PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips and Paul Janish

The DARK
05-03-2011, 08:02 PM
The best defensive middle infield in the majors.

After that last play, it's not even close anymore.

DocRed
05-05-2011, 09:41 AM
f0 sh0

Red in Atl
05-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Which play?

Oxblood
05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Agreed, unless Dusty put Janish @ 3rd. :confused:

brm7675
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM

And what happens....old Dusty moves janish to 3rd today so his AARP player can play SS because he is to scared to play third....:thumbdown:

Stray
05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
And what happens....old Dusty moves janish to 3rd today so his AARP player can play SS because he is to scared to play third....:thumbdown:

Too scared to play 3rd? Maybe he's just not confident he can play the position?

Janish has a great glove and arm and is valuable anywhere in the infield, I would assume he could even pitch or catch in a marathon game. With Rolen and Francisco on the DL we don't exactly have a lot of options there...if Janish can field the position well, why not?

brm7675
05-05-2011, 04:12 PM

That's called being scared and not worthy of a roster spot.

Stray
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
That's called being scared and not worthy of a roster spot.

Haha, right. Because he signed here to play 3rd. When you have your 2 top 3rd basemen on the DL you gotta find a way to make something work....and Janish works.

I know they were experimenting with it in ST, or at least I heard that they were, so I assume that sorted it out.

brm7675
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Haha, right. Because he signed here to play 3rd. When you have your 2 top 3rd basemen on the DL you gotta find a way to make something work....and Janish works.

I know they were experimenting with it in ST, or at least I heard that they were, so I assume that sorted it out.

Here is how you make it work, You DFA Edgar, you put Valieka at 3rd and Janish at SS and there you go. You allow Cairo to spell Chris every so often at third till Rolen returns....works for me.:thumbup:

Stray
05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Here is how you make it work, You DFA Edgar, you put Valieka at 3rd and Janish at SS and there you go. You allow Cairo to spell Chris every so often at third till Rolen returns....works for me.:thumbup:

Wouldn't that be making a change for no reason at all?

Renteria has played well so far this season, and is a huge asset as a pinch hitter in late game situations. Why on Earth would you DFA him and make your team weaker?

brm7675
05-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't that be making a change for no reason at all?

Renteria has played well so far this season, and is a huge asset as a pinch hitter in late game situations. Why on Earth would you DFA him and make your team weaker?

Because I don't believe it makes the team weaker. He refuses to play anything but SS, which we already have 2 better options for. What little he brings at the plate isn't enough to warrent his remaining on the team.

Stray
05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Because I don't believe it makes the team weaker. He refuses to play anything but SS, which we already have 2 better options for. What little he brings at the plate isn't enough to warrent his remaining on the team.

He is our 2nd best SS, I'm pretty confident there. He can handle the bat very well, fill in on spot starts and be productive and it's hard to put a value on how clutch he is.

brm7675
05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
He is our 2nd best SS, I'm pretty confident there. He can handle the bat very well, fill in on spot starts and be productive and it's hard to put a value on how clutch he is.

2nd best? How about 3rd if that, he has no range and is error machine. Clutch? Really what a joke.

KYRedLeg
05-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Janish has a great glove and arm and is valuable anywhere in the infield, I would assume he could even pitch or catch in a marathon game. With Rolen and Francisco on the DL we don't exactly have a lot of options there...if Janish can field the position well, why not?

Been there, done that (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090707&content_id=5735644&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb). Wasn't bad, considering we were already down 16-1.

Stray
05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
2nd best? How about 3rd if that, he has no range and is error machine. Clutch? Really what a joke.

I'm assuming you're saying Valaika is better than Renteria now, I find that hilarious.

When we signed Renteria you were saying how Dusty would start him every game and how Janish would never play. Now that Janish is our everyday SS and filling in on occasion at 3rd while Renteria is a steady bench/role player you're trying to say he doesn't even deserve to be on the team. Between Heisey/Renteria/Cairo we have a stable of good bats to pinch hit and I like that. There are all kinds of things to complain about when it comes to how we've been playing this year, why you're trying to say Renteria doesn't deserve to be on the team is beyond me. He's been solid considering the role he's taken on.

davereds24
05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Why do you guys even try to argue with this kid? The fact that he wants to DFA the guy with the 2nd best OBP on the team should tell you it's a lost cause.

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm assuming you're saying Valaika is better than Renteria now, I find that hilarious.

When we signed Renteria you were saying how Dusty would start him every game and how Janish would never play. Now that Janish is our everyday SS and filling in on occasion at 3rd while Renteria is a steady bench/role player you're trying to say he doesn't even deserve to be on the team. Between Heisey/Renteria/Cairo we have a stable of good bats to pinch hit and I like that. There are all kinds of things to complain about when it comes to how we've been playing this year, why you're trying to say Renteria doesn't deserve to be on the team is beyond me. He's been solid considering the role he's taken on.

Lol, riiiiiight.

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Why do you guys even try to argue with this kid? The fact that he wants to DFA the guy with the 2nd best OBP on the team should tell you it's a lost cause.

