PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hoard the new Bengals radio voice

Hoosier Red
05-04-2011, 06:20 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2011/05/04/dan-hoard-new-bengals-radio-voice/

Good for Dan. I really like it when he calls a game.

Caveat Emperor
05-04-2011, 06:30 PM
The Brad & Dave combo was unlistenable. Glad to see that era of Bengals radio has passed.

ETA: I see on the Enquirer that Hoard will keep his UC duties. That sounds half-past insane -- with ESPN having the Big East contract, it's entirely possible for Hoard to have an 8:00 PM kick for UC football in someplace like Morgantown, WV and then need to be at a Bengals game by 1:00 PM the next day.

Not a lot of redeye flights leaving WVU for Houston or Kansas City.

paintmered
05-04-2011, 06:58 PM
I love me some Dan Hoard. Of course, it's easy to say that when he's the voice of my alma mater.

davereds24
05-04-2011, 07:27 PM
The Brad & Dave combo was unlistenable. Glad to see that era of Bengals radio has passed.

ETA: I see on the Enquirer that Hoard will keep his UC duties. That sounds half-past insane -- with ESPN having the Big East contract, it's entirely possible for Hoard to have an 8:00 PM kick for UC football in someplace like Morgantown, WV and then need to be at a Bengals game by 1:00 PM the next day.

Thom does it all the time, I'm sure they might have to hire a private jet once or twice but not often. Luckily UC has a bye the day before the Bengals are in Seattle. He shouldn't really have a problem looking at the schedules this year.

Joseph
05-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Good move, I like Hoard in this role. Not so much with the Reds

blumj
05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
His Pawsox blog will be missed. I hope he keeps blogging, whether the Bengals or something else.

Reds Fanatic
05-05-2011, 12:41 PM

They did say if there are conflicts he may end up missing some UC games. Though Dave Lapham also has this same type of schedule. He does TV for Big 12 games every Saturday and then just flies to whatever city the Bengals are in for Sunday.

bucksfan2
05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I liked Brad. I thought he was a smooth game caller and had a good voice. I can't say the same thing about Lap, but I don't mind a homer for my teams.

SunDeck
05-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Honestly, I couldn't understand Brad when anything exciting happened. Lapham? I have always taken him for what he is- very knowledgeable about the game and possessing many inside connections, but not so talented with the microphone. On balance, I don't think he has detracted from the broadcasts except when he screamed into the mic like Brad.

BoydsOfSummer
05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought Hoard did a fine job on Reds games. I've never heard much of him other than that.

hebroncougar
05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
The Bengals broadcast team has sounded like a couple of high school kids to me. Maybe Dan can improve that.

freestyle55
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen anywhere that the Bengals' actually thanked Johansen for his 11/12 years of service. If I missed it, then fine, otherwise yet another classless move by the worst front office/ownership in sports.

I liked having Brad and Lap announce the games, they were the only thing making most of the Bengals' games exciting. Not a UC guy and apprarently didn't catch any of the games Dan Hoard did with the Reds, so I have no opinion on him, but I'm sure the actual "questions" Johansen asked Mike Brown had no bearing on him being let go.

god I hate this team more and more everyday...

Caveat Emperor
05-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I love me some Dan Hoard. Of course, it's easy to say that when he's the voice of my alma mater.

I listen to a lot of UC stuff, I find Hoard to be just OK. There's a quality to his voice that I'm just not a huge fan of. I think he's actually better for basketball than football, but that's just my opinion.

Sea Ray
05-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Honestly, I couldn't understand Brad when anything exciting happened. Lapham? I have always taken him for what he is- very knowledgeable about the game and possessing many inside connections, but not so talented with the microphone. On balance, I don't think he has detracted from the broadcasts except when he screamed into the mic like Brad.

It's OK for the color guy to scream into the mic but for the play by play guy to do it is completely inappropriate. I am so glad to see this change although it is long overdue

Sea Ray
05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd give Phil Samp the nod as the best play by play Bengal announcer ever and a 2nd place to Pete Arbogast

Newport Red
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd give Phil Samp the nod as the best play by play Bengal announcer ever and a 2nd place to Pete Arbogast

Samp was the best.
Did they have a color guy when Samp was announcing?

paintmered
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I listen to a lot of UC stuff, I find Hoard to be just OK. There's a quality to his voice that I'm just not a huge fan of. I think he's actually better for basketball than football, but that's just my opinion.

Ya know, now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I've heard Hoard call a football game. I'm either at the game or watching it on TV.

Does anyone know if he'll be able to continue doing PawSox games? He's going to have a busy schedule. Edit: it looks like he is leaving the Pawtucket job.

Sea Ray
05-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Samp was the best.
Did they have a color guy when Samp was announcing?

Yep, Jimmy Crum, Donn Burroughs and a host of others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_broadcasters