PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Gabbert

Sea Ray
04-21-2011, 11:30 AM
First it was Bengals.com writer Hobson, now it's Boomer and Collinsworth who all say Blaine Gabbert is the guy the Bengals will pick in the 1st rd one week from today. Boomer also slams the organization here. What did the Bengals ever do to Boomer anyway?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-21/boomer-esiason-warns-blaine-gabbert-about-perils-of-bengals-organization

What do you folks think about Gabbert as the Bengals "guy"?

medford
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure its "what did the Bengals do to Boomer" (well other than draft his replacement near the top of the draft, despite Boomer having several good seasons left in him, but more of a realistic approach to this organization. The limited scouting services, the history of skimpping on the fringe benefits that don't make a difference on the field, but definently get noticed by potential free agents and thru word of mouth from one player to another, the lack of any semblance of a plan, the Bengals are a mess starting at the top.

It was great to see Marvin come in and it seems like he had a real impact on changing the culture of the organization for a while. They spent money to upgrade little things in the weight rooms, did more for the the players, etc... but once Mike threw Marvin under the bus when he brought Chris Henry back, it seems like Marvin stopped caring as much. How many other organizations would have kept Marvin after last season? None that I know of, the team is going backwards. I'd love to see Marvin in a HC role somewhere else, to see what he could do with better organizational support.

Puffy
04-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I hear that Gruden is in love with Dalton so it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals went another direction at 4 and then trade back into first round for Andy.

Just food for thought.....

WVRed
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I hear that Gruden is in love with Dalton so it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals went another direction at 4 and then trade back into first round for Andy.

I heard the same thing.

What is going to be interesting is that three other teams have been linked to Andy Dalton, the Patriots, Colts, and Saints. Ironically enough, the three teams whose QB's are leading the lawsuit.

Gabbert seems to me like a Carson Palmer clone. Am I wrong?

Boss-Hog
04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Gabbert seems to me like a Carson Palmer clone. Am I wrong?

Completely different style players coming out of college, mostly due to the offenses their schools ran. Also, Palmer was definitely higher rated than Gabbert.

Sea Ray
04-21-2011, 12:45 PM

If Gabbert is their guy then they'll stay at #4. Mike Brown doesn't play games like you describe. If he did, he'd have done that in 1999 and drafted Akili Smith later. In this case, teams may trade up to get Gabbert

Puffy
04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
If Gabbert is their guy then they'll stay at #4. Mike Brown doesn't play games like you describe. If he did, he'd have done that in 1999 and drafted Akili Smith later. In this case, teams may trade up to get Gabbert

I never said they wouldn't stay at 4 and what "game" am I describing?

I said that Gruden loves Dalton too - so they might draft someone else at 4 and then trade back into 1st round for their second first round pick and take Dalton instead of taking Gabbert at 4 and hoping for someone with their 2nd round pick. No games.

Hoosier Red
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure its "what did the Bengals do to Boomer" (well other than draft his replacement near the top of the draft, despite Boomer having several good seasons left in him, but more of a realistic approach to this organization. The limited scouting services, the history of skimpping on the fringe benefits that don't make a difference on the field, but definently get noticed by potential free agents and thru word of mouth from one player to another, the lack of any semblance of a plan, the Bengals are a mess starting at the top.

Actually I think that was at his request. In the midst of the Carson Palmer thing, there was the story that Boomer demanded out prior to the 92 draft, Mike Brown asked him to wait one year, drafted Klingler, and then accomodated his wishes sending him not only to his hometown, but to his favorite coach.

That said, I think its refreshing that Boomer speaks his mind the way that he does. This isn't a personal attack, it's just his opinion. Right, wrong, or indifferent he's making his points without letting personal feelings toward an organization bias his views.

RedsBaron
04-21-2011, 02:17 PM

I said that Gruden loves Dalton too - so they might draft someone else at 4 and then trade back into 1st round for their second first round pick and take Dalton instead of taking Gabbert at 4 and hoping for someone with their 2nd round pick. No games.

