PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Transactions

camisadelgolf
05-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Post 'em here.
Nick Christiani was promoted from Carolina to Louisville.
Jason Braun went from Dayton to Carolina, which probably won't last long.
Ezequiel Infante was activated from the DL for the Dragons.
Eric Campbell was promoted from Bakersfield to Carolina.
Tzu-Kai Chiu is back in Bakersfield from extended spring training.
Didi Gregorius is off the DL and in Bakersfield.
Clay Shunick and Pedro Villarreal were promoted to Carolina from the Blaze.
Mark Serrano was demoted from Carolina to Bakersfield.
Daryl Thompson was optioned form the Reds to Louisville.
Mike Costanzo is on Carolina's DL with a hamstring injury.
Brandon Hynick went from Carolina to Louisville.
Matt Klinker was promoted to Louisville.
The recently-signed Tim Gustafson was assigned to the Mudcats.
Joe Krebs went on the restricted list.
Tom Cochran was called up to the Reds.
Brian Barton is back in Louisville from the DL.
The Reds called up Jeremy Horst from the Bats.
Jordan Smith is on the DL with shoulder tendinitis.
The Reds recalled Mike Leake.
Chris Mobley was traded to the Bats for future considerations.
Zack Cozart is on the DL with an ankle sprain.

GOYA
05-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Add Juan Duran to Dayton DL with hamstring

camisadelgolf
05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Tom Cochran was DFAed. Reineke was called up.

mace
05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Since the season started (which means I'm not including the likes of Eric Campbell, Brian Barton, David Cook and Jeremy Hermida), the following guys have been signed and placed in Carolina or Louisville or both at one time or another:

Brandon Hynick
David Johnson
Steven Jackson
Chris Mobley
Brent Clevlen
James Adkins
Tim Gustafson
Kyle McCullough
Quintin Berry
James Skelton

It just seems like a lot--at least compared to recent years. Is it? If so, why do you think? My guess is that it's two-fold. One, the organization realizes it is woefully thin at the AA level. And two, injuries.

dougdirt
05-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Quintin Berry has been fantastic for the top of the Carolina line up.

GOYA
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Daryl Thompson is not showing up on the 40-man. Anyone know what's up with that?

cinreds21
06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I think it's just an error but I'll try and find out.

cinreds21
06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Fay said the roster was wrong. An error like I said.

camisadelgolf
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Fay said the roster was wrong. An error like I said.
And then he gave a broken link to the Reds' website, which is where the question came from in the first place. John Fay, if you're reading this, you're a moron.

GOYA
06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Thompson is also not on the 40-man according to the Bats site. But they may be copying info from the Reds' site.

cinreds21
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
The Reds have signed left-handed journeyman Tim Hamulack and placed him with Double-A Carolina.

muddie
06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
This guy is from nowhere. I have to wonder if he knows someone or something. As provided from Wikipedia...

Timothy Wm. Alexander Hamulack (born November 14, 1976 in Ithaca, New York) is a professional baseball relief pitcher with the the [Lancaster Barnstormers] in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. Hamulack is 6' 4" and weighs 220 pounds. He throws left-handed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hamulack

cinreds21
06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
He had big league time in 2005 and 2006.

muddie
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
So do you see this as a signing for Carolina or for the organization? Apparently he's been a closer the past two years. If signed for Carolina, what does this say for Joseph? This guy is a lefty as well.

GOYA
06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Zach Cozart has returned from the DL to the active roster for the Bats.

cinreds21
06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
So do you see this as a signing for Carolina or for the organization? Apparently he's been a closer the past two years. If signed for Carolina, what does this say for Joseph? This guy is a lefty as well.

I'm not sure. I thought he was going to be a starter (and have Tabor move back to the pen) but I guess not. Lee's done well in the rotation so far so no need to move him.

muddie
06-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Carolina Mudcats...

Tim Hamulack has been added to the roster.

Miguel Rojas to the 7 day DL (right rotator cuff.)

Jason Braun back to Dayton.

muddie
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Mudcat's radio reports Brian Barton was released today. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere.

mace
06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Carolina Mudcats...

Miguel Rojas to the 7 day DL (right rotator cuff.)

Rojas had been hitting well lately.

mace
06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Alonso with a 3-run shot. Bats lead 5-1 after eight. Volquez went 6.2.

mace
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Yorman drove in a run with a triple. Dayton leads 4-2 after eight.

mace
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Carolina falls 4-3. Adkins (2 IP) and the new kid, Hamulack, combined for three scoreless innings with 4 K. Kahaulelio homered.

mace
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Dang it! I've been putting these in the wrong thread! D'oh!

cinreds21
06-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Carolina falls 4-3. Adkins (2 IP) and the new kid, Hamulack, combined for three scoreless innings with 4 K. Kahaulelio homered.

