PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce has hit only 3 line drives in 2011

big boy
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Bruce is reaching base at a lousy .286 clip so far this year, slugging just .338, and helping none of his fantasy owners. The batted-ball data isn't pretty, either. Through 84 plate appearances, Bruce has somehow hit only three line drives.

Linky1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Your-Jay-Bruce-problem-isn-8217-t-really-a-prob;_ylt=AnSdgmZJtumo7w8FNXISw525bZ8u?urn=fantasy-wp1390)and Linky2 (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9892&position=OF#battedball).

jhiller21
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
He's hit three homers, line drives can easily become outs if they're hit to outfielders.

Not to say he's doing great, he isn't. However I think he'll be fine.

Cuban_Missile
04-26-2011, 12:23 PM
It looks to me like he is just having a slow start...Not a big deal yet considering it is not even May yet. And he looked a lot more comfortable last night in the 2nd spot maybe that was all it took. We shall see.

RedsFanInBama
04-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Hopefully he's just slumping. That on-base percentage and the walk-to-strikeout numbers are UGLY. I'm not sure he understands the strike zone any better now than he did when he got to the Reds four years ago. But like I said, hopefully it's just a slump.

DaytonFlyer
04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
3 opposite field base hits yesterday. Made the Brewers shift look awfully stupid.

lonewolf371
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Well that suggests more that he's doing something wrong rather than just being unlucky. You usually like to see a guy hit 20% LDs to keep that BA up.

Tadasimha
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I remember this discussion from last season on another forum - Bruce just seems to have trouble early in the season and sometimes just hits them where the defense is as opposed to where they're not.

The move to the two-hole might be sparking him out of the early season issues earlier this season if yesterday is any indication.

lonewolf371
04-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I remember this discussion from last season on another forum - Bruce just seems to have trouble early in the season and sometimes just hits them where the defense is as opposed to where they're not.

The move to the two-hole might be sparking him out of the early season issues earlier this season if yesterday is any indication.
Well last year the difference was that he was hitting line drives, but they just happened to go to outfielders. That usually doesn't happen and it's ridiculously unlucky. This year, he's popping balls up seemingly every at bat. He's not putting in quality swings so far and needs to make some adjustments.