems 4/5 of the lineup is pretty much set at Teague/Lamb/Jones/Davis. Personally I would start Gillie over Darius.

WVRed
05-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Goodman was trollin' UK fans. He's admitted he says this Crap just to get a rise out of UK fans.

Seems 4/5 of the lineup is pretty much set at Teague/Lamb/Jones/Davis. Personally I would start Gillie over Darius.

Not out of the gates. Miller has his flaws but he will be more polished to start the season, especially on defense. If Miller reverts back to being Disappearius I believe Gilchrist will supplant him.

With Gilchrist's motor and desire to start, I wouldn't be shocked if Cal uses him as a sparkplug off the bench, just like Liggins the past couple of seasons.

joshnky
05-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't believe for a second UK ever offered or called about this guy. Cal doesn't need reclamation projects at UK. Just look at our current 2011 recruits... who's the lowest ranked, Wiltjer, at 20-something?

It was a smart move I guess by his AAU coach/Pitino/Jurich because it makes UL look less slimy for taking him if UK and others were 'reportedly' so interested...

Pitino is looking more and more like a desperate man.

So, Calipari doesn't take reclamation projects? Since recruiting Tony Woods made UofL look slimy does it make UK look slimy as well?

WVRed
05-14-2011, 10:57 PM
So, Calipari doesn't take reclamation projects? Since recruiting Tony Woods made UofL look slimy does it make UK look slimy as well?

There are a lot of players I would take right now over Tony Woods (Trevor Lacey, Ryan Harrow, DeAndre Daniels topping the list), but if Cal thinks that Woods is legit both in production and off court issues being over, that's good enough for me.

UK is always going to be perceived as slimy and Woods coming here isn't going to change that. Adolph Rupp was a racist, Cal has had two final four appearances vacated, Emery Worldwide package etc.

What I don't understand is that a lot of Louisville fans have said that Woods likely would be a benchwarmer for them but a lot of UK fans have him starting and pushing Jones to SF and Davis to PF. I don't get it.

joshnky
05-15-2011, 09:28 AM
What I don't understand is that a lot of Louisville fans have said that Woods likely would be a benchwarmer for them but a lot of UK fans have him starting and pushing Jones to SF and Davis to PF. I don't get it.

I don't think he would play much for either school next year. He wasn't great as a freshman and has been sitting for the past year. As I said before, I don't really care one way or the other Woods coming to Louisville. What I will enjoy, however; is him committing to UK after WMR trashed Louisville and made the comments I quoted above.

WVRed
05-16-2011, 11:13 AM
So any idea on whether or not we land Lacey, Harrow, or Woods?

WMR
05-16-2011, 12:35 PM

The fact that he bolted from even considering UL tells me I may have misjudged him. :lol:

In all seriousness, I would be cautious and very concerned if Tony Woods were to join the UK program.

However, Cal has earned a lot more 'good will' towards these types of decisions than has Pitino. I.e., everything Cal has touched so far at UK has turned golden whereas everything Pitino has touched at UL has turned to.....

Scrap Irony
05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Calipari has done a great job at Kentucky, but he's certainly not infallible. To insist everything's he's touched has turned golden is to ignore some history (Spring 2010 grades, for example, The eligibility concerns of Wall and Kanter for another) detractors certainly won't.

As for Woods, I could see it either way. He may deserve a second chance. He may truly be sorry for his crime. I don't know Woods, nor do I pretend to. I know next to nothing of his situation. But, the guy has a criminal record. A pretty serious charge, too. To say that he'll be fine because of his coach smacks of blue-tinted glasses. (Not that that's ever stopped you, WMR.)

WMR
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Calipari has done a great job at Kentucky, but he's certainly not infallible. To insist everything's he's touched has turned golden is to ignore some history (Spring 2010 grades, for example, The eligibility concerns of Wall and Kanter for another) detractors certainly won't.

As for Woods, I could see it either way. He may deserve a second chance. He may truly be sorry for his crime. I don't know Woods, nor do I pretend to. I know next to nothing of his situation. But, the guy has a criminal record. A pretty serious charge, too. To say that he'll be fine because of his coach smacks of blue-tinted glasses. (Not that that's ever stopped you, WMR.)

Angry WKU fan alert. :lol: Seeing you stomp your feet is mildly cute, but it isn't going to make you any more relevant.

Cal's two years here have been beyond amazing. Keep trying to hate on the guy though, that seems to be your MO.

To try and use Wall and Kanter as black marks against Cal is just sad. I would expect much better from you.

Do you know that had Kanter not finished up both his semesters in good academic standing the NCAA would have punished UK? Aren't you a teacher? Wow.

Scrap Irony
05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Were they eligible or were there questions, WMR? Wall had to pay back some money and take a couple game suspension. That's not golden. Kanter was ruled ineligible by the NCAA. Not golden.

How about that 2.12 GPA last spring? Tarnished might be a better adjective.

How about Darnell Dodson? Is he black mark enough? Perhaps he was golden in the glow of the bong.

Calipari is probably my favorite NCAA coach ever. He's honest to a fault, he's fun to talk to, he's a great quote.

But he's not perfect. Nor is the job he's done at Kentucky. It has nothing to do with being or not being a fan. It's citing history. I'm not stomping my feet (whatever that means). I'm not "hating" anyone. (Again, Cal is among the best coaches I know and is probably my current favorite.)

On a side note, it is interesting that everyone who disagrees with you is "hating" or ignoring truth.

Some day, hopefully, you will figure that out. Otherwise, well... you'll be pretty much typical of many UK fans I've met.

WMR
05-16-2011, 01:30 PM
On a side note, it is interesting that everyone who disagrees with you is "hating" or ignoring truth.

You should be above using weak strawmen like this one. Your attempted characterizations of Wall and Kanter as black marks against Calipari was beyond lame and extremely contrived and you needed to be called out on it. Wall and Kanter aren't black marks, they're gold stars. Model student athletes, especially Kanter who finished up his second semester with good grades despite the fact that he never got to play a second of college ball. Talk to Josh Selby and get back to me about BLACK MARKS.

Furthermore, no one EVER said Cal was perfect, just that his first two years here have been a dream and we hope he never leaves.

How about that 2.12 GPA last spring?
Check the grades from this past semester, professor.

How about Darnell Dodson? Is he black mark enough? Perhaps he was golden in the glow of the bong.
See? Dodson, the pothead. There you go. A black mark against Cal. A legitimate one. I knew you could do it. :D

you'll be pretty much typical of many UK fans I've met.
I would love to tell you who (or is it what) I think you're typical of. ;)

I also think you've mischaracterized my post as being "okay" with adding Woods. I said I would be concerned. I just said that Cal has earned the right to take on Woods if he decides that it's the right move. NOW, if the Woods Experiment is a disaster then it would certainly qualify as a black mark against Cal and would weigh against him in how he was judged in future situations.

WMR
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.lex18.com/news/basketball-cats-post-high-grades-for-spring-semester/

Let's hope Bob Knight is somewhere reading this. That's because John Calipari announced on his website Wednesday night the GPA of his team for the spring semester and the entire year, and they're both above a 3.0.

A Final Four AND Above a 3.0??? WOW. GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE.

Scrap Irony
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
No strawman, no crap. You just can't stand for anyone to say anything against "your" university. No one is allowed to be critical. No one is allowed to say anyting critical, or you go all nuclear. On the flip side, you dig at every other university, especially UofL. What's good for the goose makes the gander throw up his arms and shout from the rooftops.

It's tired.

Calipari is a great coach.

He's not perfect, nor is every choice he makes a good one.

Wall, while a great player, was a questionable recruit as evidenced by his two-game NCAA suspension. That in itself is indeed a black mark.

Kanter cannot be considered a student-athlete because he was never an athlete while being a student. A lifetime ban from the NCAA is the very definition of a black mark against a coach.

Dodson is a black mark. Last season's GPA was a black mark.

Are they a big deal? Probably not. But they're black marks just the same.

WMR
05-16-2011, 02:15 PM
How can Kanter not be a student athlete if the NCAA would have punished UK had he not finished his classes? He can count against the APR but doesn't qualify as a student athlete? Riiiight. More brilliance from the NCAA.

WMR
05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
No strawman, no crap. You just can't stand for anyone to say anything against "your" university. No one is allowed to be critical. No one is allowed to say anyting critical, or you go all nuclear. On the flip side, you dig at every other university, especially UofL. What's good for the goose makes the gander throw up his arms and shout from the rooftops.

It's tired.

Calipari is a great coach.

He's not perfect, nor is every choice he makes a good one.

Wall, while a great player, was a questionable recruit as evidenced by his two-game NCAA suspension. That in itself is indeed a black mark.

Kanter cannot be considered a student-athlete because he was never an athlete while being a student. A lifetime ban from the NCAA is the very definition of a black mark against a coach.

Dodson is a black mark. Last season's GPA was a black mark.

Are they a big deal? Probably not. But they're black marks just the same.

Be critical all you want. Just come with something legitimate. John Wall and Enes Kanter were/are excellent ambassadors for Kentucky and to attempt to characterize them as something other than that is erroneous and in need of correction.

Stick with the Pothead angle, IMO.

I would suggest the "One and Done Factory" Angle but Doron and Terrence threw a bit of a monkey wrench into those gears... :)

LexRedsFan
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Black mark enough to be kicked off the team....

LexRedsFan
05-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Not out of the gates. Miller has his flaws but he will be more polished to start the season, especially on defense. If Miller reverts back to being Disappearius I believe Gilchrist will supplant him.

Late reply here, but hey...who cares? haha.

Darius is one of the lazier defenders I've seen off the ball, jmo. He seems to fall asleep a lot and just let stupid things happen that lead to a few buckets a game. Gilchrist will step right into Liggins' shoes IMO.

Plus, I'm still pissed at Miller for being maybe the biggest no-show of all in the Final Four.

WVRed
05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Late reply here, but hey...who cares? haha.

Darius is one of the lazier defenders I've seen off the ball, jmo. He seems to fall asleep a lot and just let stupid things happen that lead to a few buckets a game. Gilchrist will step right into Liggins' shoes IMO.

Plus, I'm still pissed at Miller for being maybe the biggest no-show of all in the Final Four.

Harrellson disappared as well so I really don't fault one person in that game. UConn subbed at will and kept fresh defenders on our players. One of the disadvantages of a seven man rotation.

Miller will start the year. Whether he remains the starter will remain to be seen.

5TimeWSChamps
05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Nice, just saw this thread.

I don't think we'll get Harrow. Would love to get Lacey but who knows

As for Tony Woods, we honestly don't need him since TJ is back.

