PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this deal?

brm7675
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
ESPN suggests this deal:

Reds trade C Ryan Hanigan to Rays for P Alex Cobb and C Kelly Shoppach.

The Rays are getting no production from their John Jaso/Shoppach platoon. The Reds' 4.71 ERA from their rotation ranks 14th in the NL. Thus, a perfect trade matchup.

Hanigan is probably the best backup catcher in the majors. He doesn't have much power, but takes a walk and rarely strikes out (he has more walks than strikeouts in his career). More importantly for the Rays, he's signed to a cost-friendly contract of $4 million total through 2013.

Cobb is an underrated pitching prospect who doesn't wow scouts with his stuff, but he gets great results. He throws strikes and led the Southern League with 9.6 Ks per nine innings last season. He had a 1.31 ERA in seven Triple-A starts with a 45/10 SO/BB ratio and made his major league debut on May 1. The Reds can afford to trade Hanigan with two excellent catching prospects in the minors (Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal) and Ramon Hernandez still on the big league roster. Who gets bumped from the rotation? Take your pick. Bronson Arroyo and Edinson Volquez have both been terrible.

Red Rover
05-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't. The Reds need an Ace and a LF, neither of which are in the organization now. Trade from strength to aquire someone for those positions.

The DARK
05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
First of all, Arroyo hasn't been terrible; up until yesterday, he'd been pitching to his usual standards, and that's after battling mono.

There's no point in trading just to make a trade, and this feels like just that. Cobb doesn't seem to bring anything more than BOR material to the table, which we already have plenty of. Throwing Stoppach in is a waste of roster space, when Mesoraco appears to be ready. Meanwhile, Hanigan is an excellent staff manager and part of the glue of the team; other teams will most likely never see the value that he brings.

Bottom line, if we're going to trade Hanigan, we should package him with other prospects to get a real solution to the pitching, SS, or LF problems, not just replacement parts.

brm7675
05-24-2011, 05:13 PM
First of all, Arroyo hasn't been terrible; up until yesterday, he'd been pitching to his usual standards, and that's after battling mono.

There's no point in trading just to make a trade, and this feels like just that. Cobb doesn't seem to bring anything more than BOR material to the table, which we already have plenty of. Throwing Stoppach in is a waste of roster space, when Mesoraco appears to be ready. Meanwhile, Hanigan is an excellent staff manager and part of the glue of the team; other teams will most likely never see the value that he brings.

Bottom line, if we're going to trade Hanigan, we should package him with other prospects to get a real solution to the pitching, SS, or LF problems, not just replacement parts.

I think the author of the article holds the Rays pitcher in higher esteem then you do. I think he sees him as a strong 2/3 guy and that would give the Reds Homer/Cueto then this guy then Wood

BAKER12
05-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Cobb is 24, in his 6th season of professional baseball and his 1st season in 3A
He is pitching incredibly well at Durham (5-0, 1.14 ERA) and would be our 4th or 5th starter now. Would do if it means Cobb is ready, probably could get more for Hanigan if he was shopped properly.

BEETTLEBUG
05-24-2011, 07:57 PM
No

ruREaDy2
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
No, it doesn't solve our need of a legitimate #1 starter or an everyday left-fielder. It also sends away a very serviceable player in Ryan Hanigan. No deal!

brm7675
05-24-2011, 08:13 PM
i am still amazed at how many people don't think either Homer or Cueto are not No. 1 material and how easy it is to just go get one.

davereds24
05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Reds don't need another average starter. Chapman and Leake should be in the rotation next year, there already won't be enough room for some decent arms in the system.

BAKER12
05-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Volquez is always gonna be in the mix because we traded an MVP for him. At this point, I would rather have Sam in the rotation than Volquez. Sam gives you 6 steady innings( 3 or 4 runs) Arroyo numbers and Volquez is all over the place. Teams that win consistently can not afford to have a guy throw 3 innings, 85 pitches and then burn the pen out with early exits. I am in the minority (heck he is on my APBA team as well) but I would be shopping Mr. V and his electric stuff and best bidder gets him.