PDA

View Full Version : Cueto maybe the best I've seen him today

Redeye fly
05-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I was maybe more impressed with Cueto than at any time I've seen him in the past. I know he had his incredible debut against Arizona and pitched that shutout against the Pirates last year. But this was a young pitcher who's done pretty well but had some rough spots too as he's traveled along his learning curve. He had some problems down at Triple A with command and pitch efficiency on his rehab. There were the same concerns with him that there always have been and that we have with Volquez. Is he going to be creeping up on 100 pitches by the 5th inning? Is he going to walk people and continually fall behind hitters? But that didn't happen at all. He walked Theriot to start the game, and after that he barred the door and was dominant. Even when he went 3-2 on a couple of those hitters, he didn't try to overthrow and he didn't lose his cool. He fired strike after strike, exactly where he wanted it to go, and didn't give in. He kept firing strikes until he either struck the guy out or retired him on a ground out or routine fly ball. He very much looked like a pitcher who said from start to finish the whole time he was out there, I'm going to throw this pitch to this spot, and those hitters aren't going to be able to do anything with it. He lost a bit in the eighth inning with the errors behind him, but other than that he was just nasty.

Against the Diamondbacks, he kind of snuck up on them. No one had seen Johnny Cueto before in a real game that counts at the major league level. Against the Pirates last year it was a bad team going nowhere.

But against this team???? Yeah the lower third isn't that scary, but when you go Colby Rasmus, Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday, and Lance Berkman all in a row and you give up one walk and one perfectly placed bleeder of a double to them and not one of those guys comes close to centering or squaring up on one or your pitches all game long, then you've pretty much done exactly what you want to do on that pitcher's mound.

Plus, the movement on his fastball was outstanding. When you're throwing 94 mph with little effort, and it's 94 mph and moving, and not 94 mph and straight, and you're locating it exactly where you want to.... yeah that's nasty.

If he and Homer Bailey really are starting to get things together and mature, if Wood has more good outings than bad ones and continues to grow, if Bronson is just Bronson, then you've got time to wait on Volquez to hopefully get things turned around, because you'll have maybe 4 other pitchers who are at least giving you a chance to compete and win almost every time they take the mound. Even with Volquez, the games haven't gotten away from or out of reach from the team when he's been out there. So in a sense even he's doing his job of keeping the team in the game. He's just not been as efficient as you want. Yes the offense has bailed him out at times too. But, if he does turn it around and turn it on, it can be a real fun summer again in Cincinnati if everybody stays relatively healthy.

Love what I'm seeing from Ramon Hernandez as well. He may just be riding a hot streak, but we've seen enough to know he's a pretty decent hitter. But the past two games he's come within inches of homering in 3 consecutive at bats and actually on 3 consecutive pitches. The thing about it too is he's done it all over the ball park. He had that double off the wall last night in RCF, then homered to LF or LCF and then to straight away CF today.

We've still got a long way to go and have to stay healthy, but I'm convinced this Reds team is once again the best team in the NL Central. I'm not saying we'll win the division. I'm just saying that in terms of overall talent when you talk about hitting, starting pitching, relief pitching, and fielding, this is the best team in the division again this year.

ntorvik
05-14-2011, 10:05 PM
So many people talked about the quality of the teams that Bailey and Cueto played in their first outings...how about the St. Louis Cardinals? Take that all you haters. Cueto would've pitched a shutout if it weren't for two stupid mistakes by Janish and Rolen.

Redeye fly
05-14-2011, 10:37 PM
What's interesting too is Cueto mentioned in the post game when they tried to play up the fight last year that even though he wasn't concerned about that, he was concerned because the Cardinals have hit well against him in the past. I mean again, until that home run by Jay, the only other hard hit ball off Cueto the whole time he was out there may have been a near warning track fly ball off the bat of Yadier Molina.

And before anyone says it, yes I know it's a small sample size. So, I'm not going to say Cueto has arrived just yet. But what I will say is that he's got the talent to be a legitimate #1 or #2 starter, and seeing him take advantage of that stuff and utilize it today the way he did against a dangerous offense was very very fun.

Roush's socks
05-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Cueto looked great. Lots of strikes and not many pitches that were hit hard. I really think Cueto and Bailey will both be effective as long as they are healthy. They are coming into their peak years and have more confidence than last year. And both have them have been effective the last 2 years when healthy. I think that one of those two has a better chance than Volquez of being a true TOR pitcher by the end of the season. The good thing is that the Reds have Leake and Lecure who could be decent if needed as the season goes on. Starting pitching depth wins games over the course of the long season, as injuries take their toll on most teams.

