PDA

View Full Version : US Gold Cup Roster: Yes that does say Freddy Adu

BuckeyeRed27
05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Looking forward to the tournament since the finals are at the Rose Bowl and I have tickets assuming the US doesn't lay an egg.

Adu and Rogers are the most surprising choices.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Everton, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Tigres, Mexico), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Clarence Goodson (Brondby, Denmark), Eric Lichaj (Leeds, England), Oguchi Onyewu (Twente, Netherlands), Tim Ream (New York), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United, England)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Rizespor, Turkey), Michael Bradley (Aston Villa, England), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (New England), Jermaine Jones (Blackburn, England), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht, Belgium), Robbie Rogers (Columbus)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New York), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor, Turkey), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/05/23/us.goldcup.ap/index.html#ixzz1NDeTaCIB

5TimeWSChamps
05-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Would have loved to see Chad Marshall on there over Bornstein. Bocanegra should be the starting LB in all honesty.

Rogers has been playing alright in Columbus, but his team is just not gelling right now.

Debating going up to Detroit for the game there

BuckeyeRed27
05-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah Bornstein just seems to be a default at this point. Marshall is a bit of an unknown. It's too bad that Chandler isn't playing since that would free up somebody besides Bornstein to move out to LB. I guess his club didn't want him to play and basically blocked Bradley.

5TimeWSChamps
05-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I guess Bradley said Chandler is too fatigued

kaldaniels
05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
For a non-soccer fan, what's the story on Adu. Last I heard he was the next big thing and drafted when he was like 14.

Sorry I'm ignorant on this one.

BuckeyeRed27
05-23-2011, 08:49 PM
For a non-soccer fan, what's the story on Adu. Last I heard he was the next big thing and drafted when he was like 14.

Sorry I'm ignorant on this one.

He started in MLS and had some early success. He has had a lot of trouble catching on in Europe. He was initially brought over by a pretty big Spanish team but the coach was fired very soon after and he was out of favor with the new guy. He is currently on loan from his Greek team with a 2nd division team in Turkey and has played very well. I believe he has 4 goals and 5 assists this season albeit in a not very well thought of division. The hope is he has matured since the US doesn't have a great goal scorer on the roster and he is still only 21.

5TimeWSChamps
06-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Well...Saturday sucked....but Tuesday at 7:30 is the first gold cup match. Would have loved to make it up to Detroit if this were on a weekend but oh well

BuckeyeRed27
06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah that game was brutal. I'm not sure how much you can read into it though other than Spain is really good.

5TimeWSChamps
06-06-2011, 02:34 PM
They played their B-team, we played our B-team.

That game shouldn't have even been scheduled.

Abreyo replaces Feilhaber

BuckeyeRed27
06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
US up 1-0 at half against Canada in their Gold Cup opener. Altidore scored and Donovan assisted. Game is on Fox Soccer Channel for those interested.

improbus
06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
He started in MLS and had some early success. He has had a lot of trouble catching on in Europe. He was initially brought over by a pretty big Spanish team but the coach was fired very soon after and he was out of favor with the new guy. He is currently on loan from his Greek team with a 2nd division team in Turkey and has played very well. I believe he has 4 goals and 5 assists this season albeit in a not very well thought of division. The hope is he has matured since the US doesn't have a great goal scorer on the roster and he is still only 21.
Agreed, but most soccer prodigies seem to start showing that potential by now. I hope for the best for the kid, but I'm not counting on him. I just hope that he can be a lesson for US Soccer and their fans to not falsely raise the expectations on a kid who hasn't actually done anything yet.

BuckeyeRed27
06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
US wins 2-0. Dempsey scored a sweet goal on a Altidore cross and the US really dominated the second half.

The Voice of IH
06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I would have really liked to see Teal Bunbury on the team. I think he is ready for the next step.

BuckeyeRed27
06-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I would have really liked to see Teal Bunbury on the team. I think he is ready for the next step.

