PDA

View Full Version : Frazier, Maloney to MLB, Volquez and Smith to AAA; Herrera waived

Pages : [1] 2

Benihana
05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
And will play against Philly tonight according to The Minor League Forum/Twitter...

oneupper
05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Rolen to DL?

NJReds
05-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Did Rolen get hurt yesterday? Is it possible that Gomes was DFA?

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Good stuff, excited to see how he does with the big team.

05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I would imagine Gomes to the DL. He did look like something wasn't right on his last AB yesterday.

This seems like a really smart move, as he can spell Rolen and play LF.

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I would imagine Gomes to the DL. He did look like something wasn't right on his last AB yesterday.

Gomes or Rolen?

BuckeyeRedleg
05-23-2011, 10:51 AM
How come when guys stink they get sent to the DL? Are we just afraid to hurt feelings?

Forget the above if Gomes is DFA'd.

REDREAD
05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Maybe they brought up Frasier to counsel EV?

oneupper
05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Could be Volquez to AAA, pending another move later.

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
How come when guys stink they get sent to the DL? Are we just afraid to hurt feelings?

Forget the above if Gomes is DFA'd.

I understand the circumstances around DL'ing someone like Chapman....

Any move involving Gomes that isn't a DFA is outside the bounds of sound business.

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Could be Volquez to AAA, pending another move later.

And thereby carrying 6 OF?

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
And thereby carrying 6 OF?

Frazier is IF/OF.

edabbs44
Any move involving Gomes that isn't a DFA is outside the bounds of sound business.

Let's not get hysterical.

HokieRed
I don't care if they DL or DFA Gomes. I'm willing to believe that part of his problem may be injury. What I do like about their bringing Frazier is that perhaps it signals we're going to have a culture of performance. Personally I think that's a way of thinking about the change Edwin Encarnacion for Scott Rolen brought to this team. (I'm not suggesting there's anything other than excellent about Gomes' attitude; he's just worn out the time limit for left fielders hitting sub .200) Now what would confirm this is a move involving EV, either to L'ville or out of the organization and a promotion of Sam LeCure to the rotation, where he's obviously earned a spot.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Thank God! It's about time. Good luck Todd...hope you brought your hot bat with you!

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM

This seems like a really smart move, as he can spell Rolen and play LF.

Just in case you weren't aware of it...Frazier can also play 1st, 2nd and Short as well. Short would be in case of emergency though. He was moved off of short due to his lack of range IIRC.

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Let's not get hysterical.

If he's not injured (and there's been no indication that he is), and they must make a move involving him, then what else would you call it?

BuckeyeRedleg
05-23-2011, 11:20 AM
1. Frazier called up – Cairo to DL.

2. Alonso or Francisco called up - Gomes DFA’d.

3. Maloney or Leake called up - Volquez to AAA (either LeCure takes his place in rotation and Maloney/Leake to BP or Maloney/Leake to rotation).

4. Jeremy Horst called up - Jordan Smith to AAA. (Herrera off the 40 - Horst takes Herrera’s spot on the 40).

Next: potential removals from the 40:

-Daryl Thompson
-Carlos Fisher
-Jeremy Hermida

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
If he's not injured (and there's been no indication that he is), and they must make a move involving him, then what else would you call it?

Keeping him on the bench as a reserve for the time being is not a bad move by any stretch.

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Keeping him on the bench as a reserve for the time being is not a bad move by any stretch.

By "move", I meant a transaction involving him.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
1. Frazier called up – Cairo to DL.

2. Alonso or Francisco called up - Gomes DFA’d.

3. Maloney or Leake called up - Volquez to AAA (either LeCure takes his place in rotation and Maloney/Leake to BP or Maloney/Leake to rotation).

4. Jeremy Horst called up - Jordan Smith to AAA. (Herrera off the 40 - Horst takes Herrera’s spot on the 40).

Next: potential removals from the 40:

-Daryl Thompson
-Carlos Fisher
-Jeremy Hermida

I could get behind pretty much all of that. One thing though...does Gomes have options? If he could find his swing again in the minors, he could still help this club. I don't think anybody here can question his heart, effort and his ability to hit the ball out of the park.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I could get behind pretty much all of that. One thing though...does Gomes have options? If he could find his swing again in the minors, he could still help this club. I don't think anybody here can question his heart, effort and his ability to hit the ball out of the park.

Once Gomes clears waivers, if he accepts, they can send him down to Louisville.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
By "move", I meant a transaction involving him.

Understood...

pahster
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Just in case you weren't aware of it...Frazier can also play 1st, 2nd and Short as well. Short would be in case of emergency though. He was moved off of short due to his lack of range IIRC.

I wonder if he's actually worse defensively than a 34 year old Edgar Renteria. I've never seen him play SS, but Renteria has looked pretty poor at short these last few years.

JaxRed
05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Just my opinion, but I bet the corresponding doesn't involve Renteria.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I wonder if he's actually worse defensively than a 34 year old Edgar Renteria. I've never seen him play SS, but Renteria has looked pretty poor at short these last few years.

I'm pretty sure that Frazier hasn't played SS in quite a while.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Nice move. Despite getting off to a slow start mainly because of a low BABIP, Frazier was hitting .293/.366/.579 - .945 OPS with 11 HR in 164 atbats. His versatility and power adds a lot to the team. I hope he's in the lineup tonight in LF.

CTA513
05-23-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm guessing Gomes or Cairo for who hes replacing.
Cairo only because of that knee injury he had might be bad enough to put him on the DL.

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Looking at the numbers looks like Frazier has came on really strong in AAA Louisville. I'm excited to see this guy. I hope this stay is for good.

For what it's worth I'm guessing this move had nothing to do with Gomes. Gomes will be here all year come rain or sunshine

crazybob60
05-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Any idea of when the Reds will make an announcement?

SirFelixCat
05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Curious to see the corresponding move(s). I'd think it has to be Rolen or Cairo...other wise it'd be Alonso coming up, right?

remdog
05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Nothing at all excites me about Todd Frazier. Yeah, he can play many positions but, to me, none of them exceptionally.

