PDA

View Full Version : Cards/Reds pitching matchups..

brm7675
05-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Well the Cards make their first visit to Cincy this year already leading the division and having a 2-1 edge on our Reds so far this season. So whom does the pitching matchup favor this weekend?

Friday: Bronson vs. Lohse
Sat: Cueto vs. McClellen
Sun: Wood vs. Carpenter

So far this season Lohse has been pitching way above his career numbers, and well we know if we get "good" Bronson what we can expect. On Sat Cueto will get his showdown with the Cards and the first shot at pitching against a very good hitting team. Then on Sunday poor Travis again gets matched up against the Cards ACE. Poor kid keeps seeming to pull that vs. the Cards. Right now I would say the following:

Friday's game: Advanatage Cards
Sat's game: Advantage Reds
Sun's game: Advantage Cards...

Sean_CaseyRules
05-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Friday and Saturday Redlegs have the advantage. Bronson and Cueto are gonna both pitch 7innings a piece, and give up a combined 5 runs. Reds are gonna win those both games.

Sunday's game is gonna be different. I see Wood and Carp both giving up 5 runs a piece, and the Reds winning it with late inning heroics, and sweeping the Cards.

Gomes is going to start to come out of his slump, hit 2 HR's and 6 RBI's during the series.
Votto and Phillips will struggle early, but half way through game 2 they'll go on an absolute tear.
Stubbs will play brilliant defensively, but struggle with his K's the whole series.
Bruce will hit a HR.
Hannigan and Hernandez will hit over .350 for the series.
Cairo and Renteria will be quiet this series
Janish will play brilliant D, but his Offense will struggle

mckbearcat48
05-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I see the matchups as almost a flip job..

Friday--Lohse has been smoke and mirrors so far. Advantage Arroyo
Saturday-McClellan is better than his peripherals. Advantage McClellan
Sunday--Carpenter should be way ahead, but he's not. Advantage None.

Magdal
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Well the Cards make their first visit to Cincy this year already leading the division and having a 2-1 edge on our Reds so far this season. So whom does the pitching matchup favor this weekend?

So far this season Lohse has been pitching way above his career numbers, and well we know if we get "good" Bronson what we can expect. On Sat Cueto will get his showdown with the Cards and the first shot at pitching against a very good hitting team. Then on Sunday poor Travis again gets matched up against the Cards ACE. Poor kid keeps seeming to pull that vs. the Cards. Right now I would say the following:

I agree, sort of.

Fri: Cards
Sat: Toss up
Sun: Reds in a big way.

The pitching will be a wash. It's the team that delivers the TIMELY hitting that will prevail. I don't see a sweep for either team.

will5979
05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Lord you guys are over-analyzing WAY too much, reminds me of the shortstop we have on our slow-pitch team that acts like every game is game 7 of the World Series, I had to look at him one day and say, "dude you are telling me WAY too much, just let me go swing the bat."

Same with this, just let the Reds play the games this weekend and see what happens, a sweep on either side would not surprise me this weekend.

brm7675
05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Lord you guys are over-analyzing WAY too much, reminds me of the shortstop we have on our slow-pitch team that acts like every game is game 7 of the World Series, I had to look at him one day and say, "dude you are telling me WAY too much, just let me go swing the bat."

Same with this, just let the Reds play the games this weekend and see what happens, a sweep on either side would not surprise me this weekend.

But that is what makes baseball great, is analyzing matchups and such, why else watch?

Swampturkey
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I never predict the outcome of games. For example, I seem to recall a Sunday night game at Busch vs. the Reds were our guy, with his nearly double digit era and pitching on 3 days rest didn't allow a run to you guys and the Cards winning 3-0.

Funny thing about this game, you never know what's going to happen. Look at Liriano. I bet no one picked him to win the other night, let alone throw a no-hitter.

arkimadee
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
It's gonna be a fun series I have a feeling.. I'd say it will end up like the last one with one team taking 2 of 3 and really no one gaining much ground in the division race.

Magdal
05-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I never predict the outcome of games. For example, I seem to recall a Sunday night game at Busch vs. the Reds were our guy, with his nearly double digit era and pitching on 3 days rest didn't allow a run to you guys and the Cards winning 3-0.

Funny thing about this game, you never know what's going to happen. Look at Liriano. I bet no one picked him to win the other night, let alone throw a no-hitter.

I'm with you on that one Turkey. I wudda bet the farm that Josh Johnson beats the incredibly bad Westbrook the other nite.

webbbj
05-11-2011, 10:17 PM
johnny cueto is the best pitcher in this series.

mlh1981
05-12-2011, 08:03 AM
We usually crap the bed against this team. We can sit here and analyze the pitching matchups all we want to, but at some point, we have GOT to believe that we can hang with this squad. There is a bit of an intimidation factor, I believe. That, and the Cardinals always come out surpremely confident.

