PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Liriano

Vottomatic
05-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Anyone interested in this guy?

ESPN has a proposed trade idea of the Reds sending Hanigan/Janish to the Twins and maybe throwing in Frazier if it takes that much to get the deal done.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/11618/add-an-ace-to-the-reds-recipe

Liriano has an e.r.a. over 5.00 this year. But hitters are only hitting .212 against him. Seems to have problems of walking alot of guys. Only making $4.3M this year.

Suggest giving them Hanigan to get Joe Mauer out from behind the plate to stay healthy. They also need an actual SS.

Liriano is a 28 year old lefty.

ezluke
05-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Anyone interested in this guy?

ESPN has a proposed trade idea of the Reds sending Hanigan/Janish to the Twins and maybe throwing in Frazier if it takes that much to get the deal done.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/11618/add-an-ace-to-the-reds-recipe

Liriano has an e.r.a. over 5.00 this year. But hitters are only hitting .212 against him. Seems to have problems of walking alot of guys. Only making $4.3M this year.

Suggest giving them Hanigan to get Joe Mauer out from behind the plate to stay healthy. They also need an actual SS.

Liriano is a 28 year old lefty.

Don't we already have him? He's wearing a crooked hat over a do-rag, and playing for Louisville. I actually wouldn't mind that trade there are a couple dozen pitchers I would rather have, but I wouldn't give up Frazier. Let Frazier build up his trade value, and prove last year was a just a bump in the road.

davereds24
05-28-2011, 07:44 PM
pretty sure it would take more than Hanigan/Janish. Maybe Grandal/Frazier

Seņor Rojo
05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
If the Reds do make a trade, it needs to be a starting pitcher that give give them 7+ innings a game consistently. I don't see Liriano being that guy, he's too inconsistent. Despite his lack of offensive prowress, I would be hesitant to give up Janish simply because that leaves Renteria and Frazier, who has had one MLB at bat. Rolen will not be able to play consistently for the rest of the season, so Cairo/Janish/Francisco will need to cover for him at 3rd.

lonewolf371
05-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't like touching damaged goods, and from the velocity on his fastball this season, he definitely looks like damaged goods.

BEETTLEBUG
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Yes I do this trade bring it on.

Krawhitham
05-29-2011, 12:52 AM
He really would fit right in, he missed his start today due to inflammation in his left shoulder

joshua
05-29-2011, 04:02 AM
We need to bust the wallet open and grab an ace. We need that Hallaway/Lincecum type pitcher that's going to go out, dominate and give our bullpen a rest nearly every time out. The problem is that we can't afford them. Sure we can afford to give up one of our two catchers and bring up Mes...but I wouldn't do it for Liriano. I'd want something more.

It bugs me that starting pitching depth was our strength coming into the season...and it's always "one more year" for way too many of these guys. The only solid starters we have up here now are Wood and Cueto. You think ONE of the 12 guys we have would've reached their potential by now. By the time two or three of them do, they'll either be on other staffs or our offensive weapons will be free agents.

We also need to address SS and LF badly. Very badly. It bugs me that Cozart, Sappelt etc. are slugging away in the minors and we're still sticking with these clowns we have up here and it's worth giving them a shot. Might as well give someone a chance...without wasting an option moving them immediately back down to Louisville.

There's been some awful mistakes that can solely be blamed on Dusty. Not bringing in another pitcher during that 19 inning marathon game of baseball and basically conceding a L to the Phillies was a huge mistake. When you've gone that long and wore your entire pitching staff out, you HAVE to come out of that with a win to make it worth it. Instead we were the laughing stock of baseball for a day and left our entire staff worn.

BAKER12
05-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Why would they want Janish? Geez remember all the people moaning about O Cab starting over Janish last year? Would take O cab back in a hearbeat.

Seņor Rojo
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
We need to bust the wallet open and grab an ace. We need that Hallaway/Lincecum type pitcher that's going to go out, dominate and give our bullpen a rest nearly every time out. The problem is that we can't afford them. Sure we can afford to give up one of our two catchers and bring up Mes...but I wouldn't do it for Liriano. I'd want something more.

It bugs me that starting pitching depth was our strength coming into the season...and it's always "one more year" for way too many of these guys. The only solid starters we have up here now are Wood and Cueto. You think ONE of the 12 guys we have would've reached their potential by now. By the time two or three of them do, they'll either be on other staffs or our offensive weapons will be free agents.

The Reds' "pitching depth" is a bit misleading. Yes, the club has 7 starters by my count, but none of them are ace material. Yes, Cueto, Bailey, and even Volquez have shown flashes, but they have not been consistent. What the front office needs to do is pick 4 guys out of those 7 and say "these are our starters." The 5th starter needs to be the ace and come from a trade.

