PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this deal?

brm7675
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Mets call and state that they will trade us David Wright for A. Chapman straight up.

Do you make that deal?

lonewolf371
05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
In a heartbeat.

signalhome
05-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Mets call and state that they will trade us David Wright for A. Chapman straight up.

Do you make that deal?

Without hesitation. One is already an absolute star, the other may not ever reach his full potential due to control issues. I love Chapman, but I don't even have to stop and think before I say yes to that deal.

lonewolf371
05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Without hesitation. One is already an absolute star, the other may not ever reach his full potential due to control issues. I love Chapman, but I don't even have to stop and think before I say yes to that deal.
The real question is: would the Mets make it? And I think the answer, with Wright under contract for a few more years and saying positive things about staying in New York, is a resounding "no". You'd have to offer a little more.

signalhome
05-09-2011, 06:14 PM
The real question is: would the Mets make it? And I think the answer, with Wright under contract for a few more years and saying positive things about staying in New York, is a resounding "no". You'd have to offer a little more.

I highly doubt it. I would think it would take Chapman plus another elite prospect, at the least. Not only is he locked up for three more years, but his salary over those three years is very reasonable, at something like $45 million. Getting him would not be cheap.

Krawhitham
05-09-2011, 06:19 PM
no

You would only have him for 2.5 years. We have Chapman for 4.5 more years

plus he makes
14m 2011
15m 2012
16m 2013 (if the club option is picked up)

lonewolf371
05-09-2011, 06:23 PM
no

You would only have him for 2.5 years. We have Chapman for 4.5 more years

plus he makes
14m 2011
15m 2012
16m 2013 (if the club option is picked up)
He would provide a huge middle-of-the-order-bat and protection for Votto. In the past he's been a good defender, although the sabermetric stats have really dropped off lately. Still, he's been a 4-6 WAR player over the course of his career, worth about $20-$30 million dollars on the free market. That's worth a high-upside bullpen/potential-starter with questionable control.

BluegrassRedleg
05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Depends on what your outlook is on this team. If you think the window of opportunity is this season and the next 2, you probably do it. If you think this is part of a long-term building plan, you gotta roll with pitching, pitching, pitching. Can never have enough.

But I'd love to see what Wright's power numbers would look like playing half his games in GABP.

redlegs7089
05-09-2011, 10:18 PM
no way in hell would the mets ever do this...so no point in arguing about it

mu4103
05-10-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't know how strongly the mets feel about Wright. But I will say this, a lot of times I think, as every fan does, that we tend to over-value our prospects. When you look at the Baseball America Top 100 prospects:
# 7 is Chapman
# 50 is Billy Hamilton
#64 is Mesoraco
#73 is Alonso
(Sappelt was not ranked at the beginning of the year)

Comparitively, the Royals, who have the most talented minor league stars, have 3 players in the top 10, 2 more in the top 20, and 4 more in the top 100.

The Reds have a very deep minor league system with a lot of talent, but Chapman is their only true star. I would do the deal for both sides.

webbbj
05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
im guessing it depends are we trading a starter or a closer

lonewolf371
05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't know how strongly the mets feel about Wright. But I will say this, a lot of times I think, as every fan does, that we tend to over-value our prospects. When you look at the Baseball America Top 100 prospects:
# 7 is Chapman
# 50 is Billy Hamilton
#64 is Mesoraco
#73 is Alonso
(Sappelt was not ranked at the beginning of the year)

Comparitively, the Royals, who have the most talented minor league stars, have 3 players in the top 10, 2 more in the top 20, and 4 more in the top 100.

The Reds have a very deep minor league system with a lot of talent, but Chapman is their only true star. I would do the deal for both sides.
I've seen some Mets fans say they would find another team if the Mets dealt away Wright. He's quite loved out there.

nux fan
05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
chapman has proven nothing he can barely throw strikes

davrix
05-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I would do it. I think Wright would fit in with the rest of the Reds. Plays hard, good D and he would work well as our number 4 hitter.

Natty Redlocks
05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Heck yes I do that. If I were a Mets fan, I'd want like Stubbs too though.

Edited to add that the only way it's even remotely possible is if Rolen suddenly retired; if that happened, all bets are off and I can't think of anyone I'd rather see them go after.

ntorvik
05-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Next question, if we're talking Mets and trading.

Would you rather have Wright or Reyes?

