PDA

View Full Version : Staring at the Abyss

malcontent
05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Looking at who/what the Reds are facing in the coming days...I see the Cardinals and Brewers pulling away.

Rotation is in shambles, offensive black holes not addressed.

Baker the manager. Enough said.

:(

Maker_84
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
couldn't agree more, this team just doesn't have it. Not until Walt makes some serious moves will they even be a contender for the playoffs. Sad to say because this team was supposed to compete for a WS and wont make the playoffs or even come close at this pace

BAKER12
05-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Looking at who/what the Reds are facing in the coming days...I see the Cardinals and Brewers pulling away.

1. Cards and Brewers are not the '27 Yankees
2. Health, patience and a few additions needed
3. Multiple times Dusty has been Manager Of The Year, his teams play hard and
they never give up.

VottoFan54
05-28-2011, 11:52 PM
they never give up.

1. They sure seem like it.
2. No, we NEED a blockbuster trade
3. Dusty is a horrible manager

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, why panic, remember last year when the Reds were swept by the Seattle Mariners! and yet the Reds still managed to win the NL Central. You guys act like the Reds are the only team in MLB that has bad stretches, every other team will have their losing streaks, injuries, and bad losses, the Reds will be fine.

Krawhitham
05-28-2011, 11:54 PM

What black holes?

LF & SS?

They were 5-10 today

:p

texasdave
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Telling quote from Dusty:
“He didn’t deserve it,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “But he was willing to. We’re a little beat up right now. That 19-inning game . . . we’re seeing the effect of that.”

Oh you mean that 19-inning game that the Reds win in 11 if a certain second baseman has a clue? Just Brandon being Brandon, right? LOL.

tkemmerer14
05-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Telling quote from Dusty:

Oh you mean that 19-inning game that the Reds win in 11 if a certain second baseman has a clue? Just Brandon being Brandon, right? LOL.

He's won us a hell of a lot more games than he's lost us. If you're gonna complain about without question the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball then just shut off your computer and don't log back on

malcontent
05-29-2011, 02:25 AM
He's won us a hell of a lot more games than he's lost us. If you're gonna complain about without question the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball then just shut off your computer and don't log back on
Nobody is questioning Phillip's talent, or effort.

It's the between-the-ears issues that some of us have a problem with.

For example, Phillips is the one player that complained about the attention Josh Hamilton was getting when he was here.

Nathan
05-29-2011, 05:36 AM
BLAH BLAH BLAH We've heard it all before... A few losses and they are headed for a firesale. But, by golly, win a few games, World Series Champs!!!!!!!!!!!

Sit back and enjoy the ride, you don't know what the outcome is yet. If you want to complain, it's not too late to jump off the bandwagon, but, you're not allowed enjoy it when there IS a prize at the end.

texasdave
05-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Probably the stupidest rationalization in sports today.

Magdal
05-29-2011, 08:12 AM
I can't address the Brewers cause I don't know much about them this year. But on the Cards: While Cincy has been playing the toughest teams around, the Cards have been enjoying playing the worst.

I do agree that Walt needs to get off his butt and makes some moves. Baker would be a good start.

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 08:19 AM
I can't address the Brewers cause I don't know much about them this year. But on the Cards: While Cincy has been playing the toughest teams around, the Cards have been enjoying playing the worst.

I do agree that Walt needs to get off his butt and makes some moves. Baker would be a good start.

Where do they start? What do you fix?

1. Starting pitching? The hardest to acquire and most expensive to fix. Do they wait for Volquez to come around and the others (Bailey, Arroyo, Maloney, Lecure) to get healthy, while using that reknowned depth in the system to get by?

2. Hitting? Clutch hitting was there most of last season. It has been slim to none this season. Votto has zero protection in the lineup. Bruce comes and goes but has been mostly lousy with RISP. Neither Gomes, Heisey or Lewis have really stepped up to secure LF. Stubbs striking out at another record pace. Janish not really making anyone scream to make him the everyday starter.........good D, boring bat. Renteria is like a better hitting OCab, but that's it. This team has no legit 4-hole hitter. None.

