PDA

View Full Version : If I were Edinson Volquez.....

zacharync
05-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I would want to have some words with Marty.

Something along the lines of "why don't you come down here old man, and show me how it's done. You speak like you have it all figured out. How many ML games have you ever pitched in?."

I would translate to Spanish but I don't feel like it.

jfleur87
05-06-2011, 04:54 PM
If I were Edinson Volquez I'd throw strikes and try not to overthrow every pitch in big situations.

zacharync
05-06-2011, 04:57 PM
If I were Edinson Volquez I'd throw strikes and try not to overthrow every pitch in big situations.

No kidding. Do you think he is missing the zone on purpose?

I am strictly speaking of Marty's comments today running the guy into the ground.

Stray
05-06-2011, 05:39 PM
What did Marty say? I was following the game online.

defender
05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I'd thank the lord I was playing the Cubs today.

big boy
05-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Something along the lines of "why don't you come down here old man, and show me how it's done. You speak like you have it all figured out. How many ML games have you ever pitched in?."

Many a player could say the same sort of thing to many an announcer. Volquez should focus on his game.

jfleur87
05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I am strictly speaking of Marty's comments today running the guy into the ground.

That is the Marty that I know. Kind of why I like him. Gives credit where credit is due, but he also gets pretty salty on the air. I liken him to a crabby grandpa who will continuously throw racial slurs at the worst possible moment.

Regardless, game ball goes to Sam LeCure, and Volquez should take him out for a steak dinner for preserving the win.

zacharync
05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
That is the Marty that I know. Kind of why I like him. Gives credit where credit is due, but he also gets pretty salty on the air. I liken him to a crabby grandpa who will continuously throw racial slurs at the worst possible moment.

Regardless, game ball goes to Sam LeCure, and Volquez should take him out for a steak dinner for preserving the win.

Fair enough. I normally think Marty is a fair guy, I just think he got carried away today. He made Volquez seem like the worst thing that has ever happened to the Reds. Which I am sure we can all agree is not the case.

zacharync
05-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Many a player could say the same sort of thing to many an announcer. Volquez should focus on his game.

Is that a fact? I grant you, I am new to listening to the Red's on the radio as that is my only option. Is it routine to have your home voice ripping into your own players relentlessly?

zacharync
05-06-2011, 06:51 PM

I should have written the quotes down. It basically boiled down to him making sarcastic remarks every time he threw a ball.

Krawhitham
05-06-2011, 06:57 PM
If I were Edinson Volquez.....

I would cut my dreads so my hat did not fall off when running the bases

I would also get back on the roids because that was the only time I could pitch worth a damn

DocRed
05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
He has sucked big time this year....the only person he needs to blame is himself. A stint in the bullpen would serve him well...

zacharync
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I would cut my dreads so my hat did not fall off when running the bases

I would also get back on the roids because that was the only time I could pitch worth a damn

He got the win today.

Maker_84
05-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Marty is the best play by play announcer in all of sports, he can say whatever he wants

zacharync
05-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Marty is the best play by play announcer in all of sports, he can say whatever he wants

Ha. Is that a fact? how objective of you.

DocRed
05-06-2011, 07:40 PM

+1, for those who want "company men" calling their games watch Chris Welsh and Thom on TV.

Jack Burton
05-06-2011, 08:18 PM
1 of these guys is a HOFer & 1 is not. I'll take the side of the HOFer.

redsfanmia
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Marty is particularly hard on Latino players IMO. Marty seems to pick out one or two players every year to dog on a daily basis, his time has passed and Reds baseball will be much more enjoyable when the team cuts ties with the Brennemans IMO.

signalhome
05-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Marty is particularly hard on Latino players IMO. Marty seems to pick out one or two players every year to dog on a daily basis, his time has passed and Reds baseball will be much more enjoyable when the team cuts ties with the Brennemans IMO.

