PDA

View Full Version : Justin Turner

mace
05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
No commentary here. Just a nice NY Times story on Justin Turner, who has inherited the second-base job with the Mets and, so far, made the most of it.

When he was in the Reds' organization, I always coupled him with Valaika, and slightly behind as a prospect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/sports/turners-five-rbi-lead-mets-to-win-over-astros.html?_r=2&ref=sports

In December '08, the Reds traded him, along with Brandon Waring and Ryan Freel, to the Orioles for Ramon Hernandez. No regrets there.

Edit: Guess I really shouldn't have put this in the minor-league forum. Habit. Sorry.

Orenda
05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
No commentary here. Just a nice NY Times story on Justin Turner, who has inherited the second-base job with the Mets and, so far, made the most of it.

When he was in the Reds' organization, I always coupled him with Valaika, and slightly behind as a prospect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/sports/turners-five-rbi-lead-mets-to-win-over-astros.html?_r=2&ref=sports

In December '08, the Reds traded him, along with Brandon Waring and Ryan Freel, to the Orioles for Ramon Hernandez. No regrets there.

Edit: Guess I really shouldn't have put this in the minor-league forum. Habit. Sorry.

He was under the radar, I do remember some of the more knowledgeable posters mentioning him.

Valaika got a lot more notice probably because of that long hitting streak he started out with coupled by the fact he was playing a more glamorous position in shortstop. I think Turner's peripherals suggest he may end up the better player, Valaika has been a free swinger in the minor leagues and its yet to be determined if he can sustain a high enough average to get away with that at the major league level, his power numbers have fallen off some as well and he's no longer getting time at ss anyways.

Scrap Irony
05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Liked Turner a bit.

Have loved Hernandez since the trade.

Aside from Hamilton (which is arguable), Turner may have been the one player of the past decade that's "gotten away". That says an awful lot about the Cincinnati talent evaluators and minor league scouts.

Kudos.

klw
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Liked Turner a bit.

Have loved Hernandez since the trade.

Aside from Hamilton (which is arguable), Turner may have been the one player of the past decade that's "gotten away". That says an awful lot about the Cincinnati talent evaluators and minor league scouts.

Kudos.

Well there was also Cody Ross, that SS we sent to Tampa, and that Lincecum fella (though the other guy is pretty good now too). Wily Taveras must have been a mistake to give up as he has been wanted enough to play in like 6 organizations since he left.
I'm glad to see Turner doing well.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Jorge Cantu too.

TOBTTReds
05-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Jorge Cantu too.

Come on though, we can sit here and name steals on our side too. And I wouldn't necessarily say Cantu got away. He had a couple barely above average years after us. 2010-2011 have been a disaster for him.

KoryMac5
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow based on 37 games in the majors we are looking at Turner as the one who got away. I need to see a full season before I go that far. Seems like a nice kid with a good glove and solid work ethic, who may be perfect for that stadium. He's definitley made the most of the Mets injury situation coupled with the fact that Daniel Murphy can't field a lick at 2nd base.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Come on though, we can sit here and name steals on our side too. And I wouldn't necessarily say Cantu got away. He had a couple barely above average years after us. 2010-2011 have been a disaster for him.

But the post I was responding to had nothing to do with players we stole. It was about a few (and I agree there have only been a few) that got away.

Cantu was one of them, at least for 2008. If Cody Ross can be included in that category then so should Cantu.

29 HR, 92 RBI (.808 OPS) 2.7 WAR in 2008 (playing 3B)

Very similar offensive numbers as Encarnacion that season, but better defensively. Of course, if Cantu stays a Red (at 3B) and has the year he had with Florida in ‘08, then maybe we don’t go after Rolen.

So I’m okay that Cantu “got away”.

As for Turner, I hope he sticks in NY. He was drafted the same year (2006) and the same college (Cal St. Fullerton) as Dorn.

That's looking like a real good draft for the Reds. Stubbs (1st), Valaika (3rd), Ravin (5th), Smith (6th), Turner (7th), Heisey (17th), and Dorn (32nd) - with Webb (8th) and Tabor (30th) still hanging in there as well.

*edit to add Josh Roenicke (10th).

Scrap Irony
05-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Wow based on 37 games in the majors we are looking at Turner as the one who got away.

Which is all the more amazing. My point was that there haven't been that many that have indeed "gotten away".

05-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I really can't count him as one that "got away" since he was waived by the team we traded him to.

BigRed07
05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
2-4 tonight with 2 doubles 2 Rbi's. He is hitting .375 with 11 RBI's last 9 games 1HR and 4 doubles. I bet the Orioles wish they still had him with Roberts heading to the DL.

toddfrazier
05-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Mets fan here.. not sure what to make of turner, i still dont see him as being a legit every day player but he has been a godsend so far (has won a couple games by himself).. will be interesting what they do with him (and daniel murphy at 2nd) when ike davis returns

btw my 1st post.. i always keep tabs on the reds since frazier is the home-town kid by me and i also am a big fan of cueto, votto, and phillips

cheers

BigRed07
05-21-2011, 03:04 AM
3 for 4 tonight with 2 doubles and a RBI tonight in the 2-1 win over the Yanks. He tied the Mets rookie record with a RBI in 6 straight games.

Orenda
05-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Justin Turner has been following Krivsky around like a bad odor. Drafted by the Reds while Krivsky was here, traded to the Orioles in the Ramon Hernandez deal when Krivsky was in Baltimore and now he found a home along with Krivsky in New York. I was harsh on Krivsky at times because I thought he made quite a few bad MLB roster moves, but he did find some talent.

dougdirt
05-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Justin Turner has been following Krivsky around like a bad odor. Drafted by the Reds while Krivsky was here, traded to the Orioles in the Ramon Hernandez deal when Krivsky was in Baltimore and now he found a home along with Krivsky in New York. I was harsh on Krivsky at times because I thought he made quite a few bad MLB roster moves, but he did find some talent.

I have been saying it for years now.... Walt Jocketty is the first GM under Castellini who has had full control of player moves. Bob was telling the other guys what to do on certain things.