PDA

View Full Version : Baker with Gomes?

DStew88
05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Does anybody else think that it is odd that Dusty took Gomes out the day after he got a homerun? Often times, a homerun is what can bring hitters out of a slump. Jay Bruce is an example of that. Remember last year when he seemed like he'd never get out of his slump? Then he got about 11 homeruns in a week or two. I don't know. What do you think?

mckbearcat48
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Dusty seems to stick with veteran guys for the most part. Gomes fits the bill there. Surprising, as you say, that he got pulled after a HR, but for the most part, Dusty will play his veterans as much as he can.

Natty Redlocks
05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I think he said he was going to go with the best matchups, and he meant it. Gomes didn't hit that home run, Dusty unveiled it.

DStew88
05-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Dusty seems to stick with veteran guys for the most part. Gomes fits the bill there. Surprising, as you say, that he got pulled after a HR, but for the most part, Dusty will play his veterans as much as he can.

I mean, I trust Dusty. He led us to a division championship, so I'm not complaining. This just seemed peculiar.

arkimadee
05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
In Dusty I trusty.. Until we lose 3 in a row :)

DStew88
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
In Dusty I trusty.. Until we lose 3 in a row :)

Haha. If we did, the bandwagoner's would be all over him. Lol.

defender
05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Dusty gives people roles, and then uses them in those roles. When he says you are a the starter, he won't bench you after a few bad games. Once he says he is going to mix and match, he does not make one guy the starter based on one AB.

Dusty's veteren thing, is completely misunderstood. It is a role thing. As we have seen with Bruce and Stubbs, he is not quick to remove young or veteran from their role.

He does sometimes seem to under use young players, but that is putting them in roles where they succeed. Just because a guy like Heisey does well when Baker uses him, does not mean he would have the same results as a full time starter.

mu4103
05-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Dusty gives people roles, and then uses them in those roles. When he says you are a the starter, he won't bench you after a few bad games. Once he says he is going to mix and match, he does not make one guy the starter based on one AB.

Dusty's veteren thing, is completely misunderstood. It is a role thing. As we have seen with Bruce and Stubbs, he is not quick to remove young or veteran from their role.

He does sometimes seem to under use young players, but that is putting them in roles where they succeed. Just because a guy like Heisey does well when Baker uses him, does not mean he would have the same results as a full time starter.

I suppose the world will never know. But that doesn't follow - it is misunderstood because it is a roll thing. Really? Dusty creates the rolls.

defender
05-19-2011, 01:44 AM
I suppose the world will never know. But that doesn't follow - it is misunderstood because it is a roll thing. Really? Dusty creates the rolls.

Misunderstood, is really giving people the benifit of the doubt. The Dusty Baker hates rookies argument is not based Bakers career as a manager, but a little anecdotal evidence and a bunch of people saying it enough times.

The first mistake made, is only looking at position players. The Giants when Baker was there, and the Cubs before Wilkin, both focused on drafting pitchers and trading for position players.

When Baker got to Chicago, he chose Mark Grudz over Bobby Hill to start at second base and based on that decision (which was clearly the right one) his rookie hating reputation snow balled.

It is all based on a handfull of rookies he did not play. The likes of Jason Dubois and Matt Murton (who he did start, and treated a lot better than Piniella did).

Now he comes to a team with young positon prospects, and plays Stubbs and Bruce from day 1 (even when they struggle). Votto won the starting job in about a week. Hannigan has been given his fair share of starts. Yet 2 young players (Heisey and Janish) don't play as much as people would like, so Baker hates rookies.

Vottomatic
05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Dusty is good at developing team chemistry.

Dusty is not a good strategical manager. One of the worst I've ever seen, actually.

joshua
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
SOMETHING has to be done with Gomes. We have a bunch of guys who can compete for that LF spot this season and in the future (Lewis, Heisey, Sappelt, Alonso...). Trotting him out there and watching him struggle is beginning to get rather painful. When do you finally say enough is enough and give someone else a consistent shot? I know he's been out of the lineup a couple of days, but I don't think it's going to stick.

And if he plays DH vs. the Indians, I'm going to punch myself in the face.

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 12:51 PM
SOMETHING has to be done with Gomes. We have a bunch of guys who can compete for that LF spot this season and in the future (Lewis, Heisey, Sappelt, Alonso...). Trotting him out there and watching him struggle is beginning to get rather painful. When do you finally say enough is enough and give someone else a consistent shot? I know he's been out of the lineup a couple of days, but I don't think it's going to stick.

And if he plays DH vs. the Indians, I'm going to punch myself in the face.

I think theres a pretty good chance he does at least one game. Youtube it though if you do start punching yourself in the face, thats always funny to watch :)

Old NDN
05-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I'v been a Gomes supporter in the past. But, how/why in the world would you DH a player who's hitting .183? I thought the idea was to ADD offense to the lineup.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-19-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm a huge Gomes supporter and still believe he'll come out of this slump and be HUGE for our post season run. I think using him as a DH will be beneficial to him, as he'll only have to focus on only hitting and coming out of this slump.

bshall2105
05-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Dusty is good at developing team chemistry.

Dusty is not a good strategical manager. One of the worst I've ever seen, actually.