I think he'll get there and would be surprised if he wasn't on the World Cup team, but he didn't look too hot last night against Chicago. Maybe he was trying to hard for the big home crowd or something.

The Voice of IH
06-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I think he'll get there and would be surprised if he wasn't on the World Cup team, but he didn't look too hot last night against Chicago. Maybe he was trying to hard for the big home crowd or something.

Either that or his mind is elsewhere. He's still young, has a hopefully prosperous career ahead of him.

OUReds
06-11-2011, 09:12 PM
2-0 Panama at half. Embarrassing.

OUReds
06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
2-1 Panama holds on. Just awful. Plenty of goats, but the defense and Altidore were abysmal today.

BuckeyeRed27
06-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Just an awful loss. No excuse.

reds1869
06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
If we don't absolutely thrash Guadeloupe I'll be disappointed. The Panama result was just horrendous.

OUReds
06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I know there is plenty of time to right the ship, but I am terrified about even qualifying this cycle. There are no forwards worthy of starting on a good team, and the defense is either too old or too young, and probably not that great no matter what their age.

Even in CONCACAF this isn't going to be the shoe in everyone thinks it's going to be this qualifying cycle.

Oh, and coach Bradley, don't even get me started. Maybe when the team starts EVERY SINGLE GAME flat, it isn't the player's fault?

WMR
06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Awesome move extending Bradley another WC cycle. History has shown that works marvelously. :rolleyes:

BuckeyeRed27
06-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Will be interested if he sticks with Ream and Goodsen in the middle.

I think he's going to go with Gooch and slide over Bocenegra and start Bornstein on the outside.

We better win this game by about 5 goals.

Hoosier Red
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Awesome move extending Bradley another WC cycle. History has shown that works marvelously. :rolleyes:

I've been as big of a Bradley supporter as there is, but even I'm getting discouraged by all the flat starts.

5TimeWSChamps
06-13-2011, 05:54 PM
How in the hell did Wondolowski miss? It was harder to miss that shot then it was to put it in

BuckeyeRed27
06-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Wow. That Altidore goal was a rocket.

OUReds
06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
1-0 US at the half. It really should be more like 3-0, but poor finishing from Wondo and Dempsey.

OUReds
06-14-2011, 11:03 PM
1-0 USA wins and advances. They'll play Jamaica the 19th. The score looks ugly, but really this should have been a 4-0 blowout. Dempsey had a nightmarish game finishing, missing at least 5 really good chances on goal. Jones and Cherundolo were the men of the match for the US IMO.

BuckeyeRed27
06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
1-0 USA wins and advances. They'll play Jamaica the 19th. The score looks ugly, but really this should have been a 4-0 blowout. Dempsey had a nightmarish game finishing, missing at least 5 really good chances on goal. Jones and Cherundolo were the men of the match for the US IMO.

I could not believe some of those misses. The Dempsey miss on that beautiful pass from Bedoya was inexcusable and the header he missed in the first half was basically just as bad.

Cherundolo was great as was Altidore and Bedoya off the bench.

The team looked really tired and that is to be expect I suppose, but hopefully they can find their legs again by Sunday.

OUReds
06-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Bedoya is playing like he wants a starting chance. I wouldn't be shocked to see him out wide with Dempsey up top one of these games.

Speaking of Dempsey, I'm just gonna chalk yesterday up as one of those games. He doesn't usually have trouble finishing.

reds1869
06-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice win today. That said, the team looks shaky and will need to crank it up to win this tournament.

Hoosier Red
06-19-2011, 05:13 PM
I thought they played really well. Aside from the "obligatory 10 minute mark leave a man wide open in the box" I though the defense was particularly excellent.

What I didn't realize was how much my disappointment going into a game translates into said player being the best player in the match.
Going into the tournament, I was really starting to talk myself into Jozy Altidore hitting the bench for a few games, boom 2 goals in the first round.

Going into today, I said to myself, "You know Jermaine Jones has had a lot of hype, but he really hasn't played particularly well." Boom, goal, and a huge performance all over the field. Plus he dove like a pro.

