PDA

View Full Version : So What happened with Cisco?

JaxRed
05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Redsof72 said he is done till 2012 so I assume it is some kind of arm surgery. Anyone know?

Kevin1476
05-29-2011, 07:59 PM
That Stinks! I did not know he had any injury, I just assumed he was assigned to GoodYear. I was looking forward to seeing how he would do this year. I also was looking forward to see how John Mugarian is doing? Anyone have Info on Him?

Plus Plus
05-30-2011, 03:11 AM
For what it's worth, there is an article online dated April 24th, 2011 that says Drew Cisco is working in extended spring training. Something may have happened since then though.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
From John Fay:

Drew Cisco, the #Reds' 6th-round last year, had Tommy John the other day. Galen Cisco's grandson. Signed for $975,000

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

kaldaniels
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
From John Fay:

Drew Cisco, the #Reds' 6th-round last year, had Tommy John the other day. Galen Cisco's grandson. Signed for $975,000

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Is 975,000 the norm for 6th rounders, or was that what it took to pry him away from higher education? :confused:

dougdirt
06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Is 975,000 the norm for 6th rounders, or was that what it took to pry him away from higher education? :confused:

That is what it took to pry him away from college. Normal 6th round money is maybe $125,000 or so. He got supplemental first round type of money.

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Sucks, I know a lot of people had high hopes for him.

billy bob
06-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Where is Correa is he even with the Reds organization anymore?

dougdirt
06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Where is Correa is he even with the Reds organization anymore?

There are some rumors out there on him that aren't good. I am not going to say anything more than that though until something gets confirmed.

edabbs44
06-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Sucks, I know a lot of people had high hopes for him.

TJ isn't the kiss anymore, he's still young.

billy bob
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I understand dougdirt... i too have heard some sad news on him.

JayBruceFan
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Why the secrecy? It's not like we are talking about nuclear launch codes here.

bellhead
06-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Nope just jason...

cinreds21
06-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Did he get popped again?

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
TJ isn't the kiss anymore, he's still young.

True, but it's valuable development time lost, and from what I remember of Cisco's scouting reports, it didn't sound like he could stand to lose much in the way of velocity and remain a legit prospect.

dougdirt
06-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Because I am not out here trying to spread rumors of this magnitude that may not be true. It would be one thing if it was "oh, he might have hurt himself", but that isn't the case here.

Superdude
06-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Because I am not out here trying to spread rumors of this magnitude that may not be true. It would be one thing if it was "oh, he might have hurt himself", but that isn't the case here.

Is it something that will end his career? Had high hopes for that guy

Grande Donkey
06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Legal problems of some kind?

JayBruceFan
06-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that it has something to do with his age

reds44
06-03-2011, 03:53 AM
True, but it's valuable development time lost, and from what I remember of Cisco's scouting reports, it didn't sound like he could stand to lose much in the way of velocity and remain a legit prospect.
Most people come back throwing harder after TJ.

Volquez did. Granted he had some HGH too.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2011, 04:24 AM

I personally think it's lame as well. Why say anything at all if you're not going to share?

The simple solution is saying, "I don't know if it's true, this is purely a rumor, but..."

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Has Correa been suspended for PED's at some point in his career? Just curious...

edabbs44
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Has Correa been suspended for PED's at some point in his career? Just curious...

Yes

redsof72
06-03-2011, 10:20 AM
The Correa situation will clear up eventually but he is not currently active. Do not criticize Doug on this. If he was told not to say anything, and he discloses info on a public forum, then that source is going to take issue. Then you are going to get less info in the future.

dougdirt
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I personally think it's lame as well. Why say anything at all if you're not going to share?

The simple solution is saying, "I don't know if it's true, this is purely a rumor, but..."

I figured I would share that there is something more going on here than a simple injury issue (allegedly). I got my information second hand from a guy who has given me good information before, but I haven't been able to confirm it elsewhere either at this point. That is why I am not saying what exactly is going on.

Rockin-Redlegs
01-06-2012, 12:46 AM
For those wondering about Jonathan Correa...

Reds prospect Jonathan Correa suspended one year for lying about age

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/20/reds-prospect-jonathan-correa-suspended-one-year-for-lying-about-age/

He is currently on the "disqualified list" while serving his suspension.

Disqualified List - "A player who violates a player contract or reservation may be placed on this list. There is no minimum number of days the player must remain on the Disqualified List before the player can be reinstated to the Active List. A player on the Disqualified List does not count against a Club's Active List limits or its Reserve List limits."

Hope this helps! :beerme:

RedsManRick
01-06-2012, 01:25 AM
For those wondering about Jonathan Correa...

Reds prospect Jonathan Correa suspended one year for lying about age

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/20/reds-prospect-jonathan-correa-suspended-one-year-for-lying-about-age/

He is currently on the "disqualified list" while serving his suspension.

Disqualified List - "A player who violates a player contract or reservation may be placed on this list. There is no minimum number of days the player must remain on the Disqualified List before the player can be reinstated to the Active List. A player on the Disqualified List does not count against a Club's Active List limits or its Reserve List limits."