3. Small market and payroll is at it's highest at $80M. I don't think management is willing to take on anymore salaries. Sorry. Don't see it happening.

Magdal
05-29-2011, 08:45 AM
That's a pretty grim picture you paint Votto. I would think that after last years success that 80 mil lid could be raised.

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 09:02 AM
That's a pretty grim picture you paint Votto. I would think that after last years success that 80 mil lid could be raised.

From a weather standpoint, you have to wonder how much higher the Reds attendance might be this year if not for the unusual amount of rain we've had. Aren't we like 13 to 15" inches ahead of the norm in terms of rain?

DocRed
05-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Dusty is captaining the Titanic into the abyss....

skywalker
05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
they never give up.

:):):) +1

DocRed
05-29-2011, 11:53 AM
they never give up.

Baker has never won a manager of the year without Roidzilla...

Roush's socks
05-29-2011, 12:47 PM
It isn't Dusty's fault that the starting pitching has been mediocre. They had a good staff heading into the season with depth, but it just hasn't worked out so far.

The hitting is NOT the problem. You can always look at a few games and say "if we only got a clutch hit we would have won." But for the most part the Reds are scoring 4+ runs in the vast majority of their games. They are a .500 team because the starting pitching has given up a lot of runs and nearly always put them behind after the first 3-4 innings.

As far as trading for a TOR pitcher, good luck. They are few and far between and a lot of them don't want to pitch in a small market like Cincy anyway. I'm sure if Walt had the opportunity to trade Alonso and whoever for a proven starter he would do it.

Magdal
05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
From a weather standpoint, you have to wonder how much higher the Reds attendance might be this year if not for the unusual amount of rain we've had. Aren't we like 13 to 15" inches ahead of the norm in terms of rain?

The rain has hit most of the country hard..much flooding where I live. The Cards are about 10K less per game this year. I know I won't go to a rainy day game.

bshall2105
05-29-2011, 06:14 PM

He was one vote away last year so Barry Bonds isn't responsible for all of his success.

JayStubbs
05-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Every team has losing streaks and every team has injuries. The good ones overcome them. The Reds have the talent to overcome the injuries and get back on track.

tkemmerer14
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Probably the stupidest rationalization in sports today.

Good call.... you don't want players that win you a lot of games on your roster

BAKER12
05-29-2011, 10:59 PM

Totally stupid point, was Bonds on the juice in '93? NO
Were other guys juicing when Bonds was in lates 90's and early 2000's?YES

The haters will hate
Reds could go 162-0 and the Baker Bashers would gripe

DocRed
05-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Totally stupid point, was Bonds on the juice in '93? NO
Were other guys juicing when Bonds was in lates 90's and early 2000's?YES

The haters will hate
Reds could go 162-0 and the Baker Bashers would gripe

Thanks Dusty....glad to see you have to time to post on this site.

BAKER12
05-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks Dusty....glad to see you have to time to post on this site.

No problem Mr. LaRussa

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Watching the Reds play right now is like staring into the abyss.

Dusty must be staring into the abyss with some of his decision making lately.

kfm
05-29-2011, 11:24 PM
To me watching this team it seems like when they hit they don't pitch, when they pitch they don't hit. Incredibly consistent with their inconsistency. Last year they seemed to get the big hit and get the big out, and this year to this point they are not. They are getting very little from left, third and short. The centerfielder seems more like a guy who is a dangerous bat at the bottom of the order than a top of the order guy. Hopefully Sappelt will be back soon and gets going in AAA, and then they can bring him up to solve the left field and leadoff problems. Has anyone else lost all faith in Scott Rolen, he just looks old and slow. He cannot consistently catch up with his favorite pitch, the high fastball and he cannot lay off of it either. Is it time for Frazier or Francisco at third? Would love to seem them trade for Jose Reyes but if they haver to sell the farm and cannot get him for more than the end of the season at this point, I don't think i would do it.
I think this lineup would get them going.
1.Reyes
2. Sappelt
3. Votto
4. Phillips/Bruce
5. Bruce/Phillips
6. Stubbs
7. Frazier/Rolen
8. Hanigan/Hernandez

BAKER12
05-29-2011, 11:29 PM
We get Reyes, we win the Central, it would ignite the whole team, he is that good.