He's having a good month and a half at L'ville but he's been disapointing previously to this year.

I've always felt that he was drafted too high and that was the reason the Reds kept trying to push him foreward---to justify the high pick.

Actually if it's Cairo that he's replacing, I'm guessing that he'll end up with a career much like Migel's. Bouncing from team to team, filling in here and there, being of some value but not really earning a long-term position. (famous shrug) Certainly, I could be wrong and it would be great if he turns into Pete Rose but I just have my douts at this point.

We can review this in 10 years.

Rem

Chip R
05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Nothing at all excites me about Todd Frazier. Yeah, he can play many positions but, to me, none of them exceptionally.

He's having a good month and a half at L'ville but he's been disapointing previously to this year.

I've always felt that he was drafted too high and that was the reason the Reds kept trying to push him foreward---to justify the high pick.

Actually if it's Cairo that he's replacing, I'm guessing that he'll end up with a career much like Migel's. Bouncing from team to team, filling in here and there, being of some value but not really earning a long-term position. (famous shrug) Certainly, I could be wrong and it would be great if he turns into Pete Rose but I just have my douts at this point.

Rem

I mostly agree. A few years ago Dayton Dragons' hitting coach Darren Bragg spoke to our group and he mentioned how a lot of the players are distracted by things other than baseball. Someone asked him which players were not like that and he said Frazier was very focused on baseball. So take that FWIW. I do agree he is probably going to end up like Cairo and he's probably not the cure for what ails this team.

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Not really all that excited about this move -- Frazier is hot, but he really hasn't hit exceptionally well since Dayton.

Career ~.825-.850 guy in the minors. Bat has some pop. I read in more than a few places that he looked lost at the plate last year in AAA.

11larkin11
05-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Fay speculates it could be Renteria possibly on Bereavement. Says he left clubhouse yesterday not in suit which is required for plane.

Benihana
05-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Rem

I've forecasted for some time now that he will have a career somewhere between Miguel Cairo and Mark DeRosa. Not overwhelming but has some value nonetheless.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Fay speculates it could be Renteria possibly on Bereavement. Says he left clubhouse yesterday not in suit which is required for plane.

Phew

Fred Lewis and Jonny Gomes would be candidates to be designated for assignment, if Frazier is coming up to play left. But Dusty Baker said on his show with Marty Brennaman yesterday that he assured Gomes he is part of the plan.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2011, 12:42 PM
They can't DFA Gomes -- they've got 30,000 of these little fellas to give out later in the season that have already been paid for:
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jonny_gomes_bobblehead1.jpg

PuffyPig
05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Actually if it's Cairo that he's replacing, I'm guessing that he'll end up with a career much like Migel's.

FWIW, Cairo has never been considered much of a hitter, especially in the power department.

Frazier has good power.

Chip R
05-23-2011, 12:50 PM
But Dusty Baker said on his show with Marty Brennaman yesterday that he assured Gomes he is part of the plan.

I think they need a new plan then.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that Frazier hasn't played SS in quite a while.

Correct. 71 games in 2008, 41 games in 2007.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 12:53 PM

We don't know what the plan is though. It could be to win the AAA championship for all we know.

GOYA
05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Frazier plays a very good 3B and LF. I wouldn't want to see him at 2B or anywhere near SS.

His last 10 games:

.324/.381/.595 - .976 OPS

37 AB - 3 BB - 8 K - 3 HR

camisadelgolf
05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
For the past 10 months, he has been one of the hottest hitters in all of baseball. He has basically had only one cold month in that time period. That's also not to mention that he's a top prospect. I don't understand claiming that he was 'pushed'. He has OPSed more than .800 and played solid defense at every level. How is that rushing?

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
For the past 10 months, he has been one of the hottest hitters in all of baseball. He has basically had only one cold month in that time period. That's also not to mention that he's a top prospect. I don't understand claiming that he was 'pushed'. He has OPSed more than .800 and played solid defense at every level. How is that rushing?

It's not, but at the same time, let's not pretend that OPS'ing ~.800-.850 in the minors is particularly worth crowing about either. .

cumberlandreds
05-23-2011, 01:04 PM

If that's the plan, then they are planning on being home in October.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 01:06 PM
If that's the plan, then they are planning on being home in October.

He was a part of the plan last year and they were staying in hotels in October.

Benihana
05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
I say this at my own peril, but I think Gomes' presence is actually very good for team chemistry. He shouldn't be the everyday LF, but I don't mind him on the bench as a pinch-hitter and in the clubhouse. I think he is part of what makes this team tick behind the scenes.

(Ducking)

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I say this at my own peril, but I think Gomes' presence is actually very good for team chemistry. He shouldn't be the everyday LF, but I don't mind him on the bench as a pinch-hitter and in the clubhouse. I think he is part of what makes this team tick behind the scenes.

(Ducking)

That's crazy talk!

cumberlandreds
05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
He was a part of the plan last year and they were staying in hotels in October.

That was then and this is now. He's been putrid at the plate for two months and is showing no signs of coming around. The Reds were lucky with him last year. That was most likely his career year. If the Reds are to keep him around I hope does turn it around. But IMO he's not. I have a feeling though he's going to be around until after his bobblehead day has past. It's too expensive to trash 30,000 of those things.

Larkin Fan
05-23-2011, 01:19 PM
What kind of plan? A demolition plan?

IslandRed
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a feeling though he's going to be around until after his bobblehead day has past. It's too expensive to trash 30,000 of those things.

It's also embarrassing to have a bobblehead day for a player who's being barbecued on a daily basis.

Sunk cost and all that.

LvJ
05-23-2011, 01:24 PM
DFA Gomes, Outright Smith / Call up Frazier and Willis.

kaldaniels
05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Seg Dennison says there are still reports Maloney is on the way too.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 01:30 PM
That was then and this is now. He's been putrid at the plate for two months and is showing no signs of coming around. The Reds were lucky with him last year. That was most likely his career year. If the Reds are to keep him around I hope does turn it around. But IMO he's not. I have a feeling though he's going to be around until after his bobblehead day has past. It's too expensive to trash 30,000 of those things.