So I guess the question is who am I most disappointed now, Bradley? Landycakes? Bocanegra or Goodson?

reds1869
06-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Going into today, I said to myself, "You know Jermaine Jones has had a lot of hype, but he really hasn't played particularly well." Boom, goal, and a huge performance all over the field. Plus he dove like a pro.

When I saw the replay of his Louganis, I said to myself "we will win the World Cup within my lifetime. Our guys finally get it." :lol:

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Starting lineup for tonight's Panama rematch. No Landon again.

GK - Tim Howard
DEF - Eric Lichaj, Carlos Bocanegra, Clarence Goodson, Steve Cherundolo
MID - Clint Dempsey, Sacha Kljestan, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones
FWD - Juan Agudelo

NJReds
06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Landon Donovan comes off the bench and threads a pass to Dempsey to rescue the US ... 1-0 and on to the final and most likely a matchup with Mexico.

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Freddy Adu deserves a ton of credit for his vision and execution on the pass to Donovan.

Not a great game overall but I'll take it. Bring on Mexico!

NJReds
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Freddy Adu deserves a ton of credit for his vision and execution on the pass to Donovan.

Not a great game overall but I'll take it. Bring on Mexico!

Good to see Freddy have an impact on the game. Hopefully it's a sign of great things to come.

Also read that Altidore will not be able to play in the final.

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah he's out 6 weeks.

Will be intereting to see if Bradley starts Adu and Agudelo up top against Mexico.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Bradley w/a nice header off of Adu's cross. 1-0 US in the 9th minute.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Cherundolo injured and out in the 12th minute ... Bornstein in for the US.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Despite the score, Mexico controlling the pace early and it seems like it's only a matter of time before they score.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Donovan! 2-0 US in the 24th minute.

Adu sends it to Dempsey who threads it to Donovan.

Brilliant adjustment by Coach Bradley (shocking!) switching Donovan and Dempsey's positions on the field (moving Dempsey up front and Donovan back in the midfield) ... pays off almost immediately.

Adu has been a factor throughout this game.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Adu just misses after some brilliant footwork.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Barrera scores for Mexico to make it 2-1 US in the 29th minute.

Great game that is shaping up to be a classic.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Mexico ties it 2-2 in the 37th minute. Backline confusion for the US.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Typical Mexico cheap shot ... Adu gets kicked in the face. Typical official response ... they look the other way.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Gave coach Bradley too much credit. After the US went up 2-0, he moved Donovan back up front and Dempsey back to the midfield. Result ... US offense looses momentum and it's now 2-2.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Mexico captain Marquez out with a hamstring strain ... both teams have used one sub for injury in the first half.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 09:51 PM
US dodges a bullet as Mexico nearly scores in the 46th ...

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
2-2 at half ... Mexico got the better of the play and outshot the US 10-4.

OUReds
06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Really the game feels like it should be 3 or 4 to 1 Mexico, but the US still has a puncher's chance. Unfortunately, Mexico is clearly the better team talent-wise right now. The US back line is a sieve.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Really the game feels like it should be 3 or 4 to 1 Mexico, but the US still has a puncher's chance. Unfortunately, Mexico is clearly the better team talent-wise right now. The US back line is a sieve.

Losing Cherundolo hurt them.

OUReds
06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
That didn't take long. 3-2 Mexico.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
3-2 Mexico ... Berrera again. US defenders look lost.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Dempsey rattles the crossbar and nearly ties the game in the 60th.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Agudelo in for Bedoya for the US

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Attendance at tonight's game ... 93,000. About 75% Mexico fans as far as I can tell.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:40 PM
4-2 Mexico and this one looks to be over.

OUReds
06-25-2011, 10:42 PM
The young Mexican players are just so much better then the young Americans. It's not even close. Mexico was better in every facet of the game today.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Should've been 4-3 ... Bradley just missed an open net. Would've been a tough shot, no doubt, but one that you have to make.

NJReds
06-25-2011, 10:44 PM
The young Mexican players are just so much better then the young Americans. It's not even close. Mexico was better in every facet of the game today.