More like old guy

muddie
06-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Mike Costanzo activated. No accompanying move.

cinreds21
06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Nothing needed with Jas going on the DL.

GOYA
06-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Tom Cochran cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Louisville.

Gallen5862
06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I am glad to see that Tom Cochran cleared waivers. The Reds need all the pitchers they can get right now on the organizational depth chart.

muddie
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
The Cincinnati Reds have announced that LHP Aroldis Chapman will be joining their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats on a major league rehab assignment beginning tonight in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I just missed out.

GOYA
06-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Sounds like he'll still be with them for the next home series. I hope you guys get a chance to see him.

Doc. Scott
06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Hamulack is 34 years old and spent 2010 pitching in independent ball. He's made the bigs before, but doesn't have a win- maybe that's why he came back. Situational lefty put up some videogame numbers at high levels a few years ago.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profile.asp?P=Tim-Hamulack

GOYA
06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Dave Sappelt has rejoined the Bats team in Syracuse and should be activated within the next couple of days.

cinreds21
06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Yay!

muddie
06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Carolina Mudcats...

Henry Rodriguez up from Bakersfield.
Matt Klinker back from Louisville.
Jose Castro goes on DL with left knee hyperextension.
Clayton Schunick is headed to Bakersfield.

cinreds21
06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
It starts.

texasdave
06-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Does Walt have to sign off on all minor league transactions or are lower-level transactions at the discretion of the farm director? Does anyone know the answer to that?

cinreds21
06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I think it's mostly the latter.

redsof72
06-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Major decisions are going to go through Bavasi. A promotion/demotion of a top prospect or player who got big money is going to be viewed as major. Sometimes a player might have gotten big money and there comes a point where pretty much everyone agrees that he is not playing well but influences at the top would need to give their blessing and that is usually not something that anyone is looking forward to discussing.

As far as daily changes, there could be some direction given by Jockety/Bavasi (Bavasi is a very powerful person in this organization, of course). Example might be, this year, they may say we are going to try to keep our clubs together for the first half and let them stay competitive and when needs arise at a higher level, we will fill in through free agency rather than just stripping the rosters of the teams below. That would be a philosophical thing and as you have seen, that is pretty much what they have done this year.

redsof72
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
The Carolina club would not agree on that second paragraph in my last post.

Unfortunately, the Mudcats are feeling the talent void in the system that the A-clubs have felt over the last couple years.

Generally speaking, you don't improve your clubs within a season by doing a ton of promoting from within the system. When you run into what Carolina has hit this year, the only quick-fix is to go out a sign a bunch of guys released out of Triple-A. That is certainly not an ideal position to have to be in and no one would want that, but that is what you have to do (and they have tried to do that, to their credit. It just has not worked well because there was so little production from the guys who came up through the system).

redsof72
06-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Following up on this a bit more, I am sure some are reading this and saying, "outside of the Carolina fans, why does it really matter if the affiliate wins?"

Many reasons. Reds have lost several affiliations in recent years for one. But my real point is, you are developing a culture of what is ok, what is acceptable. When your prospects get to the majors and they are down 5-3 after seven innings, do you want them calling it quits, or believing they are going to come back and win? The Dayton club over the last three years is 7-159 when trailing after seven innings (2-66 in '09; 3-66 in '10; 2-27 in '11). You can see the losing attitude as soon as they fall behind.

Torii Hunter once told me after he made a diving catch to end a game with the bases loaded, "I just was not going to accept losing as an option." Losing was unacceptable to him. You want to develop that attitude. That is what you have to have at the big league level, and it forms on the way up.

Three of our four full season affiliates all finished last in 2010, and that is why they have tried to keep teams together this year, I am sure.

lollipopcurve
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
The Dayton club over the last three years is 7-159 when trailing after seven innings (2-66 in '09; 3-66 in '10; 2-27 in '11). You can see the losing attitude as soon as they fall behind.

72, you seem to lump this year's club with the previous ones. Don't you think this crew is a different breed, what with the quality prospects and solid pitching?

redsof72
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Pitching is much better, absolutely. Postion players: I like Barnhart and Hamilton as prospects. Some others could emerge.

One thing about prospects that I would maybe see differently: There is nowhere near the consensus on prospects, coaches, managers, rovers, etc. as what is portrayed through media outlets. Once Baseball America jumps on something, and I do respect J.J. Cooper very much, the others all follow the leader. The consensus on prospects becomes almost universal among those people.

Scouts and baseball people couldn't care less what Baseball America says and they are far less in agreement on prospects than you would ever think. So while it might seem universally accepted because it is out there so much that, for example, Yorman, is a top 10 prospect in the organization, but for many scouts, they have their own opinion and they might not see that at all.