The issue with the "pitching depth" theory is that people think the rotation will pan out. I don't think this will happen and a reshuffling of the rotation would energize it. Arroyo is the veteran of the group, but he doesn't seem to exude leadership. He's an excellent 3rd starter, but he's not going to help out the younger guys in the rotation.

Offense is not the issue. We should look to trade for a bona fide starter that can give us 7+ innings consistently.

ntorvik
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
It's going to be difficult come trade deadline because Jocketty is going to have to pick between a big time shortstop or a big time pitcher, because I imagine we would have enough cards to trade to get both. I would personally prefer to get the shortstop, because I think our pitching will level out here soon, but I can see why people would think otherwise. I'm just over Janish.

jwmann2
05-30-2011, 04:32 PM
You can't really trade for these "Aces". You've got to pick them up via free agency. A lot of people didn't think we had a shot at Aroldis Chapman, but we snuck in and stole him from the huge market teams.

brm7675
05-30-2011, 04:34 PM
A) No i want no part of this Twins deal
B) I really don't see Walt making any kind of "big time" deal this year.

BluegrassRedleg
05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Don't we already have him? He's wearing a crooked hat over a do-rag, and playing for Louisville. I actually wouldn't mind that trade there are a couple dozen pitchers I would rather have, but I wouldn't give up Frazier. Let Frazier build up his trade value, and prove last year was a just a bump in the road.

That was my first thought as well. :p

But he young with a live arm, and if that's all it would take to get him, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Something tells me it would take considerably more, though.

BluegrassRedleg
05-30-2011, 06:29 PM
The Reds' "pitching depth" is a bit misleading. Yes, the club has 7 starters by my count, but none of them are ace material. Yes, Cueto, Bailey, and even Volquez have shown flashes, but they have not been consistent. What the front office needs to do is pick 4 guys out of those 7 and say "these are our starters." The 5th starter needs to be the ace and come from a trade.

It's definitely an interesting situation. When you're looking at the entire rotation, it is deep. But as you say, they don't have the hammers at the top. Most of the other contenders have a guy or two (or three, in the Phillies' case) who could be the ace. The Reds don't have one. Several potential 2s, borderline 3s.

texasdave
05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
After a handful of starts one would have to say Cueto is pitching like an ace. Does he continue? Stay tuned.

OGB
05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I've been saying this for over a year, but I want Josh Johnson.

Now we only need the Marlins to start playing like crap for the next month and a half so they'd actually have some reason to want to move the guy.:)

That said, I'd take a flyer on Liriano if they could work out a deal like the one ESPN mentioned. With Grandal and Mesoraco knocking on the door, I'm almost looking for an excuse to trade a catcher, even though I like Ryan and Ramon.

redsfan1995
05-30-2011, 07:51 PM
liriano just got placed on the dl for shoulder inflamattion

Fullboat
05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
You can't really trade for these "Aces". You've got to pick them up via free agency. A lot of people didn't think we had a shot at Aroldis Chapman, but we snuck in and stole him from the huge market teams.

Or did they say thanks but no thanks.:(

Seņor Rojo
05-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's an article that is a little dated, but it makes some good points: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/615827-mlb-trade-rumors-10-players-likely-to-be-traded-before-julys-deadline/page/4

Paul Maholm is one of the guys Jocketty should be looking at. He's making 6.25 million this season, which is very reasonable considering his stats thus far.

3.18 ERA
48 Ks
1.17 WHIP
Only 2 wins, but I think his other stats makes up for that
Can pitch 180+ innings a season

Obviously, other teams are going to try and shop for him and it doesn't help that the Pirates are in the same division as the Reds. However, the Pirates are never reluctant to trade away their talented players. Many people didn't think we had a chance to sign Chapman, so I wouldn't count us out of any trade.

davereds24
05-30-2011, 11:43 PM
he's of to a great start, but there isn't much in his past to show he's much of an upgrade over guys like LeCure, Maloney, etc. Put him in GABP and I think he'd struggle.

Seņor Rojo
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
he's of to a great start, but there isn't much in his past to show he's much of an upgrade over guys like LeCure, Maloney, etc. Put him in GABP and I think he'd struggle.

Here are Maholm's stats from his two starts in GABP last season:

7.0IP 6H 3R 3ER 0HR 3BB 8K L

7.0IP 6H 0R 0ER 0HR 2BB 2K W

I'm not saying that this would carry over to every start in GABP, but they certainly are quality numbers.