No doubt. Mexico is the class of CONCACAF.

WMR
06-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Mexico might have another "golden generation" on their hands. Typical BB, sadly.

BuckeyeRed27
06-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Ugh

Jonathan freaking Bornstein

WMR
06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Hey Robo Bob coached Bornstein in MLS it's his duty to make sure he has a long National Team career as well. :rolleyes:

Hoosier Red
06-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Robo Bob coached Bornstein in MLS it's his duty to make sure he has a long National Team career as well. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of problems with Bradley, but I really worry about the lack of depth. When you lose Steve Cherundolo, the next best option should not be Jonathan Bornstein, or Spector, or Bocanegra on the Left flank.

BuckeyeRed27
06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Bornstein is done as a national team player but depth is a huge issue. Chandler not playing in the tournament didn't help. Ream should get better and I believe should have come on yesterday.

WMR
06-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Bornstein is done as a national team player." :( Better to blood some youngsters than play guys who you know are below mediocre.

Hoosier Red
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I agree WMR. I'm convinced that Bornstein and Spector are the same player. They've just continued to suck for so long. I was so happy that Lichaj had finally proven himself as a reasonable alternative.

BuckeyeRed27
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I agree WMR. I'm convinced that Bornstein and Spector are the same player. They've just continued to suck for so long. I was so happy that Lichaj had finally proven himself as a reasonable alternative.

That is the big issue now that we didn't win. A lot of time was given to Cherundelo and Bocanegra who probably won't be part of the 2014 team. The back line going forward has to be Lichaj, Ream, Gonzalez and Chandler.

I don't know enough about the U 17 team, but who looks promising there that might help up top or provide some depth?

NJReds
06-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't know enough about the U 17 team, but who looks promising there that might help up top or provide some depth?

Unfortunately, the people making decisions on that level felt that Neven Subotic wasn't good enough to be on the US Under-20 team. So he went to his Serbia, where he starts for the national team. He also started for Borussia Dortmund at age 18 and is a rising star on defense.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/the_bonus/11/06/neven.subotic/neven-subotic-1.jpg

Hoosier Red
06-27-2011, 02:01 PM
That is the big issue now that we didn't win. A lot of time was given to Cherundelo and Bocanegra who probably won't be part of the 2014 team. The back line going forward has to be Lichaj, Ream, Gonzalez and Chandler.

I agree that I'd like to see more youth on the back line. I'm not sure though that Cherundolo won't be around though. He's playing better now than he was 4 years ago.

More than anything, the problem is that guys like Chandler and Ream and Gonzalez haven't proven themselves to be significantly superior to the Bornsteins and Spectors of the world.

They each have potential, they each can (and probably will) be better, but so far only Lichaj has come close to showing on a club and national team level that he can be a difference maker. The other's have looked like fairly pedestrian replacements in my mind.

BuckeyeRed27
06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
I agree that I'd like to see more youth on the back line. I'm not sure though that Cherundolo won't be around though. He's playing better now than he was 4 years ago.

More than anything, the problem is that guys like Chandler and Ream and Gonzalez haven't proven themselves to be significantly superior to the Bornsteins and Spectors of the world.

They each have potential, they each can (and probably will) be better, but so far only Lichaj has come close to showing on a club and national team level that he can be a difference maker. The other's have looked like fairly pedestrian replacements in my mind.

Perhaps, but this would have been a great opportunity to develop them some more and really see what we have. Cherundolo will be 34 or 35 in 2014. Not to say he can't be effective, but he would certainly be bucking the trend so to speak. I think there is a good chance he'll be on the team, but I don't think you want to count on him as a 90 minute starter in every game. Chandler also seems to be a very similar style player on the right side and is obviously much much younger.

There were some positives from the tournament like Jozy, Bedoya and Adu all stepping up and Deuce was basically the man, but I wish I felt better about the team today than I do.

