PDA

View Full Version : Interesting scenario for Valiquette

redsof72
05-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Speculation is that the Reds will put Valiquette on the 60-day D.L. to open a spot on the 40-man. They could have done that all along, but to do so means putting him on the big league roster, meaning his pro-rated salary jumps to the big league minimum, plus I think he gets big league meal money when the Reds go on the road. So he now will be based on a $450,000 (is that the minimum?) salary instead of what he was making, plus get the $90/day meal money.

Imagine what he's thinking today.

05-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Speculation is that the Reds will put Valiquette on the 60-day D.L. to open a spot on the 40-man. They could have done that all along, but to do so means putting him on the big league roster, meaning his pro-rated salary jumps to the big league minimum, plus I think he gets big league meal money when the Reds go on the road. So he now will be based on a $450,000 (is that the minimum?) salary instead of what he was making, plus get the $90/day meal money.

Imagine what he's thinking today.

Surf and turf?

camisadelgolf
05-28-2011, 02:08 PM
The minimum MLB salary is $414,000.

lollipopcurve
05-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Not sure I'd do that if I were the Reds. Valiquette throws hard, but he's got no secondary stuff at all, so far as I can decipher. His track record is exceedingly mediocre too. Now with the injury, he's even more of a question mark.

Danny Serafini
05-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Not sure I'd do that if I were the Reds. Valiquette throws hard, but he's got no secondary stuff at all, so far as I can decipher. His track record is exceedingly mediocre too. Now with the injury, he's even more of a question mark.

If he was healthy I'd be perfectly content to DFA him, since I think he's been a waste of a 40 man spot. But they can't do that since he's hurt, so transferring him to the 60 day DL is the next best way to open up a 40 man spot. It'll cost a little more, but not enough to cause a problem.

redsof72
05-28-2011, 06:18 PM
They have resisted the move due to the cost but they really don't have much of a choice now. Valiquette will be one of the highest paid players in the International League without playing.

redsof72
05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
And yes, my understanding is that an injured player could not be designated for assignment. In the NFL, they would reach an "injury settlement" but in baseball, it is different.

Recent similar example was Terrell Young, who got a full season of big league pay and meal money without putting on a uniform.

The DARK
05-28-2011, 06:55 PM
If Val actually were to get DFA, does anyone here think he'd clear waivers? DRH didn't, but he had major league experience.

RiverRat13
05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Surf and turf?

:thumbup:

dougdirt
05-29-2011, 01:19 AM
If Val actually were to get DFA, does anyone here think he'd clear waivers? DRH didn't, but he had major league experience.

Lefty that has hit 100 MPH.... yeah, someone would snatch him up in a second. Even without a good secondary pitch (or at least a consistently solid one), I just can't imagine a left hander with his arm would make it through waivers.

cinreds21
05-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Lefty that has hit 100 MPH.... yeah, someone would snatch him up in a second. Even without a good secondary pitch (or at least a consistently solid one), I just can't imagine a left hander with his arm would make it through waivers.

No doubt he'd get claimed. With what you said AND he has an option year left next year.

HokieRed
05-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Would a DFA for Daryl Thompson solve the problem? If so, I think that's a choice we might see.

cinreds21
05-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Ehhh I think DFA Cochran makes more sense than DT