PDA

View Full Version : Monday 5/2/11

cinreds21
05-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Mudcats are down 8-4 in the bottom of the seventh.

Dallas Buck started today and gave up six runs, but only one was earned. Medina has thrown two innings, surrendering two runs.

Edd Roush
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Mudcats lost 9-4. Muddie should have stuck around.

Rojas did have three hits to bring his season batting average to .313.

Puckett had an RBI double, but had one of the two Carolina errors.

Felix Perez had two hits.

muddie
05-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Had Carolina won this one they would have claimed their first series of the year. Perez may be coming around. He and Phipps have been futility at the top of the line up. Tough luck for Buck. Not going to dwell on it but it would have been really nice if the guys could have hit the road home with a win.

cinreds21
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I blame this entire loss on you, Muddie.

camisadelgolf
05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I know it's too little, too late, but the Reds should have a much-improved AA squad next year. The bullpen will be solid (Joseph, Christiani, Ware, a return of Boxberger?). The rotation has some potential (Fairel, Sulbaran, Villarreal, Ravin, Shunick). And the everyday lineup will be exciting (Grandal, Soto, Rodriguez, Greene, Rojas, Puckett, LaMarre, Means, Fellhauer, Fleury, Hunt, Rodriguez). And that's not even mentioning some other guys that might repeat (Day, Coddington, Perez, Kahaulelio, Buchholz). Oh, and how could I forget about minor league free agents that come in?

Depending on how the draft turns out, Dayton might be a little weak on offense next year (although there's a lot of upside in Torreyes, Arias, and Waldrop), but the rotation will be stacked (Cisco, Correa, Johnson, Clarke, Guillon, Mugarian, et al).

Altogether, the Reds' minor league affiliates should be in great shape next year. My only concern will be Louisville's pitching since it's unlikely that LeCure, Maloney, Thompson, Willis, Reineke, Lehr, Cochran, Herrera, etc. will be around to help.

cinreds21
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I know it's too little, too late, but the Reds should have a much-improved AA squad next year. The bullpen will be solid (Joseph, Christiani, Ware, a return of Boxberger?). The rotation has some potential (Fairel, Sulbaran, Villarreal, Ravin, Shunick). And the everyday lineup will be exciting (Grandal, Soto, Rodriguez, Greene, Rojas, Puckett, LaMarre, Means, Fellhauer, Fleury, Hunt, Rodriguez). And that's not even mentioning some other guys that might repeat (Day, Coddington, Perez, Kahaulelio, Buchholz). Oh, and how could I forget about minor league free agents that come in?

Depending on how the draft turns out, Dayton might be a little weak on offense next year (although there's a lot of upside in Torreyes, Arias, and Waldrop), but the rotation will be stacked (Cisco, Correa, Johnson, Clarke, Guillon, Mugarian, et al).

Altogether, the Reds' minor league affiliates should be in great shape next year. My only concern will be Louisville's pitching since it's unlikely that LeCure, Maloney, Thompson, Willis, Reineke, Lehr, Cochran, Herrera, etc. will be around to help.

No one can predict something that will happen a year from now but I don't think all those guys repeat Double-A. Boxberger could be up in Louisville by mid season. Puckett won't be back (unless he bombs the rest of the way) and Rojas could leave via free agency.

The DARK
05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
At this point, I wouldn't assume that Grandal will be limited to AA with the power and plate discipline he's shown. I smell a midseason promotion for him.

Boxberger has been good so far, hasn't he? Barring another bullpen meltdown like last season, I don't see how he repeats.

You bring up a good point though, where does Maloney go? If Lecure is a better spot starter and longman, and the long-term plan for Chapman is the rotation, that puts Maloney 9th on the starting depth chart, and without a real role in the bullpen. Unless he's to be the Corky Miller of pitching, he doesn't have a place with the reds, and there's no reason for us to have him on the 40 man if he isn't an integral part of the Reds' future.

HokieRed
05-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Frankly I assume they will try to work out a trade for Maloney in order a. to get something for him and b. to give him a chance to have a career somewhere else. At this point, that's both the practical and decent thing to do and I think they will, as soon as one can be arranged.

cinreds21
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Hokie, I can see Maloney as a third or fourth player in a big deal that could happen. If one were to happen, that is.

GOYA
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Bakersfield gets 3 in the 1st.

Fellhauer double
Campbell double

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Bakersfield has a 7-0 lead after 1 1/2 innings.

Grandal is 0-for-0 with two walks and Eric Campbell is 2-for-2 with a double, grand slam (HR #5), and 6 RBI.

HokieRed
05-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Probably should move Campbell as quickly as possible to AA. Not much more reason to keep him at Bakersfield.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Yasmani Grandal now has 20 walks in 93 plate appearances this season.

mace
05-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Yasmani Grandal now has 20 walks in 93 plate appearances this season.

He's walking .215.

mace
05-03-2011, 12:09 AM
It's 10-3 Bakersfield after five, with Janke pitching. But the Blaze can't be done, because Stephen Hunt doesn't have an RBI yet . . . Campbell seems to have cornered the market on those for the night . . . Grandal, with his two walks, is the only guy in the lineup without a hit . . . Henry Rodriguez also homered.