I don't listen to the radio much, but I listened a few times back when Dunn was with the Reds, and Marty never had a good word to say about the guy. I'm guessing he's the same way with Volquez. Maybe it's because I'm only 24 and I didn't grow up listening to him or whatever, but I have never been a fan of Marty; that whole cranky old grandfather style (as someone put it earlier in the thread) just doesn't do it for me, sorry. Still, I think I'd rather listen to Marty than Thom -- that alone says how much Thom really gets under my skin.

big boy
05-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Is that a fact? I grant you, I am new to listening to the Red's on the radio as that is my only option. Is it routine to have your home voice ripping into your own players relentlessly?

Of course it is a fact. Pro players of all types get upset at what is spoken or written about them. This seems like common knowledge.

Marty is unique in ripping the home team. He has been known to tell plenty of them that confronted him, "I was here before you and I'll be here after you are gone." He speaks to the fans, though. The players would be wise not to listen.

UPRedsFan
05-06-2011, 10:16 PM

Couldn't disagree more! Marty is a legend for a reason. He might dog players when they're bad, and might be down on the team when they're losing, but he has an incredible gift and is a joy to listen to when the team does something exciting. Case in point, the Jay Bruce clinching home run call last year. Many of us grew up listening to Marty in the 70's and 80's. Reds baseball will not be the same when he leaves.

Is Jim Kelch the replacement? Adequate but boring.

mroby85
05-06-2011, 10:34 PM

I agree, I think what makes Marty such a great announcer is that he doesn't hold back his opinion, and calls it like he sees it. I prefer announcing like this, opposed to not saying anything outside of stating what is happening on the field. Along with that, Volquez has been completely frustrating this year by not finding the strike zone. He also didn't get any help today between Janish and Renteria, but he needs to throw strikes. I'm not saying he isn't trying to throw strikes, i'm just saying him consistently walking several people a game is getting ridiculous.

Maker_84
05-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I agree, I think what makes Marty such a great announcer is that he doesn't hold back his opinion, and calls it like he sees it. I prefer announcing like this, opposed to not saying anything outside of stating what is happening on the field. Along with that, Volquez has been completely frustrating this year by not finding the strike zone. He also didn't get any help today between Janish and Renteria, but he needs to throw strikes. I'm not saying he isn't trying to throw strikes, i'm just saying him consistently walking several people a game is getting ridiculous.

+1, i hate announcers that beat around the bush. Marty speaks his mind and is not afraid to do so.

KYRedLeg
05-06-2011, 10:57 PM

The one I heard was just before LeCure came in: "By far, the biggest disappointment from this Reds club (ed - 2011) has been Edinson Volquez."

I....can't argue.

Krawhitham
05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
He got the win today.

he had a 9 ERA today

Krawhitham
05-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Marty is hard an anyone he believes is not giving 110%, he rode Dunn's ass all the time

Krawhitham
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM

Over the last ten year be has become one of the worse, he lets his displeasure with players color the announcing

texasdave
05-07-2011, 12:56 AM
I have the MLB radio package and during every game I usually listen to the opposing announcers for an inning or two. Based on that I will say that Marty is certainly in the top 2 or 3 of all the radio announcers I have heard in the last couple years.

texasdave
05-07-2011, 01:01 AM
LeCure will be solid in the pen. Don't let him start. I am tired of hearing about Volquez's stuff. His results are more important and are below average. When Edinson puts it together someone wake me up.

RedsFanInBama
05-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Volquez is paid big money to do a job. When you do it poorly, you get called out. That's part of being a major leaguer. The guy should thank his lucky stars he pitches in Cincinnati because if he pitched in New York or Chicago he'd be thrilled with Marty's criticism.

BluegrassRedleg
05-07-2011, 02:27 AM

All due respect, I'm not buying that. He's tough on anyone who is inconsistent. He's ridden guys like Dunn and Bailey and Bruce as hard as anyone in recent years.

Old NDN
05-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Hal McCoy has an interesting take on Volquez in his Sat. column in the DDN. He asks the question : "Is it time for Volquez to take a seat?" He makes some valid points..... and for a change, I kinda agree with him.

redssince75
05-07-2011, 10:44 AM
As a "newcomer" who only started listening to Marty in the last couple of years, I can say it is EXTREMELY refreshing to hear a home announcer actually voice criticism where it is due. This is usually not the case, college or pro. Relentless "sunshine pumpers" are the ones who get on my nerves -- those who can only see the positive and state optimistic "boy, if we just..." statements about teams that are playing .450 ball and have been for years and will be for years.

