PDA

View Full Version : Win it all NOW or be good for a while?

brm7675
05-25-2011, 04:01 PM
As a fan, would you rather see the Reds go for it this year, make whatever deals need to be made to put us over the top this season and then fall back down in the stack in the coming seasons or...continue to grow with home grown talent and be competitive for the next 3-5 years?

Maker_84
05-25-2011, 04:08 PM
great question, How about i'd like to have a chance to win it all this yr and be good for the next 3-5 seaons?

Vottomatic
05-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I just feel that we have guys in triple A that are 4AAA players. They are reaching the make or break age where you either deal them or play them.

The Reds have holes that need to be filled.

I'm not saying our minor league talent is enough to trade to fill those holes.........but I sure management is trying.

But I don't want to be a 1 year wonder. I want to compete for years to come.

DocRed
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd rather be in contention every year with a "chance" at winning it all.

SidneySlicker
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Does it have to be either or? How many times have the Marlins built it up and torn it down in the last 10 years? 3?

BAKER12
05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Walt and Dusty are not young and probably do not see themselves here for 10 more years. Walt has proven in the past he will roll the dice and go for a quick fix, would not be surprised if the Reds pull the trigger on a biggie.

webbbj
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
i like building the team to win consistently for a long time but having said that there comes a time when its time to go for it all.

I dont think that time is yet.

I dont know how well the reds do this year, they may go .500 they may lose in the 1st rd of the playoffs again but a time will come when everyone is in their prime and this team is ready to make that big move.

Votto will has 3 years left and only going up

bruce looks to be a bonafide 4 hole hitter very soon

they rid of cordero and keep phillips still in there

stubbs in his prime

alonso in LF (possibly)

the young catching core is coming

cueto, bailey, wood and leake, volquez, chapman. I feel confident cueto will be a big part of the future present, and some combination of the other 5 will play a big role as well.

what im saying is the time is coming very soon where the reds will be in prime position to go for it all.

everyone this year wants to make a big move and I say what for? to lose in the LCS? Im just being objective and think this team is not ready to make that big move.

when the reds make that big move i want it to be for the WS. I dont think that time is now. I think they can still go to the playoffs but should not mortgage the future to get there.

B/C I believe w/in the next 1-3 years the reds will have enough already on deck to make that big move to make them the bonafide favorite to win it all and thats when you risk it all to go for it.

I truly believe the time is close for a big move and if we can just be patient a huge payoff will come. I dont wanna trade alonso, volquez, a catcher now for a small payoff (LCS loss) to later find out if we just waited we coulda made that move for a WS.

The Tattler
05-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Walt and Dusty are not young and probably do not see themselves here for 10 more years. Walt has proven in the past he will roll the dice and go for a quick fix, would not be surprised if the Reds pull the trigger on a biggie.

Walt pulled the trigger? Larry Walker and who? For a group of fans who wanna attempt to call the Cardinals your rival you sure do not know much about the history of them or your own GM.

The Cubs are our rival and always will be. Morons such as Baker12 will forget about the Reds as soon as they start to decline which is already happening. The Cubs have not won a World Series in over a hundred years and they still sell out every game. You losers have one of the worst attendances in baseball. Go to a game and then you maybe be considered a rival to someone. You rival the Pirates in attendance. Nobody cares about your team because you can't even be bothered to go to the game.

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Walt pulled the trigger? Larry Walker and who? For a group of fans who wanna attempt to call the Cardinals your rival you sure do not know much about the history of them or your own GM.

The Cubs are our rival and always will be. Morons such as Baker12 will forget about the Reds as soon as they start to decline which is already happening. The Cubs have not won a World Series in over a hundred years and they still sell out every game. You losers have one of the worst attendances in baseball. Go to a game and then you maybe be considered a rival to someone. You rival the Pirates in attendance. Nobody cares about your team because you can't even be bothered to go to the game.

I take it your a Saint Louise fan?
That sweep and the failure last season does eat at you
As for the Cubs being your "rival" at least you have chosen one that you can beat on the field this season
The Reds are hardly in decline, a slump yes, decline, NO
I LOVE DON DENKINGER

10xWSChamps
05-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Walt did gamble a lot with the Cardinals, but I also think that is just an overall organizational philosphy here. The "new" GM has continued to make bullish trades

Walt's first big trade was for Mark McGwire.

Then Larry Walker

Then Jim Edmonds

Then Scott Rolen

He traded away JD Drew and got Adam Wainwright, outstanding deal. But on the other hand, he traded away Dan Haren and got Mark Mulder

Most of these were outstanding trades. But the reason why is because we were able to extend all of these guys once we got them on the team. We have always had the money to be able to trade away youth for veteran talent whom we can then sign to long contracts. Look at the Brewers CC Sabathia trade, doesn't look so good when you lose the player at the end of the season.

So I think that Jocketty will make a 'big' trade IF he has the payroll flexibility to extend that player long term. If not, I don't see him doing it. It was ALWAYS his M.O. to extend the players he traded for very quickly

I take it your a Saint Louise fan?
That sweep and the failure last season does eat at you
As for the Cubs being your "rival" at least you have chosen one that you can beat on the field this season
The Reds are hardly in decline, a slump yes, decline, NO
I LOVE DON DENKINGER

A few things...

First off it's spelled "Louis". Second, I don't think any cards fans like to be swept or liked losing the division last year. And at the risk of sounding pompous, the playoffs aren't exactly a rare thing here. I think we've moved on from the past. I think it's silly when teams put up "divsion champ" banners and fans brag about winning a division. It's not really a huge accomplishment unless you do something about it. We are current 2-4 against the Reds. Not great, but certainly not terrible and we have enough time to turn it around.

will5979
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
And at the risk of sounding pompous, the playoffs aren't exactly a rare thing here. I think we've moved on from the past. I think it's silly when teams put up "divsion champ" banners and fans brag about winning a division. It's not really a huge accomplishment unless you do something about it. We are current 2-4 against the Reds.

Dude, no arguments here, if I'm the GM I use comments like this to motivate me and fire up my team...too bad not everyone takes things personally like I do.

SidneySlicker
05-26-2011, 09:18 AM
As was stated before alot of going for it is in who you bring in. If it's rolling the dice on a rental player ie Reyes then I say no. If it's rolling the dice on someone who you can keep for a few years and is still in his prime ie David Wright or Jose Bautista then I say go for it.

bounty37h
05-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Your mom just rolled over and told me to tell you that you need to get off the computer and go do your homework before she gets home or you will be grounded!

BluegrassRedleg
05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't necessarily think it has to be an either/or situation, but if forced into that choice, I'd say I want to be good consistently over the long haul.

will5979
05-26-2011, 04:22 PM
As was stated before alot of going for it is in who you bring in. If it's rolling the dice on a rental player ie Reyes then I say no. If it's rolling the dice on someone who you can keep for a few years and is still in his prime ie David Wright or Jose Bautista then I say go for it.

I tend to agree with this, even though we have a lot of talent and are 1 or 2 players away from dominating this division I don't see us as a threat to win the Pennant or Series yet.

Old NDN
05-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm gonna be selfish. I want to go for it now. Heck, at my age, I may not have too many more years to enjoy/commiserate with the Reds.lol. Seriously, I don't think the Reds are too many moves from staying in contention. I wouldn't trade the farm, but I would gamble a few good prospects to give it a shot, if that makes sense. The worst that would happen is you lose a few good PROSPECTS, but at least you tried. I think that's what fans are expecting.... an attempt to get better.