He's really only been putrid for about a month. OPS sat at 1.056 on April 20th. Agree that there haven't been any signs of life but we know he isn't nearly as bad as he has shown over the last 4 weeks. We have seen plenty of guys goes through month-long droughts, and I do realize that JG gets a ton less rope than some others (and rightfully so for some), but let's be fair.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Seg Dennison says there are still reports Maloney is on the way too.

I just read that too. I don't understand that move. Matt has struggled lately.

Ron Madden
05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
They can't DFA Gomes -- they've got 30,000 of these little fellas to give out later in the season that have already been paid for:
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jonny_gomes_bobblehead1.jpg

Winning should be above bobbleheads on any priority list. ;)

kaldaniels
05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Winning should be above bobbleheads on any priority list. ;)

Google "Chris Welsh" and "bobblehead". Welsh may disagree.

redsfan30
05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
255 presently viewing the Old Red Guard for Todd Frazier being called up??

mattfeet
05-23-2011, 01:35 PM
John Fay per Twitter says Reds won't announce Frazier move until all players are informed. He said it sounds like an "option move".

-Matt

Ron Madden
05-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Google "Chris Welsh" and "bobblehead". Welsh may disagree.

So be it. Chris Welsh and I often disagree. ;)

SirFelixCat
05-23-2011, 01:38 PM

(Ducking)

I agree totally. He has his value, but it doesn't include facing anyone who throws with their right hand. Pretty simple, really, imo.

WrongVerb
05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
255 presently viewing the Old Red Guard for Todd Frazier being called up??

I know. We're slacking a bit.

PuffyPig
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I just read that too. I don't understand that move. Matt has struggled lately.

With Utley having been activated today, the Phillies best two hitters are both LH. Probably wanting to have an extra lefty in the bullpen I'm guessing.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 01:47 PM
John Fay per Twitter says Reds won't announce Frazier move until all players are informed. He said it sounds like an "option move".

-Matt

Hmmm...

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't think there's any question that Volquez is getting optioned out in favor of Maloney. That one's pretty much written in stone at this point I'd say. But Frazier...I just don't see them DFA'ing Gomes. I'm betting it'll be a DL assignment for somebody...Cairo/Renteria/Gomes/Janish. Take your pick.

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2011, 01:59 PM

-Matt

DFA Herrera
Add Frazier to 40-man
Option Volquez to Louisville

lollipopcurve
05-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Add Frazier to 40-man

He's already on it.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 02:01 PM
DFA Herrera
Add Frazier to 40-man
Option Volquez to Louisville

Nope. They're saying Maloney's coming up too. Not to mention the fact that they're not going to short the pitching staff to add another bat. They'll keep it in the same ratio.

And Todd Frazier is already on the 40-man roster.

klw
05-23-2011, 02:03 PM
If people are guessing what the move is, do you mind putting in your post that this is a guess or what you would like to see so that way it is clear that this is not news but rather a viewpoint.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
The plot thickens...

johnfayman John Fay
Frazier, Maloney in hotel lobby. Hearing D Ray Herrera claimed off waivers #reds

reds1869
05-23-2011, 02:12 PM
The plot thickens...

Indeed it does. Looks like some people may be getting their wish about a pitcher moving down I-71.

reds44
05-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Me thinks Maloney is here as an extra arm for a few days and Dontrelle makes Volquez's next start.

klw
05-23-2011, 02:13 PM
per fay

johnfayman John Fay
Frazier, Maloney in hotel lobby. Hearing D Ray Herrera claimed off waivers #reds
1 minute ago
oops: Looks like we now have two threads.

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Kind of sad to see DRH go. Felt like he had some value at some point down the road. And deep down inside, him being salvageable as a LOOGY made Volquez being a fraud hurt less. I'm excited to learn what all these moves are.

Ron Madden
05-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Kind of sad to see DRH go. Felt like he had some value at some point down the road. And deep down inside, him being salvageable as a LOOGY made Volquez being a fraud hurt less. I'm excited to learn what all these moves are.

I believe this thread should be added to the Frazier Promoted thread.

Easier to follow that way.

reds44
05-23-2011, 02:18 PM
My guess is Volquez and Smith go down today, and whenever Volquez's next turn in the rotation is they send down/DFA a position player for Willis.

That would explain them waiving DRH.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I believe this thread should be added to the Frazier Promoted thread.

Easier to follow that way.

Yea,my bad. I didn't realize the Danny Ray part was added to the Frazier thread. Go ahead and do what you want.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Brewers claim Danny Ray

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
And it's the Brewers, of all teams, to claim DRH.

Looks like the Reds will get to (hopefully) tee off on him later this year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

RedsManRick
05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Brewers claim Danny Ray

Plan is to claim that he and Counsell should only take up one spot, combined, on the 25 man roster.

Def sounds like Volquez to Louisville to me.

IslandRed
05-23-2011, 02:29 PM
My guess is Volquez and Smith go down today, and whenever Volquez's next turn in the rotation is they send down/DFA a position player for Willis.

That would explain them waiving DRH.

Right, they are obviously preparing to add someone to the 40. Willis is as good a guess as any.

Hoosier Red
05-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Right, they are obviously preparing to add someone to the 40. Willis is as good a guess as any.

Frazier didn't need to be added?

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Maybe they won't add anyone right away but could later this week.

wally post
05-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Plan is to claim that he and Counsell should only take up one spot, combined, on the 25 man roster.

I likey! LOL

oneupper
05-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Brewers claim Danny Ray

Danny Ray refuses to go to Milwaukee, fearful that Prince Fielder will mistake him for his lunch.

mace
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Jeremy Horst is another.

IslandRed
05-23-2011, 02:36 PM

No, he's been there since last winter.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Def sounds like Volquez to Louisville to me.

Herrera on Counsell's shoulders, one XX-Tall uniform.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM

I'm kinda sad to see him go as well. But for me it's simply because I LOVED watching him throw that slow bugs bunny breaking ball that made guys look absolutely foolish at times. That plus it was a treat seeing him stand next to Ondrusek in the bully. :O)

Hoosier Red
05-23-2011, 02:42 PM
No, he's been there since last winter.

