PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cult movies

MikeThierry
05-22-2011, 05:31 AM
I was wondering what everyone's favorite cult movies were. This has always been kind of a hard category to put my finger on. It is difficult to define what a cult movie is. In my opinion, it is a movie that didn't really have big budget success yet developed a fan following over time. I would like to know if anyone has anything to add to that definition and what are some of your favorites. Here are mine:

The Big Lebowski: Love this movie. I would like to make it one time in my life to the Lebowski Fest.

Blade Runner: In my opinion, this is almost the definition of what a cult movie is. When it came out, it didn't really have that much success and was actually kind of panned by critics. Yet as time went on, a new appreciation evolved and this movie is regarded as a top ten science fiction movie by many well respected movie reviewers. I think one of the reasons why it gained notoriety is because it was ahead of its time and the movie finally became relevant as computers have advanced.

Equilibrium: I don't know if you would consider this a cult classic but it seems that when I bring this movie up, people tend to say "oh yeah, I've seen that, its a good movie". This wasn't actually released in the US because they felt it wouldn't succeed at the box office. It is one of my favorite scifi movies.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Another film that defines what a cult film is.

Slap Shot: Any true hockey fan loves this movie.

Dune: This movie was panned by critics and was unpopular with fans of the book because there was so many things left out. Unfortunately, David Lynch never really had his true vision of what Dune is because the studio drastically cut a lot of scenes from the movie. He was so outraged by what the studio did that he removed his name from the project and in some cuts of the movie, the director is labeled as Alan Smithee. Over time though, this movie has developed a following and many fans were pleased when the full length, uncut version was released.

Spinal Tap: I could watch this almost every single day and not get tired of it.

GAC
05-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Love Big Lebowski. Would also add Kingpin. But I love Cohen Brother movies. O'Brother Where Art Thou? is one of my favorites.

A lot of the cult movies were, IMO, great drive-in movies. Those were good times.

The acting was terrible in my opinion, but loved Billy Jack....

Billy Jack: I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face. And you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it."

Two-Lane Blacktop
Night Of The Living Dead

And one cannot talk about cult movies without mentioning Roger Corman's Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

Roger Vadim's Barbarella w/ Jane Fonda
Mad Max
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Warriors

And a final thanks (mention) to Russ Meyers! LOL

Scrap Irony
05-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Big Trouble in Little China is a favorite of mine. Wish they'd do more like that.

Also like O Brother a lot. (The music is gold, as is the nod to The Odyssey..)

RichRed
05-22-2011, 11:07 AM
"From Dusk Till Dawn"

tomred
05-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Johnny Footstool
05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Raising Arizona
Weird Science
Real Genius
Desperado
Evil Dead 2
Re-Animator
The Thing
Conan the Barbarian
and the ultimate bad movie...Roadhouse

MikeThierry
05-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Gahh.. how could I leave Roadhouse and Big Trouble in Little China off the list? In fact, Roadhouse was on TV last night. I still get a kick at the end when the dude almost dies from a giant stuffed bear being dropped on him.

Mutaman
05-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Gun Crazy (1950) by this guy Joseph Lewis. Its on TCM every so often.

Man On Wire - A "documentary" that was on TV last night. About this Frenchman, Philippe Petit, who snuck up to the World Trade Center in 1974, shot a cable accross to the North Tower using a bow and arrow, and then proceeded to walk accross 8 times. The movie does the event justice.

frenetic wave
05-23-2011, 04:35 AM
I second The Thing.

GAC
05-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Gahh.. how could I leave Roadhouse and Big Trouble in Little China off the list? In fact, Roadhouse was on TV last night. I still get a kick at the end when the dude almost dies from a giant stuffed bear being dropped on him.

Big Trouble was on yesterday too. Good flick.

MrCinatit
05-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Six String Samurai.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Midnight Madness

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Everyone else dies horribly, except lovable ol' Tinker, who gets knocked over by a bear.

TRF
05-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Big Trouble in Little China

Night of the Comet - Daddy would have gotten us uzi's...

The Last Starfighter

MikeThierry
05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Everyone else dies horribly, except lovable ol' Tinker, who gets knocked over by a bear.

You sort of have to laugh at Tinker. In what world is that guy hired protection? hahaha

foxfire123
05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Real Genius and Shaun Of The Dead.

redsfandan
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
The Usual Suspects

Leon: The Professional

Heathers

Jacob's Ladder

Angel Heart

Blue Velvet

and, of course, Office Space

Captain Hook
05-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Billy Madison and The Toxic Avenger are two I liked that I haven't seen mentioned.

Raisor
05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone that would define The Greatest Movie of All Time a "cult" film is crazy. The only way Roadhouse is a "Cult" film is if every man, woman, and child on the planet is part of your so called "cult".

Go day sir.

Redsfaithful
05-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Just watched Anvil: The Story of Anvil last night, and it was great and would probably qualify I think.

Trouble with this is defining cult. Some of the movies listed I think I'd quibble with them being considered "cult" films.

One other that I saw recently that I'd recommend to anyone with a sense of humor that loves movies is The Room. Not sure I've ever laughed so hard.

corkedbat
05-31-2011, 02:13 AM
"Clerks", "Clerks II" & "Super Troopers". "Holy Grail", "Life of Brian", and anything Python. "The Fifth Element," "A Boy and His Dog," & "Vanishing Point." From way back - "Groove Tube" & "Kentucky Fried Movie". The original "Death Race 2000" with David Carradine. For Schlock Effect: "Basket Case" & "Flesh Gordon". And the King of the Cults: "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

When I think of a "Cult Movie," I think of something without a wide-spread release and for the most part endlessly quoteable or with lots memorable scenes. Also, a film or Franchise that develops a hardcore, rabid "cult" following. "Attack of the Killer Fanboys." Now there's a great premise for a cult movie.

Eric in IL
05-31-2011, 04:14 AM
Haven't seen "Donnie Darko" mentioned.

bucksfan2
05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Super Troopers was awesome. I don't now if those same guys did BeerFest but their second attempt at a movie was poor.

The Boondock Saints was probably my favorite movie in college.

Blow was a fantastic movie. IMO one of the best performances by Jonny Depp.

Out Cold is a favorite of mine. There were a couple of stars who were unheard of in this movie.

Don't know if these are all cult movie but I like them.

SunDeck
05-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Raising Arizona
Holy Grail
Time Bandits

That's about it for me. I think there are a few directors who have cult like status, and who's movies people watch over and over.

Hal Hartley, Jim Jarmusch, John Waters, David Lynch, etc.

I could watch Hartley's Unbelievable Truth repeatedly.

RBA
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
But I love Cohen Brother movies. LOL

That's 'Coen'

Is Planes, Trains, and Automobiles a cult movie? I'll go with that one.

Rojo
05-31-2011, 12:06 PM
After reading this list, I'm not sure I know the definition of a cult movie.

5TimeWSChamps
05-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Dazed and Confused

Redsfaithful
05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Is Malick a cult director? The New World was one of the most intense experiences I ever had watching a movie.