PDA

View Full Version : StL reporter: NL Central as high school

xavr1
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Pretty dumb article but thought people might be interested in reading as we head to St. Louis...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_27272822-6cf5-11e0-acc6-0019bb30f31a.html

Parliament
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Can't wait for the series to start!

Seņor Rojo
04-24-2011, 03:47 PM
A weak attempt at self-validation. It's as though this guy is trying to convince everyone that the Cardinals are still on top: au contraire. On a side note, people in St. Louis are just as interested in what high school you attended as Cincinnatians are, apparently it says a lot about who you are.

mckbearcat48
04-24-2011, 05:44 PM
A weak attempt at self-validation. It's as though this guy is trying to convince everyone that the Cardinals are still on top: au contraire. On a side note, people in St. Louis are just as interested in what high school you attended as Cincinnatians are, apparently it says a lot about who you are.

That is the first question asked of anyone who says they're from the St. Louis area, just about every time.

LeDoux
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I do not like this MTV worldview creeping into my baseball.

foxfire123
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
That is the first question asked of anyone who says they're from the St. Louis area, just about every time.

I've never understood this wanting to know where you went to high school around here. Personally, I think it's one of two things--either they want to know which side of town you grew up on/how rich you are/were, or they never outgrew the high school mentality.

I love telling them "Philo High School" when they ask me, and watch the frantic wordless confusion of them trying to figure where in St Louis that is! :p

BurgervilleBuck
04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Personally, I think it's one of two things--either they want to know which side of town you grew up on/how rich you are/were, or they never outgrew the high school mentality.
I think it's option 2, really, especially on the West side of Cincinnati. And I say that as a Cheviot boy.

Of course, you could live in Kentucky where everything is UK. Honestly, I swear, the majority of UK fans can barely spell university, much less have gone to one.

Boston Red
04-25-2011, 03:08 AM
I've never understood this wanting to know where you went to high school around here. Personally, I think it's one of two things--either they want to know which side of town you grew up on/how rich you are/were, or they never outgrew the high school mentality.

Same thing in Louisville. I think it's mostly trying to figure out what people you both might now.

Swampturkey
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM

I've lived in the St. Louis region my entire life and have asked numerous people why that's a big question here, and no one has ever been able to tell me. I just don't get it.