Jack Burton
05-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I actually question the loyalty of those that don't appreciate the greatness of one Marty Brennaman. He is, without question, one of the greatest ever at his craft.

Must be Cubs or Cardinals fans.....

Vottomatic
05-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I was listening to the radio and paraphrasing, Marty's comments were directed at Volquez being the weakest #1 starter in either the division or the national league, and that if the Reds had any intention of contending they were either going to have to get more out of Volquez or find a better #1 starter. He criticized Volquez for having thrown like 70+ pitches by the 4th inning. Said he needs to be more efficient.

signalhome
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I actually question the loyalty of those that don't appreciate the greatness of one Marty Brennaman. He is, without question, one of the greatest ever at his craft.

Must be Cubs or Cardinals fans.....

Yeah, you nailed it. Since I don't like Marty Brennaman, I worship at the altar of La Russa. I just don't like announcers who go to either extreme. Marty and George Grande are on opposite ends of the spectrum (one picks players to bash constantly, the other is positive about everything to the point of annoyance), and I can't stand listening to either one. I don't know how that makes me any less of a Reds fan.

Someone called Kelch boring earlier, but I think he's been fantastic. Maybe I just like guys who aren't constantly spouting their opinions about players, since I can arrive at my own conclusions about a player's value.

zacharync
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I was listening to the radio and paraphrasing, Marty's comments were directed at Volquez being the weakest #1 starter in either the division or the national league, and that if the Reds had any intention of contending they were either going to have to get more out of Volquez or find a better #1 starter. He criticized Volquez for having thrown like 70+ pitches by the 4th inning. Said he needs to be more efficient.

That is an accurate description. However, there were quite a few snide/sarcastic comments thrown into the mix.

I don't have any problem with Marty, generally speaking. I just thought yesterday he was really running Volquez into the ground.

As a player, I would take offense to his tone. It was as though he was talking like Volquez was intentionally walking batters.

zacharync
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Of course it is a fact. Pro players of all types get upset at what is spoken or written about them. This seems like common knowledge.

Marty is unique in ripping the home team. He has been known to tell plenty of them that confronted him, "I was here before you and I'll be here after you are gone." He speaks to the fans, though. The players would be wise not to listen.

Fair enough. Though I was obviously just speaking to the home voice ripping players on the team.

redsfanmia
05-07-2011, 04:42 PM
All due respect, I'm not buying that. He's tough on anyone who is inconsistent. He's ridden guys like Dunn and Bailey and Bruce as hard as anyone in recent years.

He has rode guys like Dunn and Bruce and Bailey but he seems to get on the Latino guys more often, just my opinion. He used to kill Wily Mo, EE, Tavares, Cueto and Volquez.

redsfanmia
05-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Over the last ten year be has become one of the worse, he lets his displeasure with players color the announcing

I emailed the Reds last season after a banana phone session complaining about the way Marty handled callers, I got an email back from Marty basically telling me in a nice way to go to hell.

Vottomatic
05-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I emailed the Reds last season after a banana phone session complaining about the way Marty handled callers, I got an email back from Marty basically telling me in a nice way to go to hell.

So did you take his advice? :D

Hondo
05-07-2011, 06:00 PM

If you were Edinson Volquez, I would tell you to wear your Baseball Cap Straight.

Old NDN
05-08-2011, 09:04 AM
If you were Edinson Volquez, I would tell you to wear your Baseball Cap Straight.

What? You don't like the cool, dreadlock - panty hose skull cap - crooked hat look? Surely that gangsta style has made him pitch better? If I were him, I would try a different look, just to see if it might change my luck.lol. Whatever it takes. Although he is 3-0.

mlh1981
05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I have no problem with the Volquez comments. Marty is like a tough parent type who just wants him to gets better. If he didn't care, and/or didn't think much of Volquez's potential, he wouldn't rip into him like he did. Quite frankly, Volquez deserves it at times. Big things were expected out of him, and he hasn't delivered.

swaisuc
05-09-2011, 08:45 AM
The problem with Marty saying things like that is the group-think that results from it. I watch basically every game on the TV or at the stadium and I can still tell which Red Marty railed on that day just listening to people talk about the Reds. Watch this week how many casual Reds fans are suddenly talking about how inefficient Volquez is or how bad of a #1 starter he is.

