PDA

View Full Version : Brewers not getting it done

brm7675
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Many people had the Brewers being either the team to beat in our division or a team that would be right there. Well as of yet I am not seeing it and there record sure isn't reflecting it. So you have to wonder if this trend continues you have to think they may at some point look to deal Prince and get in some young talent to help their system....

5TimeWSChamps
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
They better deal Prince whether or not they are contending because the trades they made for Sabathia, Marcum, and now Grienke have absolutely FLUSHED their minor league system. They literally have NOTHING in the minors.

They cannot let Prince leave and not get anything in return

The DARK
05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
They better deal Prince whether or not they are contending because the trades they made for Sabathia, Marcum, and now Grienke have absolutely FLUSHED their minor league system. They literally have NOTHING in the minors.

They cannot let Prince leave and not get anything in return

Even if they're leading the division a month from now? I agree with you for the most part, but if they're looking like World Series contenders, it would be foolish to put the entire hopes of the offense on Braun and Weeks's shoulders. Sometimes you have to go for broke if you're a team like the Reds or Brewers, even if it sets the organization back by several years.

Tadasimha
05-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Even if they're leading the division a month from now? I agree with you for the most part, but if they're looking like World Series contenders, it would be foolish to put the entire hopes of the offense on Braun and Weeks's shoulders. Sometimes you have to go for broke if you're a team like the Reds or Brewers, even if it sets the organization back by several years.

Man, that's the kind of thinking the Marlins use. They put a winner together for ONE SHOT and then are nothing for multiple years. No thanks to that plan.

I want the Reds to be perennial contenders EVERY year and that means not having an all or nothing pov, but building teams, making the occasional smart trade and having an organization that reloads every season and contends.

Seriously, you'd prefer to be the Marlins and have a shot once every ten years or a team like the Braves who (until recently) had a shot for over ten years?

arkimadee
05-18-2011, 09:00 PM
There is no way they make moves to make it look like they are dumping salary. They have a solid season ticket base that would bail if they started slashing payroll

The DARK
05-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Man, that's the kind of thinking the Marlins use. They put a winner together for ONE SHOT and then are nothing for multiple years. No thanks to that plan.

I want the Reds to be perennial contenders EVERY year and that means not having an all or nothing pov, but building teams, making the occasional smart trade and having an organization that reloads every season and contends.

Seriously, you'd prefer to be the Marlins and have a shot once every ten years or a team like the Braves who (until recently) had a shot for over ten years?

I agree from our perspective (we should be willing to trade for prospects if we're losing), but we'd still have the talent in the major leagues to contend afterwards. The Brewers aren't as fortunate and aren't going to be contending very much after Prince walks out the door either way. I agree that if the Brewers are losing, they should trade Prince and restock the system (no doubt about it), but if they're in position to win the division, I find it stupid for them to backtrack on what they were planning as a go-for-broke season all along. They've already sold the farm for an ace and a #2 pitcher, and at least one of them is likely to walk out the door soon anyway. A Prince rental won't be worth much, anyway; most of the playoff teams this year are 100% set at 1B, and the ones that aren't can't afford to pay much for him. The lone exception to that might be the Angels, I suppose, but they aren't going to give much more than replacement level players for a guy who essentially is a replacement himself.

Also, they have the misfortune to have never won a World Series. Would you want your team to sell one of your hottest players and the fan favorite in the middle of your best chance at it in decades?

My point is, if you're going to go for broke in a season (which they've already done), you can't do it halfway. Backtracking in the middle of your only season to contend is a fine way to alienate fans and get your stars to ask for trades.

Vottomatic
05-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Lance had a radio guy from Chicago on his show the other day. When asked if he thought the Cubs would be players in the Pujols free agent sweepstakes, he said yes. But he really thought the Cubs were going to pursue Fielder, saying they needed a LH power bat in the worst way. Reminded Lance they have nearly $50M coming off the books after this season.

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Its more a matter of "when" then "if" they trade Prince in my opinion. As others have said, do they go all out for this year and let him walk, or trade him early and rebuild their org depth?

5TimeWSChamps
05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Its more a matter of "when" then "if" they trade Prince in my opinion. As others have said, do they go all out for this year and let him walk, or trade him early and rebuild their org depth?

It's obvious that they aren't going to win the World Series this year. They have to move him.

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
It's obvious that they aren't going to win the World Series this year. They have to move him.

My htinking too. When do their pitchers contracts run out? Braun?