Thanks for answering questions I'm too lazy to look up myself.

05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I agree totally. He has his value, but it doesn't include facing anyone who throws with their right hand. Pretty simple, really, imo.

Well put. He's OPSing over 1.000 against lefties.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I just texted a player and he hadn't heard anything. Didn't even know about Frazier and Maloney yet

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Well put. He's OPSing over 1.000 against lefties.

21 AB?

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Also, that player said it could be him, but he was just saying.

camisadelgolf
05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Walt Jocketty's waiver history as GM of the Reds:

Lost on waivers
Andy Phillips (claimed by New York Mets)
Marcus McBeth (claimed by Boston Red Sox)
Todd Coffey (claimed by Milwaukee Brewers)
Ramon Ramirez (claimed by Tampa Bay Rays)
Craig Tatum (claimed by Baltimore Orioles)
Pedro Viola (claimed by Baltimore Orioles)
Drew Sutton (claimed by Cleveland Indians)
Daniel Ray Herrera (claimed by Milwaukee Brewers)

Claimed on waivers:
Andy Phillips (claimed from New York Mets)

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
21 AB?

.883 for his career. 822 PAs.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Walt Jocketty's waiver history as GM of the Reds:

Lost on waivers
Andy Phillips (claimed by New York Mets)
Marcus McBeth (claimed by Boston Red Sox)
Todd Coffey (claimed by Milwaukee Brewers)
Ramon Ramirez (claimed by Tampa Bay Rays)
Craig Tatum (claimed by Baltimore Orioles)
Pedro Viola (claimed by Baltimore Orioles)
Drew Sutton (claimed by Cleveland Indians)
Daniel Ray Herrera (claimed by Milwaukee Brewers)

Claimed on waivers:
Andy Phillips (claimed from New York Mets)

All-star lineup. I remember when Marcus McBeth was huge on here.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Also, that player said it could be him, but he was just saying.

If that player was a Mr. Votto...that player would be dead wrong. :D

oneupper
05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
All-star lineup. I remember when Marcus McBeth was huge on here.

Bringing up Denorfia again? :nono:

Homer Bailey
05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow. Gomes not in the lineup vs. a lefty tonight. Could he be gone?

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
If that player was a Mr. Votto...that player would be dead wrong. :D

Why not? He needs to work on his homerun trot. I'm sure ED can help him with that in Louisville.

11larkin11
Lewis in LF vs. Hamels, a lefty. Doesn't look good for Gomes

oneupper

Lewis 3 for 6 vs. Hamels. Dusty loves his matchups.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

He really does.

camisadelgolf
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Fwiw, John Fay on Twitter:

johnfayman John Fay
I'm told the #Reds won't announce Frazier call-up until the players being sent out is told. Sounds like an option move.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Jordan Smith: "I bet it's me."

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Then hit him SECOND! No way Janish should be hitting 2nd....again. Look, I love Janish, probably more than most here, but good lord....he needs to be low in the lineup.

cumberlandreds
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Then hit him SECOND! No way Janish should be hitting 2nd....again. Look, I love Janish, probably more than most here, but good lord....he needs to be low in the lineup.

You know the rule. SS always hits 2nd. :nono:

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Wow. Gomes not in the lineup vs. a lefty tonight. Could he be gone?

The thing about matchups sometimes is that we automatically look at the batter vs the pitcher and not the pitcher vs the batter.

Career stats:

Hamels vs LHH: .710 OPS
Hamels vs RHH: .692 OPS

Chip R
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM

From what I heard, Dusty seems to believe that stacking the lineup against Hamels with lefties may neutralize Hamel's changeup somewhat.

oneupper

You must have missed Dusty lineup construction 101.

"CF hits first"
"SS hits second"
"C hits eighth"

"Dude, where have you been! :D

Caveat Emperor

Maloney -> Smith
Frazier -> Volquez

Then, when it's Volquez's turn in the rotation:

Willis -> Someone

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:00 PM

Janish hitting 2nd reeks of a Gomes move...they are trying to get him started. Dude has the 3rd worst OPS in the league (min 125 PAs).

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 03:00 PM

I'd say the odds are against that. I understand how he feels because he's certainly struggled, but I don't see them sending TWO pitchers down and calling up a bat and an arm.

I've really been pulling for Jordan too. When he's on, his stuff is SOOOOO suited for GABP. He's a ground ball machine when he's on. But lately he seems to be missing his spots considerably. Odd, when he's so good down in L'ville.

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
@jch24 Jeremy Harrison
RT @garylmoore78: @jch24 WLW reporting Renteria is leaving and Gomes was released, Herrerra was picked up by Brewers. Maloney & Frazier up

http://twitter.com/#!/jch24/status/72738126090604544

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I highly doubt that.

Plus Plus
Obviously, that is NOT an official Reds report. But it's worth posting here.

NJReds
From what I heard, Dusty seems to believe that stacking the lineup against Hamels with lefties may neutralize Hamel's changeup somewhat.

Chip ... where the heck is the Rally Onion? Was it optioned, too? :confused:

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
According to WLW, Renteria is unhappy with his role in Cincinnati.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
You must have missed Dusty lineup construction 101.

"CF hits first"
"SS hits second"
"C hits eighth"

"Dude, where have you been! :D

That was certainly true last year, but up until recently, he's gotten away from his tried and true formula this season. I'm wondering when he's planning on making that move of Rolen to the 4 hole and Phillips back to 2nd. He said he was going to do it already but Scott told him to wait since they were rollin' at the time. Can't say that now...so what's the hold-up? Rolen still not in a groove? Bull. He's swinging one of the hottest bats on the club. Phillips too good in the 4 hole? Bull. He's been good ANYWHERE this year. Make the move Dusty.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:04 PM
What is WLW?

mattfeet
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM

Wow...This is getting interesting.

