PDA

View Full Version : Leake down for Arredondo

Krawhitham
05-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Reds optioned RHP Mike Leake to Triple-A Louisville.
He was sent down to make room for Jose Arredondo on the active roster. Leake was removed from the rotation earlier this month and struggled in the bullpen, so he's better off starting every fifth day in the minor leagues.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5928/mike-leake

Krawhitham
05-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I would have rather seen Edinson Walkquez sent down and Leake back in the rotation

Of Leake's 6 starts 4 were quality starts
Of Edinson's 8 starts only 1 was a quality start

Who Dey Time
05-14-2011, 01:56 PM
It's the correct move. No way Volquez was going to be sent out and LeCure has been very solid coming out of the pen.

The DARK
05-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Leake is a good pitcher, but he doesn't belong in the bullpen and he's going through a bit of a rough patch right now. Good move.

Welcome, Jose Arredondo!

Kiss the Baby00
05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Leake has an ERA of 6.24 since june 10th of last season. Nothing about that number means major league ready. He had a cpl good months, ala Gomes.

Stray
05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Good move

Maker_84
05-14-2011, 03:12 PM
great move

malcontent
05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
About time.

Next up, what to do about Willis?

He's throwing strikes, something Volquez has forgotten how to do.

The DARK
05-14-2011, 03:34 PM
About time.

Next up, what to do about Willis?

He's throwing strikes, something Volquez has forgotten how to do.

We'll see where we are come July, I imagine. Volquez knows how to throw strikes for a month and a half as well, and you're seeing how that worked out in the long run. Sending up Willis, a project, based on short-term minor league performance and watching him get blown up by major league hitters isn't good management.

TheBigLebowski
05-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I have been very vocal in my criticism of Leake so, obviously, I feel that he is the correct choice for demotion. However, he may get some good coaching down there and some serious experience...and come back a different pitcher. I want him to prove me wrong. I really do. I'm also very excited to see Arredondo.

Roush's socks
05-14-2011, 10:06 PM
This is the right move. I think Leake will be a solid #3-4 pitcher. He should be in AAA getting some starts and staying fresh if he's needed. Since he's never even pitched in the minors, the experience could really help. He can work on some things without the pressure of being in the majors. Chances are at some point he'll be back this season.

Krawhitham
05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
It is not the right move, they just do not have the balls to send Edinson down.

67% of Leake's starts were quality starts
13% of Edinson's starts were quality starts

How it is a good move to send down the pitcher that gives you a better chance to win the games he starts

Roush's socks
05-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Volquez has terrible stats, but anyone who's seen the games knows that he has had stretches where he looked good. He has the best stuff of any starting pitcher except maybe Bailey. He just needs to quit nibbling around the strike zone and go right after the hitters. Leake on the other hand has never even pitched in the minors. How can it hurt him to start a few games there and get a groove on? I'm sure if he's putting up great starts there he will be back in Cincy eventually.

Vottomatic
05-15-2011, 09:15 AM
It is not the right move, they just do not have the balls to send Edinson down.

67% of Leake's starts were quality starts
13% of Edinson's starts were quality starts

How it is a good move to send down the pitcher that gives you a better chance to win the games he starts

It won't matter. Late in July, this team trades for an ace that will be on the market. They know they can't go into the playoffs without a true #1 starter again.

Volquez will be sat down at that point if he's still struggling the same way.

Fireball
05-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I think if Willis were still pitching well, he'd be a threat to Volquez. He's struggled his last couple starts, so unless he turns it back up, we won't see him.

That being said, if Volquez keeps struggling and Willis has a few good starts in a row, I think we'll see him.

brm7675
05-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Leake has an ERA of 6.24 since june 10th of last season. Nothing about that number means major league ready. He had a cpl good months, ala Gomes.

Your right, 4 out of 6 quality starts this year mean nothing....No Leake has the ability just right now no spot for him. Leake needs to stay sharp and that wouldn't happen in the Pen, Both Leake and Wood are the future for this team.

brm7675
05-15-2011, 04:43 PM
It won't matter. Late in July, this team trades for an ace that will be on the market. They know they can't go into the playoffs without a true #1 starter again.

Volquez will be sat down at that point if he's still struggling the same way.

You can take this to the bank, this team will NOT trade for any pitching unless major health issues arrive. The rotation is set.

brm7675
05-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I think if Willis were still pitching well, he'd be a threat to Volquez. He's struggled his last couple starts, so unless he turns it back up, we won't see him.

That being said, if Volquez keeps struggling and Willis has a few good starts in a row, I think we'll see him.

To even consider Willis on the major league roster is a joke. We have much better options and they being Leake, Malloney and Lecure

Vottomatic
05-15-2011, 06:21 PM
You can take this to the bank, this team will NOT trade for any pitching unless major health issues arrive. The rotation is set.

Another quick playoff exit again, eh?

Without a true ace, this team won't do anything in the postseason.

Oh yeah...........You can take this to the bank. :D

brm7675
05-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Another quick playoff exit again, eh?

Without a true ace, this team won't do anything in the postseason.