What's more important team chemistry or good strategy?

DocRed
05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Dusty is a disciple of the "Reverse Psychology" school. Haven't you figures that out yet?

smixsell
05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Can't believe he put Gomes ( it's not a freak that he's hittinh about .185) in as the DH when Hernandez (hitting.300 plus and great in the clutch) was the obvious choice at DH. Dusty is truly brain dead at times.

TheBigLebowski
05-21-2011, 11:50 AM
If I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times - this is exactly what I feared when he was re-signed. Dusty just refuses to accept that Gomes is not suitable to the role (professional baseball player) Dusty is bound and determined to give him.

DocRed
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Dusty is as stubborn as a mule...and about as smart.

nux fan
05-21-2011, 01:43 PM
you are never suposed to put a bad hitter in the two slot but since Dusty cant read, the result is inevitable

malcontent
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Dusty is as stubborn as a mule...and about as smart.
:lol:

Spaxspore
05-21-2011, 03:43 PM
:lol:

.170ish / 130ish in may in the two hole, in front of the MVP. Dusty for you.

mu4103
05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
You have a long leash when you win a division title. Dusty is putting a lot of his points earned in to fighting a battle with the fans over Gomes?

Vottomatic
05-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I went to game Wednesday, but Dusty is keeping me from ballpark. Seriously.

I half to expect to lose because of the dumb lineups or dumb strategical decisions.

RedsLvr
05-21-2011, 06:13 PM
.170ish / 130ish in may in the two hole, in front of the MVP. Dusty for you.

The batter in front of an MVP happens to get a lot of fastballs for strikes, which is what Gomes hits the best. It was a brilliant move by Dusty..

DocRed
05-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Could someone please drug test Dusty...I'm honestly worried about him :X

UPRedsFan
05-21-2011, 06:36 PM
And yet he still struck out 3 times and went 0-4.

Time to assign Gomes to PH.

If Alonso is ready, DFA Gomes.

Spaxspore
05-21-2011, 11:23 PM
The batter in front of an MVP happens to get a lot of fastballs for strikes, which is what Gomes hits the best. It was a brilliant move by Dusty..

yea when he (gomes) is on... he hasnt been "on" since the beginning of april.

Krawhitham
05-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Does anybody else think that it is odd that Dusty took Gomes out the day after he got a homerun?

Dusty does this kind of crap all the time, he plays matchups (well what he believes are good matchups not what the stats say are good matchups) instead of playing the hot hand

Spaxspore
05-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Dusty does this kind of crap all the time, he plays matchups (well what he believes are good matchups not what the stats say are good matchups) instead of playing the hot hand

Right, dusty forgets... games arnt played on paper.

markymark69
05-22-2011, 10:16 PM
As I have stated before - I'm not a huge fan of Gomes and the criticism he is receiving is legit. I do find it interesting though that nobody wants to address the shortstop situation because Paul "Concepcion" Janish (Mr. Untouchable) is the starter.

I know he can play great defense - but the guy isn't perfect - and with the offense falling into funks like it does - his defense isn't enough to save him in my book. - Yet nobody clamors for Zack Cozart - people who bring up Jose Reyes for trade - get blasted as if they have proposed Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson.

I understand the contract situation with Reyes - but just about every on here wants the Reds to win - if Janish is moved or not the shortstop and we have to give up one pitcher or another player who is currently blocked. If Reyes stabilizes the offense and plays solid defense to get this club over the top - I say go for it and let Jocketty and Castellini worry about the money.

It is just amazing that some guys get a pass and some couldn't catch a break on this board no matter what they do or did.

swaisuc
05-23-2011, 10:59 AM
It has everything to do with the positions though. Conventional wisdom says that it is OK to have a light-hitting SS if he is awesome with the glove. That is what we have at the moment. Who thinks its OK to have a left fielder who can't hit and is below average defensively?

With that said, if we find out that it is easier to add a big upgrade at SS than a big upgrade at LF, I'm in. I don't believe that will be the case, but maybe I'm wrong.

texasdave
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
As I have stated before - I'm not a huge fan of Gomes and the criticism he is receiving is legit. I do find it interesting though that nobody wants to address the shortstop situation because Paul "Concepcion" Janish (Mr. Untouchable) is the starter.

I know he can play great defense - but the guy isn't perfect - and with the offense falling into funks like it does - his defense isn't enough to save him in my book. - Yet nobody clamors for Zack Cozart - people who bring up Jose Reyes for trade - get blasted as if they have proposed Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson.

I understand the contract situation with Reyes - but just about every on here wants the Reds to win - if Janish is moved or not the shortstop and we have to give up one pitcher or another player who is currently blocked. If Reyes stabilizes the offense and plays solid defense to get this club over the top - I say go for it and let Jocketty and Castellini worry about the money.

It is just amazing that some guys get a pass and some couldn't catch a break on this board no matter what they do or did.

If Reds' management wants to bring Cozart up fine. But by all means not at the expense of Paul Janish. Edgar Renteria should be the one to go.

ntorvik
05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, the thing is, we have someone who could replace Gomes out in left (Heisey) but we don't have anyone that can realistically take Janish's spot at short (Renteria is just too old) so I would welcome Reyes, personally.