_Sir_Charles_
@jch24 Jeremy Harrison
RT @garylmoore78: @jch24 WLW reporting Renteria is leaving and Gomes was released, Herrerra was picked up by Brewers. Maloney & Frazier up

http://twitter.com/#!/jch24/status/72738126090604544 (http://twitter.com/#%21/jch24/status/72738126090604544)

Interesting. Fay was speculating about Renteria and a bereavement issue. If he's upset about his playing time, so be it. It's not like he was playing better than Janish. And I'm not buying the Gomes thing until I see it.

HokieRed
Wow...This is getting interesting.

If he can be moved, I'd love to see it.

Tornon
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
What is WLW?

It's the main sports radio station out of Cincinnati

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow, very interesting.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
It's the main sports radio station out of Cincinnati

Thank you.

redsmetz
I'm late to the news, can some give a brief synopsis of what we do know. I haven't read the entire thread and figured some others might like a brief update too. Thanks.

edabbs44
What is WLW?

You really don't know what WLW is yet you speak to Walt and text players?

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm late to the news, can some give a brief synopsis of what we do know. I haven't read the entire thread and figured some others might like a brief update too. Thanks.

Frazier and Maloney up, Herrera claimed by Mil, sounds like potentially Gomes and Renteria going somewhere.

reds44
05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Ehheehhe if it's Gomes and Renteria I may do a black flip in my office.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM

I don't live in Cincinnati?

reds44
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Wait a minute if it's Gomes and Edgar why the DFA for DRH then? That would clear three 40 man sports, no?

GOYA
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM

WLW is the clear channel flagship station of the Reds radio network.

redsmetz
I don't remember, was Maloney no longer on the 40 man roster, hence the Herrara move? Or was Frazier not on it yet? I'm not surprised by Herrara being waived, but I"m puzzled as to which move necessitated it now.

edabbs44
Ehheehhe if it's Gomes and Renteria I may do a black flip in my office.

In your office? Aren't you 15 years old? ;)

cinreds21
Wait a minute if it's Gomes and Edgar why the DFA for DRH then? That would clear three 40 man sports, no?

That's why I doubt it's true. It could be, but I just don't see them sending both out at once. I could be wrong though.

PuffyPig
Frazier and Maloney up, Herrera claimed by Mil, sounds like potentially Gomes and Renteria going somewhere.

That wouldn't explain (1) why we have an extra pitcher;(2) why we need the extra 40-man roster spot; and (3) who the back-up SS is.

Ghosts of 1990
Hoping we hang onto Renteria

Reds Freak
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM

I'm unhappy that Renteria is hitting .228/.356/.253.

edabbs44

I thought it was common knowledge. My bad.

I don't live in Cincy either and knew mostly from visiting this site.

cinreds21
I don't remember, was Maloney no longer on the 40 man roster, hence the Herrara move? Or was Frazier not on it yet? I'm not surprised by Herrara being waived, but I"m puzzled as to which move necessitated it now.

Maloney and Frazier were both on the 40.

reds44
In your office? Aren't you 15 years old? ;)
Doing big things at a young age! Sucks having my mom drive me here everday though LOL

11larkin11
If it's true about Renteria, all I have to say is Zack Cozart, keep hitting, my friend

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
That wouldn't explain (1) why we have an extra pitcher;(2) why we need the extra 40-man roster spot; and (3) who the back-up SS is.

Renetria "leaving" doesn't mean release. Fay hinted at bereavement.

Plus Plus

So far, we know according to several sources that Todd Frazier and Matt Maloney are at the Reds hotel in Philadelphia, and that Danny Ray Herrera has been released and reportedly claimed by Milwaukee (which is strong speculation, not official reporting that he has been claimed by the Brewers). We also know that the lineup is Stubbs Janish Votto Phillips Bruce Rolen Lewis Hanigan Arroyo, so the roster spot that is being taken by Frazier or Maloney is not occupied by Lewis (who is the only potential suspect on that list).

Reports are out there that Renteria did not report with the Reds on their plane to Philadelphia, and a WLW radio report is saying that Renteria has left the Reds due to being unhappy with his role and that Gomes has been released, which could explain the two roster spots that Maloney and Frazier now occupy. However, there is also a quote by Dusty Baker that Gomes has been reassured that he is a part of the team's plan. Fay also hinted that Renteria could be on bereavement.

However, there has been no official release by the Reds, Fay, Sheldon, or any of the beat writers close to the situation.

I hope this makes sense.

cinreds21
I thought it was common knowledge. My bad.

I don't live in Cincy either and knew mostly from visiting this site.

Never noticed it mentioned. Sorry :(

PuffyPig
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
In the vain of strange roster moves, the Cards have sent down Mitchell Boggs when they activated Schumaker.

Boggs has the best xFIP of all Cards relievers.

Batista has the worse at 5.35, which is slightly higher than Franklin's.

cinreds21
Renetria "leaving" doesn't mean release. Fay hinted at bereavement.

lol you're right. That makes the most sense.

camisadelgolf
If Renteria is taking an extended leave (i.e. traded or retired), the Reds' backup shortstop options become 1.) Todd Frazier and 2.) Miguel Cairo. There's no way they wouldn't call up Cozart or Valaika for that unless there were a trade.

Homer Bailey
RT @dowens34 @johnfayman id say no trade was made...you agree??//Yes

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
If Renteria is taking an extended leave (i.e. traded or retired), the Reds' backup shortstop options become 1.) Todd Frazier and 2.) Miguel Cairo. There's no way they wouldn't call up Cozart or Valaika for that unless there were a trade.

The way PJ is going, he might be the the #1 backup option.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Everyone is forgetting the most important part of all this.

What number is Frazier going to wear?

:)

redsmetz
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
So far, we know according to several sources that Todd Frazier and Matt Maloney are at the Reds hotel in Philadelphia, and that Danny Ray Herrera has been released and reportedly claimed by Milwaukee (which is strong speculation, not official reporting that he has been claimed by the Brewers). We also know that the lineup is Stubbs Janish Votto Phillips Bruce Rolen Lewis Hanigan Arroyo, so the roster spot that is being taken by Frazier or Maloney is not occupied by Lewis (who is the only potential suspect on that list).

