PDA

View Full Version : Volquez: We’ve got to score some runs

Krawhitham
05-22-2011, 05:55 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/05/22/volquez-weve-got-to-score-more-runs/

Edinson Volquez started Sunday’s game and allowed seven runs in 2 2/3 innings in a 12-4 loss to Cleveland.

Not good.

What he said afterward is going to win him a lot of friends in the clubhouse.

“Everybody has to step up,” he said, “start to score some runs. In the last five games, how many runs have we scored? Like 13? That’s not the way we were playing last year. We’re better than that.”

Not what the rest of the club wants to hear on a day when you give up seven runs in less than three innings.

Volquez may be in denial.

Reds manager Dusty Baker said are “mulling over” Volquez’s future in the rotation.

The Reds have lost a season-high five in a row, equalling their longest skid of last year.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/05/22/volquez-weve-got-to-score-more-runs/

texasdave
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Mr. "Six-Going-On-Seven ERA" throws the second most productive offense in the N.L. under the bus. Sweet.

Spaxspore
05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
throw the offense under the boss when you cant even go 3 innings?!!

I bet he lost whatever respect he had left in the locker room.

Comments like that are poison.

osuredleg24
05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
wow...i say trade him...if Dusty's excuse for playing Gomes is because he's just so valuable in the clubhouse, then Volkie needs to be sent packing

redlegs7089
05-22-2011, 06:15 PM
lol wow just lost respect for that guy

Maker_84
05-22-2011, 06:21 PM
he's telling the truth, just telling the truth at a time when he pitches this bad is a very bad time.

redsfanmia
05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
he's telling the truth, just telling the truth at a time when he pitches this bad is a very bad time.

True. This offense is very over rated IMO, if they hit the ball out of the park they score, if they dont hit it out of the park they struggle. I think the offensive numbers look better than the actual offense is, if that makes any sense.

Spaxspore
05-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I can understand if Homer said this yesterday, after his gem.

But for volquez to say this,

All i can think of...

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/3129/impliedfacepalm.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/863/impliedfacepalm.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Maker_84
05-22-2011, 06:43 PM
True. This offense is very over rated IMO, if they hit the ball out of the park they score, if they dont hit it out of the park they struggle. I think the offensive numbers look better than the actual offense is, if that makes any sense.

this offense is only good because they are good at teeing of against awful pitching and score a lot of runs in those games. When facing a pitcher with a pulse then they are usually shutdown pretty easily, hence why they are deceptively bad.

DocRed
05-22-2011, 07:19 PM
EV is joke...he has no heart, all he cares about his his big pay day.

redram
05-22-2011, 07:26 PM
And that right there is his problem. He really thinks he is not part of the problem. His attitude stinks and always has. He thinks he is much better than what he is. I cannot stand this type of player and you can bet he is a cancer in the club house. Last year this team played great without him and they would be better off without him now. He makes me sick. At least Gomes is a team player and knows he is stinking it up right now, he was mad as crap when he struck out yesterday. Watch Volquez when he gives up run after run, he could care less.

redsrolen
05-22-2011, 07:29 PM
this offense is only good because they are good at teeing of against awful pitching and score a lot of runs in those games. When facing a pitcher with a pulse then they are usually shutdown pretty easily, hence why they are deceptively bad.

I can't believe the time has come, the earth around me is shaking, my heart is pounding can it be??????? I agree with Maker!!! We almost never tee off on really good ,pitchers!! The offense is a real concern for me, Gomes, Janish, Rentaria, and my friend Scotty!! (Scotty needs to be platooned, or he'll be out again)
About Volquez, he really doesn't deserve to be mentioned!!

Kevin1476
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
They can't score any runs for him because he keeps his defense in the hot sun for thirty minutes an inning.

Krawhitham
05-22-2011, 08:48 PM

22 runs 3 games VS the Cards

cbowen2112
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM
22 runs 3 games VS the Cards

This

Krawhitham
05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Arizona & Pittsburgh have owned the Reds this year, neither has a great staff

Without those games the Reds have a 0.629 WPCT (that is 102 wins for a season), 9 games above .500

If is not the good teams that are killing the Reds but the teams we should beat

So it is not good pitching that is killing the team

Hey you guys do realize that Cleveland is the best team in baseball right? The Reds are 9th best.

Vottomatic
05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
If Volquez isn't in Louisville tomorrow night, then management and Dusty have no cahones. Seriously.

And yes, Volquez still has options left.

Spaxspore
05-22-2011, 10:51 PM
If Volquez isn't in Louisville tomorrow night, then management and Dusty have no cahones. Seriously.

agreed, this kid needs a taste of reality.

DaytonFlyer
05-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't disagree with what Volquez said, but agree that his timing is WAY off.

mroby85
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't disagree with what Volquez said, but agree that his timing is WAY off.

I dont disagree with what he said either, but it definitely wasn't his place to say it. I don't think he should be worrying about an facet of the game other than his own. To be honest, I feel that way about everyone on the team including Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey. It isn't really their place to call out the offense, its especially ridiculous though when it is someone who has been pitching like Volquez. Not many offenses win games when your starter has given up 7 runs by the 3rd inning.

jredmo2
05-23-2011, 05:58 PM
To be fair, let's try to see this from Edinson's perspective. When he is playing, he sees runs scored frequently and with ease.

smixsell
05-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Spot on.

And if he ever puts together a decent run of games TRADE HIM.

foxfire123
05-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Memo to Volquez: Your JOB is to throw STRIKES. Not walk and/or give up multiple home runs per game. Think about it you donkey's behind.

bounty37h
05-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Mr. "Six-Going-On-Seven ERA" throws the second most productive offense in the N.L. under the bus. Sweet.

Nah, they jsut didnt give his whole quote. After that, he said "I meAN, if I am giving up 6-8 runs in the first 2 innings alone, we need to be able to score 10 or more when I pitch to win".