PDA

View Full Version : What did Duncan say?

lollipopcurve
05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I've seen a couple of renditions of what Duncan was yelling after the game on Sunday.

"We'll hit you in the f...ng head!"

Or,

"***...t hair!" -- referring to the way Cueto wears his hair.

From the clips I saw, the way Duncan was gesturing to his head suggests it was the latter. If that's true, it really makes me wonder about Duncan and the leadership that team has had, because Cueto had done absolutely nothing but walk onto the field to congratulate his teammates.

Anybody have a real good read on what DD said?

westofyou
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
You mean Dave Duncan who had long blonde hair in the early 70's on the Indians??

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/image.php?productid=738230

PuffyPig
05-17-2011, 09:24 AM
I believe you can clearly hear him say "we surrender and I am a puss".

Sea Ray
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
I've seen a couple of renditions of what Duncan was yelling after the game on Sunday.

Or,

From the clips I saw, the way Duncan was gesturing to his head suggests it was the latter. If that's true, it really makes me wonder about Duncan and the leadership that team has had, because Cueto had done absolutely nothing but walk onto the field to congratulate his teammates.

I think it was the former but we live in a such a society now that ESPN blurs his mouth when they show replays of it...:confused:

lollipopcurve
05-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I think it was the former but we live in a such a society now that ESPN blurs his mouth when they show replays of it...

Is that true? They've intentionally obscured what he's saying?

westofyou
05-17-2011, 09:32 AM
I believe you can clearly hear him say "we surrender and I am a puss".

Or maybe it was Gene Tenace stole my mojo?

oneupper
05-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I think it was the former but we live in a such a society now that ESPN blurs his mouth when they show replays of it...:confused:

How stupid is that? It's like the blurring of the finger when "the bird" gesture is made.

It's a finger...for crissakes. :confused:

Screwball
05-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Or,

I went back and watched the replay a few times. I'm pretty certain he was yelling, "Get the f... out of here!" to Cordero, which can look like the bolded above if you're trying to read lips.

Sea Ray
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I went back and watched the replay a few times. I'm pretty certain he was yelling, "Get the f... out of here!" to Cordero, which can look like the bolded above if you're trying to read lips.

He was yelling at Cordero while pointing to his own head. I think he was saying we're going to hit you in the ...head. Now Coco was yelling back telling him to get the ...out of here.

And yes replays on TV do have the mouth blurred. Sad isn't it?

Screwball
05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
He was yelling at Cordero while pointing to his own head. I think he was saying we're going to hit you in the ...head. Now Coco was yelling back telling him to get the ...out of here.

It's tough to describe, but Duncan was angrily grabbing at the area around his ear and yelling at Cordero, and then right after that yelled "Get the [...] out of here". I'm guessing he took exception to the fact that the ball that hit Pujols did come pretty close to his head, and that's what Duncan was referring to when he was grabbing his ear/pointing to his head.

Mainspark
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
If it was the "we'll hit you in the head" threat, it's obviously being directed at the Reds in general. Hard to imagine a scenario where a Cardinals pitcher would get an opportunity to throw at Coco.

cumberlandreds
05-17-2011, 10:29 AM

That's what I thought he was saying too. Although I'm not usually a good lip reader.
Yes ESPN does blur out mouths when they are yelling curse words. They did it back in the winter when John Calipari was telling Terrence Jones what a nice young man he is. :)

lollipopcurve
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Can anyone post a link? I'm curious to see the gesture Duncan uses -- my impression was that he was trying to indicate "long hair" and directing his opinion about it to Cueto, who was standing with Cordero.

Not sure it makes much sense for him to be yelling at Reds to "get outta here," since it's the Reds' field and they were just beginning their post-game congrats.

Screwball
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Not sure it makes much sense for him to be yelling at Reds to "get outta here," since it's the Reds' field and they were just beginning their post-game congrats.

Well, I'm sure he didn't mean for the Reds to literally pack their stuff and vacate the premises. It was meant more as You gotta be kidding me.

Sorry I don't have a link, but the region Duncan was pointing to on his head is almost the exact spot Cordero's pitch hit Pujols (I know it hit him in the wrist, but his wrist was behind his head, right next to his ear). It would also explain why Duncan, Laird, et. al. were so indignant -- it's not so much they thought Cordero hit Pujols on purpose, but that it was so close to his head.

Homer Bailey
05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I saw someone link to a cardinal message board that a cardinals fan sitting behind the dugout confirmed that Duncan said "well hit you in the f'n head!" about ten times. Ill see if I can find it.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

Reds Freak
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Last year, it seemed the Cardinals paid way too much attention to the Reds and what the Reds were doing. They rearranged their rotation so their top three would face the Reds, the St. Louis writers were obsessed with writing articles about the Reds, etc. What happened? They killed the Reds and stunk against everyone else.

I hope that's not happening here. There are about nine threads right now discussing the Cardinals and what the heck they're doing and yapping about. Now, this message board is hardly the pulse of the team, but the Reds need to focus on who they are playing on a given night and not worry about the Cards until July 4. I think the fans, beat writers and announcers should follow suit...

lollipopcurve
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Last year, it seemed the Cardinals paid way too much attention to the Reds and what the Reds were doing. They rearranged their rotation so their top three would face the Reds, the St. Louis writers were obsessed with writing articles about the Reds, etc. What happened? They killed the Reds and stunk against everyone else.

I hope that's not happening here. There are about nine threads right now discussing the Cardinals and what the heck they're doing and yapping about. Now, this message board is hardly the pulse of the team, but the Reds need to focus on who they are playing on a given night and not worry about the Cards until July 4. I think the fans, beat writers and announcers should follow suit...

To a degree, I agree. But this is a legit rivalry, and that's fun. Further, if Duncan said what someone said he did ("***...t hair!"), that is reprehensible public behavior for an adult and should be called out, IMO. Not saying he said it -- just trying to find out.

westofyou
05-17-2011, 11:45 AM

I too found this to be a tad myopic, the season is the enemy, not the Cardinals.

lollipopcurve
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
I too found this to be a tad myopic, the season is the enemy, not the Cardinals.

No doubt. But if dispassion ever overrules passion in baseball fandom, baseball is dead. So, where's the myopia?

LvJ
05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I saw someone link to a cardinal message board that a cardinals fan sitting behind the dugout confirmed that Duncan said "well hit you in the f'n head!" about ten times. Ill see if I can find it.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk Amazing.

Also - nice sig! ;)

traderumor
05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, one thing's for sure, if the Cards do hit one of our guys in the head, they'll do it the way its supposed to be done. I'd be curious to know what their ettiquette is for intentional beanings.

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, one thing's for sure, if the Cards do hit one of our guys in the head, they'll do it the way its supposed to be done. I'd be curious to know what their ettiquette is for intentional beanings.

According to LaRussa they don't believe in it, at least that is what he has adamantly said in the past. Of course he has also got riled up in the past about people pitching around his best hitters and suggested he wouldn't do the same but he has done it often to Votto as of late.