Maker_84
05-14-2011, 11:10 PM
it really bolsters this team when our 2 best pitchers were on the DL to start the season and now they're back.

Eric the Red
05-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Excellent posts Redye fly. Cueto was dominant today. The command he had and poise he displayed was very impressive. Going into the game there had been a lot of talk on message boards such as this and sports talk radio that the Cards may throw at him and questions about his emotions considering this was his first appearance versus the Cards since last season's brawl. And wow, was Cueto great considering all of the circumstances. Not to mention how much of a boost he and Bailey have given this pitching staff. When you consider the full body of work of the the NL Central contenders the Reds certainly have the best body. Let's hope it equals a 2011 NL Central division title.

R_Webb18
05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
i new we get better once he came back

Seņor Rojo
05-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Here are some of his highlights for today. Can't get enough of the behind the back grab against Pujols. It's great to watch Albert slow down once he realizes what happened.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14817749&topic_id=8879838&c_id=mlb

Magdal
05-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Excellent posts Redye fly. Cueto was dominant today. The command he had and poise he displayed was very impressive. Going into the game there had been a lot of talk on message boards such as this and sports talk radio that the Cards may throw at him and questions about his emotions considering this was his first appearance versus the Cards since last season's brawl. And wow, was Cueto great considering all of the circumstances. Not to mention how much of a boost he and Bailey have given this pitching staff. When you consider the full body of work of the the NL Central contenders the Reds certainly have the best body. Let's hope it equals a 2011 NL Central division title.There was never any chance that the Cards would throw at Cueto. LaRussa has no grit. All he knows is numbers and splits. His flunkey coaches fall in lock step.

Carpenter will be SHELLED tomorro, completing the sweep. After the Card sweep last year your Reds took charge of the league and the Cards rested on their laurels. The Reds showed their character.

We will see if the Cards show theirs in the coming week.

Redeye fly
05-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Here are some of his highlights for today. Can't get enough of the behind the back grab against Pujols. It's great to watch Albert slow down once he realizes what happened.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14817749&topic_id=8879838&c_id=mlb

That was the play of the day on Major League Baseball's Quick Pitch show.:thumbup:

Redeye fly
05-15-2011, 01:08 AM
There was never any chance that the Cards would throw at Cueto. LaRussa has no grit. All he knows is numbers and splits. His flunkey coaches fall in lock step.

Carpenter will be SHELLED tomorro, completing the sweep. After the Card sweep last year your Reds took charge of the league and the Cards rested on their laurels. The Reds showed their character.

I'll believe the Reds shell Carpenter when I see it. Of course, I would love to see it. I think they can certainly win the game, but I would imagine it will be rather low scoring. But low scoring, high scoring, I'd love to get the sweep tomorrow for sure.:D

Magdal
05-15-2011, 01:47 AM
I'll believe the Reds shell Carpenter when I see it. Of course, I would love to see it. I think they can certainly win the game, but I would imagine it will be rather low scoring. But low scoring, high scoring, I'd love to get the sweep tomorrow for sure.:DRest easy my man. He will be pressing. The "Ace" of the staff has one win, 6 weeks into the season. Like Pujols, he has turned the corner.

If the Card brass had any balls they would relegate him to middle relief. I hope the Reds pound him for about 8 runs in the 1st 5 innings, then he will lose his cool and DRILL BP to initiate a brawl!

But have no fear: Carp will be hit, often and deep.;)

jhiller21
05-15-2011, 03:15 AM
His fastball was moving a foot inside all night, at 92-96. Had the slider, change, and it looked like a splitter a few times too...

Cueto is money when he's on

Vottomatic
05-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Best I've seen Cueto pitch. Wish they could have gotten out of the 8th without the errors and gotten him a shutout.

If he and Bailey keep this up, this team might be for real.

Both turned 25 and should be coming into their major league own with several seasons under their belts. But we shall see.

jwmann2
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
For a guy that didn't dominate the Minors in his rehab, Cueto did an amazing job yesterday.

Tadasimha
05-15-2011, 06:53 PM
There was never any chance that the Cards would throw at Cueto. LaRussa has no grit. All he knows is numbers and splits. His flunkey coaches fall in lock step.

Cards showed their character with all the whining and crying about the HBP on Pujols.

Think Carpenter will play any Pink Floyd when he gets back home? ;)