PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question about Heisey

UPRedsFan
05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Ok, this is a serious question, not just a complaint

Did anyone hear Dusty address why he started Fred Lewis agains Hamels last night? Why not Heisey? We all know why Gomes was out. But why would you start Lewis against one of the toughest lefties in the league and leave Heisey on the bench? Was he injured? I would think Marty or someone asked that question. Just curious to know Dusty's answer.

KYRedLeg
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
This time, it could be said Gomes and Heisey didn't start for the same reason. Dusty wanted to stack the lineup with as many lefties as possible, because it "takes away Hamels's slider."

Lewis was also 3-6 hitting Hamels, and Dusty is all about the matchups.

swaisuc
05-24-2011, 10:17 AM
I didn't hear Dusty, but here are some reasons.

Lewis was 3-6 vs Hamels
Hamels has reverse splits (tougher against righties for both season and career)
Heisey has reverse splits (much better against righties than lefties for career)

Oh, and Heisey has proven much more productive off the bench than in the starting lineup, but that is an argument for another day. Regardless, I bet Heisey was out for the reasons above and will get his shot to be the primary LF over the next few months.

mu4103
05-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Heisey had better splits against lefties in the minors and is doing well against lefties this year batting .500 with a homer in 6 ABs. Heisey seems to be pressing, but I think Lewis is just another version of Gomes, a retread that isn't going to solve any long term problems. If you give Heisey a chance - then you know what you need to do for the future. Heisey has proven that he is at least capable of producing the same numbers as Lewis - in my opinion.