Cal's not gonna play more than 8 players anyways

Teague
Lamb
Miller
jones
Davis

Gilchrist
Wiltjer
Vargas
Lacey (Hopefully)

Polson
Hood
Poole

WVRed
05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Trevor Lacey to announce at 2:00

5TimeWSChamps
05-18-2011, 02:27 PM
3:00 EST.

Looks like Bama

WVRed
05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
3:00 EST.

Looks like Bama

I'm getting the same vibe. Marc just posted it over at TBK.

DeAndre Daniels is committing today as well. For some reason I think he will stick with Texas or go to Duke.

WMR
05-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Ryan Harrow to KENTUCKY!!

This is HUGE.

I'm greedy, give me Purvis too. :D

LexRedsFan
06-09-2011, 03:08 PM
All the recruits are on campus.

I'm so jacked for next season. I keep fantasizing about a title. I need to reign myself in.

WVRed
06-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

Apparently the NCAA isn't too happy with UK celebrating Cal's 500th career victory last year against Florida, because, you know, they vacated some of those wins. The NCAA has issued a five page letter to UK asking for an apology that they have to approve.

I'd personally like to see a ceremony where UK sets fire to that letter. Maybe even have Kanter do the honors.

TeamSelig
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow, doesn't the NCAA have something better to do?

cumberlandreds
06-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Wow, doesn't the NCAA have something better to do?

My thoughts exactly. UK did nothing wrong. If they wanted celebrate Cal's 1000th win,albeit a little early, why couldn't they do that? Just real stupidity by the NCAA once again.

5TimeWSChamps
06-14-2011, 12:59 PM
The funniest part is, the Notice of Allegations letter the NCAA sent Ohio State was only 8 pages.

5 PAGES...demanding an apology that the NCAA HAS TO ACCEPT AND DEEM WORTHY

You have to be kidding me

Scrap Irony
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
This won't help the perception among many Kentucky fans that they're being unfairly singled out.

WVRed
06-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Don't have much luck embedding Youtube videos, but this was discussed on PTI today and Mike Wilbon suggested that Kentucky should tell the NCAA to "go to hell".

I'd also like to add that Enes Kanter should urinate on the letter after we burn it.

WVRed
06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
NBA Draft Picks:
Enes Kanter to Utah Jazz at no 3
Brandon Knight to Detroit Pistons at no 8
Josh Harrellson to NY Knicks via New Orleans at no 45
DeAndre Liggins to Orlando at no 53

Was pleasantly surprised Harrellson got drafted, especially over Liggins.

The reason Knight slipped supposedly was "attitude". I don't think teams were happy he didn't work out against Kemba Walker.

WMR
06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
JORTS DRAFT DAY BABY!!!

Love it. So proud of Josh. Drafted into the NBA baby when he was left for dead by many...

Anyone see where Selby got drafted? :eek:

Scotty Hopson? :eek: :eek:

cumberlandreds
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
NBA Draft Picks:
Enes Kanter to Utah Jazz at no 3
Brandon Knight to Detroit Pistons at no 8
Josh Harrellson to NY Knicks via New Orleans at no 45
DeAndre Liggins to Orlando at no 53

Was pleasantly surprised Harrellson got drafted, especially over Liggins.

The reason Knight slipped supposedly was "attitude". I don't think teams were happy he didn't work out against Kemba Walker.

If anyone had doubts that Calipari couldn't develop players then Harrelson is example 1A that he can. Harrelson was a nothing as a basketball player until this season. With Cal's pushing,prodding and coaching he made him good enough to be a 2nd round pick in the NBA draft. Who would have thought that just one year ago?
Kanter's praise of UK's fans and dedicating the season for them should make Calipari's next recruiting DVD. He couldn't have ask any more from him.
Knight had to be squirming a bit when saw some guys go ahead of him. If he had fallen to 10th or lower I would say there would have been some serious 2nd guessing going on about being in the draft.
I was happy to see Liggins drafted. I didn't think he would be and hopefully he can stick.

cumberlandreds
06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
JORTS DRAFT DAY BABY!!!

Love it. So proud of Josh. Drafted into the NBA baby when he was left for dead by many...

Anyone see where Selby got drafted? :eek:

Scotty Hopson? :eek: :eek:

I was looking for the UL players drafted. I just couldn't find any after a long search. :D

cumberlandreds
06-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Here's the video of Kanters interview after he was drafted. All UK fans should love this.

YouTube - ‪Enes Kanter - NBA Draft‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEm1glqavME)

WVRed
06-24-2011, 03:54 PM
If anyone had doubts that Calipari couldn't develop players then Harrelson is example 1A that he can. Harrelson was a nothing as a basketball player until this season. With Cal's pushing,prodding and coaching he made him good enough to be a 2nd round pick in the NBA draft. Who would have thought that just one year ago?
Kanter's praise of UK's fans and dedicating the season for them should make Calipari's next recruiting DVD. He couldn't have ask any more from him.
Knight had to be squirming a bit when saw some guys go ahead of him. If he had fallen to 10th or lower I would say there would have been some serious 2nd guessing going on about being in the draft.
I was happy to see Liggins drafted. I didn't think he would be and hopefully he can stick.

I read that teams passed on Knight because of his refusal to work out against Kemba Walker, but I think it has more to do with the foreign players.

Kanter will probably be the only international player from this draft to take the court THIS season. The rest are more likely "draft and stash" players who have teams who hold their rights until the buyout becomes more manageable.

Case in point with the Bulls and Mirotic. He will likely be overseas for four years and when Carlos Boozer's contract is up, his replacement is ready to step in.

WVRed
06-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I was looking for the UL players drafted. I just couldn't find any after a long search. :D

Nine players have been drafted in the past two season from Kentucky.

Four players have been drafted in the past nine seasons by Louisville.

If you want the definition of "Players first", look at the University of Kentucky.

cumberlandreds
06-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Nine players have been drafted in the past two season from Kentucky.

Four players have been drafted in the past nine seasons by Louisville.

If you want the definition of "Players first", look at the University of Kentucky.

I read that about UL. Another nice recruiting fact to use.

WMR
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Coach Cal signed a 2 year extension this week.

Hope we keep adding years in perpetuity. :D

Hoosier Red
06-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Coach Cal signed a 2 year extension this week.

Hope we keep adding years in perpetuity. :D

Did the NCAA rule that it was actually 1 year and 360 days? :lol:
See I even take Kentucky's side in a few things.

WMR
06-30-2011, 04:36 PM
So Who's Your Red, should IU fans rush the court if they beat UK this season in Bloomington? Read that from an IU fan on Peegs...

I figure if you rush for Illinois, you gotta rush for Kentucky. :lol:

Hoosier Red
06-30-2011, 08:35 PM
So Who's Your Red, should IU fans rush the court if they beat UK this season in Bloomington? Read that from an IU fan on Peegs...

I figure if you rush for Illinois, you gotta rush for Kentucky. :lol:

I'm not a rushing the court snob. I say they rush the court if they happen to beat SE Maryland State Tech. :lol: For Kentucky, they'll burn down the town.

TeamSelig
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm not a rushing the court snob. I say they rush the court if they happen to beat SE Maryland State Tech. :lol: For Kentucky, they'll burn down the town.

lol

WMR
07-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Jeff Goodman predicts UK will get Shabazz Muhammad... Would be a hell of a pick up.

Will have to beat out AZ and UCLA.

WVRed
07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Jeff Goodman predicts UK will get Shabazz Muhammad... Would be a hell of a pick up.

Will have to beat out AZ and UCLA.

Supposedly brand loyalty is the question for Muhammad. He is an Adidas guy which is why people are speculating UCLA.

I think we get at least one of Muhammad, Ricky Ledo, and Archie Goodwin.

Joseph
07-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Kids now base choice of college on what type shoe they wear there? Wow.

dabvu2498
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Kids now base choice of college on what type shoe they wear there? Wow.

Not a new thing. At all. See: Sonny Vaccaro.

WMR
07-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I think that shoe stuff is wayyyy overplayed.

Who does John Wall rep and where did he go to college?

cumberlandreds
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
UK's non conference schedule was released yesterday for the 2011-12 season. A good non conference sked with a decent number of cupcakes. I won't identify the cupcakes at risk of ofending fans of other teams on this site. :)

Mark down December 3rd as must see TV. UK host UNC that day in what could be an early season battle of number 1 against number 2. UK also plays Kansas,St.Johns and their annual battles with Indiana and Louisville. The UL game is a New Years Eve game.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/kty-m-baskbl-sched.html

WVRed
07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
UK's non conference schedule was released yesterday for the 2011-12 season. A good non conference sked with a decent number of cupcakes. I won't identify the cupcakes at risk of ofending fans of other teams on this site. :)

Mark down December 3rd as must see TV. UK host UNC that day in what could be an early season battle of number 1 against number 2. UK also plays Kansas,St.Johns and their annual battles with Indiana and Louisville. The UL game is a New Years Eve game.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/kty-m-baskbl-sched.html

While it may look good on paper, this is probably as weak as Cal's first season here, the UNC game notwithstanding.

Kansas is going to be down this year. St Johns is bringing in a top recruiting class into Rupp (second to the Cats of course) but will likely be overmatched. Indiana is in a do or die situation IMO this season and could fall either way (IU gives us a good game in Bloomington or completely falls apart). Cal has owned Louisville twice and I really think the game has passed Pitino by. I don't see them being a two seed like what Lunardi is suggesting.

The rest are basically cupcakes.

WVRed
07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Jon Hood with a torn ACL. :(

Bummer

WMR
07-19-2011, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CWAAb7d-fEg#at=38

Nice shorts, LeBron. :D

redsfan39
07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Read about Jon Hood tearing his ACL in a pick up game of basketball yesterday. Hate that for him.

redsfan39
07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
We made the cut for 2012 recruit Brandon Ashley in his final 7 schools. 2012 recruit Alex Poythress is cutting his list to 5 at the end of the July recruiting period.

WMR
07-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Kentucky vs. Ohio State on CBS SN at 4:00 PM

One game I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching. :D

WVRed
07-24-2011, 01:54 AM
We made the cut for 2012 recruit Brandon Ashley in his final 7 schools. 2012 recruit Alex Poythress is cutting his list to 5 at the end of the July recruiting period.

Bigger fish to fry my friend.

Give me Shabazz Muhammad.

5TimeWSChamps
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I think we end up with Muhammad, Pollard, Goodwin, Robert Carter, and Dejuan Coleman

dabvu2498
07-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Sad story about Desmond Allison.

WMR
07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes, very sad. The first--and only--casualty of the "Zero Tolerance" Policy following the DUI crash and death of I believe UK and EKU football players...

