PDA

View Full Version : Danny Dorn

GOYA
05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Dorn has been in a very bad slump for a while now. The timing of it seems to coincide with the time he was away from the club "for personal reasons". I have no idea what those reasons were or if they have anything to do with Danny's slump but something is definitely working against him. One good thing about him recently is that he is taking walks at a much higher rate than early in the season.

His last 10 games:

.107/.265/.179 .443

And a recent video with Danny:

YouTube - Bats 1B/OF Danny Dorn talks 2011 season (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZykOZhQREZQ&)

GOYA
05-16-2011, 12:05 AM
In the 6 games since I started this thread, Danny has hit .500. (12 for 24 and 3 BB)

cinreds21
05-16-2011, 12:47 AM
In the 6 games since I started this thread, Danny has hit .500. (12 for 24 and 3 BB)

He must read RZ.

Scrap Irony
05-16-2011, 09:52 AM
His swing is short and to the point. With power. I really like this guy, but he'll likely never get a chance in Cincinnati. At worst, IMO, he's the long side of a league average DH platoon.

gedred69
05-16-2011, 11:27 PM
He never got a legit chance with the Reds for what reason, I haven't a clue. He was ready to hit MLB RH pitching 2 years ago. He was integral to Cal State Fullerton's NCAA championship, hindered draft wise by an injured shoulder, which has never since been a problem. He has never done anything but hit throughout his professional career. Yet, he has always been the perverbial bridesmaid. Don't get it, when considering the guys the Reds have given opportunity to, even though they have shown such basic inabilities like, "can't hit a curveball". Dorn deserves and has earned at least a shot.

The DARK
05-17-2011, 12:24 AM
I wonder what it is that the MLB scouts and coaches know that we don't. He's never had the chance to prove himself against MLB hitting, but the Reds exposed him to Rule 5 instead of Philippe Valiquette, and there were no takers. What fatal flaw prevents him from being useful in the major leagues, and how could it be so bad that he's useless even as a late Rule 5 pickup? It's hard to believe how a former prospect could be completely ignored and left to rot in AAA.

dougdirt
05-17-2011, 12:40 AM
I wonder what it is that the MLB scouts and coaches know that we don't. He's never had the chance to prove himself against MLB hitting, but the Reds exposed him to Rule 5 instead of Philippe Valiquette, and there were no takers. What fatal flaw prevents him from being useful in the major leagues, and how could it be so bad that he's useless even as a late Rule 5 pickup? It's hard to believe how a former prospect could be completely ignored and left to rot in AAA.

There are a few ideas....

He isn't good defensively.

He doesn't hit LHP well, meaning he is likely a platoon guy at best.

Teams try to find a steal with the Rule 5 rather than the guy that can help them. Does anyone honestly believe that Jeremy Horst was a worse player to try to put on a 25 man roster for 2011 than the guy who went 2nd overall in the Rule 5 who had a grand total of 42 innings pitched above rookie ball and all came in the Midwest League? No one took Horst, who as a left hander with solid average stuff and good control has done nothing but post a career 3.05 ERA over 395 innings with 375 strikeouts, all while coming off a season he split between AA/AAA with a 2.67 ERA and over a strikeout per inning.

With certain guys people tend to look at what they don't do rather than what they can do. For some reason its the opposite with other players (see Patterson, Corey or Taveras, Willy.... who can run, but can't hit, yet get chance after chance after chance).

Dorn is a free agent at the end of this year. I really hope his agent can find him an organization where he will get a shot. He isn't going to get it in Cincinnati because of the depth at the positions that he could play (LF/1B/DH).

mdccclxix
05-17-2011, 01:29 AM
There are a lot of teams that lack offense right now, specifically the Mariners who I've watched a bit this year. Dorn could bat cleanup 4 days a week for the M's and possibly really help them out.

GOYA
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Dorn's last 10 games:

.421/.452/.816 - 1.268

38 AB
16 H
3 2B
4 HR
2 BB
9 K
14 RBI

Season:

.313/.360/.521 - .891

vs RHP:

.362/.409/.600 - 1.009

vs LHP:

.190/.239/.357 - .596

oneupper
06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Rob Stratton redux?

dougdirt
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Rob Stratton redux?

Not even close. Stratton had lots of power, but he also struck out a ton and didn't walk much for the most part. Dorn doesn't have quite the same power, but he doesn't strike out nearly as much and walks quite a bit more (or at least has in his history).

mace
06-02-2011, 04:55 PM
I can understand if Dorn doesn't project, or if his talent is too limited; all of that. Nevertheless, it seems to me that when a guy produces consistently throughout an enduring minor-league career, he has at least earned the right to fail at the major-league level. And the organization owes it to itself to find out and close the book.