Hoosier Red
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Perhaps, but this would have been a great opportunity to develop them some more and really see what we have. Cherundolo will be 34 or 35 in 2014. Not to say he can't be effective, but he would certainly be bucking the trend so to speak. I think there is a good chance he'll be on the team, but I don't think you want to count on him as a 90 minute starter in every game. Chandler also seems to be a very similar style player on the right side and is obviously much much younger.

There were some positives from the tournament like Jozy, Bedoya and Adu all stepping up and Deuce was basically the man, but I wish I felt better about the team today than I do.

No I agree on all points. The good news is that especially in the first year of qualifying, there will be ample chances to bring in fresh players.

I also thought Goodson was better in the tournament than I expected. It would be great news if you had three "starter quality" guys in the central midfield, and three starter quality guys for the two outside backs. Then even in the case of injury, you're not going to see such a drop. It also allows you to keep a quality guy like Cherundolo on the roster because it's not as important that he go 90 minutes necessarily.

BuckeyeRed27
07-28-2011, 03:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6812931/bob-bradley-dismissed-us-men-soccer-national-team-coach

Bob Bradley has been fired. I guess it depends on who replaces him, but a change was probably a good idea.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
WMR celebrates!

WMR
07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! :party:

Get us a foreign coach with some fresh ideas please. Need to scour our talent pool far and wide. NO MORE FREE RIDES.

WMR
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
WMR celebrates!

:laugh:

WMR
07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I saw a poll on BigSoccer with over 500 votes... almost 85% (when I looked) favored sacking Bradley after Gold Cup.

BuckeyeRed27
07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Grant Wahl is hinting strongly at it being Klinnsman. There is supposed to be an annoucement tomorrow.

IslandRed
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Thoughts:

1. It was probably time for fresh blood.

2. I don't honestly expect it to matter much.

OUReds
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
It's Klinsmann

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6815761/juergen-klinsmann-hired-coach-us-men-soccer-national-team

IslandRed
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
^^^ What OUReds said

Slyder
07-29-2011, 01:16 PM
It's Klinsmann

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6815761/juergen-klinsmann-hired-coach-us-men-soccer-national-team

That is HUGE for US Soccer!

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I have been waiting for this moment for years and years.

SunDeck
07-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Man, that's cool. Klinsman transformed the German soccer program into a machine, feeding the WC squad with talent. I hope US Soccer is going to allow him to do that in the US, too.

WMR
07-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Klinsmann should be given carte blanche to make any changes he deems necessary at ALL levels of U.S. Soccer to create the true program that he envisions.

reds1869
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
JK should have been in charge for a few years now. Thrilled to see this move!

OUReds
07-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately the player pool is the same as it was two days ago, that is to say, not nearly good enough.

WMR
07-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately the player pool is the same as it was two days ago, that is to say, not nearly good enough.

Sort of difficult to say that accurately considering not utilizing the player pool correctly was a major criticism of Bradley.

Also, "not nearly good enough" for what, exactly? To win the World Cup? Duh.

"Good enough" to play and compete with Mexico- YES
"Good enough" to play an interesting style that better utilizes our strenghths?- YES
"Good enough" to actually improve?- YES
None of that was happening under BB. Not to mention he had completely lost the team with his poor decisions. I'm guessing that's what finally did him in... watching the Gold Cup, it was obvious the team has developed some serious rifts.

MWM
07-29-2011, 08:16 PM
I know there are big question marks about Klinsmann's abilities as a coach given his really bad stint managing a club, but I think that's secondary to how much I think he'll revolutionize the overall US soccer program. He's the right guy for what US soccer needs right now.

IslandRed
07-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Sort of difficult to say that accurately considering not utilizing the player pool correctly was a major criticism of Bradley.

I'm sure there are a lot of specific criticisms of Bradley that are valid. There are always things that could be done better. But from the non-hyper-fan, big-picture perspective, we have not been underachieving. Comparing our results in international play against where our talent base actually stacks up (not well IMHO), we've done as well as we deserve to.

I absolutely agree with MWM that Klinsmann's biggest potential impact is in overall national player development. I'm not expecting anything magical to happen with the current age-20+ guys.