One can't help but wonder if Allison's life could have taken a different turn if the University had practiced a more pastoral approach considering it was his first incident. The policy was scrapped after a very short time period.

dabvu2498
07-28-2011, 02:29 AM
He could really play, too.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Yes, very sad. The first--and only--casualty of the "Zero Tolerance" Policy following the DUI crash and death of I believe UK and EKU football players...

One can't help but wonder if Allison's life could have taken a different turn if the University had practiced a more pastoral approach considering it was his first incident. The policy was scrapped after a very short time period.

The people killed in that crash were UK football player Arnie Steinmetz and a student at EKU who was supposedly a good friend of Tim Couch.

5TimeWSChamps
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Tracy McGrady has had good things to say about him on his Twitter page. He seemed to really respect Desmond's game.

The UK alums vs Dominican national team is gonna be great.

Players that will be playing:
Wall
Rondo
Bledsoe
Meeks
Prince
Cousins
Mohammed
Bogans

Dominican Republic has
Horford
Villaneuva
And one other NBA player.

I hope it's on TV, would love to see Wall/Rondo in the same backcourt

LexRedsFan
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
NCAA rules against fun, saying no TV or radio.

Uh....what? How is a team with no UK association under the jurisdiction of the NCAA? Isn't this like saying an NBA preseason game can't be on TV?

WVRed
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
NCAA rules against fun, saying no TV or radio.

Uh....what? How is a team with no UK association under the jurisdiction of the NCAA? Isn't this like saying an NBA preseason game can't be on TV?

Here's what all Big Brother has handed down.

1. There can be no television or radio coverage of the event.

2. Joe B Hall is not allowed to be the coach of the “UK team”

3. Calipari is not allowed to invite the school’s former players to the game in order to honor them.

4. The team cannot be called the “UK legends”, instead having to be referred to as a generic group brought together to play the Dominican Republic.

I'd love to see colleges adopt the superconferences format proposed by Calipari, if nothing else than to see the NCAA crumble.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
This is not going to help the perception that the NCAA is out to get UK.

It's also a stupid decision.

This is a fantastic idea by Calipari to celebrate Kentucky history. Only Calipari is actually an NCAA employee or need abide by NCAA rules. (How they rule that a retired coach cannot coach players with no eligibility to take away defies any common sense.)

I try to discuss rationally the NCAA and its decisions. However. this smacks of "revenge" for pointing out the stupidity of the former NCAA decision about Calipari's wins. It also makes it hard to defend that particular governing body.

Who does this hurt?

How does it help?

I just don't get it.

Truly stupid.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Just to review, the last three decisions by NCAA officials, as related to Kentucky:

1. Enes Kanter is denied eligibility in a decision that was derided by most reporters, media, and unbiased "experts" as unfair. The NCAA President claimed that every university knew he would be ineligible from the get-go, conveniently forgetting that Kanter verballed to his own university (with he as president).

2. NCAA win czar writes five-page letter about serious problem with Kentucky's win total and celebration of Calipari's 500th win. Stink ensues, with many UK fans taking to the 'net showing selective enforcement of win issue. NCAA denies selective enforcement charge, but refuses to take on other teams or demand apology for their "mistakes".

3. Now this.

Perhaps Kentucky fans have a point. At the very least, it looks like someone in the NCAA doesn't like Cal. At all. And is out to hammer him for every. little. thing. they can find.

The good news in this for UK fans is that this is all piddly, irritating crap. As hard as they seem to be looking, they can't seem to find anything.

dabvu2498
08-16-2011, 08:27 AM
So they ended up having the exhibition game on TV? Too bad. That was some vintage NCAA bashing, all for naught. ;)

Scrap Irony
08-16-2011, 07:47 PM
So they ended up having the exhibition game on TV? Too bad. That was some vintage NCAA bashing, all for naught. ;)

Remember, sports fans, former UK players could have jeopardized Kentucky's chances. Players with no ties to the university, save that they once played for it. And they weren't allowed to be "praised" or "honored" by the university, as that would also be a possible violation.

Meanwhile, Duke is able to play against another national team (China) on ESPN. They were allowed to play as Duke with Duke uniforms. On TV. With, I assume Mike K. coaching them.

I don't know if Duke was allowed to show their exhibition on their own television network. Kentucky wasn't. (A local channel covered the game with a makeshift announcing team and local network production values.)

The NCAA can go suck an egg.

It's still a remarkably stupid decision that smacks of favoritism.

dabvu2498
08-16-2011, 10:03 PM
You forget that Eloy Vargas plays at UK?

Hoosier Red
08-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Remember, sports fans, former UK players could have jeopardized Kentucky's chances. Players with no ties to the university, save that they once played for it. And they weren't allowed to be "praised" or "honored" by the university, as that would also be a possible violation.

Meanwhile, Duke is able to play against another national team (China) on ESPN. They were allowed to play as Duke with Duke uniforms. On TV. With, I assume Mike K. coaching them.

I don't know if Duke was allowed to show their exhibition on their own television network. Kentucky wasn't. (A local channel covered the game with a makeshift announcing team and local network production values.)

The NCAA can go suck an egg.

It's still a remarkably stupid decision that smacks of favoritism.

Duke was playing their international trip. Doesn't every school do that once every 3 or 4 years?
I agree that the NCAA limiting the TV for UK's greats exhibitions seems silly. But let's not drag Duke into this. There are plenty of other opportunities for the NCAA to show them favoritism.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
You forget that Eloy Vargas plays at UK?

Other team, dab. The one Calipari is coaching (and apparently NCAA kosher).

What business is it of the NCAA to say the former Kentucky players couldn't wear uniforms with Kentucky on them? Or be feted?

How can that make any sense at all to anyone?

As for Duke, should it matter where you're playing? If one team can't do it, why should another be allowed?

dabvu2498
08-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Other team, dab. The one Calipari is coaching (and apparently NCAA kosher).

What business is it of the NCAA to say the former Kentucky players couldn't wear uniforms with Kentucky on them? Or be feted?

How can that make any sense at all to anyone?

As for Duke, should it matter where you're playing? If one team can't do it, why should another be allowed?

I meant that Vargas' participation in this was more of a concern to the NCAA than the ex-UK guys.

Also, I'd say the fact that all this was thrown together in a couple weeks' time limited the NCAA's ability to review what was actually going on. Now if they hadn't allowed it to be televised at all or not allowed Hall to coach, that would have been silly. But I have no real issue with the NCAA keeping this from being an official university sanctioned event.

And let's not forget that 3 games (I think) from UK's official summer trip to Canada were allowed to be broadcast last year.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 05:44 PM
And that's the problem I have with it-- the arbitrary nature of the rules and how they're enforced.

Just so I know: how is celebrating former Kentucky players now in the pros, allowing them to wear a uniform that reads "Kentucky" on it, and allowing the state to watch said players on the BBN going to lead to highjinks down the road, dab?

I honestly can't see how it could. The NCAA doesn't have a dog in this fight, so what does it matter? Why would they stick their nose in the matter to begin with?

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I meant that Vargas' participation in this was more of a concern to the NCAA than the ex-UK guys.

Vargas has been okayed to do this. There's never been a rule against an amateur player being on his home team's national team. I can't see how that has anything at all to do with this.

dabvu2498
08-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Vargas has been okayed to do this. There's never been a rule against an amateur player being on his home team's national team. I can't see how that has anything at all to do with this.

Do you think the NCAA would have allowed a publicized, televised, ticketed scrimmage between the current UK squad and the squad of UK pros?

Because Vargas' participation as a member of the DR team made the NCAA an issue at all. If neither he nor Cal (to a much, much, much lesser extent) is participating in this thing, then the NCAA has literally no say-so whatsoever.

And I'd still say the timing of the thing is why there wasn't more coverage available.

dabvu2498
08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
On paper, the NCAA wants Kentucky to have the same advantageswith regards to their alumni as Kentucky State.

WVRed
08-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Also, I'd say the fact that all this was thrown together in a couple weeks' time limited the NCAA's ability to review what was actually going on. Now if they hadn't allowed it to be televised at all or not allowed Hall to coach, that would have been silly. But I have no real issue with the NCAA keeping this from being an official university sanctioned event.

And let's not forget that 3 games (I think) from UK's official summer trip to Canada were allowed to be broadcast last year.

Two games were broadcast, one was a daytime game. They were on the Fox Regional network that I wouldn't have gotten to have seen but I was on vacation and visited family who had the game.

I have more of a problem with the game being broadcast on the Worldwide Leader.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Do you think the NCAA would have allowed a publicized, televised, ticketed scrimmage between the current UK squad and the squad of UK pros?

Because Vargas' participation as a member of the DR team made the NCAA an issue at all. If neither he nor Cal (to a much, much, much lesser extent) is participating in this thing, then the NCAA has literally no say-so whatsoever.

And I'd still say the timing of the thing is why there wasn't more coverage available.

Calipari has been okayed as coach of the DR team. Vargas has been okayed as a DR team participant. The NCAA has historically allowed those players free reign in who they play and whether or not it's on television. In fact, there haven't been much of any rules regarding this type of thing because the NCAA hasn't historically cared one way or another. Why the change now?

Again, what does it matter who that team plays? Who does this hurt? Who could it possibly help? No one.

Or, to put a bit of a historical spin on it, Christian Laettner, as a member of the original Dream Team, played exhibitions against pros and college teams alike. The college all-star team game was televised, and, as far as I know, no one on either team was declared ineligible. Mike K. was an assistant coach on that 92 team.

In 1996, Tim Duncan and other college all-stars played Dream Team III. Twice. On ABC. The NCAA had no problem with allowing those players to remain eligible.

In short, it doesn't matter that Vargas is a member of the UK team when he's playing for his national team. Or at least it doesn't matter for other teams. Why is it different here?

RiverRat13
08-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Or, to put a bit of a historical spin on it, Christian Laettner, as a member of the original Dream Team, played exhibitions against pros and college teams alike. The college all-star team game was televised, and, as far as I know, no one on either team was declared ineligible. Mike K. was an assistant coach on that 92 team.

Laettner had exhausted his eligibility in April of '92.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 11:51 PM
I should have been clearer. The college All-Star team Laettner and company played consisted of college players Bobby Hurley, Cal Chaney, Penny Hardaway, Alan Houston, Rodney Rodgers, Glenn Robinson, and Jason Kidd.

None of them were declared ineligible.

dabvu2498
08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Two games were broadcast, one was a daytime game. They were on the Fox Regional network that I wouldn't have gotten to have seen but I was on vacation and visited family who had the game.

I have more of a problem with the game being broadcast on the Worldwide Leader.

If ESPN would have wanted to broadcast the UK Pros-DR game, it would have happened.

dabvu2498
08-18-2011, 07:50 AM

In 1996, Tim Duncan and other college all-stars played Dream Team III. Twice. On ABC. The NCAA had no problem with allowing those players to remain eligible.