Lol, I'd like to see your idea of a lineup. From what I've seen you suggest Rent, Hern & Cairo deserve to be everyday starters with BP staying put in the clean up spot.

bounty37h
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM

You think he is a kid? I picture an older, very bitter and lonely man when I read his posts. I sometimes wonder if he even believes what he says and is just typing to argue and have some form of human contact.

Stray
05-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Lol, riiiiiight.

Wait...what? That can't even be argued since it isn't an opinion. Paul Janish is our starting shortstop.

Stray
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Lol, I'd like to see your idea of a lineup. From what I've seen you suggest Rent, Hern & Cairo deserve to be everyday starters with BP staying put in the clean up spot.

1. Our top two 3rd basemen are injured so Cairo and Renteria are naturally going to get more playing time
2. Hanigan has had two good games this year and the rest have been horrific
3. Phillips is the only logical answer in the 4 spot since he's the only hitter on our team consistent enough to give Votto a bit of protection

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Wait...what? That can't even be argued since it isn't an opinion. Paul Janish is our starting shortstop.

You would think he would actually start at shortstop instead of 3B then, no?

Stray
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
You would think he would actually start at shortstop instead of 3B then, no?

Do you really think Janish would be starting at 3rd if Rolen and Francisco weren't on the DL?

When your team is hurting you have to fill guys in to field a team. Janish's versatility, arm and glove make him a solid option at 3rd till our guys can get healthy. You're acting like Dusty is wanting to play him there and not doing it out of necessity.

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Do you really think Janish would be starting at 3rd if Rolen and Francisco weren't on the DL?

When your team is hurting you have to fill guys in to field a team. Janish's versatility, arm and glove make him a solid option at 3rd till our guys can get healthy. You're acting like Dusty is wanting to play him there and not doing it out of necessity.

You're quite fond of Dusty, no?

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
1. Our top two 3rd basemen are injured so Cairo and Renteria are naturally going to get more playing time
2. Hanigan has had two good games this year and the rest have been horrific
3. Phillips is the only logical answer in the 4 spot since he's the only hitter on our team consistent enough to give Votto a bit of protection

Ok, you want Cairo at 3rd, Rent at SS, Hern at C. Who would you put in LF?

(I take it you would keep Stubbs in CF & Bruce in RF)

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Today's lineup proves Janish isn't our starting SS.

Stray
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said I wanted Cairo to be starting at 3rd or Renteria at SS, I said I understand why they are getting some starts there given the current situation we're in injury wise. You can't look at one day's starting lineup and determine who the overall starters are.

Janish IS our starting shortstop, that can't even be argued so I have no idea why I'm even saying it again. I don't know what line of thinking you're even on, but I would hope you understand how having your top two third basemen injured would affect a team and its everyday lineups.

And yes, I am quite fond of Dusty. He's a winner and he gets the most out of his players...is he perfect? No of course not, but I look at the way his teams play and the things his players say about him and I'm more than comfortable with him leading our guys.

And for the record, I would like a platoon in LF. I need to see more out of Fred Lewis to have any real opinion on him but he obviously arrived with a bang yesterday.

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said I wanted Cairo to be starting at 3rd or Renteria at SS, I said I understand why they are getting some starts there given the current situation we're in injury wise. You can't look at one day's starting lineup and determine who the overall starters are.

Janish IS our starting shortstop, that can't even be argued so I have no idea why I'm even saying it again. I don't know what line of thinking you're even on, but I would hope you understand how having your top two third basemen injured would affect a team and its everyday lineups.

And yes, I am quite fond of Dusty. He's a winner and he gets the most out of his players...is he perfect? No of course not, but I look at the way his teams play and the things his players say about him and I'm more than comfortable with him leading our guys.

And for the record, I would like a platoon in LF. I need to see more out of Fred Lewis to have any real opinion on him but he obviously arrived with a bang yesterday.

That explains it.

So our starter plays 3B and bats 8th and our backup plays SS and bats 2nd???????

You'd have a hard time convincing an outsider that said player batting 8th is the actual starter at the position that he isn't playing.

Stray
05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
That explains it.

If me being a supporter of Dusty explains the basic understanding of how injuries can negatively affect a team then I will gladly take that as a compliment. :thumbup:

Oxblood
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
If me being a supporter of Dusty explains the basic understanding of how injuries can negatively affect a team then I will gladly take that as a compliment. :thumbup:

The day Dusty is gone from this team, we instantly become better.

Edit: IMO

SidneySlicker
05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
The day Dusty is gone from this team, we instantly become better.

Managerial moves are incredibly overated imo. Dusty as a strategist is probably subpar. However I think you and many others, intentially or not, overlook Dusty's role in the overall chemistry and self confidence of this team. People forget that this is an incredibly young and inexperienced team, and how fragile the psychies of those players are and can be.

Last year despite the fact that they where NL Central champions, and had the NL MVP I think many would say they overachieved. This team is what it is. They are a good run producing team, with a bunch of middle rotation pitchers (performance based not potential based) and a young pen. I'm not sure what manager people think is out there that could have done more with this team than what Dusty has.

jredmo2
05-07-2011, 04:39 AM
This is not the thing to get on Dusty for. If Renteria can't play third, he can't play third. He has been okay batting this year; he's shown a better bat than Valaika. It sucks Janish got hurt, but it's not like he got hurt playing 3rd, he was baserunning. It was the best infield option.