Is that Marty's fault? Probably not. With the knowledge he has and the time he invests in the Reds, he is more than entitled to voice his opinion. It's still pretty annoying when half the fans decide which players are gods and which players they hate based on his comments. I would rather people form their own opinions or better yet, cheer players even if they're struggling because they're wearing the Cincinnati uniform. The more Marty talks, the more unrealistic that becomes.

bounty37h
05-09-2011, 09:26 AM

No, he is hard on those who arent giving it their all. He used to rip Griffey for not running balls out. He ragged Dunn for his lazy play. I dont think this is a spot to try and play the race card, he simply doesnt cuddle lazy play. I find it refreshing to hear the truth instead of being fed Cardinals style homerism.

Captain13
05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, you nailed it. Since I don't like Marty Brennaman, I worship at the altar of La Russa. I just don't like announcers who go to either extreme. Marty and George Grande are on opposite ends of the spectrum (one picks players to bash constantly, the other is positive about everything to the point of annoyance), and I can't stand listening to either one. I don't know how that makes me any less of a Reds fan.

Someone called Kelch boring earlier, but I think he's been fantastic. Maybe I just like guys who aren't constantly spouting their opinions about players, since I can arrive at my own conclusions about a player's value.

I agree 100%. Call the game, add a little bit of color, but let me decide each player's (and management member's) value. I don't need Marty to tell me that Wily Mo Pena is terrible or that Jim Bowden is arrogent. I think Marty is a big part of the reason Reds fans are bashing Homer.

bounty37h
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree 100%. Call the game, add a little bit of color, but let me decide each player's (and management member's) value. I don't need Marty to tell me that Wily Mo Pena is terrible or that Jim Bowden is arrogent. I think Marty is a big part of the reason Reds fans are bashing Homer.

Hmm, I dont know, if I am watching/listening to a game, I think I can figure out for myself any of that info. I listen to hear what is going on in play if not watching, but am able to make my own conclusions. If I am watching I dont need to hear anyone to be honest, other then to catch up if missed a play or call and need to find out what I missed. Other then that I cant tell you 90% of what any announcer says, I tune them out and just enjoy the game on the field.

signalhome
05-09-2011, 01:38 PM

I also think Marty had a large role to play in the majority of fans' hatred for Adam Dunn. Someone earlier touched on his effect on the hive-mind, and I fully agree with that. As I said, I don't listen to him very much at all, but when I did, all he did was bash Dunn. Even his compliments weren't without their vitriol, with things like "sure, he hit two home runs last night, but let's not forget those two strikeouts as well." Things along that nature; it got under my skin really fast. I have very little doubt that the constant barrage of snide comments toward Dunn went a long way in influencing how the fans eventually came to hate a guy who was a constant 40 HR/100 RBI/100 R/.380 OBP player.

signalhome
05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
No, he is hard on those who arent giving it their all. He used to rip Griffey for not running balls out. He ragged Dunn for his lazy play. I dont think this is a spot to try and play the race card, he simply doesnt cuddle lazy play. I find it refreshing to hear the truth instead of being fed Cardinals style homerism.

I still don't understand why people think Dunn was lazy. Some people have an easy-going style of play; that doesn't make them lazy. I guarantee you that Dunn put in countless hours of work toward his swing every year, including the offseason. You don't get to be as good as Adam Dunn without working hard at it almost every day of your life. He was a horrid defender, sure. So is Jonny Gomes, yet nobody calls him lazy. It looks like Gomes is giving 110% more effort than Dunn every play because Gomes is a faster player than Dunn. Dunn never had any business being an outfielder, as he was far too slow to ever be successful there, and his inability to get to just about any ball hit to left field gave the appearance of him being lazy.