PDA

View Full Version : whom did the Reds piss off?

brm7675
05-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Looking at the interleague play this year, the Reds got the hose in my opinion...

Interleague schedule 2011

Games/opponents winning %
Reds: 18 (.563)
Cards: 15 (.500)
Brewers: 15 (.466)

Reds
@Cleveland (3)
@Baltimore (3)
@Tampa (3)
New York (3)
Cleveland (3)
Toronton (3)

Cards
@Kansas City (3)
@Baltimore (3)
@Tampa (3)
Kansas City (3)
Toronto (3)

Brewers
@Boston (3)
@New York (3)
@Minnesota (3)
Tampa (3)
Minnesota (3)

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I hope this is the last year of inter league, a neat concept they never could really make work and be fair amongst the teams in reality.

brm7675
05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I hope this is the last year of inter league, a neat concept they never could really make work and be fair amongst the teams in reality.

it's going nowhere, it is a HUGE ticket seller for teams, I just wished it would be tweaked a bit.

Razzle
05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Minnesota isn't as bad as they've played and Cleveland isn't as good as they've played. The Brewers schedule looks the worst out of these three to me.

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 05:04 PM
it's going nowhere, it is a HUGE ticket seller for teams, I just wished it would be tweaked a bit.

Stats I saw recently actually differ. Big cities with 2 teams show good sales, NY, LA, etc, but they sell well regardless. The rest of the league doesnt show much, if any difference over the time frame of interleague.

swaisuc
05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
The Cards will always get the advantage over anyone due to their 6 games with KC.

The Reds have an average schedule compared to everyone else. Winning percentage just looks high because of Cleveland's hot start.

The DARK
05-20-2011, 12:36 AM
The Brewers must have been feeling this way at the beginning of the year (All their games are against 4 of the 5 playoff teams from last year), but with the way those teams have been playing, they've lucked out so far.

In reality, we're playing the most overachieving teams in baseball. Toronto is anchored by Bautista playing out of his mind at this point, Baltimore is falling back to Earth, and Tampa has plenty of players playing well above their levels, Cleveland and New York will be tough, but come on, we're the division champs. These games aren't unwinnable, and their teams have plenty of holes.

Also, what's the beef around here with interleague play? They've always been my favorite games of the year.

bounty37h
05-20-2011, 10:34 AM
The Brewers must have been feeling this way at the beginning of the year (All their games are against 4 of the 5 playoff teams from last year), but with the way those teams have been playing, they've lucked out so far.

In reality, we're playing the most overachieving teams in baseball. Toronto is anchored by Bautista playing out of his mind at this point, Baltimore is falling back to Earth, and Tampa has plenty of players playing well above their levels, Cleveland and New York will be tough, but come on, we're the division champs. These games aren't unwinnable, and their teams have plenty of holes.

Also, what's the beef around here with interleague play? They've always been my favorite games of the year.

I just dont like the unbalanced part of it, schedule and team composition with the DH for the AL. I dont know how they could fix either (other then returning the AL to baseball and ridding the DH). As for scheduling, I dont know how they can fix that to balance it out better-cant add more games to make sure everyone plays everyone fromthe other league.

The DARK
05-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I just dont like the unbalanced part of it, schedule and team composition with the DH for the AL. I dont know how they could fix either (other then returning the AL to baseball and ridding the DH). As for scheduling, I dont know how they can fix that to balance it out better-cant add more games to make sure everyone plays everyone fromthe other league.

Meh. It seems like a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things (especially when you compare it to far more unbalanced systems like the NCAA). Besides, baseball can be a more variable sport in terms of results than, say, basketball. In general, in the NBA, playoff series almost always results in the best team winning; in baseball, dropping a series to a team like the Pirates is a regular occurrence. Tough scheduling happens; that's part of baseball. We aren't competing against AL teams for playoff spots. Sure, the World Series remains unbalanced.

I would love if the DH were abolished, don't get me wrong. It puts a huge amount of strategy back into the game. How many famous managers do you hear about in the AL compared to the NL? They don't have a Tony La Russa, or a Bobby Cox. All you hear about is the GMs and owners who deal for big name players that no one in the NL can afford. In my opinion, NL baseball is one of the richest games of strategy in all of sports, with 25 men who all have a chance at being used, each with their own purpose. AL baseball reduces the 15 players not the pitcher or in the starting lineup to benchwarmers.

But I'm not worried about that with interleague play. If the AL wins more games overall than the NL, oh well. It's just a different kind of competition for us to play against. Again, we're not competing against them for playoff spots.

defender
05-20-2011, 03:46 PM
But I'm not worried about that with interleague play. If the AL wins more games overall than the NL, oh well. It's just a different kind of competition for us to play against. Again, we're not competing against them for playoff spots.

That would not be a problem, if all NL teams played the same AL schedule. They don't, and sometimes there is a significant difference. The Cards not only get 6 games with a weak regional opponent (KC), but the also avoid Boston and NY.

There are just too many IL games for their to be that much disparity in strenght of schedule.

NorrisHopper30
05-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Before season started no one though Indians would be in first, or Orioles would be 4 games below .500...not too bad of a sched IMO. Looks tough now, though.

ntorvik
05-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I welcome the challenge of a harder interleague schedule, I'm ok with it, shows us some other teams that we don't get to see all the time and gives us a chance to kind of prove ourselves to a larger audience, ya know?