We do things against this baseball team that we normally don't do against others. We look like a bunch of mental midgets. Time to stop that.

will5979
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
We usually crap the bed against this team. We can sit here and analyze the pitching matchups all we want to, but at some point, we have GOT to believe that we can hang with this squad. There is a bit of an intimidation factor, I believe. That, and the Cardinals always come out surpremely confident.

We do things against this baseball team that we normally don't do against others. We look like a bunch of mental midgets. Time to stop that.

We did the same thing in 2000 when Griffey Jr. arrived and fought with Cardinals for the division that summer...we should have won the division that year, they mentally beat us, and they're doing it again.

bounty37h
05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Haha, Will you started drinking already today? how many KGJ posts you going to have today :)

will5979
05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Haha, Will you started drinking already today? how many KGJ posts you going to have today :)

:lol: Where is the Facebook "Like" button when you need it? I think KGJ gave me a lifetime of Reds mental issues!!!

Razzle
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
We did the same thing in 2000 when Griffey Jr. arrived and fought with Cardinals for the division that summer...we should have won the division that year, they mentally beat us, and they're doing it again.

The Cardinals were 6-7 against the Reds in 2000 and won the division by 10 games. I'm not sure how you think they should've won the division.

bounty37h
05-12-2011, 03:57 PM
:lol: Where is the Facebook "Like" button when you need it? I think KGJ gave me a lifetime of Reds mental issues!!!

:beerme:

bounty37h
05-12-2011, 04:01 PM
The Cardinals were 6-7 against the Reds in 2000 and won the division by 10 games. I'm not sure how you think they should've won the division.

well, if we led the head to head for the season and you guys won the division, that can lead to theory we should have played better against the lower teams to win the division. I dont think he was arguiing we were robbed or anything like that (I know Cards first reaction is cry foul and blame others when its not their way), but saying it was in our hands if we won the series over the team that won the division.

Razzle
05-12-2011, 04:10 PM
well, if we led the head to head for the season and you guys won the division, that can lead to theory we should have played better against the lower teams to win the division. I dont think he was arguiing we were robbed or anything like that (I know Cards first reaction is cry foul and blame others when its not their way), but saying it was in our hands if we won the series over the team that won the division.

It sounded more like "they mentally beat us in the games we played head to head, but otherwise we would've won the division." It's possible I was mistaken, but that's how I took it. I'm sure every team in history that has won their division has lost or tied the season series to an inferior team in their division. Hell the Cards won the season series last year against the Reds, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Reds were the better team.

bounty37h
05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
It sounded more like "they mentally beat us in the games we played head to head, but otherwise we would've won the division." It's possible I was mistaken, but that's how I took it. I'm sure every team in history that has won their division has lost or tied the season series to an inferior team in their division. Hell the Cards won the season series last year against the Reds, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Reds were the better team.

I thought the mental part was in another post. I do agree with that, we seem beat against the Cards before the first pitch is thrown sometimes, just demaneanor/body language doesn't look right sometimes, but thats JMO (and why I loved BP getting some fire going last year). Yeah, I also agree and understand division winners wont win all the series within the division, was just saying thats how I read the post you were questioning; that we had the talent to beat the #1 team in season but didn't play up to the teams we should have beat to be there with them in the end.

markymark69
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong - but the Reds did win the division last year - didn't they. Head-to-head turned out to be insignificant. This year they've only played three games and the Cards are up 2-1. Let's hold off on the doom and gloom shall we.

Swampturkey
05-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm with you on that one Turkey. I wudda bet the farm that Josh Johnson beats the incredibly bad Westbrook the other nite.

If I bet on baseball, I would have as well. I was shocked at how well the Cards hitters attacked him.

Magdal
05-13-2011, 11:37 AM
This series will be a letdown for me. Usually there is the chance for a Dusty/LaRussa flareup, which I get a kick out of. Yesterday, the manager by commitee ran a whacked out lineup out there. But Coleman, the Cub hurler had no stuff and the dart board Card offense got 16 hits.

I think even Dusty can out manage this conglomerate.

Hey Meat
05-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Hey Meat
05-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I beg to differ with Friday's pick. I would think that Bronson has the upper hand on Lohse.

brm7675
05-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I beg to differ with Friday's pick. I would think that Bronson has the upper hand on Lohse.

In past seasons I might agree but it appears like the magic touch of Dave Duncan has turned Lohse around this season.

10xWSChamps
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong - but the Reds did win the division last year - didn't they. Head-to-head turned out to be insignificant. This year they've only played three games and the Cards are up 2-1. Let's hold off on the doom and gloom shall we.

Insignificant?

Divisional games between the two top teams are always significant. Winning the series may not always win you the division, but to say that they are insignificant games is ridiculous.