Oh yeah...........You can take this to the bank. :D

Never said that, I see both Cueto and Homer as those ace's you are so wanting....don't you?

mikdavrut
05-16-2011, 01:49 AM
If Cueto and Bailey cont. to pitch like they have since coming back, we HAVE our aces right here and right now. No need to trade for a supposed "ace" - those guys have just pitched LIGHTS OUT. You take away those 2 errors yesterday and I have a strong feeling Cueto would have pitched a complete game shutout. He was ON FIRE. And Bailey has pitched EXTREMELY well. He just looks SO much different now. Very relaxed, unrattled, not trying to throw the ball at full force w/each pitch. I think the kid has arrived. Cueto, I'm not as ready to say he is ace material just yet, we'll see what happens in his next say 5 starts or so. But I do truly think Bailey has finally arrived and is going to be the pitcher we always thought that he could be. Hopefully, Cueto proves to be the same. And Wood, he pitched very well Sunday. If he can iron out his problems and pitch along the lines of the way he did Sunday, he is a SOLID 3rd/4th man. Volquez, I just don't know. I hope he gets it together, but I just don't know what to expect with any given game he pitches. He is a big unknown for me right now. And Arroyo is Arroyo and that's what he is always going to be. So, if Cueto cont. to pitch like he has, Bailey cont. his dominance and Wood stays along the lines of what he pitched on Sunday, we have 4 solid pitchers in our rotation. We need to see if Volquez figures it out or if he isn't going to, who will be our 5th rotation man? Leake? I just don't know. Lecure? Doubtfull since being put in the pen (that said, I REALLY like LeCure and I think given some more time, he is going to be extremely SOLID).

I like this rotation right now sans Volkie. The Reds have seemingly turned the corner since Bailey and Cueto have come back and now with Rolen back, they REALLY seem to be on the verge of playing their best ball yet. If they can remain healthy & the pitching holds up like it has the past couple of weeks, I def. see them taking the division again this year. I think at some point, the Cards will lose a step or two and we will begin to pull away (and that may happen sooner rather than later in the season - I just do not see the Cards playing as well as they had been prior to our sweep of them for the entire season, especially w/the serious gaps in their defense + I honestly think bats like Berkman's are going to eventually cool down, though I DO think Holliday will cont. his dominance at the plate, the guy is simply one HELL of a hitter, period).

IF we can take the division once again, and IF the pitching we currently have holds up, I think we can actually win a post-game series this year w/what we have. Of course, we're going to know more come trade-deadline time as to how the pitching has held up, what we might possibly need with another bat, etc., but I am REALLY happy with the team we have right now. I think it's all starting to come together for them. I do hope that they will give Rolen plenty of rest, platooning him with whomever at 3rd so he can stay fresh (notice how well he hit after coming back from the DL this past series).

But this team SHOULD be better than last years and I really do think they could hold their own with ANY team out there, yes, including the Phillies. I realize this is a long way off and of course, we have to win the division to get to the Poffs, but I would bet $1000 we will NOT get swept again if we DO make the Poffs this yr.!

*sorry if I got off-topic a bit, but I tend to do that sometimes and I'm just feeling REALLY optimistic about our rotation, sans 1 as well as our great defense and pretty darn hot batting as of late and I just really feel optimistic about our team overall. And sweeping the Cards, well, who knows what that might do to the guys psyche's; to FINALLY get that monkey off their back; to FINALLY OWN the team that has owned them for so long now. This sweep/confidence boost might have been what was needed to completely put them over the top and turn them into a completely dominating machine!

bounty37h
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Wonder if Leake watched Chapman yesterday and wondered why he is the one sent down?

wlf WV
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM

I feel the same way.

brm7675
05-16-2011, 01:30 PM
right now I believe our best rotation set up would be:

Bailey
Bronson
Cueto
Wood
Leake

I would rather have a more live arm right now but EV has just not shown me the ability to go deep in games and not put the Reds in a whole right now. I do think it is better for Leakes long term effectivness to be in Louisville over the Reds bullpen, but right now Leake is a better pitcher then EV is.

Krawhitham
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Wonder if Leake watched Chapman yesterday and wondered why he is the one sent down?

Wonder if Leake watched Volquez today and wondered why he is the one sent down?

reds 4 life
05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I would have been pretty bitter if I was Mike Leake watching Arredondo walk in a batter last night and only get one out before getting yanked, but I still think Arredondo will pan out soon enough

Tadasimha
05-18-2011, 09:25 AM
right now I believe our best rotation set up would be:

Bailey
Bronson
Cueto
Wood
Leake

I would rather have a more live arm right now but EV has just not shown me the ability to go deep in games and not put the Reds in a whole right now. I do think it is better for Leakes long term effectivness to be in Louisville over the Reds bullpen, but right now Leake is a better pitcher then EV is.

Volquez went six innings last night and struck out nine. Again, it was the first inning that got to him (gotta be a mental issue) but he then went and pitched five shut-out innings after that.

Unless EV gets his stuff together and pitches lights out the second half the season, Leake will be the guy in the rotation next season as the Reds will let EV go.

5TimeWSChamps
05-18-2011, 04:51 PM
The Reds are not going to "let" Edinson Volquez go. All he's doing right now is flushing his own money down the drain when it comes to arbitration for next year

The DARK
05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
The Reds are not going to "let" Edinson Volquez go. All he's doing right now is flushing his own money down the drain when it comes to arbitration for next year

Even more likely, he's playing his way off our playoff roster. Can anyone here tell me in good faith that putting Volquez in the playoff rotation again over Wood and Bailey is the right move?

5TimeWSChamps
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Even more likely, he's playing his way off our playoff roster. Can anyone here tell me in good faith that putting Volquez in the playoff rotation again over Wood and Bailey is the right move?

I was vehemently against the move when it was made, and right now, he's not gonna be on the playoff roster at all

brm7675
05-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Way to early to tell...

texasdave
05-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Playoff roster talk in mid-May? Sundeck. Any ideas on who should be on the 2012 playoff roster?