PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone mail program, or webmail?

OldRightHander
04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I've always been one to use a stand alone mail program to retrieve my email. Over the years I've used Outlook, Eudora, Mac Mail, and Thunderbird. I know quite a few people who only use webmail for email and either don't even know about such programs, or don't want to bother with setting them up. Is it really that common for people to only use webmail, or do I just happen to know a large number of folks like that? For myself, I've just always preferred the features that these programs have and have never really liked using webmail. Am I in the minority here?

RBA
04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I use Gmail and also it syncs with my smartphone, EVO/Sprint in real time. You can do almost everything with GMAIL as outlook, except it is web base.

westofyou
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I only use webmail for personal use. Gmail for business, yahoo for personal and another yahoo account for baseball stuff.

I have to use Outlook for work, mostly it's great for the calendar part, aside from that there is nothing else it does that I can't get elsewhere.

Used to use Thunderbird for work at my last job, it's alright, but doesn't play well with other folks Outlook accounts.

Caveat Emperor
04-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Web based Gmail for me. I use Outlook at work because I'm required to.

I don't send much e-mail, though -- about the only thing left I use it for is big "group" mails trying to plan things out. Otherwise, I prefer calling or texting people.

Red in Chicago
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Web based Gmail for me. I use Outlook at work because I'm required to.

I don't send much e-mail, though -- about the only thing left I use it for is big "group" mails trying to plan things out. Otherwise, I prefer calling or texting people.

What is this thing you refer to as "calling"?:laugh:

RedsManRick
04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I use Outlook for work, yahoo for "fun" personal stuff and random stuff where I have to provide an email and gmail for more serious personal stuff.

oneupper
04-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I've always been one to use a stand alone mail program to retrieve my email. Over the years I've used Outlook, Eudora, Mac Mail, and Thunderbird. I know quite a few people who only use webmail for email and either don't even know about such programs, or don't want to bother with setting them up. Is it really that common for people to only use webmail, or do I just happen to know a large number of folks like that? For myself, I've just always preferred the features that these programs have and have never really liked using webmail. Am I in the minority here?

I've always used an email client. I like setting up rules so incoming mail is routed to an appropriate folder.
Also, my email is then on MY computer, and not on the cloud somewhere.

I could not work without email. It's my favorite form of communication. I hate the phone. It's intrusive and no records remain (you didn't tell me that).

JaxRed
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM
What is this thing you refer to as "calling"?:laugh:

I know..... next thing he'll be saying he's meeting people....

OldRightHander
04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I've always used an email client. I like setting up rules so incoming mail is routed to an appropriate folder.
Also, my email is then on MY computer, and not on the cloud somewhere.

I could not work without email. It's my favorite form of communication. I hate the phone. It's intrusive and no records remain (you didn't tell me that).

That's how I've always worked. I was rather surprised when I found out the number of people who do all their email on the web.

In my case, I'm running a business and I have Mac Mail set up with all my business and personal addresses and folders that everything goes into. I also have it set to delete from the server immediately. I feel more secure that way.

AtomicDumpling
04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
I used to use Outlook but switched to webmail. Webmail can now do almost everything that Outlook can do, plus it is much easier to access if you use more than one computer. If you use Outlook and your computer is lost/stolen/dies you could lose all your records, address book and emails.

dougdirt
04-25-2011, 05:05 PM
I used to use outlook, but after a hard drive crash in 2004 I think, I switched to webmail.

Jefferson24
04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
G-Mail here

Roy Tucker
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I use multiple Gmail accounts for personal email. I have a professional one and a couple "fun" ones. I like that someone gives me 7.5GB of email folder space for free and they manage it and have it up 99.99% of the time (more than my work email). The web-based client is simple but my needs aren't great.

Oh, and also for work (Outlook/Exchange), I'm limited to 40 MB for my mailbox so I probably spend an hour a week managing this space. I've offered to buy my own 1 TB disk but that fell upon deaf ears.

westofyou
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Oh, and also for work (Outlook/Exchange), I'm limited to 40 MB for my mailbox so I probably spend an hour a week managing this space. I've offered to buy my own 1 TB disk but that fell upon deaf ears.
Email jail can ruin a work day

Unassisted
04-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Gmail x2 here, both as a custom domain in a Google Apps account and a plain old gmail.com account.

Until 3-4 years ago, I used to use Eudora and pay to host my domain at Yahoo. I'll never go back to or recommend that. Yahoo's spam filtering was lousy compared to Gmail.

RFS62
04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Gmail, but I want electronic copy on my hard drive.

Boss-Hog
04-26-2011, 08:39 PM

I can't say that shocks me. ;)

westofyou
04-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Yahoo has a new beta mail program out, just started using it today.

BoydsOfSummer
05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Yahoo has a new beta mail program out, just started using it today.

I'm using it too. It's fine, but one complaint--there is no delete button at the end of an e-mail when it's opened. I have to scroll back to the top to delete or back to the inbox to scrap it.:( Also from time to time it tells me something about scripts loading and then kinda freezes on me.