PDA

View Full Version : Theory on Jonny Gomes

OGB
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
My Dad is a lifelong Reds fan, but at 57 yo, he isn't the type of fan that could tell you the first thing about someone like Didi Gregorious or Jeremy Horst. That said, he is generally good for some rather astute observations about the ball club.
While we were talking Reds today he wondered aloud if the Reds were only holding on to Gomes because he had a bobblehead day coming up.
This wouldn't surprise me one bit. Heisey has been playing pretty well given the oppurtunity and he's a younger/cheaper/far better defensive option. Gomes can only play one OF position and doesn't give you good speed off the bench.
It would be an absolute embarrassment to run a promotion like that (July 23) for a guy your club DFA'd earlier in the season. I think Gomes will be gone by the end of July.

will5979
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
My Dad is a lifelong Reds fan, but at 57 yo, he isn't the type of fan that could tell you the first thing about someone like Didi Gregorious or Jeremy Horst. That said, he is generally good for some rather astute observations about the ball club.
While we were talking Reds today he wondered aloud if the Reds were only holding on to Gomes because he had a bobblehead day coming up.
This wouldn't surprise me one bit. Heisey has been playing pretty well given the oppurtunity and he's a younger/cheaper/far better defensive option. Gomes can only play one OF position and doesn't give you good speed off the bench.
It would be an absolute embarrassment to run a promotion like that (July 23) for a guy your club DFA'd earlier in the season. I think Gomes will be gone by the end of July.

I've thought for the past month that this is the case. They should have had Gomes' bobblehead early in the year, but I guess they didn't suspect that he would be in danger of losing his job. Votto is your best bet to have the bobblehead after the All-Star break, hell who's to say that Duhsty may not be around long after his bobblehead (one can dream anyway)!

BAKER12
05-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I've thought for the past month that this is the case. They should have had Gomes' bobblehead early in the year, but I guess they didn't suspect that he would be in danger of losing his job. Votto is your best bet to have the bobblehead after the All-Star break, hell who's to say that Duhsty may not be around long after his bobblehead (one can dream anyway)!

Who is your dream manager? Vern Rapp (he is still living)

davereds24
05-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Even if those bobbleheads were already made, which is unlikely, they could easily create a new promotion. They won't make decisions based on a bobblehead, Marge might have.

BluegrassRedleg
05-31-2011, 12:19 AM
So this theory goes that someone would keep a guy who was hurting the club (and potential attendance for future games) in exchange for one big attendance game?

I just can't buy that.

The Reds are just being patient, loyal (maybe to a fault) and hoping Gomes can catch lightning in a bottle for a month or two.

big boy
05-31-2011, 01:00 AM
I am pretty sure that the Reds have had a bobblehead night for a player not on the team but I don't recall who it was...Danny Graves comes to mind.

Fireball
05-31-2011, 01:20 AM
You're getting a bit outlandish with the conspiracy theories if you think that Gomes remains on the team just because he has a bobblehead day coming up. Not even Marge or Leatherpants would have tried to pull that.

The facts remains that Jonny is an emotional leader on this club and has always been a streaky player. At the very least, he is a valuable bench bat. That is why the Reds hang onto him, not because of a stupid bobblehead. The Reds would still sell out (or nearly sell out) that game even if they got rid of Gomes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JayBruceFan
05-31-2011, 01:32 AM
They wouldn't give away the bobblehead if he wasn't on the team anymore

See: Ryan Dempster and Florida Marlins

Krawhitham
05-31-2011, 02:11 AM

Does not matter if he is cheaper than Gomes, if they DFA Gomes the Reds still pay the contracted he signed.

This club only has a handful of players faster than Gomes and I do not know if HI-C is one of them

gilpdawg
05-31-2011, 04:57 AM
Votto is your best bet to have the bobblehead after the All-Star break, hell who's to say that Duhsty may not be around long after his bobblehead (one can dream anyway)!
Well, Votto has already had one this year, as it's sitting on my desk.

will5979
05-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Well, Votto has already had one this year, as it's sitting on my desk.

Right, I was saying that you should give your suckiest player's bobblehead away early in case you have to trade or cut them, Votto should have been the last one given away.

will5979
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Who is your dream manager? Vern Rapp (he is still living)

Manager: Joe Morgan
Hitting Coach: Barry Larkin
Pitching Coach: Don Gullett-he had absolutely nothing to work with while he was the coach so he deserves another chance.

texasdave
05-31-2011, 10:06 AM
If they get Janish to start sporting a Mohawk and wiggling his helmet up and down that promotion can be saved. :)

Vottomatic
05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
My list of managers:

Davey Johnson (in his early 70's)
Bobby Valentine
Billy Hatcher
Rick Sweet (knows nearly the entire team having coached most of them in triple A)
Jack McKeon (in his early 100's)...........JUST KIDDING

texasdave
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Ron Gardenhire.
Tony Larussa.
Davey Johnson (if he wasn't so old).
Ozzie Guillen (purely for the entertainment value).
Rick Sweet (only if they played Ballroom Blitz - and changed it to Bullpen Blitz - every time he came out to the mound to make a pitching change).

will5979
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Rick Sweet (knows nearly the entire team having coached most of them in triple A)

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No AAA managers, I just had a Babe Ruth, I mean Dave Miley flashback!

mu4103
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Tommy Lasorda :)
Joe Torre
Me