PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Volquez tonight...

BluegrassRedleg
04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I didn't hear a reason given, so maybe this was already addressed, but isn't is possible having to warm up again could be EXACTLY what ol' Eddy needs at this point?

gilpdawg
04-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Nah, that's not good for the arm. No need to risk anything in April.

Vottomatic
04-23-2011, 06:11 AM
I didn't hear a reason given, so maybe this was already addressed, but isn't is possible having to warm up again could be EXACTLY what ol' Eddy needs at this point?

I agree. It would have been like he was pitching the second and third innings. He might have thrown a no-hitter tonight after that break. :laugh:

sjjones
04-23-2011, 06:44 AM
I was busy last night and missed the game...why did the umps even start the game if the rain was going to stop it 6 minutes later?

markymark69
04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

I actually had that same thought - then I thought Dusty was just matching wits with Abner (LaRussa).

Probably a good move - with Volquez's recent arm issues.

GOBCU33
04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
What I heard was that he was pitching a simulated game down in the clubhouse and he would have gone in for a couple of innings, but the rain delay just lasted too long

Swampturkey
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I was busy last night and missed the game...why did the umps even start the game if the rain was going to stop it 6 minutes later?

I thought it was rediculous as well. They put the radar up on the big screen at Busch at least 25 minutes before game time (that's when I got there and first noticed it) and you could tell it was about to hit.

Maybe they didn't realize it would be as bad as it was, but they definately had to know they'd get less than an inning in.

thorn
04-23-2011, 01:06 PM
I thought it was rediculous as well. They put the radar up on the big screen at Busch at least 25 minutes before game time (that's when I got there and first noticed it) and you could tell it was about to hit.

Maybe they didn't realize it would be as bad as it was, but they definately had to know they'd get less than an inning in.

The home team makes the decision to start the game, not the umps. Baker was just out managed in this instance. However, it would have been a mute point if Maloney could have pitched better, the team got a few hits with runners in scoring position. This was just a team loss, many deserve the blame in this one. However, it's only 1 of many this year, even if we win 92 games, we will loose 70 times, gotta take the loss and move on.

BluegrassRedleg
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
What I heard was that he was pitching a simulated game down in the clubhouse and he would have gone in for a couple of innings, but the rain delay just lasted too long

Ah. That makes more sense. Thanks.