In short, it doesn't matter that Vargas is a member of the UK team when he's playing for his national team. Or at least it doesn't matter for other teams. Why is it different here?

Because those games were not put together to showcase one college program. This clearly was.

Scrap Irony
08-18-2011, 04:37 PM
What college program? Only one player-- who was already cleared by the NCAA-- was used by that college program. Everyone else was a pro and had no eligibility.

It was an asinine decision that brought deserved rancor and further questioning of the NCAA way of doing business.

dabvu2498
08-18-2011, 08:51 PM
What college program?

The one that wanted to "honor" it's NBA pros as part of the event.

WVRed
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Way to go Dickie V!

Dick Vitale defends John Calipari and hangs up on Dan LeBatard Show - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGTYPBW3R80&feature=player_embedded)

Scrap Irony
08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
The one that wanted to "honor" it's NBA pros as part of the event.

Oh, you mean that event that had nothing to do with the NCAA?

You know, that event that had one already-cleared NCAA player playing on the other team from the pros in question.

WVRed
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Couple of UK recruits are coming off the board for other schools.

Andre Drummond is committing to UConn to play THIS year. That is going to be huge in that it gives the Huskies a post presence and somebody who can replace Kemba Walker's scoring ability. Add in Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb and UConn will be a top 5 team.

Ricardo Ledo is set to commit to Providence. Not exactly a big loss with the depth of wings in this years class.

I'm thinking we get Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Willie Cauley to go along with Ryan Harrow. Maybe one of Shabazz Muhammad or Dajuan Coleman.

TheBigLebowski
08-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Andre Drummond is committing to UConn to play THIS year. That is going to be huge in that it gives the Huskies a post presence and somebody who can replace Kemba Walker's scoring ability. Add in Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb and UConn will be a top 5 team.

Ricardo Ledo is set to commit to Providence. Not exactly a big loss with the depth of wings in this years class.

I'm thinking we get Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Willie Cauley to go along with Ryan Harrow. Maybe one of Shabazz Muhammad or Dajuan Coleman.

I think Poythress is going to Vandy. I think UK will end up with McGary, although I am holding out hope for Florida there.

A lot of people accuse Calipari of being dirty, cheating, etc...but the dirtiest cat out there is and always has been Jim Calhoun. That Drummond thing just reeks.

WMR
08-27-2011, 11:25 PM

You forgot they got DeAndre Daniels as well. If Drummond is cleared by the NCAA, UCONN will be right there with UK and UNC, IMO.

I think speculating on UK's class for next year right now is a little silly... 7 of the uncommitted top 10 list UK. You hear 5 experts give their "prediction" for UK's class and hear 5 different sets of names.

WVRed
08-27-2011, 11:54 PM
You forgot they got DeAndre Daniels as well. If Drummond is cleared by the NCAA, UCONN will be right there with UK and UNC, IMO.

I think speculating on UK's class for next year right now is a little silly... 7 of the uncommitted top 10 list UK. You hear 5 experts give their "prediction" for UK's class and hear 5 different sets of names.

It's only silly until you consider Wiltjer was the final commitment last year, and it was around this time.

I really think the NBA lockout and the uncertainty of a two year rule has this years recruiting class waiting. For example, if you are a wing, would you commit to Kentucky knowing you would have to ride the pine behind Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Doron Lamb (wouldn't be shocked if he came back for his junior year)?

WMR
08-27-2011, 11:57 PM
It's only silly until you consider Wiltjer was the final commitment last year, and it was around this time.

I really think the NBA lockout and the uncertainty of a two year rule has this years recruiting class waiting. For example, if you are a wing, would you commit to Kentucky knowing you would have to ride the pine behind Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Doron Lamb (wouldn't be shocked if he came back for his junior year)?

Which is why it's silly to try and predict... way too many unknowns right now.

WVRed
08-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I think Poythress is going to Vandy. I think UK will end up with McGary, although I am holding out hope for Florida there.

A lot of people accuse Calipari of being dirty, cheating, etc...but the dirtiest cat out there is and always has been Jim Calhoun. That Drummond thing just reeks.

Vandy is going all out, but if Cal wants him (same with Coach K), its going to be a dogfight.

Agree wholeheartedly on Calhoun. I have a feeling this is his last season and there will be something come out close to tournament time involving Calhoun and Drummond. Calhoun will get out before the hammer comes down, but it will happen.

TheBigLebowski
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Vandy is going all out, but if Cal wants him (same with Coach K), its going to be a dogfight.

Agree wholeheartedly on Calhoun. I have a feeling this is his last season and there will be something come out close to tournament time involving Calhoun and Drummond. Calhoun will get out before the hammer comes down, but it will happen.

Florida and Duke are in on Poythress as well, but I think it's Vandy/UK.

Drummond and Calhoun are going to be leaving UConn at the same time. And there will probably be soo much dirt that comes up on him when he leaves..

WVRed
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Pretty impressive list for Big Blue Madness:

Shabazz Muhammad
DaJuan Coleman
Archie Goodwin
Alex Poythress
TJ Warren
Willie Cauley
Chris Walker
Dakari Johnson
Aaron and Andrew Harrison

WMR
08-30-2011, 09:54 PM
The amount of talent that's going to be at BBM this season, across several classes, is just unreal. We are in sooo good with 2013 and on kids. (Not that we've been struggling so far in recruiting, LOL) :D

WVRed
08-30-2011, 10:03 PM
The amount of talent that's going to be at BBM this season, across several classes, is just unreal. We are in sooo good with 2013 and on kids. (Not that we've been struggling so far in recruiting, LOL) :D

There's been talk of Nerlens Noel reclassifying to 2012. If he committed to Kentucky and came a year early, you would hear more Kentucky cheating comments than what should be directed at UConn right now.

I think 2012 is going to be a down class due to uncertainty. For all we know Davis, Teague, Wiltjer, and MKG could all return if the NBA enacts a two and done rule. I doubt a Shabazz Muhammad would come in to ride the pine to Gilchrist or Lamb (if he returns).

2013 looks so much more promising. The Harrison twins, Walker, Noel if he doesnt commit early, etc.

WMR
09-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Guess who posted this today...

Just got done hooping at UK with the team, and alum Rondo, Eric Bledsoe, DeMarcus Cousins. Great run! Big Blue Nation!

dabvu2498
09-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Guess who posted this today...

And yesterday and today, he's tweeting from Columbus. His front-runnership knows no bounds!

WMR
09-16-2011, 02:34 PM
And yesterday and today, he's tweeting from Columbus. His front-runnership knows no bounds!

Recruits love it, that's all I care about...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/35271/lebron-james-plays-pickup-at-kentucky

WVRed
09-16-2011, 06:31 PM
In other words, that snake charmer, liar, shady coach for the Kentucky Wildcats just broke a NCAA rule:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/blogs/article?offset=3&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A20050301% 3Ahighschool%2Carticle%2Cyhoo-ept_sports_prep_rally-wp5887%3A1&.ts=1316205224&.ysid=kykfPhF1SaWqoksUAP3YS.9S&.intl=US&.lang=en

Does anybody else think probation is coming? :D

WMR
09-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Archie Goodwin is a Cat!!

AWESOME! :D

Scrap Irony
09-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a buddy who works as a high school talent evaluator that I lean on from time to time.

He says, next to Shabazz, he'd rather have Goodwin than anyone. Athletic, can handle, will be a dead-eye shooter with work, attacks the rim with reckless abandon, and utterly fearless. He's also willing to play defense and has some defensive aptitude.

Of course, this guy also insists the time of the big center is gone and everyone should stack their team with athletic 6'7" guys who can handle, so he may be a little biased.

Does this put Kentucky out of the running for Shabazz, or will the two coexist? I realize the 2 and 3 spots are interchangeable in Calipari's system, but Goodwin's 6'5", a 'tweener SF/SG and Shabazz, by all accounts, wants to play out front as a SG.

Does it all boil down to semantics?

And what does this do with the Perry Ellis decision today? Is he likely KU-bound, as he's been rumored to be since the get-go? (Probably, IMO.) I think Ellis is underrated, personally, as he simply does what it takes. He's a gamer and a winner. Those are two traits often overlooked by AAU scouts.

WVRed
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Somewhat bad news today.

Mitch McGary canceled his trip to Big Blue Madness. Is considered a Michigan lean now.

Hoping we can get DaJuan Coleman now.

WVRed
10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Looks like Ricky Three Stacks and Cal are going at it again:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20111005/COLUMNISTS01/310050100/Rick-Bozich-John-Calipari-has-bad-case-Rick-Pitino-Envy?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CHome

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/32535770

WVRed
10-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Kentucky Basketball 2011-2012: "The Final Countdown" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKcY0z-bH8&feature=player_embedded)

In case anybody is down after the embarrassment against USCjr today.

jmac
10-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Kentucky Basketball 2011-2012: "The Final Countdown" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKcY0z-bH8&feature=player_embedded)

In case anybody is down after the embarrassment against USCjr today.

Thanks...we needed this ! :D

LexRedsFan
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Section 16, Row O for BBM
12, AA for Blue-White game.

Can't wait.

WMR
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Want to laugh your ass off??

http://www.courier-journal.com/interactive/article/20111013/SPORTS02/111013008/Poll-Did-introduction-go-too-far

cumberlandreds
10-14-2011, 10:52 AM

http://www.courier-journal.com/interactive/article/20111013/SPORTS02/111013008/Poll-Did-introduction-go-too-far (http://www.courier-journal.com/interactive/article/20111013/SPORTS02/111013008/Poll-Did-introduction-go-too-far)

:laugh:

Pretty darn good!

WMR
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Kentucky Basketball holds the highest overall winning percentage of any men's team, in any major sport (football, basketball, baseball, hockey), in both the college and pro ranks (.760).

This is higher than Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Nebraska, Penn State, or Texas in college football.

This is higher than the Yankees, Redsox, Cardinals, Reds, A's, or Dodgers in the MLB.

This is higher than the Packers, Steelers, Bears, 49ers, Giants, or Raiders in the NFL.

This is higher than the Canadians, Islanders, Rangers, Bruins, Redwings, Flyers, Oilers, or Blackhawks in the NHL.

This is higher than the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, 76ers, or Pistons in the NBA.

This is higher than UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, or Indiana in college basketball.

WVRed
10-14-2011, 12:15 PM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=95940

Would be nicer if this was in public instead of a rotary club.

jmac
10-15-2011, 10:52 AM

http://www.courier-journal.com/interactive/article/20111013/SPORTS02/111013008/Poll-Did-introduction-go-too-far

Matt Jones ! :D

WVRed
10-19-2011, 11:46 PM

I'll top that!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/37117/rick-pitinos-shaky-realignment-analogy

I had to do a double take on reading that to make sure he said what I thought he said. I'm starting to feel sorry for Pitino because there has to be something mental going on.

cumberlandreds
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll top that!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/37117/rick-pitinos-shaky-realignment-analogy (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/37117/rick-pitinos-shaky-realignment-analogy)

I had to do a double take on reading that to make sure he said what I thought he said. I'm starting to feel sorry for Pitino because there has to be something mental going on.

Pitino just needs to shut up. Everytime he opens his mouth he inserts his foot. Pretty funny though. :lol:

WMR
10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
There are certain behaviors in which Pitino has engaged which can cause diseases which lead to mental illness... Just sayin'...

5TimeWSChamps
10-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I am so ready for this year. Coachcal.com has had some awesome practice reports

jmac
10-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Pitino just needs to shut up. Everytime he opens his mouth he inserts his foot. Pretty funny though. :lol:

Yeah, even ESPN and places like that pick up on it now and not just UK fans.

5TimeWSChamps
10-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Watch blue/white scrimmage here

http://www.seeon.tv/view/2418/Funchester

WMR
10-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Terrence bleeping Jones

jmac
10-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Jones and Davis are going to make a pretty good duo ! ;)

Blimpie
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Jones and Davis are going to make a pretty good duo ! ;)I was lucky enough to have some great seats for last night's scrimmage, I feel that duo could conceivably go 1-2 in the next NBA Draft.

Of course, depending on where teams place in the lottery, Barnes and Sullinger are in the mix. I simply can't seeing many GMs passing on Jones and Davis.

Scrap Irony
10-28-2011, 06:18 PM
From Larry Vaught, an excellent guy and good reporter, a quote from Auburn Coach, Tony Barbee:

“He sat in my living room when I was a 17-year-old high school senior and I think he was a 29-year-old first time head coach. Out of everybody that came to my house and did a home visit, he was the most genuine,” said Barbee. “Having worked for him as an assistant coach and sat in the living rooms of kids he was recruiting, his recruiting spill didn’t change when he was 29 or 45.

“He is genuine in his approach to recruiting and not a lot of coaches are that way. He tells young men and their moms and their dads what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. He is honest to a fault and I think that resonates with kids when so many people are selling dreams and he is telling exactly how hard it is going to be.

“That’s why I gravitated towards him when I was a 17-year-old kid trying to make my decision because I believed in him and what he told me and for me it worked out. But everybody he has coached and teams I have been around, he has done the same exact thing.”

I make no secret of the fact that I like Cal a whole bunch, as I believe he's honest to a fault. This is the type of quote to confirm that for everyone to read.

Too, it'll be interesting to see how things roll on now as Pat Forde moves to Yahoo Sports. Yahoo is known for its exceptional investigative reporting and Forde has a history with Calipari that's not exactly glowing. (Forde openly questioned Cal as the choice of head coach at UK and, the scuttlebutt insists, was looking into Calipari dealings so much that ESPN basically told him to back off. When he didn't, he was taken away from the beat.)

If nothing is found negatively at Kentucky over the next two or three years, there simply won't be anything to find. (Or at least not much. IMO, they all cheat.) Forde will definitely be looking.

WVRed
10-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Willie Cauley is a Cat.

Didn't see that one coming. He is kinda raw, but could develop into a beast inside.

I would love to see us use the rest of the scholarships on wings and build up an interchangeable lineup with a lot of depth at those positions. We already have Goodwin in the fold, but imagine adding Gary Harris and Alex Poythress, as well as Shabazz Muhammad. A lot of possibilties with each player having a different skillset at different positions.

WVRed
11-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Kentucky started out slow tonight, but won 97-53 over Transylvania.

Anthony Davis had 8 blocks before coming out with cramps.

What little stats I've seen:

Terrence Jones: 22 pts 12 rebounds
MKG: 19 pts
Lamb: 19 pts
Teague: 12 pts 9 assists 2 steals

HatchMo
11-03-2011, 10:35 PM
That slow start was because they wouldn't take a shot inside the 3pt line. I expected anthony davis and terrance jones to be pretty dominant like they were, but i was most impressed by mkd, kid can ball.

WVRed
11-03-2011, 11:37 PM
That slow start was because they wouldn't take a shot inside the 3pt line. I expected anthony davis and terrance jones to be pretty dominant like they were, but i was most impressed by mkd, kid can ball.

This might be an exaggeration, but I seriously believe if he develops a jump shot and ultimately a perimeter shot, he would be mentioned in the same breath as LeBron.

Remember, LeBron's biggest weakness out of high school was shooting. He could slash with the best of them, but his shooting made him unstoppable.

WMR
11-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Kidd-Gilchrist is absolutely sick. He is going to be a hell of an NBA player someday.

Scrap Irony
11-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Kidd-Gilchrist is absolutely sick. He is going to be a hell of an NBA player someday.

Does he remind anyone else of Heshimu Evans offensively?

LexRedsFan
11-05-2011, 04:36 AM

IMO, MKG would be a hell of an NBA player now.

He's flat nasty.

We're lucky to have him.

WMR
11-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Does he remind anyone else of Heshimu Evans offensively?

Scrap..... is that a joke?

If Heshimu sleeps for 100 years he won't be as good as MKG.

And I'm one who actually appreciates MKG.

Scrap Irony
11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
No joke.

Evans was a very good player for UK. Kidd-Gilchrist is taller, but they have the same strengths (driving to the hole relentlessly, finishing on the break) and the same weaknesses (shooting from 20 feet).

Defensively, Evans is the lesser player, obviously. Kidd-Gilchrist is also the better rebounder.

But offensively, I could see Kidd-Gilchrist as a 10-12 pt./gm. player in about the same number of minutes taking just about the same type of shots.

WMR
11-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah I guess I can see it at this point. I guess I was more thinking of Kidd-Gilchrist's ceiling vs. Heshimu's.

WVRed
11-08-2011, 01:26 AM
So I hear there was a game tonight?

RiverRat13
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Kentucky has far and away the most talent of any team in college basketball. And that's really saying something considering how good UNC, OSU, UConn and Syracuse could be this year. If Cal can't win a title with this group, the scrutiny he should be under should dwarf anything Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, or any other coach in recent memory who "couldn't win the big one" faced.

Scrap Irony
11-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Kentucky has far and away the most talent of any team in college basketball. And that's really saying something considering how good UNC, OSU, UConn and Syracuse could be this year. If Cal can't win a title with this group, the scrutiny he should be under should dwarf anything Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, or any other coach in recent memory who "couldn't win the big one" faced.

I don't buy this at all. UNC and UK are really, really close in terms of talent. In fact, when comparing the two teams head to head:

PG Strickland > Teague
Comment: Teague's a freshman. He's not a reliable outside shooter. He's physical, which will put him in foul trouble virtually every game in the SEC. Plus, he's the only PG on the Kentucky team unless you count Justin Beiber look-a-like Jarod Polson. Strickland is a junior who's piloted his team to a major turnaround and an Elite Eight spot in the NCAA. While his biggest weakness is outside shooting, he's still a better shooter than Teague.

SG Hairston < Lamb
Comment: I'm assuming Hairston takes over the shooting guard spot as a freshman. He's undoubtedly talented and able to hit the long range shot, but Lamb showed true Deadeye Dan marksmanship. He's vastly underrated by most UK fans and others around the country.

SF Barnes > Miller
Comment: Even if you take Kidd-Gilchrist's motor over Miller's experience, neither touches Barnes, the pre-season POY for the nation, not just the ACC.

PF Henson < Jones
Comment: This is closer than many UK fans realize, but Jones' pre-season dominance trumps Henson's defense.

C Zeller = Davis
Comment: No one knows how Davis will handle college basketball. If he touches Zeller's production (15.7. 7.2/ 1.2), he'll be a success. While I think Davis may be able to do it, you have to realize that he's not the centerpiece of his team's offense. Jones is. And he's weak underneath.

Bench UNC > UK
Comment: I think McAdoo is one of the three most talented freshman in the country. He's reliable out to 18, doesn't try to do too much, rebounds, and defends. Kentucky's Kidd-Gilchrist is pretty even with him, but shorter. Kentucky also has Wiltjer, an intriguing European-style big, but Carolina can counter with Leslie McDonald, Kendall Marshall, and Reggie Bullock, all three of which are really, really good.

Coaching UNC = UK
Comment: It's the choice between Michelangelo and Picasso. You can't go wrong with either one of them.

Stray
11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
The one thing that intrigues me about Coach Cal is how he adapts to his team each year. Two years ago he played a post heavy offense, last year was a pick and roll/handoff team, and this year...well I dunno. They can run and they can shoot. A lot of coaches will recruit for their system, Coach Cal seems to play whatever style fits the guys he has.

With Miller, Lamb and co. they're gonna shoot lights out from 3. I think Jones might be the best player in the nation, and I'm not real sure about the fresh. Gilchrist is a stud though. I'm not sure how they'll be able to defend a bruiser down low if Terrence Jones gets in foul trouble, but I guess we'll see.

I know he gets a lot of hate, but you can't deny that Calipari has his guys playing their best ball in March.

Scrap Irony
11-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I know he gets a lot of hate, but you can't deny that Calipari has his guys playing their best ball in March.

Jay Bilas said he was among the best three or four coaches in America (with K, Williams, and Izzo mentioned by name).

Bilas went on the say that Calipari's ability to work with his talent is not only unique among college coaches, but any coach in America. "What he's done," he said, "is truly remarkable."

Calipari doesn't get enough credit for his coaching ability, even among Kentucky fans, who think he does no wrong.

Scrap Irony
11-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Anthony Davis remind anyone else of Sam Bowie?

WVRed
11-08-2011, 11:43 PM
The only problem I see with the UK UNC matchups is that Gilchrist has basically been assured a starting spot. Also see UNC's lineup being different than the one you laid out

My take:

PG-Marshall > Teague *

I'm projecting the December matchup, but come March this one could be equal or flip in UK's favor. The only reason I give Kendall Marshall the edge right now is a year more experience. Cal gets the most out of his PG's come March and Teague IMO profiles more as a Rajon Rondo than any PG UK has had (and Rondo isn't a Cal product). His job will be defense and distributing the ball, and I think Teague will be perfect in that role.

SG-Lamb > Strickland

I think Lamb beats out Miller for the other starting spot, but Lamb gets this nod based on shooting ability alone.

SF-Barnes > Kidd-Gilchrist*

This one also could be equal come March. Barnes is better right now, but MKG could be on par with him when all is said and done.

PF-Jones > Henson

Henson's size and length makes this a tough call, but Terrence Jones' all around game gives him the edge.

C-Davis = Zeller

Pretty much the same thing you said.

Bench: UNC. UK will only run about eight deep with Vargas, Lamb/Miller, and Wiltjer getting most of the minutes. UNC has a deeper lineup that can provide a lot of different looks, especially with Reggie Bullock and PJ Hairston both as capable shooters if needed. McAdoo is probably a serious sixth man of the year candidate. Leslie McDonald is out for the season too.

Coaching: Equal.

5TimeWSChamps
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Poythress to UK

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

WMR
11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Kentucky, Mr. Poythress. :D

jmac
11-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Got this update on the recruiting rank as part of this addition.:
The addition of Poythress will move the Cats up to No. 2 in Scout.com’s class rankings behind Arizona. Add a couple more big names (and they’re out there) and Kentucky will claim the top spot for the fourth year in a row.

WMR
11-11-2011, 06:02 AM
So I saw we passed Indiana in the 2012 class rankings... That seems impossible, I thought they guaranteed they were beating us in recruiting this year?

Razor Shines
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM
So I saw we passed Indiana in the 2012 class rankings... That seems impossible, I thought they guaranteed they were beating us in recruiting this year?

Well I don't know who guaranteed it but rivals still lists IU as #2. Espn lists IU as 8. Whatever the players are the same and they're good that's all I really care about.

WMR
11-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Well I don't know who guaranteed it but rivals still lists IU as #2. Espn lists IU as 8. Whatever the players are the same and they're good that's all I really care about.

;)

WVRed
11-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, but Terrence Jones and Stacey Poole were in a car accident at 2 AM this morning. A friend of TJ's from Portland was driving and a drunk driver hit their car, with the UK players only sustaining minor injuries.

WLEX also says according to sources that Jones was "slightly" under the influence:

http://www.lex18.com/news/questions-remain-about-crash-involving-uk-players/

With the beatdown of Morehouse earlier this week and the commitment of Poythress, this really isn't news that I wanted to hear before we tip off the season tonight.

WVRed
11-11-2011, 10:20 PM
First half was pretty close, second half not so much. UK wins 108-58.

I'm more excited about this team than Cal's first team at Kentucky, and that is saying a lot. Davis and MKG are game changers, added in with what Kentucky has coming back.

WMR
11-13-2011, 05:41 AM
I have to admit, I think we've got a great shot to make it back to the Final Four. Kidd-Gilchrist and Anthony Davis are simply talents that one doesn't see every day. This team's ceiling is sky high.

jmac
11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree with WV, I think this team will be better than Cal's first team by the end of the season. Doesnt mean they will have a better record but I really like the look of this team.
Also when Davis has his arms extended, he looks like he is 9' tall. :D (not sure what his wingspan is technically)

5TimeWSChamps
11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Poole is gone

www.coachcal.com/8372/2011/11/best-wishes-to-stacey-poole/

Hoosier Red
11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
:D
I have to admit, I think we've got a great shot to make it back to the Final Four. Kidd-Gilchrist and Anthony Davis are simply talents that one doesn't see every day. This team's ceiling is sky high.

That's odd. You're usually so dour and pessimistic when it comes to UK Basketball.
:D

As someone who only sees it from the outside, they look like a team that can be really really good.

jmac
11-14-2011, 09:45 PM

True and maybe after the NBA thing settles, we will see them next year too. :D

WVRed
11-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Poole is gone

www.coachcal.com/8372/2011/11/best-wishes-to-stacey-poole/

Needed to happen IMO. I really don't think Poole was cut out to be at Kentucky. He was a raw project but with Liggins/Miller his freshman year, Miller/MKG this year, and Poythress/Goodwin/Muhammad? the following I don't think he would have seen the floor. I could see a school offering him a scholarship to try to get his brother, Solomon Poole.

As someone who only sees it from the outside, they look like a team that can be really really good.

I really don't see any glaring weaknesses with this team, outside of youth.

The 2010 team lacked a consistent three point shooter and veteran leadership (Jodie Meeks). Watch the WVU game again if you need proof of this.

The 2011 team basically ran seven deep and while young, played much more mature than the 2010 team. The depth did them in against UConn.

This year, they run eight deep but present so many different matchup problems:

If you zone or double team Jones or Davis, Lamb and Miller can shoot the lights out.

Davis's passing ability underneath will allow for violent backdoor cuts, especially in the form of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Teague can change speeds at ease and blow by his defender.

UK will likely only run eight deep but with Wiltjer who is basically playing as a Euro big to spot Jones and Davis and Lamb/Miller/MKG sharing minutes they should be well rested and present different matchup problems.

I'll also say that Doron Lamb is extremely underrated as a combo guard, but using him at the point takes away his biggest strength in shooting.

If you're a UK fan (even if you're not), how do you defend this years team?

WMR
11-14-2011, 11:14 PM
You can always have a cold night and get beat by a hot-shooting team.

However, I really can't wait to see what they look like once Cal has them fully clicking in February/March.

gilpdawg
11-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Anthony Davis remind anyone else of Sam Bowie?

For your sake, I hope he has better tibias.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Scrap Irony
11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't care one way or another-- my team is Western Kentucky University.

Unfortunately, no one wants to talk Topper basketball. (They lost to St. Joe's, but have a remarkably young team who struggled early on the way to coming back, then hitting the proverbial brick wall. But the youngsters look fairly talented, especially Vinny Zollo, who almost had a double-double in just a few minutes.

Hoosier Red
11-15-2011, 03:27 PM
If you're a UK fan (even if you're not), how do you defend this years team?

In my experience, fans don't play very good defense. :p

WMR
11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Scrap's not a UK fan, he just graciously lends us his expert opinion. ;)

Scrap Irony
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
In my experience, fans don't play very good defense. :p

*Snort*

Defending Kentucky wouldn't be that hard.

Pressure Teague relentlessly, play the passing lanes, body Lamb, Miller, Davis and/or Wiltjer underneath and deny on the wing, allow Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague the open jumper, but deny Lamb and Miller.

Accomplishing that may prove difficult, but they're young, remember. Panic, poor shot selection, turnovers, and bad shooting nights are second-nature to many freshmen. Kansas might have enough horses tonight, in fact, to really pressure Teague and hope for a poor night shooting from Lamb and Miller.

5TimeWSChamps
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
https://p.twimg.com/AeUwAopCEAAKKF1.jpg

LOL

WVRed
11-16-2011, 12:10 AM
28-28 at half.

I think Kentucky wins this game. Cal will be in their heads at halftime and UK is the more talented team. They just need to play more in control, especially Teague.

WMR
11-16-2011, 12:44 AM
This team is going to end up being scary good. Vitale is right, they will simply blow a lot of teams out.

WMR
11-16-2011, 01:17 AM

UK moves to 20-6 all-time versus Kansas.

jmac
11-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I had thought about putting this question out there after the Kansas game but didnt. Then I read an online article today and thought I would get some feedback. The article basically talks on the "3 Goggles" and Vitale's disdain for them the other night.
Here's my thoughts. I enjoy the college game and think the players should be allowed to have fun. It always bothered me how the NFL guys who get paid...can do almost anything they want after a TD but college kids have to "watch" how they celebrate. As far as college basketball, I dont mind the 3 goggles at all. First it is clear, that KY isnt the only team that does it. Yes, even Vitale's Dukies have done it. Maybe Vitale gripes on the other games as well because I try to tune him out most of the time.
I googled "3 goggles images" and scrolled thru 7 pages before I got an actual UK player doing this while the first 6 are filled with many other players doing this. So yes many players/teams do this. Because of that, I dont mind and think it is a good way for the kids to have fun on the court.
There is one thing though that I was wanting to see if others view this like me. That is all this laughing that goes on. Seems like this just started a few years ago and has really taken off. That stuff bothers me more than Goggles-fist pump after a shot etc. Growing up, I never seen guys like Bird-Barkley-Ewing or any of them start laughing and grinning real big after shots. They just turned and ran down the floor. Again, most all teams like doing this now. Maybe others dont feel this way but here is the vibe it gives me : The other night, the first player I noticed was a Kansas player after one of their early dunks. My first impression was the guy was "saying"... 'these guys arent so tough' and I thought just wait buddy and you'll see how tough we are. Of course, later UK done it as well. Lamb seems to do it more than most with Teague appearing he will as well. It seems like that is more showing up than 3 goggles.
That is one part of the game where I wish they would just turn and go play defense.
I think UK and other teams that are good enough, can and should have a swagger. I feel the 3 Goggles adds a swagger and doesnt bother me. Chest bumping and fist pumping dont bother me as it really isnt directed at a certain player( most of the time)
I just wish the players would skip the laughing/grinning after shots etc.
Anyone else have ideas or thoughts on this from a UK perspective.

jmac
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
This team is going to end up being scary good. Vitale is right, they will simply blow a lot of teams out.

Yeah and the funny part was them talking of the UK-UNC game. One of them said on a neutral floor, he would favor UNC. Maybe but this team will only get better by seasons end. Not saying they are unbeatable because I am sure they will lose a few. But UK can be the "one to beat" by tourney time.

BTW...did anyone ever hear why KW didnt play much the other night. Injured ? in doghouse ? Just Cal not using him ? I never heard.

cumberlandreds
11-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah and the funny part was them talking of the UK-UNC game. One of them said on a neutral floor, he would favor UNC. Maybe but this team will only get better by seasons end. Not saying they are unbeatable because I am sure they will lose a few. But UK can be the "one to beat" by tourney time.

BTW...did anyone ever hear why KW didnt play much the other night. Injured ? in doghouse ? Just Cal not using him ? I never heard.

Not heard anything offcially. But I suspect Wiltjer isn't very good at all defensively and Cal has said he's not aggressive enough inside. I think someone from Kansas beat him to the basket soon after he entered the game in the 1st half. He went straight back to the bench after that and didn't get back in until late in the game.

The 3 goggle bit doesn't bother me at all. I kinda like that and think its pretty good. The posing after a shot is what I don't like. Jones and quite a few others around do this. You don't need to flex your muscles or body after a made shot or dunk. Just get back on defense.

WVRed
11-17-2011, 03:51 PM
UK started doing the three goggles last year, but they weren't the first team to start doing it. The Portland Trail Blazers are the ones who hold that distinction.

I don't think we need to give teams any more reason to hate us, but my problem with Dickie V is that he jumps UK for showboating but gushes over other players who do the same or are more obnoxious (Joakim Noah). As long as Terrence Jones doesn't start wearing a dress around campus and directing the marching band, I don't see any problems.

It's simple really if you're playing Kentucky, stop them from dunking and making webgem plays, and you won't see the showboating anymore. I grew up in Kentucky and there were some HS coaches who absolutely hated dunking. If somebody dunked on you, you took them out.

WMR
11-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Enjoyed reading this...

The Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball team, representing the University of Kentucky, is the winningest in the history of college basketball, both in all-time wins and all-time winning percentage. Kentucky's all-time record currently stands at 2054–647 (.760). Kentucky also leads all schools in total NCAA tournament appearances with 51, is tied with North Carolina in NCAA tournament wins with 105, and ranks second to UCLA in NCAA championships with 7. In addition to these titles, Kentucky also has won the National Invitation Tournament in both 1946 and 1976. (Kentucky is the only school to win multiple NCAA and NIT titles.) The Wildcats have played in a record 51 NCAA tournaments, in a record 151 NCAA tournament games, have an NCAA record 42 Sweet-16 appearances, and an NCAA record 33 Elite-8 appearances. Further, Kentucky has played in 14 Final Fours (4th place all time), and has 10 NCAA championship game appearances (tied for second place all time with Duke), winning 7 NCAA championships (second only to UCLA all time). Kentucky is the only school with four different NCAA championship coaches (Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Smith).

WMR
11-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Prophetic words.

WMR
11-18-2011, 04:26 AM

His defense was not ready for that game. Cal will not play you if you cannot guard your man. I think he is a 3 year player for us at least.

WMR
11-18-2011, 04:29 AM
I had thought about putting this question out there after the Kansas game but didnt. Then I read an online article today and thought I would get some feedback. The article basically talks on the "3 Goggles" and Vitale's disdain for them the other night.
Here's my thoughts. I enjoy the college game and think the players should be allowed to have fun. It always bothered me how the NFL guys who get paid...can do almost anything they want after a TD but college kids have to "watch" how they celebrate. As far as college basketball, I dont mind the 3 goggles at all. First it is clear, that KY isnt the only team that does it. Yes, even Vitale's Dukies have done it. Maybe Vitale gripes on the other games as well because I try to tune him out most of the time.
I googled "3 goggles images" and scrolled thru 7 pages before I got an actual UK player doing this while the first 6 are filled with many other players doing this. So yes many players/teams do this. Because of that, I dont mind and think it is a good way for the kids to have fun on the court.
There is one thing though that I was wanting to see if others view this like me. That is all this laughing that goes on. Seems like this just started a few years ago and has really taken off. That stuff bothers me more than Goggles-fist pump after a shot etc. Growing up, I never seen guys like Bird-Barkley-Ewing or any of them start laughing and grinning real big after shots. They just turned and ran down the floor. Again, most all teams like doing this now. Maybe others dont feel this way but here is the vibe it gives me : The other night, the first player I noticed was a Kansas player after one of their early dunks. My first impression was the guy was "saying"... 'these guys arent so tough' and I thought just wait buddy and you'll see how tough we are. Of course, later UK done it as well. Lamb seems to do it more than most with Teague appearing he will as well. It seems like that is more showing up than 3 goggles.
That is one part of the game where I wish they would just turn and go play defense.
I think UK and other teams that are good enough, can and should have a swagger. I feel the 3 Goggles adds a swagger and doesnt bother me. Chest bumping and fist pumping dont bother me as it really isnt directed at a certain player( most of the time)
I just wish the players would skip the laughing/grinning after shots etc.
Anyone else have ideas or thoughts on this from a UK perspective.

You know what I say if other teams don't like it? GOOD. Stop it if you don't like it. This team has a swagger and it really reminds me of how the 96 team played the game... Not ready to predict the same outcome though. :D

(BTW: If it was a Dookie slapping the floor or acting a fool, Dick would not have said a WORD. He has sat by and watched the same thing or worse at DUKE games.)

jmac
11-18-2011, 10:58 AM
You know what I say if other teams don't like it? GOOD. Stop it if you don't like it. This team has a swagger and it really reminds me of how the 96 team played the game... Not ready to predict the same outcome though. :D

(BTW: If it was a Dookie slapping the floor or acting a fool, Dick would not have said a WORD. He has sat by and watched the same thing or worse at DUKE games.)

Agree completely !

WVRed
11-20-2011, 12:54 AM
UK won against Penn State 85-47. Led 45-17 at halftime. No Crispin brothers to bail them out.

Doron Lamb had a big game with 26 points, but Wiltjer had a coming out party with 19 points after only playing three minutes against Kansas. This time, UK went 10-20 from three instead of dunking the ball at will.

Kentucky plays Old Dominion tomorrow at noon on ESPNU.

jmac
11-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Good win today. The quick whistles in second half gave Davis a cheapie or two but it was probably needed overall the way ODU was trying to push UK's buttons. I'm sure the guys are glad to get home. Go Big Blue ! :)

gilpdawg
11-27-2011, 03:05 AM
UNC just lost to UNLV. They are going to be super up for the Kentucky game now.

5TimeWSChamps
11-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Scrap Irony
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Word is, Yahoo Sports has been sniffing around Lexington for six months with nothing to show.

Interesting, IMO, that:
1) the reputation is such that six months can be used to uncover information. (I wish my publishers were as patient for a story as Yahoo appears to be. Of course, it's a different world nowadays than it was then, too.)
2) absolutely nothing damaging was found, despite rumors and innuendo.

Is Calipari that much better at cheating than everyone else, or is he relatively clean?

jmac
11-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Looks like by most reports, the One and done wil be addressed under new agreement but at a later date and this year's freshman class will be allowed to leave if they choose.

Redhook
11-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Looks like by most reports, the One and done wil be addressed under new agreement but at a later date and this year's freshman class will be allowed to leave if they choose.

2 or 3 years? Any idea?

This would be great for college basketball like it is with football. I'm not sure it's fair to the athletes involved, but long term, it'd help a lot more than it'd hurt.

Scrap Irony
11-29-2011, 09:35 AM
It's completely unfair to the people involved, but would help the universities make money and the NBA with development.

So, of course, it will go through without much problem.

FWIW, it's a 2-year or 2-year-old plan.

jmac
11-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Here is one of Cal's quotes on the new "2 and thru" possible deal :
“You’re still recruiting every year,” Calipari said. “But you don’t have to recruit five or six [players]. You can get the best three or four kids a year and be in good shape.”

WVRed
12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
This is quoted from the Big East thread. Thought it fit better here:

Believe me, there are a lot of Card fans who would love for Ole Tricky Rick to be run out of town. The difference is Tom Jurich would NEVER hire Andy Kennedy.

Also, the only reason UofL isn't #1 in attendance is Frankfort wouldn't allow (help pay for) Louisville to build an arena with more seats than Rupp.

The only reason I find the latter part amusing is because UK is currently looking into renovating Rupp because it is cheaper than building a new facility.

Of course, Louisville built a state of the art facility but is doing everything possible (minus letting UK play there one game a year) to pay for it, namely attracting a NBA team.

If Pitino ever retires, I see Louisville making a run at Brad Stevens. If IU falls apart once conference play hits and Crean's job becomes in question, then they could have competition.

cumberlandreds
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Anyone watch last night? A pretty incredible defensive performance. 18 blocks with 8 of those by Davis. This team may turn out to be one of UK's best defensive teams of all time. They are already way ahead of last seasons team defensively. When the offense catches up they could be something else.
The big game is tomorrow, UNC. Who shoots the three the best may well win this game.

Hoosier Red
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Some praise from Basketball Prospectus.
http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=771

This year already looks like it will represent a return to the old Calipari ways on D. Opponents have managed just 0.77 points per possession, and no one’s scored a point per trip against UK. (Portland holds the current record: 0.91 points per possession in their 87-63 loss to the Cats in Lexington last Saturday. Eric Reveno, I salute you!) And as if to make things easy for you, the viewer of tomorrow’s game, Kentucky has concentrated all of their defensive excellence into just one category: defending shots. Everything else — rebounding, forcing turnovers, etc. — is just what you’d see from a normal team, but when it comes to forcing misses UK’s on another planet. This year opponents have made just 33 percent of their twos and 27 percent of their threes.

Give a lot of the credit for that first number to 6-10 freshman Anthony Davis, who’s blocking an absurd 17 percent of opponents’ twos during his minutes. Even better he’s doing it without fouling — this kid can be on the floor whenever Calipari wishes.

Puffy
12-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Anyone watch last night? A pretty incredible defensive performance. 18 blocks with 8 of those by Davis. This team may turn out to be one of UK's best defensive teams of all time. They are already way ahead of last seasons team defensively. When the offense catches up they could be something else.
The big game is tomorrow, UNC. Who shoots the three the best may well win this game.

Our best three point shooter (freshman PJ Hairston) is out after injuring wrist Wednesday against Wisconsin. So I doubt UNC will be much of a three shooting threat tomorrow.

Scrap Irony
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Henson's stronger than Davis and has more experience.

Zeller and Jones should come close to canceling each other out offensively.

Barnes and Miller/ Kidd-Gilchrist look about even at this point. (Though Barnes could go all Jerry Stackhouse on Sunday-- he just hasn't broken out yet.)

The PG match-up is between a guy that makes too many turnovers and another that can't guard or shoot. Call it a draw.

The question is that shooting guard spot. If Lamb is on-- even a little bit-- it could cause problems for Carolina.

However, I suspect Williams might move McAdoo into the game early as another big body, with Barnes sliding over to the two. (I love that lineup for UNC, as Barnes already handles the ball well enough to be a two, while the three-headed troika of McAdoo, Henson, and Zeller can all shoot well enough to nail the 15-footer. That means they'll have to be played honestly.) If that happens, it'll depend on who can make the shots.

WMR
12-02-2011, 01:49 PM
so...........

what team is Scrap predicting achieves victory tomorrow?

Puffy
12-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Well, I haven't watched any Kentucky games so far this year so I don't think I can comment on the match ups.

But, as for Carolina, I can give comments. Zeller has not played exceptionally well yet this year so that concerns me. He will turn it on, but when I have no idea. Henson has been exceptional. I mean off the charts. His growth since he was a freshman has been awesome to watch. Barnes is Barnes. He will put up between 16 and 22 every night and if he gets hot look out. He held Singler three times last year when he felt challenged so we could see him really step up his D tomorrow. Just something to look for. James Michael McAdoo is good. Real good. We don't lose anything when he enters game for either Henson or Zeller.

Strickland is best perimeter defender we have. Not much offensively in half court game but super fast in transition. And he can lock down. Marshall is better defender than you think. UNLV took him to school but he came back when matched up against Taylor. Kept him in front of him and used his help. Taylor was 6 of 20. Hairston is out and that hurts. Kid has range and is good rebounder. Bullock is coming on. Last year was really a lost year for him. He had problems with his shot, then got hurt for year. But he looks good now and he can shoot so he and Barnes are three ball threats to watch out for. That said, if they make 5 between them that would be a lot.

Again, I haven't saw any Kentucky games but I would expect them to collapse low on Henson, Zeller and then guard Barnes with Kidd-Gilcrest. If Barnes gets hot them I expect them to double him and dare Marshall and Dex to beat them. If Barnes doesn't get hot and MKG guards him one on one Carolina better hope post game can dominate/cause fouls trouble. I was confident that UNC would win this game coming into season. But, with way UNC has played so far this year, I am now leaning other way. I think on kentucky's home floor they win. Roy's UNC teams seem to peak late, not early. This team seems no different. Should be battle but Kentucky most likely wins.

5TimeWSChamps
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I think Hairston plays tomorrow.

My quick matchup breakdown:

Davis > Henson, Hes basically Henson with a more refined offensive game.
Jones > Zeller, Zeller's been struggling thus far, but if he "gets it" tomorrow, this could be flipped.
Barnes > MKG/Miller, Will be interesting to see if Barnes is assertive and drives or settles for jumpers like hes prone to do.
Lamb = Strickland
Marshall > Teague

Bench - Even, Not having Hairston helps Balance this out. While different players, McAdoo/Miller are both vital to the team.

Homecourt advantage will be the biggest factor in a 7 pt UK win

Scrap Irony
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
so...........

what team is Scrap predicting achieves victory tomorrow?

I don't know, honestly.

Kentucky hasn't been a great offensive team all year, save one game against Penn State. They have shooters that aren't shooting well. They have three legitimate 50% 3-point shooters on that team. Add in Jones, who's almost figured out what a good shot truly is and when to shoot and the Cats could put four guys on the court with an overall 3-point percentage north of one in two. What other team in America can say that?

That said, they just haven't shot well so far, and you have to think North Carolina's length and athleticism means that coming out party will wait at least one more game.

I also keep waiting for Barnes to truly become the player ESPN insists he already is. He's scoring at a decent clip, but he doesn't rebound or pass the ball (at all) and he doesn't block any shots or steal anything. Yet. Basically, he's been Doron Lamb with a bit more length. And he's better than that. A lot better, IMO.

Same thing with Zeller. With Henson being so much better, I would have though Zeller would have made a living at the elbow of the lane or even as a secondary post-up player (as Henson makes some great passes out of double teams). He's really struggled in that area.

If Carolina goes big, I think they'll be able to push Kentucky around a bit. (Davis just doesn't get very low, and, IMO, never will.) If that happens, it'll be interesting to see how Kentucky responds.

I vacillate, but, right now, I think I like Carolina by four, 76-72. UK goes under 40% for the night shooting, while Reggie Bullock gets hot and scores 15+ on deep threes. Cal's first loss at Rupp.

WVRed
12-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Some thoughts:

1. While I think UNC could run four bigs as Scrap said, I could see Kentucky countering with a small lineup of Teague, Lamb, MKG, Miller, and Jones. It creates mismatches, but mismatches slice both ways. Cal went small last year during a pivotal point in the game and Henson picked up his fourth foul on a three point play by Darius Miller.

2. I know this won't happen (at least during by Kentucky), but I would like to see a team run a 1-3-1 zone against UNC. The zone negates Kendall Marshall's passing ability and shuts down the post players, forcing Barnes, Bullock, and the like to beat you from three. Unlike UNC teams of the past, I don't see anybody who can consistently shoot. Hairston is the best option and he is out for this game.

3. As much as the home court advantage is mentioned, I think revenge is what will be on the mind of UNC players. It won't erase getting to the Final Four, but I'm sure the UNC players wouldn't mind knocking off UK in Rupp as a consolation prize.

4. I'm going with Dickie V's prediction, 74-71 Cats. If UNC shows they can hit the three, that changes.

5. This will be the final game of the UK-UNC regular season rivalry. The contract is up and UK is looking to balance their schedule with going to Louisville, another Big East school, and playing neutral site games against Maryland and Duke next season. UK is supposedly looking to add either Kansas, Arizona, Texas, or WVU, according to KSR.

WVRed
12-03-2011, 11:57 AM
One hour til gametime. Can't wait. :)

WVRed
12-03-2011, 02:02 PM
UNC is hitting the three well, 6-9 from deep. Hairston is playing and has two of them.

UK really needs to clamp down on perimeter defense and get Lamb and Davis more involved or its going to be a loss. Hopefully they come out like they did against Kansas.

TeamSelig
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow this game is reminding me of the UK/WVU game where they refused to miss a 3PT shot

dabvu2498
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Pretty much as good a game as you'll ever see in early December.

WVRed
12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Pretty much as good a game as you'll ever see in early December.

No doubt. I'd be interested in hearing Ole Roy's comments after the game. Judging by the reaction by the UNC players, they thought Henson was fouled by Davis instead of it being a clean block. UNC had enough time to foul and make UK beat them from the foul line, instead stood around as UK ran out the clock. One of the wildest finishes I can ever remember.

Scrap Irony
12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Roy Williams is a class act. His presser should be shown to all prospective big-time coaches (and high school coaches and lower level coaches) on how to react after a tough loss.

"I like my team's effort, I like my team, but I'm disappointed in the outcome of this game."

I thought Zeller was fouled at the end, but Davis was absolutely clean on Henson. The game as a whole, I thought, was played hard, but clean. Neither team wolfed too much. Both teams got some breaks. Kentucky's shooting will get better (though it did get much better after the first half). North Carolina's defense will get better (though I thought it was good pretty much throughout the game).

Four Kentucky players in double figures. The biggest of those were the 17 for Kidd-Gilchrist, who canceled out Barnes, and Lamb's late, long heroics. Miller also played remarkably well off the bench as well. No one in the country is as good as he is off the bench. It's phenomenal 1) that he's willing to do it with no ego bruising, and, 2) that other teams don't key on him. When Miller comes in, the offense goes through him. He's the de-facto UK PG at this point.

Speaking of guards, Carolina's certainly proved me wrong. They all shot well. Really, really well from 3-point range. Hairston played very well, as did Bullock. (Were I Williams, I don't know if I could continue to play both Strickland and Marshall at the same time. The ability to stretch defenses will be key as they continue through to March. It would also give lanes to Barnes (who still refuses to drive to the hoop) and open area for Henson and Zeller to work (both of whom could then rebound better with fewer people around.

I think these two teams, along with Ohio State, are without a doubt the best in the country. Syracuse is decent, Florida is okay, Duke is alright. Louisville could surprise, as all these injuries could help a ton later. UConn I haven't seen, so I'll reserve judgment.

jmac
12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I think the game was well played and both teams seem to play with respect for each other.
Out of the teams I have seen so far (which isnt all of the top 25), it does also appear to me that UK-UNC-Ohio State are in a totally different tier from the rest. Not saying one of these cant be beat as UNC was last week, but it would take a super effort by another team if these teams bring it on that night.

WMR
12-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Glad Scrap's prediction was wrong. :D

Always feels good to beat UNC. Could definitely see these two teams meeting again. I feel like our ceiling is much higher than theirs, however.

The fact that they went absolutely bonkers from 3 pt range and we still beat them is telling.

RiverRat13
12-04-2011, 12:35 AM
The fact that they went absolutely bonkers from 3 pt range and we still beat them is telling.

I could just as easily say the fact that UK only beat UNC by one at home when Harrison Barnes was in silly foul trouble is telling.

Roy has to find Hairston and Bullock more minutes.

Great game played at a very high level.

WVRed
12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't have anything with UNC either way, but I kinda wonder if Zeller is the byproduct of unrealistic expectations. He followed one of the most successful big men to wear a UNC uniform in Tyler Hansbrough. Don't get me wrong, he is one of the best post players in the game, but I kinda wonder if its good enough for UNC fans.

I thought the game was called pretty fairly compared to last year in Chapel Hill, where UK had four players foul out. If anything, the refs let the players play. Kinda surprised me given Tony Greene was one of the officials.

What is really scary about UK right now is that this team offensively is still a work in progress. By midseason or into SEC play is when they start performing at peak level, the offense will be much better in sync and they will score more consistenly. Hopefully by then the perimeter defense will make improvements as well.

UK's biggest problem going forward is going to be offensive consistency and being tested in a true road game, which could happen next Saturday at Indiana. I'm anxious to see how the Cats do in a SEC road game with SEC home cooking. A performance like yesterday in either Gainesville, Nashville, or even Starkville will result in a loss.

As for UNC, they are the "experienced" team but they have yet to play like it at times. The last possession where everybody stood around and let the clock run out because they were "shocked" that Henson was blocked was pretty telling. Still, UNC has a pretty strong ACC slate to grow from between now and March.

PedroBourbon
12-05-2011, 05:30 PM

I thought we were not aggressive at all in defending the 3 point shot. If a team gets on a streak like UNC did, that could be trouble down the road. Free throws also somewhat concerning but thought UK played well otherwise, especially being a very young team in a very anticipated game.

TeamSelig
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
This is great that it is really my only complaint with Cal teams....but why is it no team of his has ever been able to hit free throws consistently? Just devote a few minutes per practice to shoot FTs. Please?

WMR
12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I think he should hire Kyle Macy as free throw coach. :D

Brutus
12-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm very much looking forward to this game tomorrow. I think this matchup is one of the more underrated games in college basketball to this point in the season. The double-header of Kansas/Ohio State and Kentucky/Indiana is pure gold. Gold, Jerry. Gold.

For me, this game will tell us more about UK this year. Indiana is unranked, but I think they're one of the best 25 teams in the country at this point in the year despite not having beaten anyone of consequence. They're very balanced scoring the ball and have several perimeter shooters. Best of all, they don't rely on the jumper but try to get to the rim. They are thin inside, which is something I think Kentucky's length up front can exploit, but this is the biggest home game they've had in Bloomington in arguably many, many years. It will be absolutely jacked up.

Brutus
12-09-2011, 08:29 PM
*double post

WVRed
12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't believe in bashing collegiate players, but I do wonder where Terrence Jones was at tonight. I've never seen a player look so lost in a game.

A lot of fans are already piling on him for this loss (among other things). I just wonder if there is something going on personal with TJ to have such a horrible game.

WMR
12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form did UK deserve to win that game. If we had somehow emerged with a W, I would have felt like we stole it from the Hoosiers.

Something has got to be up with T. Jones. He was not himself at all.

The officials made some real head scratchers, but that is only in line with our history at Assembly Hall. The travel on MGK was especially egregious. They also ignored a clear foul on Lamb in favor of Davis.

Overall, I hope this result will pay positive results for UK deep into March.

Congrats Hoosiers. Don't worry, I won't welch on MY bet. ;)