PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Network Down!

RedLegSuperStar
04-21-2011, 08:43 PM
How frustrated am I to find out this may not be resolved for 24-48 hours

paintmered
04-21-2011, 09:15 PM
If you need consoling, try here:

http://firstworldprobs.com/

(sarcasm intended for non-mockery comedic purposes only)

Boston Red
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Does this mean no MLB.tv through the PS3?!?

RedLegSuperStar
04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Does this mean no MLB.tv through the PS3?!?

Netflix works still.. so my guess is yes..

Paintmered: I really haven't played in a while and I have/had a 4th day weekend and was going to try out MLB The Show and Killzone 3

Razor Shines
04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I was kinda upset by this yesterday too. I had just fixed my PS3 and was going to play online for the first time in 2 months.

Oh what was wrong with it? Glad you asked.

My 2 and half year old son had shoved a penny, a dime and the battery cover to the PS3 Blu ray remote into the slot of the Blu ray drive.

I've opened up the PS3 before but I've heard some rough stories about going into the blu ray drive, so I had been putting it off. But very carefully went in and removed the contraband. Put it back together, put in a game and everything seems normal. Guess I got kinda lucky.

hebroncougar
04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Is it back up for anyone? Mine is down now.

GAC
04-23-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm an old fart, not a "gamer", but my 22 yr old had a panic attack when they went down, and (sorry) I'm just shaking my head and laughing my butt off. You'd think it was the end of the world!

I had to tie my son down to the bed because he was going through withdrawals. LOL

secretLOVER
04-23-2011, 04:35 PM
They finally reported it being due from an outside source. They really should roll back to just letting us run Linux or this is going to keep happening. Mlb.com was originally reported not to work but so was netflix. Was really wanting to try mortal kombat.

Add me if you're a reds fan!
Secretlover

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
UPDATE:

XBL still running fine. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
04-24-2011, 02:28 PM
There will be no Easter online gaming for PS3 users.. As we have entered day 5 of the outage Playstation has been just about non exsistant in getting any communication out there but have issued that they will be running a promotion when the network re-opens.

15 months of Playstation Plus for the price of 12 months - $49.99

In my own words.. Big Whoop. Give everyone a taste of those 3 months for Free and then let them decide if they want to buy the other 12. I've owned a Playstation from day 1, then bought the PS2 when it came out, then sold if for the Slim PS2 when that was released. When the Playstation 3 was released I waited a month and then bought one still with the Talladega Nights Blu-Ray and loved it because it played the original PS1 and PS2 games. Heard about the Yellow/Red light of death effecting the Big PS3s and sold my 60GB for the new slimmer 120GB. I've been with Sony gaming from the beginning and I know I'm not the only one. Where's my kick back for being loyal?

Never once have I thought of severing ties and joining the xBox community until recently...

dougdirt
04-24-2011, 04:09 PM
There will be no Easter online gaming for PS3 users.. As we have entered day 5 of the outage Playstation has been just about non exsistant in getting any communication out there but have issued that they will be running a promotion when the network re-opens.

15 months of Playstation Plus for the price of 12 months - $49.99

In my own words.. Big Whoop. Give everyone a taste of those 3 months for Free and then let them decide if they want to buy the other 12. I've owned a Playstation from day 1, then bought the PS2 when it came out, then sold if for the Slim PS2 when that was released. When the Playstation 3 was released I waited a month and then bought one still with the Talladega Nights Blu-Ray and loved it because it played the original PS1 and PS2 games. Heard about the Yellow/Red light of death effecting the Big PS3s and sold my 60GB for the new slimmer 120GB. I've been with Sony gaming from the beginning and I know I'm not the only one. Where's my kick back for being loyal?

Never once have I thought of severing ties and joining the xBox community until recently...

How about working systems throughout that entire time? Don't take this the wrong way.... but why do they OWE you something other than what was promised in your original purchase (warranty)?

secretLOVER
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Reported to be another 3-5 days.

RedLegSuperStar
04-25-2011, 04:15 PM
How about working systems throughout that entire time? Don't take this the wrong way.... but why do they OWE you something other than what was promised in your original purchase (warranty)?