Reports are out there that Renteria did not report with the Reds on their plane to Philadelphia, and a WLW radio report is saying that Renteria has left the Reds due to being unhappy with his role and that Gomes has been released, which could explain the two roster spots that Maloney and Frazier now occupy. However, there is also a quote by Dusty Baker that Gomes has been reassured that he is a part of the team's plan. Fay also hinted that Renteria could be on bereavement.

However, there has been no official release by the Reds, Fay, Sheldon, or any of the beat writers close to the situation.

I hope this makes sense.

Doesn't make sense only with the fact that the puzzle about Herrara's supposed 40 man spot is still a mystery. That and it's unknown what corresponding pitching move may be made. Where's a cracker jack investigator when you need one?

Thanks so much though for laying out what little we do know.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Where's a cracker jack investigator when you need one?

http://stokereport.com/files/Hardly%20Boys.jpg

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Doesn't make sense only with the fact that the puzzle about Herrara's supposed 40 man spot is still a mystery. That and it's unknown what corresponding pitching move may be made. Where's a cracker jack investigator when you need one?

Thanks so much though for laying out what little we do know.

Teams sometimes clear a 40 spot just because. I've seen it done before. They clear a spot and then a few days later add someone to the 40. I'm pretty sure that's what's being done here with Danny Ray.

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Because of pitching orders and such, I don't think that it would be out of the realm of possibility to see Willis or Reinicke added to the 40 man. They pitched on Saturday and Sunday for AAA, and have been the two most successful starting pitchers down in Louisville.

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
@redreporter Red Reporter
"Unsafe" prediction: Gomes or Lewis DFA, replaced by Frazier. Volquez optioned for Maloney. Renteria part of deal that adds two to 40-man.

http://twitter.com/#!/redreporter/status/72742752751849472

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
@redreporter Red Reporter
"Unsafe" prediction: Gomes or Lewis DFA, replaced by Frazier. Volquez optioned for Maloney. Renteria part of deal that adds two to 40-man.

http://twitter.com/#!/redreporter/status/72742752751849472

Very unsafe, considering Lewis is starting.

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/05/23/latest-on-the-moves/

05-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Teams sometimes clear a 40 spot just because. I've seen it done before. They clear a spot and then a few days later add someone to the 40. I'm pretty sure that's what's being done here with Danny Ray.

Mostly likely Willis coming up to fill a rotation spot.

Here's my guess:

Volquez optioned
Renteria DFA'd or retired or bereavement or whatever

Maloney called up
Frazier called up

In a few days Smith optioned
Willis called up.

LoganBuck
05-23-2011, 03:22 PM

One other possible explanation, and I put this on the wayyyyyyyyy remote category, perhaps they are clearing a spot prior to the draft.

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Also, Todd Frazier and Matt Maloney were called up. The corresponding moves haven't been announced, but an UNRELIABLE source claims that Gomes has been released and Renteria is on the bereavement list. I find it hard to believe that 2 roster spots would be cleared without adding anyone for a call-up. However, Renteria to the bereavement list would make sense due to his attire as he left the team hotel.

MLBTR calling Fay unreliable? Say it ain't so...

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:24 PM
One other possible explanation, and I put this on the wayyyyyyyyy remote category, perhaps they are clearing a spot prior to the draft.

I highly doubt the 27th overall pick gets a big league contract.

camisadelgolf
05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
The Facebook page isn't a very good source. The guy who runs it is a lonely alcoholic that hates his life.

LoganBuck
I highly doubt the 27th overall pick gets a big league contract.

Agree, but a Matt Purke type might.

Homer Bailey

Wasn't it WLW and not Fay that "reported" that?

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Yea, I believe he was talking about WLW.

Yep. And radio show rumors are definitely unreliable.

Plus Plus

I suppose you are right about Gomes being released, but Fay reported Renteria to the bereavement list. WLW reported Renteria being unhappy with his role and leaving the team.

Six of one...

edabbs44
Very unsafe, considering Lewis is starting.

That's awesome.

Benihana
05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
As an aside, when is the last time an Opening Day starter (on a 1st/2nd place team, no less) got sent to the minors before Memorial Day?

Shades of Mike Remlinger.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
That's awesome.

Thank you.

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Willis to DL in AAA, per Lance McAlister's twitter. That likely increases the chance of Reinicke being added to the 40 man in Herrera's spot.

kaldaniels
05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
another piece...

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Also, Chapman is slated to start tonight, not relieve.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:42 PM

They do this with reliever sometimes, starting games. Doesn't mean he'll be a starter per say.

Benihana
05-23-2011, 03:42 PM

:thumbup:

Plus Plus
05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
John Fay
@johnfayman John Fay
Volquez just called into Baker's office. JSmith just came out. #reds

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/72749320683790337

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 03:45 PM

MLBTR called DRH a 5'6" right hander in its initial report of the waiver claim.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
So this means that Maloney will work out of the pen to give a second lefty. Then they'll call up Reinke to take his spot when they need a roster spot. Or send down a position player?

CarolinaRedleg
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
John Fay
@johnfayman John Fay
Volquez just called into Baker's office. JSmith just came out. #reds

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/72749320683790337

The picture's beginning to clear up a little more

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2011, 03:50 PM
The picture's beginning to clear up a little more

I guess the Frazier thing might be nothing more than trying to get a hot bat a few ABs while they don't need an extra starter.

RedsManRick
05-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Me too I'm way higher than most on Janish and there's no way he should be hitting higher than 8th right now. And with the catchers hitting, this really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Benihana
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Bad day for the Hamilton trade-
Herrera released
Volquez demoted
Hamilton gets activated from the DL

CTA513
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm unhappy that Renteria is hitting .228/.356/.253.

:beerme:

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Me too I'm way higher than most on Janish and there's no way he should be hitting higher than 8th right now. And with the catchers hitting, this really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

We all thought you were a little high when discussing PJ this offseason.

;)

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Bad day for the Hamilton trade-
Herrera released
Volquez demoted
Hamilton gets activated from the DL

Consider it the universe balancing itself out after the lopsided Phillips and Arroyo deals worked in the Reds favor.

Benihana
05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Consider it the universe balancing itself out after the lopsided Phillips and Arroyo deals worked in the Reds favor.