What would you give up?

Jefferson24
05-29-2011, 11:30 PM
I predicted 81 and 81 before the season started, I stand by it. I also said it was because of a lack of quality starting pitching, I stand by that too.

Make a trade because this season is going nowhere otherwise.

kfm
05-29-2011, 11:39 PM
We get Reyes, we win the Central, it would ignite the whole team, he is that good.

What would you give up?

I don't know that much about the Mets farm system or their team. I am assuming they would want a shorstop back so they could have their pick of Cozart/Janish, Grandal (PTBNL), Frazier/Francisco and one of the most overlooked hitters in our minor leagues Dorn. I don't know if that gets it done or not. They may want pitching too, but our best pitching prospects our are not in AAA. Anyone have a better sense of what it would take to get this done. I would like a window to try to get an extension done also.

Who Dey Time
05-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know that much about the Mets farm system or their team. I am assuming they would want a shorstop back so they could have their pick of Cozart/Janish, Grandal (PTBNL), Frazier/Francisco and one of the most overlooked hitters in our minor leagues Dorn. I don't know if that gets it done or not. They may want pitching too, but our best pitching prospects our are not in AAA. Anyone have a better sense of what it would take to get this done. I would like a window to try to get an extension done also.

1) IMO, it would take, at minimum, Frazier or Hamilton, Bailey or Wood, and another top prospect. A lot to ask for what could be a two month rental.

2) There would be about a 99.9% chance that Reyes does not sign with the Reds long term. Way too much money will more than likely be offered elsewhere.

Reyes is a quick fix in 2011 but more than likely hurts the Reds in the long term.

kfm
05-29-2011, 11:58 PM
1) IMO, it would take, at minimum, Frazier or Hamilton, Bailey or Wood, and another top prospect. A lot to ask for what could be a two month rental.

2) There would be about a 99.9% chance that Reyes does not sign with the Reds long term. Way too much money will more than likely be offered elsewhere.

Reyes is a quick fix in 2011 but more than likely hurts the Reds in the long term.

So you don't think that Cozart, Frazier, Grandall and Dorn get it done. Those are four major league ready prospects and two first round draft picks. I am just asking because I just don't know. If it would take Bailey or Wood there is no way that I would do it, just bring up cozart and sappelt and frazier, it can't get any worse.

Who Dey Time
05-30-2011, 12:05 AM
So you don't think that Cozart, Frazier, Grandall and Dorn get it done. Those are four major league ready prospects and two first round draft picks. I am just asking because I just don't know. If it would take Bailey or Wood there is no way that I would do it, just bring up cozart and sappelt and frazier, it can't get any worse.

Any significant trade that involves the Reds will more than likely include a pitcher. Or, at the very least, it is one of the first things the other team will want.

Magdal
05-30-2011, 01:03 AM
ALL the managers are culpible from the '90s when they knew and encouraged their players to dope up. Dusty is no exeption. La Russa was the worst of the bunch. To this day he won't admit what every trainer and club house boy knew....his players were jabbing each other in the ass with roids.

McGuire is hired to be the hitting coach and up until the day he took the field he and Tony still maintained that there was no roid use by him. THEN he admits that he was a roider, but just to keep himself from being a " Walking MASH unit".....and still TRL says that he did not know. LOL....mcGwire took the job and never revealed to Tony that he was coming out with a confession?

Insane....I put LaRussa in the same catagory as Pete Rose (after his player career) 2 ignorant guys trying to succeed at any price. Rose was unlucky that his profile was still large when he was exposed....Tony has the luxury of ESPN ignoring the obvious about the creep to keep promoting him as some kind of decent baseball man. The losingest Maneger in history is going into the hall of Fame. But that's OK too.....anybody can get in there now.

texasdave
05-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Good call.... you don't want players that win you a lot of games on your roster

NM.