PDA

View Full Version : Tucker Barnhart

redsof72
05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Very impressive player. Best defensive catcher I have seen in a long time. His defense alone is going to get him to the big leagues. He is throwing out about 50 percent, and the 50 percent that he is not getting are often on breaking balls in the dirt when Barnhart doesn't even actually throw the ball (but it still counts against his CS percentage).

As a hitter, bottom part of the order type guy, similar to a Hanigan. Might get better. He has some power that is not showing up in games yet. Average has climbed to just below .300 with an eight game hitting streak, but again, think Hanigan. Hard worker. Smart kid. Leader.

Barnhart was not in the top 30 this year, and Yorman was #5. Barnhart is playing like an all-star.

lollipopcurve
05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Really like Barnhart. He's from close to Cincy, too. If he continues to develop along the same trajectory, he's going to be a very popular Red one day. If they trade Grandal, it may have as much to do with Barnhart being in the organization as it does Mesoraco.

Kinda curious about some of your comments re: Yorman, 72. There have been some unfavorable things written about his behavior/hustle -- can you give us a clear idea of what is going on with him?

redsof72
05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Attitude/effort wise, think Randy Moss.

billy bob
05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Do what? redsof72... are you saying this in a good or bad way?

lollipopcurve
05-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Attitude/effort wise, think Randy Moss.

Thanks. Not good.

redsof72
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
How about jogging after fly balls that should be caught and letting runs score because he is pouting about striking out the last inning? Not once, many times.

If you are the pitcher and that is an earned run on your ERA, how you liking that?

The DARK
05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Speaking of catching prospects, what's gotten into Fleury this year? His stats are looking pretty ugly.

billy bob
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
my bad

billy bob
05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
MY BAD redsof72 i see now you were talking about Yorman

Benihana
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
72, you get to see it up close, so I'll put you on the spot. Call it now- better career: Yorman or Duran?

redsof72
05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
It's so early, hard to say. Guys do grow up (sometimes). What we have seen from Yorman might not be a fair picture. There are scouts I have talked to that like Duran better. It's too early. Hard to really even evaluate Yorman quite honestly. Hard to say what is really there. You do see some athletic ability, good arm, good speed. Very, very spoiled kid at this point. He needs to develop that hunger to get better. He might be getting a rude awakening this season that his talent alone is not enough.

But for people counting on him to be an impact major leaguer some day, you are really, really counting your chickens before they hatch.

You give a kid $2.5 million on his 16th birthday, make sure it's a kid that really wants to work and enjoys playing the game.

Benihana
05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
You give a kid $2.5 million on his 16th birthday, make sure it's a kid that really wants to work and enjoys playing the game.

Problem is, if I recall correctly, he was the first person in the history of his country (and one of the first in the world) to get that much money on his 16th birthday. Hard to really look at a precedent for that kind of thing.

Puffy
05-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Tucker Barnhardt - I really enjoyed when Jon Stewart handed him his lunch on Crossfire!

Benihana
05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Tucker Barnhardt - I really enjoyed when Jon Stewart handed him his lunch on Crossfire!

Carlson?

bellhead
05-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Being 5'8 and a 175 lbs is he a Tony Pena type catcher 72?

redsof72
05-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Size reminds me of Jesse Levis. Sure, you would like to have a bigger guy, but it does not really come into play. Defensively, he has a lightning quick release, strong, accurate arm. Very good at blocking balls in the dirt. Smart, will call a good game.

Offensively, too early to tell. Some think he will be an everyday guy in the bigs. At the least, his defensive skills allow him to fit as a backup. Bat speed is not great, but he holds his own.

Good makeup, should improve.

powersackers
05-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Comparing a teenagers attitude to Randy Moss? I can see why that might be tempting. But Moss was 21 when he was drafted and didn't have attitude problems until well into his pro career. When Yorman is 21 I'd suggest we re-evaluate his attitude. Until then, let the young man grow and learn and be taught. Homer Bailey had attittude problems for a while too. Finally something clicked in his early 20s and we don't see that any longer.

camisadelgolf
05-27-2011, 07:44 AM
When you've spent the majority of your life around people who only want things from you--not that that will change any time soon for someone in Rodriguez' position--that will likely adjust your attitude. I think it's safe to say that most of us won't ever know what it's like to be projected as a superstar and become a millionaire before adulthood. It's a very difficult thing to go through. Heck, being a teenager is hard enough in itself. Like powersackers said, we should probably take it easy before rushing to judgment on the kid.

Puffy
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Comparing a teenagers attitude to Randy Moss? I can see why that might be tempting. But Moss was 21 when he was drafted and didn't have attitude problems until well into his pro career.

Ummmmm, Randy Moss had attitude problems his whole life. Why do you think he attended Marshall and not Notre Dame?? Or Florida State? And why do you think he fell so far in first round. All because of attitude.

And this coming from someone who liked Randy.....

And yes, Benihana, that was Tucker Carlson. It was a joke.