Yep. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, Krivsky was 2-1-1 in major trades (I count the Nationals trade as a wash).

So far I would say Jocketty is 2-1. The Griffey-Masset deal and Rolen deal being big wins, and the Dunn trade not working out great (I know Dunn didn't have a ton of value at the time, but we didn't get any value out of the return- again in hindsight).

Big Klu
05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Everyone is forgetting the most important part of all this.

What number is Frazier going to wear?

:)

Frazier wore 70 in Spring Training.

The following numbers (under 50) are available: 2, 9, 17, 21, 39

I'm gonna guess 21, with 17 as my second choice.

The Voice of IH
05-23-2011, 04:04 PM
HELP a BROTHER OUT! WHAT DO WE KNOW SO FAR?

oneupper
05-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Frazier wore 70 in Spring Training. The following numbers (under 50) are available: 2, 9, 17, 21, 39

What number did Tim Hummel use?

dougdirt
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Agree, but a Matt Purke type might.

Sure, but that is also a move that gets made in August, not May.

Caveat Emperor
Frazier wore 70 in Spring Training. The following numbers (under 50) are available: 2, 9, 17, 21, 39

Stick with 70. Stand out from the crowd.

Big Klu
What number did Tim Hummel use?

Tim "Thug Life" Hummel wore 60 during his time with the Reds.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:07 PM

He wore 10 in Double-A and was wearing 50 in Louisville, for what it's worth.

Big Klu
05-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Not in baseball. It would be different if this were high school, and he was a star offensive lineman on the football team. But high numbers carry a negative connotation, especially for position players.

REDREAD
05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Honestly, I am glad the Reds are cutting ties with Herrera.
He was a nice novelty act for a couple weeks, but the league figured him out pretty quick. I'm glad that Walt just confirmed that Herrera was on the bottom of the depth chart.

Hopefully Volquez is sent to AAA too.

If Volquez is out of the rotation, and Willis is hurt, I'd rather see them call up Leake for the rotation more than anyone.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM

This is what I was thinking too. I just assumed he was joking.

Big Klu
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
HELP a BROTHER OUT! WHAT DO WE KNOW SO FAR?

From what I have gathered, Frazier and Maloney are being called up from Louisville, and it appears that Volquez and Smith might be headed to Louisville (both of them had private meetings in Dusty's office at Citizens Bank Park in Philly). Also, Daniel Ray Herrera has apparently been claimed off waivers by the Brewers, freeing a 40-man roster spot for later use.

Homer Bailey
05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Reds recalled IF Todd Frazier and LHP Matt Maloney, optioned to Louisville RHPs Jordan Smith and Edinson Volquez.

@reds

WrongVerb
05-23-2011, 04:15 PM
From what I have gathered, Frazier and Maloney are being called up from Louisville, and it appears that Volquez and Smith might be headed to Louisville (both of them had private meetings in Dusty's office at Citizens Bank Park in Philly). Also, Daniel Ray Herrera has apparently been claimed off waivers by the Brewers, freeing a 40-man roster spot for later use.

And Renertia has been placed on the bereavement list/DFA'd/traded.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
This is what I was thinking too. I just assumed he was joking.

I don't. Sorry, I don't live in Cincy nor listen to the radio.

Homer Bailey
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

That has not been confirmed by anyone reliable.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Frazier wearing #21.

Big Klu
05-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Is that one official? If so, then the Reds are still a man short.

REDREAD
05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
That's great news.. we won't have to see Edinson start for awhile.
I hope he can get himself straightened out, but he was downright miserable to watch :thumbup: to Walt, even though they waited too long to do this.

The Voice of IH

So something maybe up with him? what would be the thinking there? this is pretty crazy.

Seg said something about Johnny Gomes, anything about that?

cinreds21
Is that one official? If so, then the Reds are still a man short.

They could keep it that way until Volquez's spot in the rotation comes around. If he was even put on the bereavement list.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-23-2011, 04:20 PM
And Johnny Gomes lives to flail miserably at more MLB pitching!

Big Klu
05-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Frazier wearing #21.

Called it! :beerme:

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 04:22 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If there was a back-flip emoticon...I'd use it.

Chip R
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Volquez and Smith officially to AAA.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/05/23/11/Reds-option-Volquez-Smith-to-Louisville/landing.html?blockID=527569&feedID=9312

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Called it! :beerme:

Good job sir.

Homer Bailey
05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

If there was a back-flip emoticon...I'd use it.

I wouldn't take anything from it. I'm guessing he's only going an inning or two.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't take anything from it. I'm guessing he's only going an inning or two.

Kill joy. :p

muddie
05-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Justin Lehr has been promoted from Carolina to Louisville.

The Voice of IH
05-23-2011, 04:34 PM

OK,

I thought he was on the DL, this is a joke right?

Homer Bailey
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
OK,

Rehab begins tonight I guess.

Chip R
05-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Justin Lehr has been promoted from Carolina to Louisville.

Good God! He's still around?

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Good God! He's still around?

Yea. He was starting for the Mudcats but went on the DL for a little over a week. When he returned, he was in the bullpen.

Larkin Fan
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
OK,

Players can rehab in the minors while on the DL.

kaldaniels
05-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Teflon Jonny survives.

edabbs44
05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Telfon Jonny survives.

I am relieved. :)

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Just a thought. We know that Walt spent the weekend watching the Bats in Louisville. I'm sure he was checking up on the top prospects to see who was more ready to come up. But....what if he was also looking at the opposition? Durham Bulls (Rays) and Norfolk Tides (Orioles). Contemplating a trade possibly? The reason I say this is because as things stand right now, I'm a bit confused by the moves announced today. Dropping 2 pitchers (3 if you count Hererra) and bringing up a bat and an arm shorts us a pitcher plus they've opened up a 40-man roster spot. The opening up of the 40 man spot made me think they were going to bring up Willis to fill the rotation spot, but he's now heading to the DL so that's out. I can't see them bringing up Reinike when they've already got Leake & LeCure who wouldn't require a 40-man spot. Add to all of this the confusion surrounding the status of Gomes & Renteria...and I smell a trade in the works.