OUReds
07-29-2011, 09:56 PM

You're going to have to be more specific then that for me. Who did Bob not play last cycle that would have been significantly better then the team they fielded. I mean, I'm sure Bornstein is finally done thank god, since I doubt Klinsmann is blind. Bob got good results given what he had to work with last cycle.

Also, "not nearly good enough" for what, exactly? To win the World Cup? Duh.

Duh indeed. Not nearly good enough to play competitive soccer with the upper echelon of footballing nations. To be even more specific, I don't mean Spain and Italy, I mean teams in the next tier like Australia, Mexico, Russia.

"Good enough" to play and compete with Mexico- YES

Going forward? Agree to disagree on that one. We might have a puncher's chance at home I guess.

"Good enough" to play an interesting style that better utilizes our strenghths?- YES
"Good enough" to actually improve?- YES
None of that was happening under BB. Not to mention he had completely lost the team with his poor decisions. I'm guessing that's what finally did him in... watching the Gold Cup, it was obvious the team has developed some serious rifts.

It's a good hire obviously. Our chances to qualify are better today then they were yesterday, though despite my earlier post, we were probably going to qualify anyway. There just seem to be unrealistic short term expectations in general from the hire. Even a fine coach like Klinsmann can only polish this crew so much IMO.

I do think/hope the real benefit to this hire is a long term overhaul of US Soccer from the bottom up. We'll see.

WMR
07-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of specific criticisms of Bradley that are valid. There are always things that could be done better. But from the non-hyper-fan, big-picture perspective, we have not been underachieving. Comparing our results in international play against where our talent base actually stacks up (not well IMHO), we've done as well as we deserve to.

I absolutely agree with MWM that Klinsmann's biggest potential impact is in overall national player development. I'm not expecting anything magical to happen with the current age-20+ guys.

You must not have watched the Gold Cup. Train wreck.

WMR
07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
You're going to have to be more specific then that for me. Who did Bob not play last cycle that would have been significantly better then the team they fielded. I mean, I'm sure Bornstein is finally done thank god, since I doubt Klinsmann is blind. Bob got good results given what he had to work with last cycle.

Duh indeed. Not nearly good enough to play competitive soccer with the upper echelon of footballing nations. To be even more specific, I don't mean Spain and Italy, I mean teams in the next tier like Australia, Mexico, Russia.

Going forward? Agree to disagree on that one. We might have a puncher's chance at home I guess.

It's a good hire obviously. Our chances to qualify are better today then they were yesterday, though despite my earlier post, we were probably going to qualify anyway. There just seem to be unrealistic short term expectations in general from the hire. Even a fine coach like Klinsmann can only polish this crew so much IMO.

I do think/hope the real benefit to this hire is a long term overhaul of US Soccer from the bottom up. We'll see.

The United States is more talented top to bottom RIGHT NOW in the Men's player pool than they have ever been before. I think a great tactician can combine with our tireless work rate/cohesion and produce a squad that can play with any team in the world.

We shall certainly get to see now.

If we're lucky Klinsmann will stay on for the next cycle and really leave his imprint on US Soccer.

OUReds
07-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Here's hoping you're right and I'm wrong.

SunDeck
07-30-2011, 07:03 AM
I know there are big question marks about Klinsmann's abilities as a coach given his really bad stint managing a club, but I think that's secondary to how much I think he'll revolutionize the overall US soccer program. He's the right guy for what US soccer needs right now.

Too bad Joachim Loew is signed through 2014.

IslandRed
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
You must not have watched the Gold Cup. Train wreck.

I was talking big-picture view of his tenure, not knee-jerk reaction to the last thing I saw.

Having said that, history will probably show that it was time to make the change. National team coaches seem to have short shelf lives.

Tony Cloninger
07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Man, that's cool. Klinsman transformed the German soccer program into a machine, feeding the WC squad with talent. I hope US Soccer is going to allow him to do that in the US, too.

They should do what Uruguay let Tavarez do there. Control all levels of the soccer infrastructure.