We need to see more of Yorman. He could take off in the second half and start showng something at the plate. For now, he is just a bad player with tools who got a lot of money.

camisadelgolf
06-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I agree completely, '72. Fortunately, things are looking much better in 2012 (and 2013 and beyond). With the exception of weak pitching in AA again (that bullpen will be looking desperate) and weak hitting in A+ (then again, they could surprise you again like they did this year), the affiliates should be strong across the board.

lollipopcurve
06-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Pitching is much better, absolutely. Postion players: I like Barnhart and Hamilton as prospects. Some others could emerge.

One thing about prospects that I would maybe see differently: There is nowhere near the consensus on prospects, coaches, managers, rovers, etc. as what is portrayed through media outlets. Once Baseball America jumps on something, and I do respect J.J. Cooper very much, the others all follow the leader. The consensus on prospects becomes almost universal among those people.

Scouts and baseball people couldn't care less what Baseball America says and they are far less in agreement on prospects than you would ever think. So while it might seem universally accepted because it is out there so much that, for example, Yorman, is a top 10 prospect in the organization, but for many scouts, they have their own opinion and they might not see that at all.

We need to see more of Yorman. He could take off in the second half and start showng something at the plate. For now, he is just a bad player with tools who got a lot of money.

I agree 100% re: the sway BA holds over the fans' perceptions of prospects. Re: Yorman, I have a hard time believing he has been vastly overvalued as a prospect. Tony Arias has been a very good scout for the Reds, and I have to think Yorman had strong backing from Arias, opening the door for him to get that giant bonus. Yorman had some stellar numbers in Billings last summer, too. I could well be wrong, but you may be coming down a little too hard on him as a player. You were pretty tough on Mesoraco, too. ;)

redsof72
06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I am not speaking to Yorman's future and not trying to break down what kind of prospect he is or how he should be rated. I am commenting on what I see now. I can tell you there are scouts who have watched him this season and commented that he is not a prospect for them. If he goes on a hot streak and starts showing some skills that we have not seen yet, I am sure they are going to start changing their tunes.

As far as Mesoraco, when he was in Dayton he was a very poor defensive player. He held his own as a hitter. As you know, even Baseball America, which bases a lot on reputation since they do not have scouts, dropped him to the #30 position entering last season. He has really improved his game from what we saw in 2008 and I am really happy for him. Good kid. Always worked hard. A guy you pull for. I never said anything but good things about Mesoraco when it comes to character and work ethic. My issues with him were all based on the fact that he was so bad defensively at that time that it was hard to imagine him making enough improvement to be a major leaguer. But I also said to let him play and see if he can improve.

Huge, huge difference between Mesoraco and Yorman. One kid worked hard, tried to learn, busted his butt all the time and even when things were not going well and he had a ton of pressure as a number one pick, he never stopped working or never quit.

You are comparing two players there that could not possibly be any more different. Now, does that mean I am looking into a crystal ball and saying Yorman will never make it? No. Who knows what happens if the maturity light comes on. Some of the worst attitudes in sports made it (see Albert Belle).

One point I want to clarify is the difference between saying a guy has tools and a guy has talent. Yorman has some tools that we see. Michael Jordan as a baseball player had tools. If you took an Olympic sprinter and put him on a baseball field, he would have some tools.

Talent, I think, is a different matter. Yorman might have good speed if you asked him to run a 60 yard dash on a field at a workout. But when he is chasing a fly ball in the outfield, that same speed is not there, either because of a lack of effort or because he just doesn't have the instincts to go after the ball and catch it. He has not turned tools into baseball skills or baseball talent. His scouts saw those tools. I look at the player and I see a lack of baseball skills and then I see this prima donna attitude.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

2 more Reds transactions: 20th rounder RHP Dan Jensen signed...RHP Jonathan Correa placed on the disqualified list.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

cinreds21
06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
So he got released I suppose?

redsof72
06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Disqualified list: They would still control his rights but he, at this time, has become ineligible to play.

I knew a player a few years back. He was a great base stealer named Freddy Guzman. Still playing I think. Scouts looked at the player and said that guy looks a lot like a guy we saw last year named Pedro De Los Santos. He could be his twin brother.

Turns out they were not twins, they were the same player. Guzman was De Los Santos. Fortunately, their ages were not too far apart so Guzman was able to keep playing.

They might have put Guzman on the disqualified list for a time while it was being sorted out.

batsfan
06-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Disqualified list: They would still control his rights but he, at this time, has become ineligible to play.

I knew a player a few years back. He was a great base stealer named Freddy Guzman. Still playing I think. Scouts looked at the player and said that guy looks a lot like a guy we saw last year named Pedro De Los Santos. He could be his twin brother.

Turns out they were not twins, they were the same player. Guzman was De Los Santos. Fortunately, their ages were not too far apart so Guzman was able to keep playing.

They might have put Guzman on the disqualified list for a time while it was being sorted out.

