PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter complaining about mound again?

Vottomatic
05-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Mo just said on WLW this morning that in a St. Louis newspaper, Carpenter complained about the pitching mound conditions again, and about the smoke from Hernandez home run.

Didn't seem to affect Travis Wood. :laugh:

How is Carpenter going to explain that to his son? :p

mikdavrut
05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
WTF was supposedly wrong with the mound? I didn't notice Wood complaining/having any problems.

I think the bottom line is that Carpenter will complain about ANYTHING. Whether it be his own teams players, whether it be smoke from fireworks, a pitching mound....just ANYTHING. I didn't get to watch the entire game (my cable went out during the game and didn't come back on until the 8th inning), but, were the fans waving around the white towels again? If so, I'm surprised he didn't complain about that. Surprised he didn't complain that the fans that brought their brooms were "disturbing" him, making it difficult for him to pitch properly :laugh:

That guy is a class A ******. IMO, he is a cancer. I don't care how great of a pitcher he is or is not. I can only imagine that he is a club-house cancer. And it's def. not just Reds/Reds fans/etc. that feel this way and/or have a problem with the guy. He seems to be pretty "well-known" around the league for being...well...EXACTLY what he is.

I seriously wonder, were the Cards to try and get rid of him/trade him, how many teams would honestly be interested in acquiring the guy? I mean, I'm sure some team(s) would readily take him on, BUT, I wonder how many teams would think "NO WAY do we want THIS GUY - we don't give a big ish HOW good he is".....

markymark69
05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Carpenter seems to like a guy that nothing is ever his fault - if he has a bad game or makes a bad pitch - it was someone or something else's fault.

He's probably very frustrated about his season so far and the fact that a team he has pretty much dominated took him to the woodshed yesterday.

Nobody liked a whiner - this is the big leagues - deal with it - both teams had to play in the same conditions - every pitcher threw off the same mound with the same baseballs - perhaps he needs to re-evaluate what he is doing with Dave "Guru" Duncan and stop whining about field conditions.

Oh and by the way - if you don't want lingering smoke from fireworks don't give up a home run - it's very simple.

Jonny G
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
First Off, Since he has one win in 10 tries, all the mounds in the NL must be bad.

Second, there wouldn't have been any smoke if he wouldn't have gave up a homerun!

Third, I guess realizing he is the 4th best starter on his own team is painful.

So Carpenter shut up and I personally invite you and your son to my house to watch the Reds in the playoffs.

ntorvik
05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I think the fact that Wainwright is out is hurting Carpenter. He has a ton of pressure on his shoulder's now, and I don't think he is the kind of guy that handles pressure well, if you ask me. He is supposed to be the ace of the staff, but I'm not sure he has it anymore to be that. I could be wrong. If I'm wrong, I blame the mound conditions, plus there was smoke in my eyes while I was typing this.

arkimadee
05-16-2011, 10:58 AM
One thing I have noticed about Carp this season is that he is no where near the pitcher he has been in past years. His command isn't what it once was. His fastball seems to be even slower than normal. Stl fans have been noticing this for a while. He can cry all he wants about mounds and fireworks but I'd day he knows that his dominating days are over.

SidneySlicker
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I think the fact that Wainwright is out is hurting Carpenter. He has a ton of pressure on his shoulder's now, and I don't think he is the kind of guy that handles pressure well, if you ask me. He is supposed to be the ace of the staff, but I'm not sure he has it anymore to be that. I could be wrong. If I'm wrong, I blame the mound conditions, plus there was smoke in my eyes while I was typing this.

I disagree. I don't think the Wainright injury has anything to do with Carpenters performance this year. I think his performance has everything to do with the fact that he turned 36 in April. The guy is in his 14th year in major league baseball. He just doesn't have the stuff that he used to. I'd have watch again to verify, but I don't remember Carpenter hitting above 92 yesterday and pretty much lived around the 90-92 zone. When he was at his best he could finish a guy with a 95-96 mph fastball. I'm not saying he isn't a good pitcher anymore, but he's definitely not the dominant pitcher he used to be. Even though Carpenter is making excuses you can bet he know's what is going on. He's living on borrowed time as a top of the rotation starter in major league baseball.

brm7675
05-16-2011, 01:31 PM
I really find it intereresting how so many people care about what a player on another team thinks...

SidneySlicker
05-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I really find it intereresting how so many people care about what a player on another team thinks...

Of course we do. It's part of what has made this a very volatile rivalry the last few years. It's not about beating the cardinals on the field, it's about beating them in their heads. The cardinals still believe they are the best team in the central. It's time to put the hammer down and break their will and confidence. The Cards are scrambling right now. Excuses means they are in denial. It's time to end that.

brm7675
05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Of course we do. It's part of what has made this a very volatile rivalry the last few years. It's not about beating the cardinals on the field, it's about beating them in their heads. The cardinals still believe they are the best team in the central. It's time to put the hammer down and break their will and confidence. The Cards are scrambling right now. Excuses means they are in denial. It's time to end that.

really? these are professional athletes...not kids down at the corner playground.

Pony Boy
05-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Last time the Cards were in town I saw Carpenter at Nada over the lunch hour eating by himself. It seemed odd to me that with all of his teamates in town with nothing but time to kill before the 7 o'clock game that he would'nt have someone to eat lunch with. Maybe he is a loner, or maybe his mates don't like him.

OfficerRodFarva
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I wish the cards fans would weigh in on this

10xWSChamps
05-18-2011, 12:21 AM
First off, the idea that Carpenter's teammates don't like him is crazy

Carpenter does complain a lot. But as a Cardinals fan I don't mind it, just as Reds fans don't mind Brandon Phillips' comments. Neither player is scared about offending anyone and it's just a part of their personality.

I think it's also a part of what has made Carpenter so good. He has always been on-edge on the mound, looking like he's pissed off in general. He's got a bulldog mentality, every player hates to lose but I don't think there's a whole lot of people who hate it more then Carpenter

10xWSChamps
05-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Also, I heard absolutely nothing about the OP's comment about Carpenter complaining again. I am almost positive that he mis-heard something

Spaxspore
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
oh he did sir.

"After the game, Carpenter was unhappy with the condition of the mound -- the game was played in a steady rain -- and smoke that lingered in the ballpark from the customary fireworks to celebrate a Reds home run."-espn

Now marty and La Russa are in on it.

Sources,

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6560905

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/05/17/marty-brennaman-goes-off-on-cardinals/

mckbearcat48
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Carpenter has complained about many mounds...I think he's his own personal grounds crew at times.

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Also, I heard absolutely nothing about the OP's comment about Carpenter complaining again. I am almost positive that he mis-heard something

He def did, I heard it to postgame, blamed the mound and the smoke from the fireworks, and think even said there is always something when you come to play here

Vottomatic
05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Carpenter is now complaining about the infield grass not being cut properly, saying he tripped over a blade of grass and it affected his pitching. ;)