And no...not that Batista fiasco. That's just lunacy.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll see if I can pry anything out of him tonight. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

WVRedsFan
05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
I'll see if I can pry anything out of him tonight. I wouldn't hold my breath though.you have his cell phone number? I mean, and forgive me for aking, if you don't live in cincy, don't listen to radio, etc., what is the deal here?

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Oops...sorry, my mistake. Walt was at Carolina this weekend, not with the Bats (who were on the road). But the basic point still stands. I'm smelling a deal.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
you have his cell phone number? I mean, and forgive me for aking, if you don't live in cincy, don't listen to radio, etc., what is the deal here?

He's where I am right now. Check Sunday's minor league updates.

Sea Ray
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Already? I thought his shoulder was inflamed? They're either rushing him or this whole shoulder thing was bogus

_Sir_Charles_
I'll see if I can pry anything out of him tonight. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Fay? Is that you?

Oops, no...wait. There aren't any typo's there. :O)

WVRedsFan
He's where I am right now. Check Sunday's minor league updates.Gotcha.

Carry on.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Already? I thought his shoulder was inflamed? They're either rushing him or this whole shoulder thing was bogus

Likely the latter. Walt said he wanted Chapman to get his control back.

cinreds21
05-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Fay? Is that you?

I believe I'm more valuable than him.

That's just me, though. :)

oneupper
05-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Fay? Is that you?

typos :D

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
typos :D

Hence the ":O)"

WVRedsFan
05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
This is something that had to be done--the Volquez and smith part. They were putting the Reds in a position of being behind the 8-ball every game they appeared in. Bravo, brain trust. The Renteria thing puzzles me. If he is so unhappy, why has this not come to light before. There's moe to this. And an absolute non-bravo to Walt and dusty, and whoever for not making a move for Gomes. As i posted last night, this is his pattern. A great first year, a second that is pretty good and a third batting on the interstate. This is the third year. Time to cut bait IMHO.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Question. Does Edinson still get his full $1M or whatever he signed for or is it pro-rated for only the time he spends up with the big club.

Sea Ray
05-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Question. Does Edinson still get his full $1M or whatever he signed for or is it pro-rated for only the time he spends up with the big club.

Generally guys with options have split contracts and they don't get the same salary if they're sent to AAA. My guess is his was set up that way

05-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Just a thought. We know that Walt spent the weekend watching the Bats in Louisville. I'm sure he was checking up on the top prospects to see who was more ready to come up. But....what if he was also looking at the opposition? Durham Bulls (Rays) and Norfolk Tides (Orioles). Contemplating a trade possibly? The reason I say this is because as things stand right now, I'm a bit confused by the moves announced today. Dropping 2 pitchers (3 if you count Hererra) and bringing up a bat and an arm shorts us a pitcher plus they've opened up a 40-man roster spot. The opening up of the 40 man spot made me think they were going to bring up Willis to fill the rotation spot, but he's now heading to the DL so that's out. I can't see them bringing up Reinike when they've already got Leake & LeCure who wouldn't require a 40-man spot. Add to all of this the confusion surrounding the status of Gomes & Renteria...and I smell a trade in the works.

And no...not that Batista fiasco. That's just lunacy.

Unless LeCure becomes the 5th starter.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
RT @stevewolf44 and gomes?//Baker talked to him. "That's between me and Jonny. He'll get out of this."

I guess that answers THAT question. Gomes not going anywhere.

jojo
05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
RT @stevewolf44 and gomes?//Baker talked to him. "That's between me and Jonny. He'll get out of this."

Only way is UP!!!!!!

PuffyPig
05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Generally guys with options have split contracts and they don't get the same salary if they're sent to AAA. My guess is his was set up that way

No way Volquez has a split contract. he'll get his full money. Arb eligible players never get split contracts, unless they sign minor league deals.

Griffey had options his whole life. Bruce has options. I can assure you they didn't have split contracts.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-23-2011, 05:25 PM

My question is: What does "get out of this" entail?

I'm sorry, but a few hits here and there isn't going to be close to acceptable. And he can hit all the HRs he wants in games in which the score is already 6-1. But if he can't produce when he needs to (clutch hits), what good is he? I don't need to see anymore from Johnny Gomes to know that he's not going to give us any of what we need from LF.

IslandRed
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM

... For the moment.

We know how this organization works by now. Dusty's going to be in a player's corner right up to the moment the player is gone. Walt, generally ditto. That's part of being a class organization and a player's manager. Pouring gasoline on struggling players and lighting them on fire for our entertainment isn't part of the team culture, and if that means they occasionally have to say things we think sound stupid, so be it.

They don't always get it right on the first try or make changes as quickly as we like, but over the last 3+ seasons, the right thing most often gets done eventually.

jojo
05-23-2011, 05:34 PM
... For the moment.

We know how this organization works by now. Dusty's going to be in a player's corner right up to the moment the player is gone. Walt, generally ditto. That's part of being a class organization and a player's manager. Pouring gasoline on struggling players and lighting them on fire for our entertainment isn't part of the team culture, and if that means they occasionally have to say things we think sound stupid, so be it.

They don't always get it right on the first try or make changes as quickly as we like, but over the last 3+ seasons, the right thing most often gets done eventually.

While frustrating to watch Gomes flail like he did on Saturday while wondering if this is it or is he going to rebound to once again be a limited but marginally useful player as his true skill level suggested coming into the season, it's not a bad thing to know the organization you root for has a heart.

Will M
05-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I am still missing something: why was DRH waived? If its Volquez and Smith to AAA & Maloney and Frazier to Cincinnati then why did the team have to clear a spot on the 40 man roster?

OldXOhio
05-23-2011, 05:36 PM
I am still missing something: why was DRH waived? If its Volquez and Smith to AAA & Maloney and Frazier to Cincinnati then why did the team have to clear a spot on the 40 man roster?

The guess is to add whoever is starting Friday in Atlanta.

Hoosier Red
05-23-2011, 05:40 PM
... For the moment.

Hoosier Red Likes This
:thumbup: