PDA

View Full Version : Do the Reds Realize

will5979
05-27-2011, 08:07 AM
They have only won ONE GAME since last Tuesday? This is unheard of with this team, what is it going to take to light a fire under their asses?

Kevin1476
05-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I think It always comes back to pitching, mainly getting some innings from our starters, getting to the 7th inning. Our staff is a mess right now with Bailey possibly out, Volquez in remedial training, and Arroyo having a few bad outings. Until our pitching comes around, lets just face it... their will be no division titles this year. We do not have the depth to overcome the injury bug, especially in the pitching department, not sure any MLB club does?

will5979
05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I think It always comes back to pitching, mainly getting some innings from our starters, getting to the 7th inning. Our staff is a mess right now with Bailey possibly out, Volquez in remedial training, and Arroyo having a few bad outings. Until our pitching comes around, lets just face it... their will be no division titles this year. We do not have the depth to overcome the injury bug, especially in the pitching department, not sure any MLB club does?

I can accept that if this season will be like 1989.

1988 they were close, 89 was suppose to be their year, then in 1990 IT happened!

Well we were close in 2010, I know that 2011 isn't suppose to be our year, but who knows maybe in 2012 IT will happen.

brm7675
05-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I can accept that if this season will be like 1989.

1988 they were close, 89 was suppose to be their year, then in 1990 IT happened!

Well we were close in 2010, I know that 2011 isn't suppose to be our year, but who knows maybe in 2012 IT will happen.

There was an article in some sports page back during ST on how the Rays had a poor season following their WS run of the previous year and then bounced back after the bad season. The article basically said that it was tough for a young team to handle the presure and all and match the previous years performances back to back years. The article looked at the Reds the same way and said they felt that especially with some questions at LF/3rd that the Reds may falter a bit this season but should rebound very well in 2012 and the following seasons. They may be on to something...

Red Rover
05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
The Reds are a mess right now, pitching is poor/injured & the offense has slowed down, but this is very much the same team as last year. Last years team also went through some difficult stretches.

2010 - Apr. 14 thur Apr 24 (2W - 8L)
2010 - Jun. 13 thru Jun 20 (1W - 7L)
2010 - Sept. 3 thru Sept. 9 ( 1W - 6L)

Relax and wait it out a little bit longer, before you make radical changes.

will5979
05-27-2011, 01:49 PM
:beerme:Here's to hoping we pull outta the slump and take 2 outta 3 this coming weekend! I made a bet with a good buddy of mine whom is a Braves fans on the outcome of the series...I hope the series is at least tied on Sunday so we can all get together and have a good time!:beerme:

Kevin1476
05-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Question for anybody about our pitching in the minors...is there any quality starters that are close to the big leagues? I recognize Boxberger, Joseph, Christiani , but they are relievers.

brm7675
05-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Question for anybody about our pitching in the minors...is there any quality starters that are close to the big leagues? I recognize Boxberger, Joseph, Christiani , but they are relievers.

Reds starting pitching is going to have to survive with:

Wood
Cueto
Bronson
Leake
EV
Sam L

add in maybe Chris Reinke, but that is about it.

Kevin1476
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
BRM7675, I understand we have to survive with your listed players, but in general when I look over our minor league pitching ( starters ) I just do not see the help down the line. I know there is a guy similar to Cueto at Dayton, but do you see any help in the future? I thought Cisco and the Highschooler from Florida out of last years draft ( both drafted around same rounds) would at least be throwing at Dayton. Do you know of anyone?

SidneySlicker
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Nope, I think they have no idea. I doubt they ever look at the schedule or the standings for that matter.

Maker_84
05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
You can't get mad for the Reds for not playing hard because they definately have been. The fact is that they are an extremely overrated team with bad pitching and an above average offense. Trust me they know they've played bad and have tried to win some games, they just are lacking the talent in the most important area in all of baseball.

brm7675
05-27-2011, 06:41 PM
You can't get mad for the Reds for not playing hard because they definately have been. The fact is that they are an extremely overrated team with bad pitching and an above average offense. Trust me they know they've played bad and have tried to win some games, they just are lacking the talent in the most important area in all of baseball.

Bad pitching? I think that is a bit much. You have to look at the whole picture. 2 of our major guys started the season on the DL and one of them is back on. 2 others are very young in their careers and will only get better. Our 5th is coming off TJ surgery and that usually takes a season or so to get back into the flow. Our 6th is a good vet who gets the job done. Our bullpen is excellent. So while they ahve struggled which can be expected, I would not lable them as bad.

Exactly how is this team 'overrated"?

What talent are they lacking in the most important area...?

redsfan1995
05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
The Season will Be won or Lost After the Next Home stand if they have a winning Record on their homestand i believe they still have hope. But if they are under 500 on the homestand there will Be changes that Need to Be made or they can Not do anything which basically means hopefully we will Be netter Next year.

brm7675
05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
BRM7675, I understand we have to survive with your listed players, but in general when I look over our minor league pitching ( starters ) I just do not see the help down the line. I know there is a guy similar to Cueto at Dayton, but do you see any help in the future? I thought Cisco and the Highschooler from Florida out of last years draft ( both drafted around same rounds) would at least be throwing at Dayton. Do you know of anyone?

Not off hand but not worrying. Both Leake and Wood have good careers ahead and both are very young. Cueto has 1 type stuff if he can learn to be consistant. Bronson is the vet you need. That leaves EV and Homer. EV has some work to do to return from TJ surgery and homer...well he may just be snake bitten injury wise.

Then there is Chapman, whom if the Reds had done what they should have could by this point be ready to step into the rotation, but since they screwed with him, who knows...but the talent is there...

brm7675
05-27-2011, 06:44 PM
The Season will Be won or Lost After the Next Home stand if they have a winning Record on their homestand i believe they still have hope. But if they are under 500 on the homestand there will Be changes that Need to Be made or they can Not do anything which basically means hopefully we will Be netter Next year.

The season won or lost by early June? Really?

redsfan1995
05-27-2011, 06:55 PM
The season won or lost by early June? Really?

No im Not saying it would Be over but it would Be a hard hole to dig out of if the cardinals keep winning

markymark69
05-27-2011, 07:05 PM
The Reds are a mess right now, pitching is poor/injured & the offense has slowed down, but this is very much the same team as last year. Last years team also went through some difficult stretches.

2010 - Apr. 14 thur Apr 24 (2W - 8L)
2010 - Jun. 13 thru Jun 20 (1W - 7L)
2010 - Sept. 3 thru Sept. 9 ( 1W - 6L)

Relax and wait it out a little bit longer, before you make radical changes.

Red Rover,

Shame on you. Letting facts get in the way of opinions. That's not the way we do things here in Sun Deck. Chicken Little reigns.

lonewolf371
05-28-2011, 05:49 PM
No im Not saying it would Be over but it would Be a hard hole to dig out of if the cardinals keep winning
Fortunately for us the Cardinals won't keep winning. Holliday and Berkman are playing above their heads and their rotation (specifically Lohse, McClellan, and Westbrook) isn't nearly as good as it has played. As these guys come around the league the second time they will fare much worse.