PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Lineup

lonewolf371
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
One area where I'm actually on the same page with all the Chicken Littles on this board is that the lineup the Reds have had lately is not ideal. Janish doesn't belong in the 2 hole; Phillips doesn't belong at clean-up. What would you like to see change?

Of course, the elephant in the room is probably the clean-up spot. There is no ideal clean-up hitter on the roster. Rolen is probably the closest thing that we have that could split up lefties Jay Bruce and Joey Votto, but he's a little injury prone. Jay Bruce himself wouldn't necessarily protect Votto. Rather, he would probably encourage teams to walk Votto to get himself out with a lefty. Phillips, while he has played great so far, is an average offensive threat over the course of the season, but with the way he's playing in clean-up right now the best decision is probably to leave him there. He hits lefties well and has been pretty good so far this year. I can't argue with Dusty too much on that one.

Janish at 2nd is probably a mistake, though. While staying above the Mendoza line may be good enough to play with his defense, he doesn't deserve to get the second highest number of at bats on the team. His one saving grace is that he's decent at making contact. However, Ramon Hernandez is almost just at good at making contact, plus being a much better offensive player all around. Ryan Hanigan is the best contact hitter on the team. Personally, I'd like to see what our catchers could do in the 2-hole. They'd be great at moving runners over and driving them in. Of course, the big problem is that they're catchers: they don't run the bases as well as Janish. But I think that's a minor concern when looking at the authority and consistency with which they put the ball in play relative to Janish. Right now, two of our best and most consistent hitters are too low in the lineup.

So, I'd probably like to see something like this:

1. Stubbs
2. Hernandez/Hanigan
3. Votto
4. Phillips
5. Bruce
6. Rolen
7. Gomes/Heisey/Lewis
8. Janish

But I'm also interested in what you all think.

brm7675
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
One area where I'm actually on the same page with all the Chicken Littles on this board is that the lineup the Reds have had lately is not ideal. Janish doesn't belong in the 2 hole; Phillips doesn't belong at clean-up. What would you like to see change?

Of course, the elephant in the room is probably the clean-up spot. There is no ideal clean-up hitter on the roster. Rolen is probably the closest thing that we have that could split up lefties Jay Bruce and Joey Votto, but he's a little injury prone. Jay Bruce himself wouldn't necessarily protect Votto. Rather, he would probably encourage teams to walk Votto to get himself out with a lefty. Phillips, while he has played great so far, is an average offensive threat over the course of the season, but with the way he's playing in clean-up right now the best decision is probably to leave him there. He hits lefties well and has been pretty good so far this year. I can't argue with Dusty too much on that one.

Janish at 2nd is probably a mistake, though. While staying above the Mendoza line may be good enough to play with his defense, he doesn't deserve to get the second highest number of at bats on the team. His one saving grace is that he's decent at making contact. However, Ramon Hernandez is almost just at good at making contact, plus being a much better offensive player all around. Ryan Hanigan is the best contact hitter on the team. Personally, I'd like to see what our catchers could do in the 2-hole. They'd be great at moving runners over and driving them in. Of course, the big problem is that they're catchers: they don't run the bases as well as Janish. But I think that's a minor concern when looking at the authority and consistency with which they put the ball in play relative to Janish. Right now, two of our best and most consistent hitters are too low in the lineup.

So, I'd probably like to see something like this:

1. Stubbs
2. Hernandez/Hanigan
3. Votto
4. Phillips
5. Bruce
6. Rolen
7. Gomes/Heisey/Lewis
8. Janish

But I'm also interested in what you all think.

I think Bruce is about a season away from being a good 4 spot hitter. I think Rolen is about 1-2 seasons 'past' being a useable 4th spot hitter. So you are right we are in a bind and that leaves Phillips who doesn't really like it but is the best option. I love the idea of putting our catching tandom 2nd. My only issue is you put "GOMES" in there and he should only PH the rest of the season...