Hope this helps! :beerme:

So the penalty for being older than he says is taking him out of action for a year. Double whammy!

JayBruceFan
01-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that it has something to do with his age

Boom! Headshot :D

JaxRed
01-07-2012, 10:35 PM
So do we know when the suspension started?

RBA
01-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Angels worried about Albert?

sent from HTC EVO

Edd Roush
05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
So, it does not appear that Robert Stephenson will pitch on Thursday, May 23 as I originally hoped, but it does appear that Drew Cisco will pitch that day.

As we all know by reading through this thread, Cisco received supplemental first round kind of money as a sixth rounder and then had TJ surgery.

Updates since this last thread is that he started 15 games in Billings last year and did a fantastic job of limiting walks (only 1.08/9 innings) and therefore had a stellar 6.42 K:BB last year. In his first 8 starts of 2013, Cisco has done an even better job of limiting walks (0.72 BB/9 innings) and has an even better K:BB ratio of 10.75. His ERA in those first 8 starts is 2.88 and his FIP of 2.76 backs it up.

Can any one give me a scouting report on his 2013 repertoire? Did we underrate him as our #25 prospect? Does he have the upside of being a major league starter?

lollipopcurve
05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Can any one give me a scouting report on his 2013 repertoire? Did we underrate him as our #25 prospect? Does he have the upside of being a major league starter?

Fastball, curve, change (maybe slider too). Fastball may touch 90, not sure, but he's not a hard thrower. Curve is top notch. Plus-plus command and knows how to pitch. Definitely has the potential to be a back of rotation major league starter. Underrated in prospect polls here, IMO.

Edd Roush
05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Fastball, curve, change (maybe slider too). Fastball may touch 90, not sure, but he's not a hard thrower. Curve is top notch. Plus-plus command and knows how to pitch. Definitely has the potential to be a back of rotation major league starter. Underrated in prospect polls here, IMO.

Thanks for the quick response. I hope with that kind of stuff he can be successful at the higher levels. You just don't see too many starters in the bigs who struggle to touch 90 with their heater in the bigs. Any idea about the quality of his change and/or slider? Is he an Arroyo-esque pitcher? That is the first comp that comes to my head after seeing that scouting report.

dougdirt
05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Here is a free report I wrote on Cisco from a start a few weeks ago. Not sure he was underrated at 25 though, at least heading into the year.

This link has video as well:
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/03/cincinnati-reds-friday-minor-league-scouting-notebook-4/

Edd Roush
05-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Here is a free report I wrote on Cisco from a start a few weeks ago. Not sure he was underrated at 25 though, at least heading into the year.

This link has video as well:
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/03/cincinnati-reds-friday-minor-league-scouting-notebook-4/

Looks like your report is not free. The teaser part did state that he was showing four "good" pitches, though. Do you think his curveball rates out as a plus pitch as lollipopcurve indicates? What do you think his ceiling is? Is he Arroyo-esque on the mound or do you have another comp in mind when you see him?

dougdirt
05-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Looks like your report is not free. The teaser part did state that he was showing four "good" pitches, though. Do you think his curveball rates out as a plus pitch as lollipopcurve indicates? What do you think his ceiling is? Is he Arroyo-esque on the mound or do you have another comp in mind when you see him?

The report on Cisco is absolutely free. The other reports on the page are not. Watch the video, there is over 3 minutes worth. You can figure out if you think he looks like Arroyo or not.

HokieRed
05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the link, Doug. That's the most concentrated piece on Cisco I've been able to see. The change impresses me.

Edd Roush
05-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Apparently so.

I didn't know that allowing others to make up their own mind on what someone looks like made you sound like a prick though. I provided a link to a scouting report and plenty of video of the player he was curious about. Next time I should probably just not be a prick and let him just continue to wonder.

Doug. I can't get past the second paragraph before I see "content protected for user subscribers only." Was that all you were referring to in your first post? If so, I appreciate the material.

I can't see any video with my access to draw a conclusion on the Arroyo comp. Can anyone else on Redszone help me out?

corkedbat
05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
I believe coming out of the draft, some felt that Cisco's best "tool" might have been between his ears. A very srtrong pitching IQ, I believe.

HokieRed
05-20-2013, 09:57 PM
From the video, which is about all I know directly of Cisco, he doesn't remind me of Arroyo (except perhaps in the very general but not very helpful way that he doesn't throw real hard).

dougdirt
05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Doug. I can't get past the second paragraph before I see "content protected for user subscribers only." Was that all you were referring to in your first post? If so, I appreciate the material.

I can't see any video with my access to draw a conclusion on the Arroyo comp. Can anyone else on Redszone help me out?

That second paragraph ends what I had written on Cisco, so yeah, that is what I have on him. I have no idea why you can't see the video, because it is before anything is protected. The video should be the last thing before you get to he whole content protected thing.

Edd Roush
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
That second paragraph ends what I had written on Cisco, so yeah, that is what I have on him. I have no idea why you can't see the video, because it is before anything is protected. The video should be the last thing before you get to he whole content protected thing.

It's probably because my work internet blocks Youtube. Thanks for the report on Cisco. I hope he pitches well Thursday when I go to the game.