PDA

View Full Version : Can we safely call Juan Francisco the LH hitting Wily Mo Pena?

5TimeWSChamps
05-16-2011, 05:43 PM
I have not seen anything from him period that makes me believe he will EVER play everyday for the team. All you hear is his prodigious power but you never see it.

Guy can't hit a breaking ball to save his life, looks overmatched against big league pitching, and his defense is below par as well.

mroby85
05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I had high hopes for him at first, but based on what i've seen at the major league level I think he has a way to go before he even reaches Wily Mo status.

Vottomatic
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I disagree. I think the book is still out on the guy. He has barely had a chance.

I saw a game where he played very good defense including throwing a guy out at home. I've also seen him overthrow first base once.

He hasn't been given enough of a chance. And if you consider the LONG LEASH that management gave Bruce and Stubbs when they've struggled badly, Francisco deserves a fair chance. Plus he's still young. Young is the word used in defense of Bruce every millisecond.

Pete4prez
05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Let's give him more time before we call him WMP, Juan has shown the ability to hit in the minors, WMP never proved he could hit in the minors. Let's not give up on Juan just yet.

kfm
05-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I disagree. I think the book is still out on the guy. He has barely had a chance.

I saw a game where he played very good defense including throwing a guy out at home. I've also seen him overthrow first base once.

He hasn't been given enough of a chance. And if you consider the LONG LEASH that management gave Bruce and Stubbs when they've struggled badly, Francisco deserves a fair chance. Plus he's still young. Young is the word used in defense of Bruce every millisecond.

+1

gedred69
05-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Having suggested this on more than one thread, last time I was attacked by some newbee. Before I could post a defense 2 other posters did it for me. I'll say it again, he is Wily Mo re-incarnated, albeit from the left side. Maybe the Reds could make a spot for him as a showcase, and then make another brilliant trade for another Arroyo-like move. Think Boston would like to reverse that trade? Is there another sucker out there?

Krawhitham
05-17-2011, 06:34 AM
I have not seen anything from him period that makes me believe he will EVER play everyday for the team. All you hear is his prodigious power but you never see it.

Guy can't hit a breaking ball to save his life, looks overmatched against big league pitching, and his defense is below par as well.

You mean his career .295 average is not good enough?

Francisco needs to play everyday to hit, he can not pitch hit worth a crap

he is a .310 hitter when playing and a .214 pitch hitter

Krawhitham
05-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Speaking of Wily Mo pena

His main problem was the Yankee's signed him to a major league contract and he never got to learn how to hit in the minors.

He basically only had 2 minor league seasons due to injuries, He went from AA to the Majors but he only hit .255 in AA. His contract forced him on a Major league roster (just like how Yasmani Grandal contract will soon) . Wily is only 29 and is now finally starting to hit in the minors. He hit .324 in AAA last season and is hitting .387 with 14 HR this season in AAA

Wily has not seen the Majors in 2 years , and the was a part time player for the 3 season before that but

Career
Wily .253avg 77HR 225RBI
Bruce .256avg 76HR 204RBI

When Wily was 24 like is Bruce is now his career numbers looked like

1395AB (bruce has 1415)
.259 avg
75hr
215 RBI

So should we give up Bruce like everyone did on Wily Mo?