What is the restricted list? I noticed that Krebs has been placed on there.

muddie
06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
What is the restricted list? I noticed that Krebs has been placed on there.

From Answers.com...

The restricted list is a lot like the disabled list, but the conditions under which a player can be put on the restricted list are a lot different. For example, one doesn't have to be be injured to go on the restricted list, but one can be. The restricted list is a list of players to whom certain teams have contractual obligations, but are currently not a part of the team and may not play in an MLB game.

I'm sure there are better answers to be had on this board than this.

redsof72
06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Restricted List: They would still control his rights and he is eligible. One example, not that this is the case for Krebs because I don't have any idea, but one example could be that the player had a parent that was very seriously ill and he wanted to go home and be with the parent. There is also a temporary inactive list that they use when the player is away for the Futures Game or Olympics or something short term.

cinreds21
06-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Krebs, like Alexander Smit last year, was put on the restricted list due to "retirement." they told Krebs he was going back down to Double-A and he said no and left.

lollipopcurve
06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Huge, huge difference between Mesoraco and Yorman. One kid worked hard, tried to learn, busted his butt all the time and even when things were not going well and he had a ton of pressure as a number one pick, he never stopped working or never quit.

You are comparing two players there that could not possibly be any more different. Now, does that mean I am looking into a crystal ball and saying Yorman will never make it? No. Who knows what happens if the maturity light comes on. Some of the worst attitudes in sports made it (see Albert Belle).

Fair enough -- there's a lot of truth in what you say, I'm absolutely sure. And I very much appreciate the light you shed on these players for us. My hopes for Yorman have certainly been sobered.

A guy I like at Dayton is Vidal. Could you share a thought or two about him?

redsof72
06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Vidal: Defensively, excellent hands, makes plays on tricky hops that you rarely see made at this level...average range. Offensively, good power potential. Good hitter for a player coming out of junior college. Well below average runner. Has tendency to let bad at-bats carry over. Along with Barnhart and Sierra, ranks among league's best defensive players at respective position.

lollipopcurve
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Vidal: Defensively, excellent hands, makes plays on tricky hops that you rarely see made at this level...average range. Offensively, good power potential. Good hitter for a player coming out of junior college. Well below average runner. Has tendency to let bad at-bats carry over. Along with Barnhart and Sierra, ranks among league's best defensive players at respective position.

Thanks. Sounds like a kid with a shot, but he's going to have to work at it.

cinreds21
06-14-2011, 02:10 AM
As I reported earlier, but I thought I'd put it here in the transaction thread, left-handed pitcher Lee Tabor was released Monday night.

texasdave
06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Daniel Tuttle shipped out to Extended Spring Training to make room for Lotzkar.

muddie
06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Carolina moves...

IF Jake Kahaulelio has been reassigned to the High-A Bakersfield Blaze, with IF Jose Castro being activated from the disabled list.

nemesis
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Daniel Tuttle shipped out to Extended Spring Training to make room for Lotzkar.

I find it odd that they would demote Tuttle vs Promoting Smith. It's not like Bakersfield has 5 capible starters.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Spencer Dickinson was promoted from AZL Reds to Billings.
Carlos Mendez was sent back to Bakersfield to make room for Justin Lehr, who is down from Louisville.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I find it odd that they would demote Tuttle vs Promoting Smith. It's not like Bakersfield has 5 capible starters.
Tuttle is suspended for a (recreational) drug violation. I'd argue that Bakersfield has five capable starters, but the best ones are pitching like middle-of-the-rotation starters for the most part. Teams tend to avoid sending their best pitching prospects to the California League, which might help explain why you see lesser prospects there aside from J.C. Sulbaran.

redsof72
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
From the Dragons today...

Right-handed pitcher Daniel Renken has been promoted from Dayton to the Bakersfield Blaze (California League).

Outfielder Yorman Rodriguez has been placed on the disabled list with a bruised left shoulder.

Outfielder Drew Poulk has been promoted to Dayton from the Billings Mustangs.

The Dragons roster now stands at 24 players, one below the Midwest League limit.

Since June 29, Renken was 4-0 in six starts and his 0.77 earned run average ranked second among starting pitchers in all of Minor League Baseball (10 full-season leagues, 120 teams). Overall with the Dragons, Renken was 6-8 with a 3.18 ERA in 20 starts. He leads the Midwest League in strikeouts with 141 in 113.1 innings.

Rodriguez suffered a bruised shoulder on July 14 and returned to action on July 29. He left the game after his first at-bat on Sunday, July 31 and did not play on Monday. Rodriguez has appeared in 79 games with the Dragons, batting .254 with seven home runs and 40 runs batted in.

