PDA

View Full Version : Cairo as an everyday starter

arkimadee
04-24-2011, 12:37 AM
If something bad happens to Scottie or this shoulder thing turns out to be more serious than they are letting on how would we be with Cairo starting third everyday? Of course we would take a big hit defensively. I'm not too convinced that offensively we would take that big of a hit. Cairo has done nothing over the past couple of seasons but have big hit after big hit. The guy is one of the more "clutch" players on this team. That hit he had today was the biggest hit of the season so far in my opinion. This team needed that bad to get back on the right track. I guess the point of this thread is to point out that the Reds have a good plan B at third if Rolen is hurt. I see Cairo's name in that lineup now and I don't cringe. That cringe has been changed to Francisco.

Reds
04-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Juan chases bad pitches and pops up good ones, at least with Miguel I'm going to get a professional AB, I get that.

Natty Redlocks
04-24-2011, 05:54 AM
I'd feel better with someone like Mark DeRosa, but it's hard to argue against what Cairo has done as a Red so far. The thing is he's fine as long as he doesn't get too many PAs; if Rolen winds up out for a long time, they'll be forced to find out what Francisco can do with consistent playing time, which may be just as well.

BAKER12
04-24-2011, 06:09 AM
The Reds took a ton of grief for signing and then keeping Miggy last year. All the guy does is get clutch hits, give credible (not Rolen, but who is?) defense and the other guys in the team love his presence. If Rolen is out an extended time (say 60 days) I could see Cairo getting 2/3 of the AB, with Dusty slotting Juan against guys he can have success against. I do not have good vibes on the Rolen injury (based on his history) and if he is out an extended time it will be interesting to see who steps up and takes that on field leadership role.

Vottomatic
04-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm thinking Rolen's career is over. I think he will hang it up if this is a 60-DL thing or more. He's wondered in the past whether he was "done" or not. And I'm not slamming him. I appreciate the professionalism he brought to this team.

Time to find out what Francisco can do with extended playing time. This way they can assess what they want to do for the future after seeing what he can do.

Jack Burton
04-24-2011, 11:39 AM
No thanks, not an everyday player.

lonewolf371
04-24-2011, 11:57 AM
He's not an everyday player. He has a career line of .267/.317/.361 and he's not far off of it this season. That type of production is bad for a shortstop, let alone the hot corner.

bshall2105
04-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I think Cairo can be an everyday player at this point in his career. I realize his career numbers are not spectacular, but his 2 seasons with the Reds have been better than that. Also, I had not seen Cairo play before he came to the Reds, but I would imagine that earlier in his career, he did not give consistent professional at bats like he does now. He's actually one of the top 3-4 guys I want coming up with the game on the line, and I felt that way before yesterday. I've been impressed with him defensively as well.

Magdal
04-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Nope....not an every day player. He thrives in a limited role.

bshall2105
04-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe he's not an everyday player all season long, but I'll take him as an everyday player for a limited amount of time.

BluegrassRedleg
04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Love him for what he is, which is a super-professional hitter off the bench and situational starter. But when his ABs mount, the stats will certainly get watered down. He's up there in years. Gotta keep him fresh in his current role.

mlh1981
04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Good bench/role player, but will probably be exposed a bit as an everyday player. Not for a lack of effort, as he is supremely professional. I just feel better about him as part timer.

BAKER12
04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Michael Young?
Stiff price to pay, but he might be the starting 3B next year and beyond if Rolen retires.
Rolen does not strike me as a guy who will hang on past his productive years, if his body says retire, he will do it.

Maker_84
04-25-2011, 12:15 AM
we also need a bat in LF that is worth a dam

bshall2105
04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
we also need a bat in LF that is worth a dam

I'm hoping that Fred Lewis will be a boost in LF. He gives us the opportunity to move Stubbs down in the order, and hopefully he can produce something other than a walk.

Kiss the Baby00
04-25-2011, 04:02 AM
I'm hoping that Fred Lewis will be a boost in LF. He gives us the opportunity to move Stubbs down in the order, and hopefully he can produce something other than a walk.

idk why Heisey is the forgotten man :(

bounty37h
04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Michael Young?
Stiff price to pay, but he might be the starting 3B next year and beyond if Rolen retires.
Rolen does not strike me as a guy who will hang on past his productive years, if his body says retire, he will do it.

How many years though, he is only a year or so younger, and a huge contract I think? I do agree we need to work on a permamanet replacement-love what Cairo has done, but not long term answer, and dont think Francisci is either.

bshall2105
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
idk why Heisey is the forgotten man :(

I was thinking of people that weren't on the 25 man roster. I agree that Heisey needs a lot more time in left.

PeteRoseBelongs
04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Juan chases bad pitches and pops up good ones, at least with Miguel I'm going to get a professional AB, I get that.

well then I guess we should just trade JF. If he pops up and strikes out then why on earth give him a chance. Before his injury he wasn't even really being given a chance. Bring him in the 7th inning give him one start every 5 days. Yeh, we really get a idea of what the guy can do with that.