PDA

View Full Version : Would you give Heisey a chance?

brm7675
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
We know he can play the outfield, and we know Juan F is not master in the field at that position and Cario, while nice also isn't great. So if Heisey can show any ability to handle the 3rd base position, would you take the risk and maybe start him some games there while Rolen is down and see what happens?

Carolina_Redleg
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
At this point I definitely would.

bounty37h
04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Yup, been pleased with what Cairo has done when needed, but need to have a back up plan for him if somehting happens or he has to play too much.

Girevik
04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Has Heisey ever played anywhere in the infield? Throwing him out there for the first time in a major league game scares me more than a little.

Krawhitham
04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Heisey can not field better than Juan F this season. He would need a whole off season to practice

@Girevik he was drafted as an infielder

From Fay's Blog

HEISEY AT THIRD: The Reds were behind Heisey taking groundballs at third the other day.

“We advised him to do it,” Baker said. “Just in case. He signed as an infielder. I don’t know if there’s a reason they took him off there. Looks like he has good hands. This ain’t exactly the place to learn.”

Heisey got an idea of how tough it is.

“As confident as I am in myself . . . just in batting practice, it was amazing how hard guys were hitting balls down there,” he said. “That ball I hit at home to (Ryan) Roberts, how did he even catch it? I’d be pretty nervous.”

Baker moved to third in the minors himself.

“I was an All-Star outfielder,” Baker said. “They called up Darrell Evans and put me at third. Toledo, Ohio — the rock pile. That lasted four days. I was like, ‘This is too close for me.’”

SidneySlicker
04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I'd give him left field duties right now. Gomes is batting .151 in their last 10 games.

AintlifeGrande
04-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I'd give him left field duties right now. Gomes is batting .151 in their last 10 games.

Yep.What happened to the platoon role they were supposed to have?One answer,Dusty.

bshall2105
04-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Yep.What happened to the platoon role they were supposed to have?One answer,Dusty.

There was no platoon with Heisey, the platoon was supposedly going to be with Lewis. Neither one of them would have played though because Gomes is the star of the team according to the Dustman.

Carolina Red
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I'd love to see the Reds give him a chance...........in left field. I am really high on Heisey and I think he should be getting the majority of the playing time in left. The fact of the matter is that Gomes makes a lot more money so he will get most of the playing time. Heisey is a better baseball player. As for 3rd base I'd rather trade Volquez back to the Rangers for Young.

Hey Meat
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, I say give him a shot. I think the more he is in the lineup the better. Just hope he can play the hot-corner.

The DARK
04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I'd be shocked if he serves as anything more than an emergency backup. Juan and Cairo's defense would probably be better.

redsfanmia
04-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Wily Mo Pena has a 1000% feilding percentage at 3rd base, maybe we could get him to fill in.

Reds
04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Heisey's bet shot at playing is RF one day, LF the next, and CF the next day. Same as Miggy playing 3rd one day and 1st the next.

If you ask me we really don't have a backup 1st basemen or CF though.

bleedsred
04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Hernandez backs up first.....as for third, they should leave that to Cairo or Renteria/ Janish...Heisey should be playing left more often and spell Bruce and Stubbs each one time every 6-7 games. No reason at all the kid isn't starting 4 of every 7 except for the fact of where he was drafted. IF he was a 1-3 round draft pick he would be playing....sad but true.

Reds
04-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Hernandez backs up first.....

That's what I thought they might do again this year, I tweeted a question to John Fay asking who he thought the backup for Votto was and he answered Cairo.. it's off point but when Votto does rest I guess Cairo is slotted to fill in..

BluegrassRedleg
04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Better question: Why isn't Heisey playing EVERY DAY in the OF??? :confused:

texasdave
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Better question: Why isn't Heisey playing EVERY DAY in the OF??? :confused:

Gotta get Jer-0-my Hermida in there.

nux fan
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
what does Baker have against Heisey

mu4103
04-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Heisey was a shortstop in college, I believe. By the way, I loved the Bleacher Report Article with Dusty explaining pregame why Hermida over Heisey because Heisey is better against power pitchers. I believe his quote was "you have to know your players to mix and match" or something like that.

Rotate Heisey with the other 3 OFers and see what he can do. Right now I expect very little because he hasn't see any playing time.

HatchMo
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
I couldn't care less where they put heisey, but he HAS to get in the line up.