PDA

View Full Version : My Pujols Conspiracy Theory

Brisco
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Albert Pujols is having a very un-Albert like season so far. I do not subscribe to the theory that have skills have dropped off a cliff. Instead, I believe this is based on his desire to remain a Cardinal.

Factor one:
I have learned that Albert has been put under tremendous pressure from the players union and other players to not accept a hometown discount with the Cardinals. The Union is basically telling him that if he does not demand top dollar he is letting down the other players.

Factor two:
I do not believe Albert wants to leave the Cards. He recently bought a huge tract of land next to Yadier Molina's house.

Factor three:
If Albert puts up a typical Albert season, there will be teams that offer significantly more than the Cards could match.

I do not believe he is intentionally failing, but rather that his heart is not in it. (With Wainwright out, his hopes of a World series had to have been severly diminished, so this is just another season.) I believe that every day he wakes up and wonders if he is going to be forced out of St Louis due to loyalty to the Union/other players and that sort of emotion bleeds his motivation.

Now assume he has a mediocre season. No one will throw 30 million at a player who is so "obviously" in decline. The Cards, however, still have a loyalty interest and a desire to keep their fan base happy. Albert could sign a 5 year 105 million contract after a mediocre year and everyone is off his back and he can go back to loving the game he plays and playing the game he loves.

Side note - hugging the Cubs GM is exactly the type of thing you do if you want folks to believe you are serious about possibly leaving, when if fact you are not. It is the type of subtle action that will feed the media frenzy, but that the fanbase will not gainsay or be bitter about at all after he re-signs with the cards.

That is my "conspiracy theory" for what its worth.

Brisco

mroby85
05-17-2011, 11:08 AM
That is definitely a conspiracy theory... haha

Girevik
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't more than just Pujols need to be involved for it to be a conspiracy>

Todd Gack
05-17-2011, 02:05 PM
The Cardinals weren't going to do much with Wainwright, much less without him. Their defense and bullpen are too horrendous to win a division, much less do anything substantial in the playoffs.

Magdal
05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
It's an interesting theory. Where did you get the info on the players union? Were you purely speculating?

Vottomatic
05-17-2011, 05:04 PM
I thought you were going to say Albert is really an alien from outer space. That would have been more interesting. :D

mroby85
05-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I thought you were going to say Albert is really an alien from outer space. That would have been more interesting. :D

and probably more accurate, lol.

VottoFan54
05-17-2011, 06:28 PM
If Pujols is worried about his contract situation on a daily basis couldn't he have just taken the offer from the Cards he had at the beginning of the season.

UC_Ken
05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
I think A-Rod's struggles may hurt Pujols more than his own. People are starting to see that without steroids players start to drop off when they get to their mid '30s. People see how bad the Yankees are stuck and don't want to get in the same situation. Pujols will get the salary he wants, but not the years.