PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Cincinnati

SDakRedsfan
05-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Long time Reds fan and reader of Redszone. I am bringing the family, wife and two boys ages 9 and 5 to Cincinnati for the first time. We have seen the Reds play in Minnesota and Milwaukee (live in South Dakota). Does anyone have any hints for what to see and do around the area and at the ballpark? We are staying three nights and going to Tuesday Yankees/Reds game. Thanks!!

brm7675
05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Long time Reds fan and reader of Redszone. I am bringing the family, wife and two boys ages 9 and 5 to Cincinnati for the first time. We have seen the Reds play in Minnesota and Milwaukee (live in South Dakota). Does anyone have any hints for what to see and do around the area and at the ballpark? We are staying three nights and going to Tuesday Yankees/Reds game. Thanks!!

Where are you staying and how much time do you have?

things to do:

1. On one of the games get there as early as possible and take your time touring the reds hall of fame, it is wonderful.

2. Across from the stadium in KY is a area called the LEVY I believe with shops, theaters, aqurium and such

3. Cincy has a nice zoo from what I have heard

4. There is Coney Island down on the river, nice theme park for kids and not really expensive

PMand JM
05-23-2011, 07:40 PM
We usually park at Newport on the Levee, look around there, aquarium and a lot of shops.then walk the bridge to the Ballpark, crossing the state line and the Ohio River. Very Beautiful, and safe :) Enjoy

SDakRedsfan
05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Covington (looks like the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at). Is that within walking distance? Lady from the hotel said it was.

brm7675
05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Covington (looks like the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at). Is that within walking distance? Lady from the hotel said it was.

not to bad, the levy is just right down from there. Also they offer a riverboat if you want over and back, which might be a neat way to go to the game.

If you like German food you will like Covington, some nice german restaruants in that area.

CrimsonCrusader
05-23-2011, 08:02 PM
If I may take this further...with permission from SDakRedsfan...when at the game...
...what are you wearing?

I don't mean to sound like a bad booty call...just curious.

Most fans, obviously...prefer to wear "spirit attire."

I, myself, usually have my hat (yeah?) and Reds jersey or T-shirt (of course) donned...and my glove is usually nearby.

However, some folk prefer to be more...conservative...and...there's nothing wrong with that. Really. :thumbup:

Jus' askin'. :D

Cincinnatian
05-23-2011, 08:16 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2100/1541146647_29eee64460_m.jpg

This is a great walk to the ballpark. I would suggest walking on the west side of the bridge, because the east side has steps.

AintlifeGrande
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2100/1541146647_29eee64460_m.jpg

This is a great walk to the ballpark. I would suggest walking on the west side of the bridge, because the east side has steps.

The way this Philly series is looking,you might want to jump.:D

SDakRedsfan
05-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Me and the boys will be wearing Reds gear, t-shirts and caps.

Reds
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Zoo, Aquarium, and History Museum are winners for children and adults alike. The Cincinnati Zoo is by far the best I've ever been to, if the kids like animals it's a sure bet they'll have fun there.

Who Dey Time
05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
If you have the time and are willing to fork out the $$$, a Cincinnati trip with kids almost has to include a Kings Island stop.

Cincinnati Zoo is outstanding....my kids love the place

SDakRedsfan
05-24-2011, 04:09 PM
My 9 year old asked about getting autographs, what are our chances?

brm7675
05-24-2011, 04:21 PM
My 9 year old asked about getting autographs, what are our chances?

Tough at best, if you get to the game when gates open you might get some during Bp of the visiting team. After the game if you wait down near where the players leave you might.

Eric from NC
05-24-2011, 09:12 PM
The Fountain Square area is nice place to stop before or after the game. The rock bottom brewery has good food and beer selections, and Graters ice cream is really good as well. Both places are in fountain square. Most of the teams stay at the Westin, which is across from the square. I ended up meeting R. Braun of the Brewers while waiting for an elevator last year. If your kids want Yankees autographs it might be worth at least checking out the lobby on game night before the players leave for the ballpark.The square also has a nice big screen outside. If your in Cinn. but not going to the game on one of the nights, it might be a fun place to see part of the game if the weather is nice, and you are in the downtown area.

BigJohn
05-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with Aquarium at Newport.

http://www.cincymuseum.org/explore_our_sites/union_terminal/

Click on Explore our sites.

The duke Energy Children's Museum would be good for your kids.