What am I owed? I have been loyal to the company.. bought original Playstation in 1994 and have been buying ever since. I've purchased games, accessories, and consols all contributing to their dominance at the top of the gaming market. I am simply asking for something.. doesn't have to be of value but was using the Playstation Plus offer as an example because that is the promo they are running. I'd really prefer a e-mail to my account e-mail address stating what happened and when it will be up and running again. Not have to go to there webpage every other day to find out if the status has changed. I pay for Road Runner Turbo because I want to game online.. Playstation Network isn't fully Free. xBox user can mod their system.. Sony doesn't allow it and infact ban those who do so thats an added benifit for xBox owners. Which in my opinion out rates the fact that they have to pay to use the online portion of the game. All you'd have to do is use Gamefly and burn the game to your console and you aren't paying full price for games. Just saying. Regardless I feel Sony has handled this in a piss-pour manner and should own up to it. Talk to the people who stand by your product and asure them that they are going to take care of the issue. Don't take the easy route and post an update every 2nd or 3rd day.

Caveat Emperor
04-25-2011, 04:48 PM
xBox user can mod their system.. Sony doesn't allow it and infact ban those who do so thats an added benifit for xBox owners.

Don't know where you're getting this from -- Microsoft has been banning people with modded Xbox consoles from XBL for several years now.

As for the PSN situation, it's entirely Sony's own doing. They decided to attack the hacker community head-on without bracing for the inevitable backlash.

dougdirt
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
What am I owed? I have been loyal to the company.. bought original Playstation in 1994 and have been buying ever since. I've purchased games, accessories, and consols all contributing to their dominance at the top of the gaming market. I am simply asking for something.. doesn't have to be of value but was using the Playstation Plus offer as an example because that is the promo they are running. I'd really prefer a e-mail to my account e-mail address stating what happened and when it will be up and running again. Not have to go to there webpage every other day to find out if the status has changed. I pay for Road Runner Turbo because I want to game online.. Playstation Network isn't fully Free. xBox user can mod their system.. Sony doesn't allow it and infact ban those who do so thats an added benifit for xBox owners. Which in my opinion out rates the fact that they have to pay to use the online portion of the game. All you'd have to do is use Gamefly and burn the game to your console and you aren't paying full price for games. Just saying. Regardless I feel Sony has handled this in a piss-pour manner and should own up to it. Talk to the people who stand by your product and asure them that they are going to take care of the issue. Don't take the easy route and post an update every 2nd or 3rd day.

I still don't see your point. You keep buying their products because they are awesome. That is what they owe you, to keep puting good products out on the market. And they have.

As for your xbox comments, they are very incorrect. You can burn a game to your hard drive all you want, but you still need the disc in the system to play it. XBL bans hacked systems all the time.

secretLOVER
04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
You can hack to burn n cheat on either and be banned on either as well. You just have to wait a couple days sometimes for new version to be released after system updates.

I've always been for the online gaming experience on either system. PS3 is for me. This is just one thing we have to deal with for free online gaming. This **** happens.

SportsNut75
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
As long as online play stays free I can stand some down time even though it's frustrating.

mole44
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Anyone heard when its supposed to be back up? I just got a PS3 this weekend, and I wanna try out some of the online stuff

SportsNut75
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Anyone heard when its supposed to be back up? I just got a PS3 this weekend, and I wanna try out some of the online stuff

I'm hearing weekend at the best...most likely next week oh I'd say

Mario-Rijo
04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Just a reminder for those who don't recall, 4/21/11 Skynet becomes self aware. :eek:

Wiki Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_%28Terminator%29)

dougdirt
04-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Just heard on the news that Sony announced that credit card information may have been taken in this attack.

Caveat Emperor
04-26-2011, 07:22 PM
http://kotaku.com/#!5795913

"While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken," writes Seybold, "we cannot rule out the possibility."

"If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," Seybold continues.

Sony is encouraging users to be especially aware of potential phishing scams from people using email, phone calls and mail to try and extract more personal or sensitive information from you. Sony also is strongly recommending that you change you password once you're able to log back into the Playstation Network.

Pimply-Faced Hack0rz: 1
Sony: 0

RedLegSuperStar
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Now does Sony owe anyone?

dougdirt
04-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Now does Sony owe anyone?

If CC information was indeed compromised, then yes.

Razor Shines
04-26-2011, 11:47 PM
http://kotaku.com/#!5795913

Pimply-Faced Hack0rz: 1
Sony: 0

Well their creed is:

Knowledge is Free.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not Forgive.
We do on Forget.

So I guess they think the knowledge of Sony user's CC #s should be known to everyone as well. "Yeah, we're takin' on the corporations!.......Oh, and we're also stealing CC #'s from the little people."

RBA
04-27-2011, 02:04 AM
If CC information was indeed compromised, then yes.

They will do what every other company does and issue an apology.

OldRightHander
04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I was kind of wondering how someone went on an online shopping spree at Bed Bath & Beyond with my card. I've gotten all the money back and a new card issued, but now I wonder if it was connected to this.

AmarilloRed
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Change your debit cards. It's what I did today.

Mario-Rijo
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
I was kind of wondering how someone went on an online shopping spree at Bed Bath & Beyond with my card. I've gotten all the money back and a new card issued, but now I wonder if it was connected to this.

According to them it was between the 17th and 19th when it was compromised. This is the 2nd time in a month this has happened to me. Early in April the same thing happened to Best Buy rewards program, though just had like e-mail info and probably my general personal info.

Reds Nd2
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
They will do what every other company does and issue an apology.

And a year of credit monitoring for your trouble.

Reds Nd2
04-29-2011, 11:05 PM
According to them... Early in April the same thing happened to Best Buy rewards program, though just had like e-mail info and probably my general personal info.

Same thing happened to Chase customers too. Epsilon had someone outside their control gain access to personal e-mail addresses.

penantboundreds
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Is it back up?

secretLOVER
05-04-2011, 12:44 PM
No, it isn't back up. Should be sometime this week according to Sony. Everyone will get a free month of ps+.

SportsNut75
05-04-2011, 11:22 PM
We should get more than a month! lol

fearofpopvol1
05-05-2011, 03:40 AM
a month is a joke. everyone should get 6 months to a year with the data compromise. i know at least 1 class action suit is in the works.

secretLOVER
05-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure we deserve much. Unless a plus user, we don't pay and you run a risk no matter what when putting our info out there. They handled it wrong though, so I will appreciate the month.

I haven't verified but I also read somewhere we will get some free downloads. Don't know if that means plus downloads or something extra.

I've been constantly running Google searches at work for "Playstation network" at most recent so it constantly updates. Apparently, a lot of people think this is why we finally killed Osama....

secretLOVER
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Ok, now I believe we are entitled to more....

http://apps.facebook.com/upitone/?controller=news&op=view-news&news_id=79362

[By , 12:07:31 on Thursday, May 5, 2011 - 1 person is following GamePro

Congress heard this morning that Sony was using outdated software on its servers for months prior to the recent PSN hacks.
Speaking to the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade yesterday, Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University said that Sony had been using outdated software on its servers for months, and that nothing had been done about it.
Spafford claimed that security experts had spotted Sony was using outdated versions of the Apache Web server software and had no firewall installed. The issue was apparently "reported in an open forum monitored by Sony employees" some two to three months before the recent breaches.
Full details on yesterday's hearing, including Spafford's testimony, can be found here. Sony declined to testify at the hearing, causing the Subcommittee's chairperson Mary Bono Mack to bring forward the deadline for Kaz Hirai to answer her burning questions to today.

WMR
05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Wow what a farce....

a complete and utter joke...

I thought Sony was on the cutting edge of technology? Maybe this will prompt them to improve their online experience.

As an Xbox Live Gold and Sony Plus member, Microsoft blows Sony away when it comes to online experience and content.

You know you can't even have party chat on PS3 without everyone going into a dedicated room (i.e. can't play diff. games while chatting with friends)? Woefully antiquated.

Caveat Emperor
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
As an Xbox Live Gold and Sony Plus member, Microsoft blows Sony away when it comes to online experience and content.

You know you can't even have party chat on PS3 without everyone going into a dedicated room (i.e. can't play diff. games while chatting with friends)? Woefully antiquated.

Agreed.

My roommate has Sony Plus, and I'm glad I didn't add it to my PS3. Everything about the online experience is better on XBL. I don't even bother with most multiplayer games on PS3 if they're also available for the 360.

secretLOVER
05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
They are adding the party chat soon after or with the PSN being brought up.

I choose the PS3 because its for me. I agree the XBOX has its advantages and am not a fanboy. The PS3 would blow the xbox away if it wasn't for the multiplatform games. So many games are dumbed down so they can be easily ported over to xbox. I also hate that xbox charges for so many things that come with the purchase of a ps3. I would love to have them both but cannot justify it as of now.

Ghosts of 1990
05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
This is annoying me. It cost me most of my free month of MLB.tv, and my Netflix hasn't worked in the month that this has been down. I think it's really a crappy move that they offer nothing in the way of re-imbursement to their customers that the experience has been detracted from; because it's an 'added service anyways'. PS3 is a joke

reds1869
05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
This is annoying me. It cost me most of my free month of MLB.tv, and my Netflix hasn't worked in the month that this has been down. I think it's really a crappy move that they offer nothing in the way of re-imbursement to their customers that the experience has been detracted from; because it's an 'added service anyways'. PS3 is a joke

I've had problems with consoles from both M$ and Sony. Microsoft treated me well, Sony basically said "deal with it." When it came time to buy a replacement console, guess which way I went? Sony has woefully inept customer service and PR.

Redsfaithful
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM

I don't know why, but my Netflix is still working. I have to try to login a couple of times, and go back and eventually it just lets me into the queue (never actually finishes the login process). Which is pretty lucky, because we'd have serious problems if we didn't have access to Thomas the Train around here. :)

juvey21
05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
So still no word on a date it will be back up? im about convert over to xbox.

Caveat Emperor
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
So still no word on a date it will be back up? im about convert over to xbox.

According to a report by Bloomberg news, they're targeting May 31st as the date to re-launch PSN w/ improved security protocols:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-09/sony-s-playstation-qriocity-services-remain-shut-uncertain-on-restart.html

The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged, he said. Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services April 20 because of possible data theft by hackers.

So, roughly 3 more weeks of downtime.

RedsManRick
05-10-2011, 01:45 AM

I read somewhere that you just have to keep trying to log in to Netflix. I got it to work the other day despite being unable to access PSN.

Razor Shines
05-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I read somewhere that you just have to keep trying to log in to Netflix. I got it to work the other day despite being unable to access PSN.

That's true. I still use netflix on my PS3 nearly everyday.

WMR
05-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I think I see Bill Gates on the grassy knoll...

Timed with exclusive CoD 360 DLC.

Follow the money. Who is bankrolling these hackers? :D

OldRightHander
05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
This really hasn't changed how I use my PS3 for the most part. I never played games online much except for Call of Duty, and I never really got into Black Ops much anyway. I play offline most of the time.

WMR
05-10-2011, 05:36 PM
If this outage isn't changing how you use your PS3, it means Sony is failing.

I wonder if this will completely kill DC Universe Online.

OldRightHander
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
If this outage isn't changing how you use your PS3, it means Sony is failing.

I wonder if this will completely kill DC Universe Online.

I just never used a lot of the online features much. I play the single player campaigns in games and I watch a lot of Blu Rays on it. I was playing online occasionally, but most of my game playing is offline.

RedLegSuperStar
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I ended up selling my PS3 and buying an xBox 360. There have been sales/deals on xBox's for the past two weeks and deprtment stores offering $50 gift card back on any purcharce of the console. I ended up going to Toys R Us and ended up getting 4GB Console & Black Ops for $200 plus tax while getting a $50 gift card in return.

Redsfaithful
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Portal 2 was the first game I've played since Fallout 3. Kids will do that to you. So basically, the outage definitely hasn't changed how I use my PS3, it's primarily our blu-ray/Netflix player.

I actually have an xbox360 that I've barely ever used. I should probably sell it.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Ok, so I can access Netflix through one PS3 but not the other.

Bedroom (older PS3) when I try to access Netflix I get the PS network login thing that already has my password, etc saved so I hit the "x" button and it comes back and says that the PS network is under maintenance....blah blah blah. So I hit the back (circle) button and all the while Netflix is still in the background loading. I get the prompt again and hit enter (again) and get the maintenance notice (again) but usually by the 2nd time thru, Netflix is loaded and then I can just watch whatever I want.

Same process with the other PS3 in the basement, HOWEVER, once I get through to Netflix and choose something, I'm asked for my PS network info again. I hit enter, but it tells me I can't watch what I've selected because the network is under maintenance.

So why would one PS3 (in the same house) be different than the other?

Pissing me off.

Caveat Emperor
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
From the "Well, that didn't take long," department:

According to reports on Nyleveia.com, Eurogamer, and NeoGAF, Sony's PlayStation Network password reset system-the one just put in place after the PSN hack-has been compromised, allowing hackers to change a PSN password if they know your email and date of birth. Exactly the sort of information that was released in the original hack.

Sony has taken the password reset system offline.

CTA513
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Sony investigating another hack

Sony is investigating another hacking attack on one of its websites.

A group called Lulz Security claims to have broken into Sonypictures.com and accessed details of a million users.

Passwords, home addresses and other personal information relating to several thousand of the accounts was released online.

It is the third major hack to hit Sony since April when the PlayStation Network was targeted and the details of 77 million users compromised.

Rest of story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13636704

Razor Shines
06-04-2011, 04:53 PM
So I don't know much about any of the 5 games offered for free. I've played infamous a little. Are they any good? Anyone got an opinion on which two to download?

cinredsfan2000
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
So I don't know much about any of the 5 games offered for free. I've played infamous a little. Are they any good? Anyone got an opinion on which two to download?

I was wondering the same thing :confused:I have infamous and play it a fair amount but the other games listed i have no clue about.

improbus
06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Here is a decent guide to the free games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1172751p1.html

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2011, 06:14 AM

Be very careful downloading!!!

This is how it works:

Step#1 - Go to the PS Store. There you will find a a bar on the left of the screen saying "Welcome Back" click on it.

Step #2 - In the large box on the left there is a rotating message one is "Pick 2 free games" the other is Playstation Plus 30 days free. On the right are several boxes 1 for PS Plus, 1 for Free PS3 game #1, etc. Click on Free PS3 game 1 and another screen will come up they will vary just a bit as they have a few options on the lower left side. Click Get Now and then follow the directions from there to the tee. Basically you back out using the O button go to the available games to download and then download the one you want. But here is where it can get a little tricky, once you have started this download you are supposed to again follow these instructions to do game #2 but somehow I managed to hit the O button one too many times once I got the ok to go download game #2 and I wasn't able to access the area for the free games again. So I fiddled around as much as I could and decided to just do a simple search for the other game I wanted and download it from there. But once I found the game this way it wasn't the free offered full game version but a pay version of the same game. So being a bonehead I figured well since I have no funds in the PS account and I have already downloaded this voucher (I call it) that perhaps the system will recognize it and bill it 0.00 accordingly even though the price of 14.99 was showing on screen, wrong. It forcably took funds from my card on file which I now have to call Sony to get them to re-imburse me.

Just be careful. BTW I think I am Settling on iNFAMOUS and Dead Nation.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I only use it for Call of Duty online, and occasionally a sports game....but I wanted to download the new map packets, but I can't log in to the store to add a new credit card because they have my old one...and now I can't change my pw because I don't remember what mine is as it's saved on the sign-in screen. Pain in the neck.

RedLegSuperStar
06-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I only use it for Call of Duty online, and occasionally a sports game....but I wanted to download the new map packets, but I can't log in to the store to add a new credit card because they have my old one...and now I can't change my pw because I don't remember what mine is as it's saved on the sign-in screen. Pain in the neck.

I would contact them... I had to because the password reset email didn't work for me. Here is their number: 1-800-345-SONY

They can do a reset of the password and it normally takes about 3 days. Hope that helps.