Poulk was pounding Pioneer League pitching at Billings, batting .354 with six home runs and 19 RBI in just 96 at-bats, posting a slugging percentage of .625. He appeared in eight games with the Dragons earlier this season, batting .280 with one home run.

redsmetz
10-28-2011, 10:28 AM
If it's okay with others, I figured I'd just draw this thread forward as the club does some post-season housecleaning. From Jamie Ramsey's blog, the Reds made the following moves:

10/10/11 – RHP Chad Reineke (Louisville) elected free agencey

10/26/11 – SS Phil Bauer (Bakersfield), RHP Po-Cheng Chi (AZL), RHP Scott Gaffney (Bakersfield), SS Jake Kahaulelio (Carolina), LHP Matt Leonard (Billings), LHP Luca Panerati (Dayton) and RHP Patrick Quinn(Bakersfield) all have been released unconditionally.

10/27/11 – RHP Cesar Caceras (AZL) and SS Cristobal Rodriguez (Billings) have been released unconditionally.

mace
10-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Kind of surprised about Kahaulelio and Panerati.

cinreds21
10-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Real sad for Jake. He was a great guy.

Gallen5862
11-01-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Today's minor moves...

Jared Burton elected free agency, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon (on Twitter). The 30-year-old right-hander showed promise out of the 'pen in 2007-08, but has appeared in just ten MLB games since 2010. He spent time on the 60-day DL with shoulder inflammation in 2011.

Gallen5862
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...-7/#more-13413

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: C Corky Miller (re-signed), OF Daryl Jones
The Cardinals had high hopes for their ’05 third-rounder Daryl Jones, but the athletic outfielder stalled at Double-A with too little range or instincts for center and too little power for a corner. The 24-year-old batted .263/.353/.389 over 1,168 plate appearances for Springfield, where he spent the bulk of the past four seasons

batsfan
11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/11/minor-league-transactions-nov-8-14/

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: 3B Mike Costanzo (re-signed), OF Welinton Ramirez

Detroit signed Quintin Berry, Minnesota signed Jared Burton, Seattle signed Eric Campbell, Toronto signed Jerry Gil.

muddie
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/11/minor-league-transactions-nov-8-14/

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: 3B Mike Costanzo (re-signed), OF Welinton Ramirez

Detroit signed Quintin Berry, Minnesota signed Jared Burton, Seattle signed Eric Campbell, Toronto signed Jerry Gil.

All good and thanks for posting. Glad Costanzo got re-signed. I was wondering if he would be back. I'm glad Berry went to Detroit if he wasn't staying around. Definitely keeping an eye on him next year.

camisadelgolf
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=salina001dou
In case any of you are huge fans of Doug Salinas, he signed with the Rangers.

Tony Cloninger
12-24-2011, 09:54 AM
All good and thanks for posting. Glad Costanzo got re-signed. I was wondering if he would be back. I'm glad Berry went to Detroit if he wasn't staying around. Definitely keeping an eye on him next year.

I liked Berry....he would have been good depth right now.

mth123
01-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Jerry Gil to the Blue Jays.

camisadelgolf
01-01-2012, 02:52 PM
The Jays also signed former Reds draftee Robert Coello.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=coello001rob

redsmetz
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com reports of a tweet that the Reds have signed Brandon Phillips' younger brother:

P.J. Phillips, the younger brother of Brandon Phillips, agreed to a deal with the Reds, tweets Goldstein. The younger Phillips' career never got going due to plate discipline issues.

camisadelgolf
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
The Reds also signed Brian Peacock (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=peacoc001bri), a catcher who has spent his past five years playing for the Potomac Nationals.

powersackers
01-04-2012, 11:25 PM
The Reds also signed Brian Peacock (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=peacoc001bri), a catcher who has spent his past five years playing for the Potomac Nationals.

Guy never gave it up after parts of 5 seasons for one high A club? Hope they gave him a big pillow for his behind for those long bus rides and a couple extra bucks to supersize his McDonald's combo meal.

cinreds21
01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Reds have also re-signed infielder/outfielder Michael Griffin.

mth123
01-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Reds have also re-signed infielder/outfielder Michael Griffin.

I thought I read somewhere that Griffin was converting to a pitcher. Anyone know if that's the plan?

BuckeyeRedleg
01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Not including the trades, it seems as if the Reds lost a lot of decent talent in the minors this off-season - with not that much brought in to replace it.

batsfan
01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Griffin was converting to a pitcher. Anyone know if that's the plan?

