PDA

View Full Version : Minor Keys

Scrap Irony
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Is it too early to get excited about Stephen Hunt? Talk about coming out of nowhere! That kid is as hot as any in quite some time. A very nice start to the season. He's only 22, too, so playing in A+ the entire season wouldn't be horrible for his development. That said, he and Grandal might just make the Carolina lineup solid.

Add those two to Cody Puckett (who's playing 2B well enough-- for now-- to allow his 1.182 OPS in the middle of the diamond) and Mike Costanzo (1.011 OPS while playing third base) and you could have four guys with serious potential to hit.

Too bad they'll still have to pitch.

Is it too early to be concerned about Alonso? 60 ABs, I know, but his line (.246/.279/.344/.624) won't get it done in LF or at 1B. The kid has to get it done this year. I'm on record as saying he's a Sean Casey clone. Could that be optimistic?

Is it too early to think this season will be more of the same as last season for Todd Frazier? 70-ish ABs and he's showing power, but his BA is rough. If he can play six spots, he's still got value, but when was the last time he played something other than LF? For goodness' sake, they brought up Eymann to man the hot corner rather than try him there.

Scrap Irony
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Bradley Boxberger has allowed 1.9 hits per 9 inning. He's also walked six in 9.2 IP. He's struck out almost 16/9 IP as well.

On the other hand, Donnie Joseph has 13 hits and nine ER in 8 IP. He's striking out 13.5/9 IP.

Anyone have that in the office pool?

mace
04-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I'll give it another two-three weeks before I get too worked up about Stephen Hunt. But he has been amazing . . . I'm pleased that Boxberger is making me look stupid. I've never cared for the cut of his jib, but he's now getting it done, big-time . . . Don't see Alonso as Casey, because Casey was geared for base hits. Alonso's long swing is what concerns me. We've excused his long stretches of relative unproductivity by citing his hamate injury, etc.; but at some point he has to just do it . . . On the other hand, I felt the same sort of way about Boxberger. And Josh Ravin, who's been looking fabulous . . . The points about Frazier seem legitimate . . . Don't forget Neftali Soto at Carolina, when he comes off the DL . . . Two words of the day: Blaine Howell.

batsfan
04-27-2011, 08:03 PM
For goodness' sake, they brought up Eymann to man the hot corner rather than try him there.

I doubt that is why Eymann was brought up. Frazier is a much better 3B defensively.

dougdirt
04-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Yonder Alonso has still faced more lefties than righties this season. Give him time and he is going to be fine, but when a left is facing lefties 3-5 times every other day right out of the gate, it is probably going to result in them struggling to find a good rhythm.

backbencher
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Yonder Alonso has still faced more lefties than righties this season.

A point to be made about Sappelt, as well.

GOYA
04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Regarding Yonder, I find this interesting, but of course, based on very few ABs:

Bases Empty .324
Runners On .148
Scoring Position .059

And while Yonder has 1 more AB against LHP than RHP

vs Left .226
vs Right .267

Compared to Dorn:

Bases Empty .250
Runners On .423
Scoring Position .500

vs Left .160 (25 AB)
vs Right .455 (33 AB)

If you are looking for a guy to platoon in LF...

_Sir_Charles_
04-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Regarding Yonder, I find this interesting, but of course, based on very few ABs:

Bases Empty .324
Runners On .148
Scoring Position .059

And while Yonder has 1 more AB against LHP than RHP

vs Left .226
vs Right .267

Compared to Dorn:

Bases Empty .250
Runners On .423
Scoring Position .500

vs Left .160 (25 AB)
vs Right .455 (33 AB)

If you are looking for a guy to platoon in LF...

But, but, but....I thought Dorn was just organizational fodder?

One of these days somebody's going to wise up and give this kid a chance in the bigs. What's the percentage of left-handed pitchers to right-handed pitchers in the bigs? I'm guessing it's at least 2 to 1. He flat out MASHES righties....and he pretty much always has. I was really hoping to see him brought up instead of Hermida. Oh well. :(

GOYA
04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I couldn't agree with you more but I'm afraid we are never going to see Dorn in a Reds uniform.

More to consider:

Gomes v LHP - .385/.529/.923 - 1.452
Dorn v RHP - .455/.457/.818 - 1.275

LeDoux
04-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I couldn't agree with you more but I'm afraid we are never going to see Dorn in a Reds uniform.

More to consider:

I have only seen Dorn once in a game. How bad is his defense? I mean if Willie Mays is "10", and Walt Jocketty getting the job done himself is a "1", where is Dorn? Where is Gomes?

GOYA
04-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Dorn is similar but I think a little better than Gomes.
Dorn doesn't make many errors but he lacks speed.

LeDoux
04-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Dorn is similar but I think a little better than Gomes.
Dorn doesn't make many errors but he lacks speed.

Really? I was lead to believe he was a drunken Adam Dunn out there.

Add me to the list "give him a shot."

GOYA
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Really? I was lead to believe he was a drunken Adam Dunn out there.

It seems a lot of people have that view of him that haven't seen him. I couldn't tell you why.

Blitz Dorsey
04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
It certainly is not too early to be concerned about Alonso. He did just hit a HR tonight though. Hopefully he gets his act together.

_Sir_Charles_
04-28-2011, 07:23 PM

More to consider:

I know. :( This is exactly what I think whenever I think of Dorn. PERFECT, absolutely PERFECT platoon partner with Gomes. Those numbers are just beastly. Even with a regression to the bigs for Dorn.

The DARK
04-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Dunno what kind of curse Dorn has over his head right now that he isn't even deemed worthy of a Rule 5 selection. Perhaps it's poor plate discipline... that average and OBP vs lefties suggests he doesn't take many walks. He looks like the equivalent of Johnny Gomes without the veteran presence, and while that might not be good enough for the Reds, you'd think it would be useful to some team out there.

Love how our catchers are progressing so far as well. Any word on how Grandal is progressing as a switch hitter?

dougdirt
04-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Dunno what kind of curse Dorn has over his head right now that he isn't even deemed worthy of a Rule 5 selection. Perhaps it's poor plate discipline... that average and OBP vs lefties suggests he doesn't take many walks. He looks like the equivalent of Johnny Gomes without the veteran presence, and while that might not be good enough for the Reds, you'd think it would be useful to some team out there.

Well except that Gomes struggles against righties, who make up a large majority of the league, while Dorn struggles against lefteis, who make up a minority of the league. Dorn does have holes in his swing against lefties and righties, but I still think that for whatever reason there is more focus on what he doesn't do rather than what he does.

Doc. Scott
04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
It certainly is not too early to be concerned about Alonso. He did just hit a HR tonight though. Hopefully he gets his act together.

Basically, the better he hits at Louisville, the more the Reds will be able to get for him at the trade deadline. I'd be very surprised if he ever plays LF for the Reds at the major league level.