We have needs at both of these spots. Can you imagine that double play combo with Reyes and Phillips? Plus, we'd have another speed guy we could plug in at the top of the order, mess around with him and Stubbs at the top and see who fits better where. Janish just isn't going to get any better.

lonewolf371
05-10-2011, 04:23 PM

We have needs at both of these spots. Can you imagine that double play combo with Reyes and Phillips? Plus, we'd have another speed guy we could plug in at the top of the order, mess around with him and Stubbs at the top and see who fits better where. Janish just isn't going to get any better.
The double play would be worse with Reyes. Janish is the better defender.

I'm definitely not a fan of acquiring Reyes. Not to mention it would be impossible to get both without giving up someone important on the big league roster.

brm7675
05-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Janish is either the best SS in the game today fielding wise or in the top 3, Reyes isn't, so you go to the bat and Reyes holds the advantage. Then you go to costs and will Janish big time advantage, so overall advantage Janish

signalhome
05-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Janish is either the best SS in the game today fielding wise or in the top 3, Reyes isn't, so you go to the bat and Reyes holds the advantage. Then you go to costs and will Janish big time advantage, so overall advantage Janish

As highly as I think of Janish's glove, I originally thought calling him top 3 in the game was being a little generous. However...

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

Looks like I may have been wrong to question it. Arrange by UZR/150. Janish is #1 among qualifying shortstops, by a long shot. Using early-season UZR to judge someone is treading shaky ground (after all, Bruce is actually negative so far on the year, while Gomes is positive), but it's encouraging to see Janish putting up such good numbers from the defensive side. He may be one of the top 3 in the game after all. In either case, it's a joy to watch him out there.

Vottomatic
05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm starting to feel like a cleanup hitter is more in need than a leadoff hitter. A hitter behind Joey is desperately needed.

I'd hate to step on Rolen's feet, but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

nux fan
05-10-2011, 10:49 PM
stil think the mets want chapman

HUHUH
05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Wright would be a great addition to this team; offensively. I'm not sure what would happen with Rolen and whether I'd rather see him at third. But ignoring such external considerations, I'd take Wright for Chapman in a heartbeat.

Pete4prez
05-10-2011, 11:09 PM
No, Chapman is all upside and potential, he still is a possibility for being the staff ace.

Vottomatic
05-11-2011, 06:45 AM
No, Chapman is all upside and potential, he still is a possibility for being the staff ace.

He looked light years from being an ace last night. :eek:

CrosleyField
05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
As much as I like Gomes, the Reds need a left fielder who can hit .275 plus. That is the NEED of this team. More than another short stop and more than a 3rd baseman. Janish is pretty good and Rolen/Francisco is pretty good combo at 3rd. Just bad luck both of them are on the DL at the same time.

DocRed
05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
He is dangerously approaching Rick Ankiel territory....

freestyle55
05-11-2011, 08:57 AM
He is dangerously approaching Rick Ankiel territory....

Can we let him pitch more than 30 innings in his MLB career before we anoint him failed?

Good lord people...yes he didn't look good, yes he hasn't thrown a lot of strikes lately...

the guy has had about 1 FULL SEASON OF TRUE PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL!

DocRed
05-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Can we let him pitch more than 30 innings in his MLB career before we anoint him failed?

Good lord people...yes he didn't look good, yes he hasn't thrown a lot of strikes lately...

the guy has had about 1 FULL SEASON OF TRUE PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL!

That's not what I said at all...how about you not interpret what I said with your own words?

SidneySlicker
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
As much as I like Gomes, the Reds need a left fielder who can hit .275 plus. That is the NEED of this team. More than another short stop and more than a 3rd baseman. Janish is pretty good and Rolen/Francisco is pretty good combo at 3rd. Just bad luck both of them are on the DL at the same time.

I'd give Heisey a long look before Id start trading for outfielders. Especially with Sappelt down at triple a, I don't see any reason to give up assets when you should have your longterm solution answered.

However I don't see any bonified long term solutions at third and Wright would give the Reds an everyday solid third baseman and cleanup hitter who's right handed to split up votto and bruce. I'm a big believer in windows. Right now the reds are in a window to compete for a title. Fact is we don't know if joey is gonna resign, I think not. So why not go all in? I'm not saying deplete your whole farm system, but let's look to improve this team for the next few years any way possible. If you have a good scouting dept. Minor league depth can be replaced. Right now the reds have a bonified mvp, something they may not have again in our lifetime. Let's go all in.