Bats broadcaster Matt Andrews mentioned this as a possibility, but I have not heard anything else about this.

dougdirt
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Michael Griffin is converting to pitcher.

camisadelgolf
01-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Josh Garton was released.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=garton001jos

camisadelgolf
01-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Ex-Reds farmhand news:
Colorado Rockies signed Brandon Roberts and Brendan Harris.
The New York Mets signed Jeff Stevens.
The New York Yankees signed Dewayne Wise.
And the Washington Nationals signed ex-Red Mike Cameron.

texasdave
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
The Reds have announced the signings of catcher Corky Miller and left-hander Jeremy Horst to minor league contracts with invites to the Major League spring training camp. Miller, a 10-year veteran, was originally drafted by the Reds in 1998 and has spent the last three years in Cincinnati's system. Horst, 26, made his Major League debut last season with the Reds, posting a 2.93 ERA in 12 relief appearances. Previously-announced signings Brian Esposito, Sean Gallagher, Daryl Jones, Chad Reineke, Clayton Tanner and Kanekoa Texeira were also confirmed as non-roster invitees.

Gallen5862
01-12-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-4-10/

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: RHP Jean Duque, RHP Tim Gustafson (re-signed), RHP John Holdzkom, C Rafael Vera

RED VAN HOT
01-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know the story on John Holdzkom? 6' 7'', former 4th round pick of the Mets in 2006. He missed 2009 season after having TJ surgery. Pitched briefly in 2010 and was released in 2011, a season in which he did not pitch at all. It appears that he once had a good fastball. Reds must have some reason for signing him other than their affinity for tall pitchers.

camisadelgolf
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know the story on John Holdzkom? 6' 7'', former 4th round pick of the Mets in 2006. He missed 2009 season after having TJ surgery. Pitched briefly in 2010 and was released in 2011, a season in which he did not pitch at all. It appears that he once had a good fastball. Reds must have some reason for signing him other than their affinity for tall pitchers.
He'll be playing shortstop in Louisville.

Gallen5862
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
http://www.metsblog.com/2007/01/12/profile-john-holdzkom/

According to Bowman, a baseball card company, Holdzkom has a
towering long armed presence on mound who hits high 90s with a searing
fastball. He will advance quickly as he refines control and reminds some
scouts of John Lackey.

JayBruceFan
01-12-2012, 09:46 PM
He also looks like Napoleon Dynamite

camisadelgolf
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
But seriously . . .

His fastball sits at 93/94 and tops out at 98 MPH. My research shows he throws a change and maybe a cutter. He apparently had an issue with staying academically eligible for baseball in high school in addition to getting in trouble with his college coach. He's best-suited to be a power reliever, but his mechanics are apparently inconsistent and result in him having a major lack of control.

redsmetz
01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-4-10/

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: RHP Jean Duque, RHP Tim Gustafson (re-signed), RHP John Holdzkom, C Rafael Vera

I went looking for info on Duque just because the name intrigued me (sounded French, but he's from Venezuela.

Here's a piece from a blog last season in his U.S. debut season:

http://www2.tricities.com/blogs/bhc-sports-blog/2011/aug/27/hayes-blog-jean-duques-long-cruel-summer-ar-1268705/

redsmetz
01-13-2012, 08:10 AM
But seriously . . .

His fastball sits at 93/94 and tops out at 98 MPH. My research shows he throws a change and maybe a cutter. He apparently had an issue with staying academically eligible for baseball in high school in addition to getting in trouble with his college coach. He's best-suited to be a power reliever, but his mechanics are apparently inconsistent and result in him having a major lack of control.

Here's a detailed scouting report following one game back in '08. Of course, for minor league players, that's an eternity ago:

http://scoutingthesally.com/john-holdzkom-new-york-mets-baseball-prospect-scouting-report/

cinreds21
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
The Cincinnati Reds have released right-handed pitcher Kyle McCulloch. The 2006 first rounder split 2011 between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville, posting a combined 6-8 record with a 5.25 ERA in 32 games.
The Reds acquired the Texas native last March from the Chicago White Sox for cash considerations.

Doc. Scott
01-20-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-11-17-2/

---
Cincinnati Reds
Signed: RHP Ryne Reynoso (Gary (American Assoc.)), LHP Ron Mahay, LHP Clay Zavada, C Dioner Navarro, 1B Joel Guzman (Chunichi (Japan))
Released: RHP Kyle McCulloch

The Reds already have significant lefty presence in their bullpen—Sean Marshall, Bill Bray and possibly Aroldis Chapman—so Ron Mahay and Clay Zavada could be vying for third lefty honors.

Former Dodgers top prospect Joel Guzman touched down in the Rays, Nationals and Orioles organizations prior to playing in Japan last year. He led the Eastern League with 33 homers in ’10, but didn't fare nearly so well in Nippon Professional Baseball, batting .181/.219/.298 with seven homers and a walk-to-strikeout ratio of 9-to-81 in 238 at-bats.
---

Guzman, a former top-ten Baseball America prospect back in 2005: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=guzman001irv

Reynoso, 27 in March, was a 26th-round pick by Atlanta in 2006 out of Boston College. He pitched in relief his first full pro year, then switched to starting in 2008-2009 while making it as far as AAA Gwinnett. The Red Sox signed him in mid-2010 after his release by the Braves and moved him back to the bullpen in Double-A. Without a gig for 2011, he pitched relatively unsuccessfully in indie ball. It's possible he's an injury-comeback situation.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Ryne-Reynoso

texasdave
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_nri.jsp?c_id=cin

From www.cincinnatireds.com. A list of non-roster invitees. In case anyone is interested.

corkedbat
01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-11-17-2/

---
Cincinnati Reds
Signed: RHP Ryne Reynoso (Gary (American Assoc.)), LHP Ron Mahay, LHP Clay Zavada, C Dioner Navarro, 1B Joel Guzman (Chunichi (Japan))
Released: RHP Kyle McCulloch

The Reds already have significant lefty presence in their bullpen—Sean Marshall, Bill Bray and possibly Aroldis Chapman—so Ron Mahay and Clay Zavada could be vying for third lefty honors.

Former Dodgers top prospect Joel Guzman touched down in the Rays, Nationals and Orioles organizations prior to playing in Japan last year. He led the Eastern League with 33 homers in ’10, but didn't fare nearly so well in Nippon Professional Baseball, batting .181/.219/.298 with seven homers and a walk-to-strikeout ratio of 9-to-81 in 238 at-bats.
---

Guzman, a former top-ten Baseball America prospect back in 2005: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=guzman001irv

Reynoso, 27 in March, was a 26th-round pick by Atlanta in 2006 out of Boston College. He pitched in relief his first full pro year, then switched to starting in 2008-2009 while making it as far as AAA Gwinnett. The Red Sox signed him in mid-2010 after his release by the Braves and moved him back to the bullpen in Double-A. Without a gig for 2011, he pitched relatively unsuccessfully in indie ball. It's possible he's an injury-comeback situation.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Ryne-Reynoso

I really wanted the Reds to acquire Guzman from the Dogers at one time, but that was a long time ago. IIRC, he was a tall MI prospect at the time. Sounds like possible depth for the Bats, but not much else.

Gallen5862
01-29-2012, 10:45 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-18-25/

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: LHP Wilkin de la Rosa (Camden (Atlantic)), 2B James Ewing, OF Willie Harris
Traded: LHP Jeremy Horst to Phillies for SS Wilson Valdez

Gallen5862
01-29-2012, 11:15 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/players/cards/31977

James Ewing, 2b

Proper Name: James Ewing
Born: Oct. 27, 1986 in Beaumont, Texas
High School: Westbrook
College: Southern Mississippi
Ht.: 6-0 Wt.: 190
Bats: R Throws: R

cinreds21
01-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Former Reds minor leaguer Chris McMurray signed with the Rockies.

camisadelgolf
01-30-2012, 01:00 AM
In other ex-Red news, the Orioles signed Dennys Reyes, and the Indians signed Fred Lewis.

lollipopcurve
01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Wilken de la Rosa is an interesting pickup. Former Yankees prospect as on OF, converted to pitching just a few years ago. Lefthander with excellent numbers in the minors. Yankees had him on their 40-man, but then dropped him after a "B-12" controversy involving him and Ivan Nova. Check out this scouting report:

http://www.theyankeeu.com/2009/05/prospect-profile-wilkins-de-la-rosa-3304

muddie
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Cleveland acquired Russ Canzler, the top player in the International League last season, on Tuesday from the Tampa Bay Rays for cash. I'm surprised they were able to get this guy without giving up a player.

Canzler, only 25, played rightfield, leftfield, third base and first base last season for Triple-A Durham, where he batted .314 with 18 home runs and 83 RBIs in 131 games for the Bulls. Canzler made his major league debut for the Rays on Sept. 11 and had one hit in three games.

_Sir_Charles_
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
The Reds have signed right-hander Wirfin Obispo to a minor league contracts, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Signed as an 18-year-old shortstop by the Red Sox in 2002, Obispo was converted to pitching by the Reds in 2004 and put up solid numbers for Cincinnati's Dominican summer league team over the next three seasons. Obispo has since pitched in Japan, posting a 3.25 ERA, a 7.8 K/9 rate and a 3.22 K/BB ratio in 46 games (28 of them starts) with the Yomiuri Giants and the Nippon Ham Fighters.

lollipopcurve
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
The Reds have signed right-hander Wirfin Obispo to a minor league contracts, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Signed as an 18-year-old shortstop by the Red Sox in 2002, Obispo was converted to pitching by the Reds in 2004 and put up solid numbers for Cincinnati's Dominican summer league team over the next three seasons. Obispo has since pitched in Japan, posting a 3.25 ERA, a 7.8 K/9 rate and a 3.22 K/BB ratio in 46 games (28 of them starts) with the Yomiuri Giants and the Nippon Ham Fighters.

Holy moly. Man emerges from black hole.

_Sir_Charles_
02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Now it would be REALLY impressive if they converted him BACK into a shortstop again. :O)

texasdave
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Wirfin Obispo - a name you can trust. He immediately goes to the top of the prospects' list IMO.

klw
02-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Reds introduce their new signings to each other
"Wilken -Wirfin, Wirfin- Wilken"

texasdave
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
According to this article, at one point in time Wirfin could dial it up to 98 on the radar gun.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Wirfin_Obispo

Gallen5862
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/02/minor-league-transactions-jan-26-feb-1/

Cincinnati Reds
Released: OF Will Stramp

hanley.manor
02-06-2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/37/b/happy.gif

This is the same Miguel Gonzalez whom the Red Sox drafted in the ’08 Rule 5, following a year lost to injury in the Angels system. He repeated the trick with the Red Sox in ’09, missing the entire year after having Tommy John surgery. Gonzalez returned to make 35 total appearances in ’10 and ’11, topping out in Double-A last year.

texasdave
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Reds inked this guy to a minor-league deal. Jason Christian. Cincinnati native.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=christ002jas

Gallen5862
02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/02/minor-league-transactions-feb-2-7/#more-13903

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: RHP Wirfin Obispo (Nippon-Ham (Japan)), LHP Jeff Francis, 3B Jason Christian
Wirfin Obispo has pitched in Japan since ’07, though he did play in the low, low minors for two major league organizations about a decade ago. He played shortstop for the Dominican Summer League Red Sox in ’02 and then pitched for the DSL Reds in ’04 and ’05.

Gallen5862
02-29-2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/02/minor-league-transactions-feb-14-20/#more-14016

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: RHP Brett Tomko
Released: RHP Blair Carson, RHP Chase Ware, LHP Steven Otterness, LHP Justin Walker, 1B Jonathan Kaskow, 2B Wayne Kendrick, 2B Mauricio Pimentel, SS Chris Burleson, OF Ryan Doran
Removed from 40-man: RHP Carlos Fisher (outrighted to Triple-A)

The Reds outrighted Carlos Fisher to Louisville to make room for Ryan Ludwick on the 40-man roster. The rest of the moves you see here fall under the housekeeping header. Of the nine players cut by Cincinnati, only Chase Ware (an NDFA from Arkansas State in ’09) was not on the restricted list just prior to release.

redsmetz
03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I think this is this year's minor league transaction thread - again, sorry for having brought forward an older thread, now that folks are putting current updates there.

camisadelgolf
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
The Reds released Ryne Reynoso (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=reynos001ryn) and Randy Yard (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=yard--001ran). Josh Judy was DFAed, so if he isn't claimed on waivers, he'll probably be outrighted to Louisville.

Gallen5862
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/03/minor-league-transactions-march-20-26/

Cincinnati Reds
Released: RHP Jean Duque, LHP Matt Fairel, C Rafael Vera, 1B Chris Richburg
Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Andrew Brackman, 2B Chris Valaika, OF Denis Phipps
Removed from 40-man: RHP Josh Judy (outrighted to Triple-A)

muddie
03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
The Bats should be interesting this year.

camisadelgolf
03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
The Bats should be interesting this year.
The Bats' rotation will average about 3 years older than the Reds' rotation.

Arroyo 35.09
Cueto 26.12
Bailey 25.91
Leake 24.38
Latos 24.31
Chapman 24.08
average age: 26.65

Tomko 38.98
Francis 31.22
Reineke 29.97
Atilano 26.89
Gallagher 26.25
Tanner 24.31
average age: 29.60

JayBruceFan
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Kinda sad to see Fairel and Richburg go

Doc. Scott
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Kinda sad to see Fairel and Richburg go

Fairel was trying to regain it post-arm surgery. The Reds, frankly, didn't give him a heck of a chance after Matt was hit really hard at the end of the season in Bakersfield last year. Why did they not bring him back in a more hospitable pitching environment (like the going-nowhere-at-the-end-of-'11 Carolina squad)? I really wouldn't be surprised if he gets another shot- all he really has to do is hit 89-90 on the gun.

Richburg had some power but just not enough plate discipline to make it as a 25-year-old High-A first baseman.

dougdirt
03-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Fairel was trying to regain it post-arm surgery. The Reds, frankly, didn't give him a heck of a chance after Matt was hit really hard at the end of the season in Bakersfield last year. Why did they not bring him back in a more hospitable pitching environment (like the going-nowhere-at-the-end-of-'11 Carolina squad)? I really wouldn't be surprised if he gets another shot- all he really has to do is hit 89-90 on the gun.

Richburg had some power but just not enough plate discipline to make it as a 25-year-old High-A first baseman.

Have to wonder if he just didn't have the velocity this spring or something.

muddie
04-01-2012, 07:01 PM
James Avery ended up in AA Erie for Detroit.