It has culminated after 4 years in 4th Place at 2010 WC, Runner Up in WC U-17 in 2011, and of course the Copa America Champions.

reds1869
07-30-2011, 11:08 AM

The club in question was completely dysfunctional from the top down; it was a losing battle from the start. His successful stint running the German national team interests me much, much more.

SunDeck
07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
The club in question was completely dysfunctional from the top down; it was a losing battle from the start. His successful stint running the German national team interests me much, much more.

+1
The biggest problem with US soccer is that it's not played by kids in playgrounds, but rather by kids who's parents cart them around in minivans. That is severely limiting the skills of US players.
To an extent, I don't think that changes here for a long time, but aligning the goals of youth soccer with those of the national team has to help. More importantly, I believe the people who coach youth levels in the US are for the most part not very knowledgeable about soccer or about developing kids' understanding of the game. I watch organized games and the stuff I hear on the sidelines is atrocious, to the point that it doesn't seem very much better than when I played SAY as a kid thirty years ago. Soccer know how has to be spread throughout the system, and not just limited to traveling teams.

WMR
07-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I was talking big-picture view of his tenure, not knee-jerk reaction to the last thing I saw.

Having said that, history will probably show that it was time to make the change. National team coaches seem to have short shelf lives.

"Knee jerk"? :lol: That's funny stuff.

If you can't tell that this team has been generally moving in the wrong direction since the last WC, I've got to wonder how much USMNT soccer you really watch... Experts and fans alike called extending BB another cycle a horrible decision. Luckily, Sunil only wasted a year, instead of an entire cycle.

And you're actually wrong about national team coaches, at least in the United States. We tend to stick with our coaches, even if they're poor ones (to our general detriment, unfortunately).

IslandRed
07-30-2011, 06:54 PM
"Knee jerk"? :lol: That's funny stuff.

If you can't tell that this team has been generally moving in the wrong direction since the last WC, I've got to wonder how much USMNT soccer you really watch...

And if you still can't tell I'm talking about the entire Bradley tenure, not just the last year, I've got to wonder... :p

I didn't say I disagreed with the change. My point is this -- I think those who assume the last five years' results will be bettered in the next five are probably going to be disappointed. Down the road, different story.

BuckeyeRed27
08-04-2011, 02:15 PM
US just released JK's first roster for next Wednesday's game against Mexico. A lot of MLS and Mexico guys. Probably didn't want to bring back to many guys from Europe with the season about to start.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

WMR
08-11-2011, 03:00 AM
I'm not going to claim complete vindication after only one game, but that 2nd half is an excellent indicator of what the future holds with Klinsmann at the helm.

Astonishing how much our attitude and style of play changed once Bradley and Jones were removed.

Aguduelo is the real deal and Brek Shea was very, very good. Aggressive and strong with the ball, very heady player.

So happy to have Klinsmann. Only wish we'd gotten him sooner.

TheBigLebowski
08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not going to claim complete vindication after only one game, but that 2nd half is an excellent indicator of what the future holds with Klinsmann at the helm.

Astonishing how much our attitude and style of play changed once Bradley and Jones were removed.

Aguduelo is the real deal and Brek Shea was very, very good. Aggressive and strong with the ball, very heady player.

So happy to have Klinsmann. Only wish we'd gotten him sooner.

Hear hear. I agree 100%.

BuckeyeRed27
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Brek Shea usually drives me nuts (mostly because he plays for Dallas), but he was a dude last night. I don't know what the deal with Buddle, Jones, and Bradley was, but they would just not attack. Once Shea, Agudelo and Rogers came on the whole game changed.

Should have been a win. Two fouls in the box and that tackle on the Rogers break away was shameful.

reds1869
08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
The second half was the type of soccer that could actually excite the American public. More please!

NJReds
08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Saw on the ESPN ticker that Adu signed with the Philadelphia MLS team. Hopefully this is the first step to get him back in the fold as a USMNT starter. He's the type of player that can thrive in Klinsmann's system.