I've thought about that as well.
Full disclosure: I have absolutely no qualifications to be the GM of a NFL team.....hmmm...maybe that means the Bengals will hire me. :)
That said, if Gruden loves Andy Dalton, a possible smart move could be for the Bengals to trade Carson Palmer (and something else if necessary) to a team needing a veteran QB, such as the Titans(#8 pick), Redskins (#10) or Vikings (#12). The Bengals could then probably grab both a wide receiver they need such as Julio Jones or A.J. Green, and also later grab Dalton. I don't know if Palmer could bring a number one, even if the Bengals threw in some other draft picks, but I can dream.
I just got this week's SI. For what it is worth, Peter King loves Dalton. He has projected that the Titans, 49ers, and Vikings should all draft Dalton but expects him to fall to Miami at #15. He predicts the Bengals will draft Gabbert but says they should draft Julio Jones.

Mario-Rijo
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Problem seems to be that there is some uneasiness with whether or not these QB's will be there at the top of the 2nd. N.E. is sending out signals that if you want a QB at the top of the 2nd you better come get their pick.

bucksfan2
04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Full disclosure: I have absolutely no qualifications to be the GM of a NFL team.....hmmm...maybe that means the Bengals will hire me. :)
That said, if Gruden loves Andy Dalton, a possible smart move could be for the Bengals to trade Carson Palmer (and something else if necessary) to a team needing a veteran QB, such as the Titans(#8 pick), Redskins (#10) or Vikings (#12). The Bengals could then probably grab both a wide receiver they need such as Julio Jones or A.J. Green, and also later grab Dalton. I don't know if Palmer could bring a number one, even if the Bengals threw in some other draft picks, but I can dream.
I just got this week's SI. For what it is worth, Peter King loves Dalton. He has projected that the Titans, 49ers, and Vikings should all draft Dalton but expects him to fall to Miami at #15. He predicts the Bengals will draft Gabbert but says they should draft Julio Jones.

If you were the Titans would you give up a first round pick for Palmer? After watching him play over the past few years I wouldn't. If the Bengals really like Dalton then I would draft whomever I though was the best player available at 4 and then trade up to get him in the first round.

It appears as if there will be quite a few QB's to go early in the draft. I originally thought the Reds could get a nice QB with their 2nd round pick but it doesn't appear that way. And the Pats are holding their early 2nd round pick ransom for whoever wants to take one of the remaining QB's.

My last option is just to draft Dalton with the 4th pick. If he is the QB you like the best then why not take him? Its one thing I hate about the slotting system. Take the guy who you like, don't worry about draft him too early or missing out on him because he didn't project to go in slot X.

Sea Ray
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM

The "game" is trading something to get into a position to get Gabbert. I disagree with you that if they want Gabbert they'll stay at 4 and draft someone else. My point is if they decide Gabbert is their guy then they'll take him at #4

Sea Ray
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM

It's my understanding that no players (like Carson Palmer) can be traded. The NFL doesn't do "Players to be named later" like baseball so forget any trades before the 2011 draft that include Carson

Puffy
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
The "game" is trading something to get into a position to get Gabbert. I disagree with you that if they want Gabbert they'll stay at 4 and draft someone else. My point is if they decide Gabbert is their guy then they'll take him at #4

Again - I stated that they would REMAIN at 4. Then they would draft AJ Green or someone of that stature and then trade BACK into the first round to try and get DALTON.

Seriously, I've stated that 3 times now and everyone understood it but you. Its only what I read from Peter King and then someone's twitter so it might have no legs at all. Its just common knowledge that Gruden likes Dalton a lot. And that Dalton is moving up fast on some teams draft boards.

LoganBuck
04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Again - I stated that they would REMAIN at 4. Then they would draft AJ Green or someone of that stature and then trade BACK into the first round to try and get DALTON.

Seriously, I've stated that 3 times now and everyone understood it but you. Its only what I read from Peter King and then someone's twitter so it might have no legs at all. Its just common knowledge that Gruden likes Dalton a lot. And that Dalton is moving up fast on some teams draft boards.

Peter King has a good track record with the Bengals intentions. If he says it, it generally is rooted in info leaked from the Bengals directly.

Sea Ray
04-21-2011, 04:39 PM

We'll see if you're right. If they end up with Dalton, we heard it here first. I heard you. I just think you're wrong that's all. But if Dalton's wearing Bengal stripes this year I'll give you kudos. I always do

Puffy
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
We'll see if you're right. If they end up with Dalton, we heard it here first. I heard you. I just think you're wrong that's all. But if Dalton's wearing Bengal stripes this year I'll give you kudos. I always do

Whoa - I'm a Giant fan, my insight into the Bengals is small. I am just offering what Peter King has heard and I believe Adam Schefter too.

I don't need credit or kudos or anything as I am just quoting two separate reporters.

Sea Ray
04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Whoa - I'm a Giant fan, my insight into the Bengals is small. I am just offering what Peter King has heard and I believe Adam Schefter too.

I don't need credit or kudos or anything as I am just quoting two separate reporters.

None of us know anything. All we can do is report what we hear and where we heard it. I hadn't heard that King report (thanks :thumbup: ) but I don't think he knows his Bengals stuff. In fact I think he's very anti-Bengals but one week to go us football fans are thirsting for whatever we can gather

LoganBuck
04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
None of us know anything. All we can do is report what we hear and where we heard it. I hadn't heard that King report (thanks :thumbup: ) but I don't think he knows his Bengals stuff. In fact I think he's very anti-Bengals but one week to go us football fans are thirsting for whatever we can gather

King knows his Bengals stuff, he is just another guy that doesn't like how they do business. Same can be said about Esiason, Collinsworth, Thornton, etc, etc, etc.....

Dave Lapham occasionally lets it fly on the Bengals as well. These guys have every right to be angry at them.

Chip R
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Found an interesting article on Gabbert

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-carpenter_memory_improves_gabbert_stock_041911

Redhook
04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Bengals, just say no to Gabbert.

MikeThierry
04-22-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm a Mizzou fan and have watched Gabbert for years. The only thing I'm concerned about is that when he is rushed, he tends to get happy feet and doesn't react well. His foot work needs some brushing up as well.

That said, I think those things can be fixed. He is very accurate and will do will if there is an established receiver corp. If you look at his stats when Denario Alexander was on the Mizzoue team, he was off the charts. However, if he goes to a team that is shaky at the receiver position, it is going to take a couple of years to develop into a decent to good NFL quarterback. Some guys just have it. Sam Bradford, for example, was good from day one. Gabbert though is a project but I see him potentially being a better QB, in the long run, than many of the QB's in this draft.

His intelligence is also a plus. I know you have to take the wonderlic with a grain of salt but if his score is any indication (42), the guy will be able to get a playbook under his belt relatively quickly. As a previous link stated, the guy has almost photographic memory. To give you an indication, Sam Bradford scored a 36 on his wonderlic and that is considered amazing. I'm not saying that the Wonderlic is the end all but it is a good indication of intelligence and a players ability to logically assess a given situation.

On a whole, don't expect too much from Gabbert in the first and second year. However, he has tons of upside and I think he will be successful in the next level.

By the way, the other positive is that this guy is a boyscout off the field. He isn't a Ryan Mallet type personality away from the football field.

Mario-Rijo
04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm a Mizzou fan and have watched Gabbert for years. The only thing I'm concerned about is that when he is rushed, he tends to get happy feet and doesn't react well. His foot work needs some brushing up as well.

That said, I think those things can be fixed. He is very accurate and will do will if there is an established receiver corp. If you look at his stats when Denario Alexander was on the Mizzoue team, he was off the charts. However, if he goes to a team that is shaky at the receiver position, it is going to take a couple of years to develop into a decent to good NFL quarterback. Some guys just have it. Sam Bradford, for example, was good from day one. Gabbert though is a project but I see him potentially being a better QB, in the long run, than many of the QB's in this draft.

His intelligence is also a plus. I know you have to take the wonderlic with a grain of salt but if his score is any indication (42), the guy will be able to get a playbook under his belt relatively quickly. As a previous link stated, the guy has almost photographic memory. To give you an indication, Sam Bradford scored a 36 on his wonderlic and that is considered amazing. I'm not saying that the Wonderlic is the end all but it is a good indication of intelligence and a players ability to logically assess a given situation.

On a whole, don't expect too much from Gabbert in the first and second year. However, he has tons of upside and I think he will be successful in the next level.

By the way, the other positive is that this guy is a boyscout off the field. He isn't a Ryan Mallet type personality away from the football field.

With all due respect you can't fix yella. If that is what he is then he will not be very successful. I have heard this before and just not sure what to make of it other than being scared and that is at the college level.

IslandRed
04-22-2011, 11:36 AM
With all due respect you can't fix yella. If that is what he is then he will not be very successful. I have heard this before and just not sure what to make of it other than being scared and that is at the college level.

I suppose that's possible, but it's just one explanation. Lots of college QBs pull the ball down and try to escape when they're being rushed, but most often, they're just trying to make a play, as opposed to throwing it away and taking the hit. The wisdom of the latter choice often doesn't sink in until the NFL, after they've discovered it's very difficult to escape.

MikeThierry
04-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Completely disagree with that. There are several successful QB's that needed footwork when coming into the NFL. Heck, even seeing Bradford this year, there was a considerable difference between his footwork from the beginning of the season and towards the end. It is something that can be fixed with a year or two of NFL experience under his belt.

I personally think the most important thing, starting out, for a QB is the mental ability to grasp the game. Gabbert clearly has that. The rest of stuff will come with time with him.

kaldaniels
04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I ask this for education, so feel free to inform me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=381364

I'm not looking at his name, just his numbers...it just doesn't jump out to me that this guy is a top-5 pick. What am I missing?

And I ask this seriously, I've never seen the guy play.

Mario-Rijo
04-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Completely disagree with that. There are several successful QB's that needed footwork when coming into the NFL. Heck, even seeing Bradford this year, there was a considerable difference between his footwork from the beginning of the season and towards the end. It is something that can be fixed with a year or two of NFL experience under his belt.

I personally think the most important thing, starting out, for a QB is the mental ability to grasp the game. Gabbert clearly has that. The rest of stuff will come with time with him.

:confused:

I didn't comment on his footwork perse'. What I was commenting on was the fact he gets happy feet in the face of the rush, that speaks more to being a bit tight in the backside. The fact that he is watching the rush so often is a big red flag in the 1st place. Guys who do that out of fear are worthless no matter how much talent they have.

This is the only thing that concerns me in the least about this kid. Is he running at the slightest glimpse of defenders because he is scared, tough to know what other explanation there is for this kind of behavior.

Mario-Rijo
04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I ask this for education, so feel free to inform me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=381364

I'm not looking at his name, just his numbers...it just doesn't jump out to me that this guy is a top-5 pick. What am I missing?

And I ask this seriously, I've never seen the guy play.

You don't have to have the numbers to have the potential ability IMO. Sure you'd like them to have them but we have seen guys with poor numbers become great at the NFL level and vice versa. Numbers aren't always a true definition of the individual in a team sport.

MikeThierry
04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
kaldaniels, the Mizzou receiving corp wasn't very good last year and their RB was actually kicked off the team due to trouble with the law. It was almost a rebuilding year after having Jeremy Maclin and Denario Alexander in back to back years in the Mizzou receiving corp. If you look at his numbers when he actually had a legit receiver in the lineup, he did well. Denario Alexander led the nation in receiving yards in 09. That is in part due to Alexander's speed but a lot of it had to do with Gabbert. All I'm saying is that last years numbers don't tell the whole story. From watching most of Mizzou's games, he has a big time arm and is very athletic for his size.

Another thing in which the stats do not tell the story is his toughness. In 09, he was literally destroyed by Suh when Nebraska beat the Tigers. In that game, Gabbert suffered an ankle injury, something like a strained ankle or something. That didn't allow him to plant his leg correctly most of that season. Even though he was limping around in games, he still played. He is a tough guy that will put his body on the line for the team. He has shown he will play through injuries that will take a lot of QB's out of the game. Lets just say he doesn't suffer from the Jay Cutler syndrome.

Yeah some of his numbers might not be impressive on the surface but there are a lot of things behind the numbers that need to be taken into consideration and there are a lot of intangibles with Gabbert that, in my opinion, would make him a good starting QB in the NFL later down the road.

Mario, I think also maybe part of why he kind of got frantic when rushed was due to him playing with that injury. There are a lot of QB's that come into the league that have this issue and they get over it. I'm not saying Gabbert is ready to play now. I think he needs time to develop as an NFL QB. All I'm saying on this issue is that its fixable.

kaldaniels
04-22-2011, 09:12 PM
You don't have to have the numbers to have the potential ability IMO. Sure you'd like them to have them but we have seen guys with poor numbers become great at the NFL level and vice versa. Numbers aren't always a true definition of the individual in a team sport.

Facts I am well aware of. Like I said, what am I missing?

Mario-Rijo
04-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Facts I am well aware of. Like I said, what am I missing?

Well I think it is a question that has a multifaceted answer. Mostly his supporting cast wasn't doing a whole lot after the catch in an offense that requires it. His prior season looked much better with guys more adept at making plays after the catch.

Sea Ray
04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
King knows his Bengals stuff, he is just another guy that doesn't like how they do business. Same can be said about Esiason, Collinsworth, Thornton, etc, etc, etc.....

Dave Lapham occasionally lets it fly on the Bengals as well. These guys have every right to be angry at them.

I've never known Mike Brown to be enamored with 6'2" QBs. We'll find out next week.

LoganBuck
04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I've never known Mike Brown to be enamored with 6'2" QBs. We'll find out next week.

No one said that Mike Brown wants a 6'2" QB, only that the Grudens think he can play, and the Bengals have apparently scouted him very hard. We will find out Thursday. I don't like Dalton very much, but I don't get to make those calls.

WVRed
04-23-2011, 07:12 PM
The more I think about it, the more I hope the Bengals take AJ Green in the first round and just pass on a QB altogether.

The T-Ocho show is likely gone, and we already have two other offensive weapons in Jordan Shipley and Jermaine Gresham. Add in the fact that we are going to likely be horrible the next two to three seasons it would make more sense to take an AJ Green and maybe a Mikel LeShore in the second round.

Let Jordan Palmer play this season coming up or whoever they sign as a FA (assuming there is a season) and take your chances on landing the number one overall pick in 2012. I like the prospects of Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley (who I think could be the no 1 overall pick over Luck) better than Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton.

What scares me though is that I think Mike Brown would trade a first round pick in next years draft to the Patriots to move into the back of the first round to take Andy Dalton.

TeamSelig
04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Question:

Say the whole season is locked out..... what is the draft order for following season?

Mario-Rijo
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Question:

Say the whole season is locked out..... what is the draft order for following season?

How could it not be the same? Intriguing point.

TeamSelig
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
True... but at the same time, you would be rewarded with 2 #1 picks for one season as the worst team. Do you think they would do a lottery?

LoganBuck
04-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Question:

This question was answered in a column for one of the national draft guys. They would have a weighted lottery. For example, the Panthers would have a much better shot of getting the first pick than the Packers.

MikeThierry
04-24-2011, 07:31 PM
This question was answered in a column for one of the national draft guys. They would have a weighted lottery. For example, the Panthers would have a much better shot of getting the first pick than the Packers.

ugg... I certainly hope not. We have all seen the corruption of the draft lottery in the NBA and the NHL first hand. The NHL especially has a corrupt process.

Sea Ray
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Kudos, Puffy. Great call. Can't wait for all these batted down passes. As for me ...:redface:

JaxRed
05-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Let me tell you, Jacksonville could not be happier to have snagged Gabbert with the number 10 picked.

Mario-Rijo
05-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Let me tell you, Jacksonville could not be happier to have snagged Gabbert with the number 10 picked.

I hope he works out for ya Jax but from what I seen his only real weakness is he may be a bit tight in the rear end. Watching just youtube footage I see him start scrambling as if there is a rush even when no one has penetrated the line. He is clearly watching the rush and taking off when there is no threat, even though it may be imminent a good QB will usually step up in the pocket and keep his eyes down field. If he had Jake Lockers courage he would be a complete beast.

bucksfan2
05-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I hope he works out for ya Jax but from what I seen his only real weakness is he may be a bit tight in the rear end. Watching just youtube footage I see him start scrambling as if there is a rush even when no one has penetrated the line. He is clearly watching the rush and taking off when there is no threat, even though it may be imminent a good QB will usually step up in the pocket and keep his eyes down field. If he had Jake Lockers courage he would be a complete beast.

One of my friends said this about Gabbert. I watched Missouri beat a good Oklahoma team and didn't seem to remember anything that Gabbert did. Gabbert is someone who seemed to come out of nowhere. He was a guy who really didn't do anything remarkable at Missouri and all of a sudden he is the #1 QB in this draft.

As a Bengals fan I am glad they passed on him. Coming from a spread offense it will take him some time to adjust to the NFL game. He may be in the right situation sitting behind Gerrard for a season or two.